Page 701 of 826 FirstFirst ... 201601651691697698699700701702703704705711751801 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,515 of 12381

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    If you use chrome there's a desktop extension called Stay focused, you can add sites to a blocklist and set the amount of time you can be on the site until it's blocked, or you can use the "nuclear option" to block the site for a set amount of time. I block them out all day at work.
    I mod r/marvel and r/blackpanther and then I follow certain niche subreddits. The niche hobby subreddits are generally fine and cool (like aquariums, smaller video games, like monsterhunter, and powerlifting stuff).

But, dear god, it is so easy to click something and end up seeing the "popular" megasubreddits and it is just doomscrolling and really easy to get sucked in to seeing toxic **** over and over.

And each megasub has its own brand of toxic. Whether its depression, outright white supremacy, liberal white supremacy, women hating, man hating (the woman subs do the same thing)... if the "black only" type subs turn into militant hate white people toxic stuff.

It is just like if you get TOO many people... the toxic loud parts slowly take over until that is all that is left.

traditional forums like CBR, it is harder to build that toxic base becaues threads just build one after another. The loud minority kinda gets drowned out a bit.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mod r/marvel and r/blackpanther and then I follow certain niche subreddits. The niche hobby subreddits are generally fine and cool (like aquariums, smaller video games, like monsterhunter, and powerlifting stuff).

But, dear god, it is so easy to click something and end up seeing the "popular" megasubreddits and it is just doomscrolling and really easy to get sucked in to seeing toxic **** over and over.

And each megasub has its own brand of toxic. Whether its depression, outright white supremacy, liberal white supremacy, women hating, man hating (the woman subs do the same thing)... if the "black only" type subs turn into militant hate white people toxic stuff.

It is just like if you get TOO many people... the toxic loud parts slowly take over until that is all that is left.

traditional forums like CBR, it is harder to build that toxic base becaues threads just build one after another. The loud minority kinda gets drowned out a bit.
    I couldn't imagine being a Mod, that sounds stressful, but I think I might try following smaller subs.

I have been making more of an effort to wean myself off of more political subreddits as I fear they are turning my brain into oatmeal. I have to keep reminding myself that reddit is filled with teenagers and 20-somethings that don't really have a good scope of themselves and the world around them, mostly because they don't go outside. Reddit would have them all convinced that they're going to die alone and destitute if they don't have their lives completely figured out by the time they turn 30. I would never use Reddit for relationship, dating, financial, or health advice.

The social issues subreddits are a nightmare.

Mensrights is full of men that hate women.

TwoX and TrollX are filled with women that hate men.

Menslib is full of men that hate themselves, other men, and loves to pretend that men of color don't exist.

Reddit in general has this weird frothing at the mouth hatred for children that is disturbing to say the least. Even if I didn't like kids I would never call them parasites or some of the other repugnant things they say about them.

Maybe it doesn't affect me that much because I'm older, or that my history on forums made me realize that fighting on the internet is really stupid.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 06-26-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I couldn't imagine being a Mod, that sounds stressful, but I think I might try following smaller subs.

I have been making more of an effort to wean myself off of more political subreddits as I fear they are turning my brain into oatmeal. I have to keep reminding myself that reddit is filled with teenagers and 20-somethings that don't really have a good scope of themselves and the world around them, mostly because they don't go outside. Reddit would have them all convinced that they're going to die alone and destitute if they don't have their lives completely figured out by the time they turn 30. I would never use Reddit for relationship, dating, financial, or health advice.

Menslib is full of men that hate themselves, other men, and loves to pretend that men of color don't exist.

Reddit in general has this weird frothing at the mouth hatred for children that is disturbing to say the least. Even if I didn't like kids I would never call them parasites or some of the other repugnant things they say about them.

Maybe it doesn't affect me that much because I'm older, or that my history on forums made me realize that fighting on the internet is really stupid.
    I’ve always said old school message boards were better then modern social media. I always thought the conversations were more intelligent and the toxicity was toned down( or at least segmented off into its own little corner).

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’ve always said old school message boards were better then modern social media. I always thought the conversations were more intelligent and the toxicity was toned down( or at least segmented off into its own little corner).
    Maybe it's selective memory or nostalgia on my part, but I feel like before social media came along the internet used to be fun.

