Page 697 of 827 FirstFirst ... 197597647687693694695696697698699700701707747797 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,455 of 12403

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    A fantastic documentary I'm just getting around to. There is a phrase called 'recreational sadness' Bomani Jones uses, that pertains to what some historic based depictions of historic Black experience can point to, made for film and television. There are some brutal depictions, especially the physical shackles made for children, among other things, but it largley let's the history speak for itself.

Maddening that there are large scale, full blown plans to try and mitigate what actually happened and its effects in this country, from the middle passage right through the civil rights struggles and on. Another version of Robinson's lecture is here but the Netflix presentation is fantastic. He breaks so much of the narrative down in parts and numbers and quotes, to achieve a larger picture of what most of us realize already and new stuff too.
    I don't know how far you take it in schools, because they are kids afterall and throwing the horrors of slavery on a 9 year old is probably a bit much, but slavery, jim crow, even lynching has been so sanitized, it doesn't seem "that bad." Work a little in a field, get whipped if your bad, get housing and fed.

People can't even relate to back breaking field work in the southern heat, let alone the rest.

My (white) dad recently went to one of the err civil rights or slavery museums in alabama... he came back and said, "I didn't realize lynching was like THAT." aka a spectacle for white people to watch a black guy tortured while they ate food and took pictures for god sake. It wasn't, "white man shoots black guy who did something wrong." It was a whole society that was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    it seems that a lot of white people don't know how to handle this information.
    The "bad" ones took the information and gave us Trumpism. The "good ones" allowed Trumpism to spread due to indifference because it didn't effect them (until it did). And thats how you get a supremely fucked Supreme Court where the one black guy is the worst of them all.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't know if I'm more offended by the tweet or the embarrassing narration.
    Tweet was bad but reading that comic narration was terrible too.

Marvel’s editorial really messed up with that sort of nonsense.

“By Orin’s fade”? “Asgard is his hood?? Who wrote that goofy nonsense???
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-18-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Responses like that tweet will only convince the writer and whoever okayed that page that there was nothing wrong with it. They can argue that they "pissed off the right people".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Responses like that tweet will only convince the writer and whoever okayed that page that there was nothing wrong with it. They can argue that they "pissed off the right people".
    Very, very true.

That tweet was terribly hyperbolic and racist but the writing in that panel was a big ooooff.

Thor-Miles also talks to Huggin and Munnin, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were renamed to "Thuggin and Buggin."

My years as a researcher have paid off. This is the writer in question. He is Mexican and Jewish, he lives in Burbank, which has a low Black population, he's originally from Austin Texas, and he is also the author of a kids book called Sci-fu, which is an interesting concept I admit, and, on the surface at least, doesn't seem as egregious as this what if.

So apparently the editors didn't have any problem with this...at all..on Juneteenth week no less. I went to college with a White-Latino guy who thought he was an honorary black because he got an A in a black studies class. This book is horrifically tone deaf. Even worse than the America Chavez book a few years ago. Marvel really has to stop hiring hipsters to write for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't know how far you take it in schools, because they are kids afterall and throwing the horrors of slavery on a 9 year old is probably a bit much, but slavery, jim crow, even lynching has been so sanitized, it doesn't seem "that bad." Work a little in a field, get whipped if your bad, get housing and fed.

People can't even relate to back breaking field work in the southern heat, let alone the rest.

My (white) dad recently went to one of the err civil rights or slavery museums in alabama... he came back and said, "I didn't realize lynching was like THAT." aka a spectacle for white people to watch a black guy tortured while they ate food and took pictures for god sake. It wasn't, "white man shoots black guy who did something wrong." It was a whole society that was broken.

The "bad" ones took the information and gave us Trumpism. The "good ones" allowed Trumpism to spread due to indifference because it didn't effect them (until it did). And thats how you get a supremely fucked Supreme Court where the one black guy is the worst of them all.
    I learned about the Holocaust when I was 9 and it was horrifying. But I understood why we needed to learn about it so that we recognize it in the present before it gets to that point.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I learned about the Holocaust when I was 9 and it was horrifying. But I understood why we needed to learn about it so that we recognize it in the present before it gets to that point.
    That is a really goood point actually
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

This isnt surprising at all.

