Page 647 of 828 FirstFirst ... 147547597637643644645646647648649650651657697747 ... LastLast
Results 9,691 to 9,705 of 12408
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think King is emulating someone, but I'm not sure who. My gut says Morrison, but that doesn't sound right.
    I think it feels that way because King likes playing with "superheroes are sad and depressing" themes. And if you look at the structure of Mr Miracle it you can kind of see Moore by way of Morrison, however when look at some of his other work, I think he's more individualistic. Having said that, he's pretty hit of miss. I thought Vision was great, but that Heroes In Crisis was a gawd-awful mess.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it feels that way because King likes playing with "superheroes are sad and depressing" themes. And if you look at the structure of Mr Miracle it you can kind of see Moore by way of Morrison, however when look at some of his other work, I think he's more individualistic. Having said that, he's pretty hit of miss. I thought Vision was great, but that Heroes In Crisis was a gawd-awful mess.
    I get why the "sad and depressing" route would make the most sense, as a reflexive approach. The "it's so awesome to have superpowers!" thing is obvious, and what you would have as the response from being like 7 or 8 years old. So yeah, the downsides would seem like automatically the more adult or mature way to approach the concept. I think an interesting take depends on balancing it out well. That is, you have to always keep in mind that being a superhero or having super powers is only really interesting for its metaphorical aspect -- you're not ever going to really be bulletproof or be able to read minds or whatever, so weaving a really good narrative about any of it -- including not really having powers and just being smart/driven enough to seem superhuman (like Batman/Rorschach/Punisher ... Daredevil?) -- really depends on making the "gifts" of the hero neither a pure curse or just an outright advantage over everyone around them, but something they need to use in the world as a part of who they are, something that can be a blessing and curse, depending on the context.

That's not an easy line to walk, though. I absolutely loved Claremont's X-Men and New Mutants as a kid -- and yeah, as an adult, kind of realize how emo they could be.

Still think it was pretty well done, though!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

I've just watching the exchanges between folks regarding Big Bird and Ted Cruz.

We now live in a world where US Senators attack Sesame Street characters.

I'm really trying to find out what went wrong?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I've just watching the exchanges between folks regarding Big Bird and Ted Cruz.

We now live in a world where US Senators attack Sesame Street characters.

Brave Ted Cruz speaking truth to power...to bad he couldn't stand up to the guy who called his wife ugly and said his father killed JFK.

The sad part though is Ted is far from dumb. He realizes that it's exactly these sort of antics that keep him relevant and keep him in office. And so far he's been right.

My honest opinion these days?

A LOT of humans are dumb idiotic straight up trash.

Some of these politicians learned that if you acted like them, these idiots would think you were "one of them." Social media gave these politicians a way to connect to the dumb idiotic trash.

Ted Cruz went to Harvard Law School. That dude is not dumb at all. He knows exactly what he is doing and he has acted this way BEFORE Trump. Post trump, he just stepped up the ridiculousness to keep himself relevant.

And honestly... I don't think is going to change. I think it will only get worse. GOP has mastered this **** and I honeslty think "centrist" old Dems don't mind it either. GOP realized all they have to do is keep their base "riled" up and they will show up. Then they just need to make it harder for young people nad minorities to make it to the polls and the Dem's cant win.

And really... why whould young people nad minorities sit in line to vote for 6 hours and waste their whole day for.... ????? promised crumbs lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Brave Ted Cruz speaking truth to power...to bad he couldn't stand up to the guy who called his wife ugly and said his father killed JFK.

The sad part though is Ted is far from dumb. He realizes that it's exactly these sort of antics that keep him relevant and keep him in office. And so far he's been right.
    Exactly.

Trump completely humiliated the guy and he couldn't even stand up to him.

Sad thing is that people still vote for him. It really says more about his constituency than himself.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    My honest opinion these days?

A LOT of humans are dumb idiotic straight up trash.

Some of these politicians learned that if you acted like them, these idiots would think you were "one of them." Social media gave these politicians a way to connect to the dumb idiotic trash.

Ted Cruz went to Harvard Law School. That dude is not dumb at all. He knows exactly what he is doing and he has acted this way BEFORE Trump. Post trump, he just stepped up the ridiculousness to keep himself relevant.

And honestly... I don't think is going to change. I think it will only get worse. GOP has mastered this **** and I honeslty think "centrist" old Dems don't mind it either. GOP realized all they have to do is keep their base "riled" up and they will show up. Then they just need to make it harder for young people nad minorities to make it to the polls and the Dem's cant win.

And really... why whould young people nad minorities sit in line to vote for 6 hours and waste their whole day for.... ????? promised crumbs lol?
    Very true.

As Ed pointed out, Cruz is just basically a trash person. He was humiliated by Donald Trump but still panders to him because he needs the votes, the guy knows exactly what he's doing.

But it says a lot about the GOP voters. I believe it was John Boehner that said it several years ago that it's getting to the point that the GOP can put out any crank that says stupid stuff and people were vote for them. It's happened already because a lot of conservatives are more tribal than logical.

And since the Democrats are really and i mean REALLY struggling with messaging, this stuff will likely continue. It's like this because most arguments in the US are framed from a "right-wing" perspective by default and with the GOP moving further to the right, absolute trash talking points like "CRT" and outright lies like "Qanon" and "Capitol riots" spin easily become mainstream.

It's very, very important for democrats to get their messaging out, the in-fighting and attacking the "wokeness" of the party really, really hurts them because it's basically confirming what the right-wing cranks are saying. It's also very, very discouraging to young people and minority that are actually "woke"...especially when minorities vote massively (like African-Americans did for Biden) and legislation for them completely stalls in the house.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-09-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Invincible Member

Very true.

As Ed pointed out, Cruz is just basically a trash person. He was humiliated by Donald Trump but still panders to him because he needs the votes, the guy knows exactly what he's doing.

But it says a lot about the GOP voters. I believe it was John Boehner that said it several years ago that it's getting to the point that the GOP can put out any crank that says stupid stuff and people were vote for them. It's happened already because a lot of conservatives are more tribal than logical.

And since the Democrats are really and i mean REALLY struggling with messaging, this stuff will likely continue. It's like this because most arguments in the US are framed from a "right-wing" perspective by default and with the GOP moving further to the right, absolute trash talking points like "CRT" and outright lies like "Qanon" and "Capitol riots" spin easily become mainstream.

It's very, very important for democrats to get their messaging out, the in-fighting and attacking the "wokeness" of the party really, really hurts them because it's basically confirming what the right-wing cranks are saying. It's also very, very discouraging to young people and minority that are actually "woke"...especially when minorities vote massively (like African-Americans did for Biden) and legislation for them completely stalls in the house.
    Indeed. It's exactly why we have people like Marjorie Taylor Greene in office now. I'm sure there's only more to come.

Agreed. And the thing is stuff like raising the minimum wage, college debt forgiveness, healthcare reform poll really well nationwide even in Red States, however a lot of mainstream Dems think the thing to do is to downplay those issues and tell everyone they will "return things to normal". "Normal" wasn't working for a lot of people...

The democratic party is essentially 2-3 parties smashed together into one unfortunately.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The democratic party is essentially 2-3 parties smashed together into one unfortunately.
    Where is the GOP is all in on who they are and are united. They just kick back and let The Dems fight each other they get their talking points from that and for the most part have a untied front for their cult. They dont even call out that nut Job Greene and all the crazy crap she yells out on a daily basis.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Where is the GOP is all in on who they are and are united. They just kick back and let The Dems fight each other they get their talking points from that and for the most part have a untied front for their cult. They dont even call out that nut Job Greene and all the crazy crap she yells out on a daily basis.
    Exactly this.

James Carville attacked the "woke" arm of the party for the Virginia loss. AOC sniped back at him...how does this help anyone?

The GOP on other hand have absolute nutcases in the party and more moderates like Romney but they are still largely united and voting as an entire block.

Exactly this.

AOC sniped back at him...how does this help anyone?
    It doesn't, at all.

Every time she tweets, it just riles up GOP as a whole.

She is a single US representative she has little to no real power at all. GOP made her into the ultimate boogyman and she walks into every single time for some twitter likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think King is emulating someone, but I'm not sure who. My gut says Morrison, but that doesn't sound right.
    I'd say he's like Bendis but with less padding and dialogue that doesn't get as annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd say he's like Bendis but with less padding and dialogue that doesn't get as annoying.
    His dialogue tends to be more stitled and repeats. So it's a different problem to Bendis who just feels hokey. I think he's just a poor fit for Marvel and DC. He needs to go indie or creator-owned.

I do like Sheriff of Babylon and I'd be happy to see it adapted outside of comics.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-09-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

The straw hats are pretty diverse. The main cast of the live action One Piece:
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?