People don't feel the need to hide their racism at all these days.

EDIT: I didn’t even read the comic narration, good lord, that was bad. Who wrote that???

The writer was born in Mexico and grew up in Houston Texas.

He formerly worked at Disney and then moved out to California.

He has a show pending on Cartoon Network and seems to have done a lot of stuff got them.

He is more well know for his now two book Sci Fu-about a black kid that wants to be a DJ in the 80s and gets caught up in some alien war after he gets transported to their world.

I didn't know there was going to be a volume 2 and I own that first book. Hip hop references are somewhat there to.

He has written the current Ghostrider in one of the pride books.

He has a Shazam book slated for November 2022

And a Batman project in the future.

He also done a book called Buffalo Speedway. A book endorsed by Gerry Duggan.

Also, the writer and artist are of Latino decent so you'd think they'd know better.
    So far based on what I have read it's just the Thor issue and Sci-Fu books that do it.

Not sure about Buffalo because of the hard time I have had finding it.

Ultimate Member

Same editor as Miles's main book.

That is a really goood point actually
    Well, why do you think so many white people in America think racism was never that bad? It's because they never really learned about the true horror of it. And governors like Abbot and DeSantis want to keep it that way.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Well, why do you think so many white people in America think racism was never that bad? It's because they never really learned about the true horror of it. And governors like Abbot and DeSantis want to keep it that way.
    White Innocence at it again.

Ultimate Member

Depending on the school district something like this would not be shown to kid until at least 9th-0th grade.

And rarely does it get to those extremes of the documentary.

It would be more details in words versus pictures.

Ultimate Member

To a certain point Abbot nor DESantis should have a say.

At least in Texas the textbooks used are approved first at the state level and EVERYONE has a chance to look over said material including the public. Generally around March Madness time.

Then the textbooks that are approve at the state level by House & Senate of that state are offered to the schools where that same process happens again.

So if you have a book and I have a book it would be up to the individual school district to choose which one to adopt.

And here is another FYI for everybody because Texas is so big most publishers present to other states whatever book Texas approved. Not the state history book as those will vary by state for those that teach that in the 7th grade.

Pretty much 8th grade and up.

Now in Texas we do have FINALLY a black history course for credits that a school district can offer. Texas offer it as an elective. Texas is the only red state that offers it.

https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/..._July_2020.pdf

I am not sure what it fully looks like as my school (due to certifications and staffing) can't teacher electives. At least not yet.

Ultimate Member

Met some celebs today on the last day of Fan Fest 2022.

Met Levar Burton...

With this shirt on..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X75&th=1&psc=1

"That's a bad ass shirt" Yes I got Commander Laforge to cuss.

I got a lot of love for that shirt-the first time I wore it in public.

Met Erik King from Dexter.

Met Austin St John and Karen Ashley from Power Rangers. They were not even announced to be there with Zordon.

Met Freddie Williams and Humbert Ramos and Ryan Ottley from Invincible.

Even met one or the guy behind Muppet Babies and he pointed out Universal Studios is the main reason we don't have that show on DVD.

Did not met Giancarlo Esposito nor the 4 Hobbits from Lords of the Rings-you could not see them from how long the lines were. Same with Alexa BLiss.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Met some celebs today on the last day of Fan Fest 2022.

Met Levar Burton...

With this shirt on..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X75&th=1&psc=1

"That's a bad ass shirt" Yes I got Commander Laforge to cuss.

I got a lot of love for that shirt-the first time I wore it in public.

Met Erik King from Dexter.

Met Austin St John and Karen Ashley from Power Rangers. They were not even announced to be there with Zordon.

Met Freddie Williams and Humbert Ramos and Ryan Ottley from Invincible.

Even met one or the guy behind Muppet Babies and he pointed out Universal Studios is the main reason we don't have that show on DVD.

Did not met Giancarlo Esposito nor the 4 Hobbits from Lords of the Rings-you could not see them from how long the lines were. Same with Alexa BLiss.
    Universal holds the rights to Muppet Babies?

I thought Disney bought all of that stuff (I.e Jim Henson’s Creatures).