Ultimate Member

That anti-children thing is something I noticed on Instagram interestingly.

Some people have some "strange" views on kids.

Ultimate Member

Maybe it's selective memory or nostalgia on my part, but I feel like before social media came along the internet used to be fun.
    I think everything just got worse with "gamergate". The toxicity that movement brought never went away and it permeates everything.

Although I will say I stopped interacting with gaming communities for over 10 years now. The sheer amount of toxicity in the gaming community is unbelievable and with more and more young people (mostly young men) interacting with themselves only virtually, a lot of people simply don't know "how to behave". They formulate their opinion and ideology almost entirely on stereotypes.

I see more and more young men aligning with "men's rights" movements and even becoming incels....for no reason at all. As MindofShadow pointed out, a lot of young people don't get out as much as the previous generation and don't know how to act with other people. I didn't grow up with social media and the internet so the way we interacted with our peers was completely different. Our opinions weren't really shaped by stereotypes and this anti-women thing wasn't really a thing in my time but I guess its always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The Reddit thing may be more about a specific subcommunity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularop...sub_on_reddit/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Social media has always been part of the internet. It's just that AOL chatrooms were never as popular as Facebook, possibly because not as many people had high speed connections back then as opposed to now.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I couldn't imagine being a Mod, that sounds stressful, .
    It's not that bad if you don't care lol.

I used ot "explain" why I did something and you just end up arguing with some 20 year old loser.

Now I just ban and mute and move on for certain posts types. You learn to tell who just messed up vs who is a loser.

I do it because I want to talk about comics, not deal with toxic dorks. I've eliminated a ton of hateful parts of the fandom and its... nice lol. I've basically made a "safe space" to the best of my time abilities lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Reddit thing may be more about a specific subcommunity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularop...sub_on_reddit/
    r/childfree is a perfect example of the worst parts of social media.

It made sense initially. It was a group of people who just didn't want kids but a lot of people don't understand that. Came together for support, ect.

a small population of them didn't just not want kids... they HATE kids. and they got louder adn loudrer. the mods of CF could have stamped it out fast and didnt... it grew and grew... the sane people leave, the crazies stays, and it morphs into just another hate space.

This is compounded by the population demographics of reddit... young, male, with a high dose of "loser." or young, male, tech bro. They probably don't have real friends, definitely don't have girlfriends, so they justify that they wont' ever have sex with "well I don't like kids anyway!" and it turns toxic as possible.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

R.Kelly got 30 years.

Wow...they finally got him.

Ultimate Member

Kimberly Elise came under fire for her abortion stand. I can't say I'm surprised given her religious inclination.

I don't agree with her views at all. However, I really, REALLY hate the way some liberals "talk down" to POC. It's something I've seen a lot of and it's partly why I've almost completely jumped out of social media. People don't understand that you can disagree with an individual without disparaging said person.

It's the same argument we had with the Chapelle thing some months back (and why I completely ignored some really offensive comments some folks made here in the course of that discussion). It's also how some folks were "blaming black men" for not voting how they wanted during the last elections. I find out that some of these "liberals" hold views just as intolerant and annoying as the conservatives they claim to fight against.

Kimberly Elise came under fire for her abortion stand. I can't say I'm surprised given her religious inclination.

I don't agree with her views at all. However, I really, REALLY hate the way some liberals "talk down" to POC. It's something I've seen a lot of and it's partly why I've almost completely jumped out of social media. People don't understand that you can disagree with an individual without disparaging said person.

It's the same argument we had with the Chapelle thing some months back (and why I completely ignored some really offensive comments some folks made here in the course of that discussion). It's also how some folks were "blaming black men" for not voting how they wanted during the last elections. I find out that some of these "liberals" hold views just as intolerant and annoying as the conservatives they claim to fight against.
    That chrome extensions someone posted (can't remember who sorry) has already been great for me.

I do most of my surfing on PC at work, not on my phone though.

I just banned a few places that I casually click on out of habit and its been great

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

R.Kelly got 30 years.

Wow...they finally got him.
    I had thought he was already sentenced a long time ago. R. Kelly's fall is one of the most epic ones ever done. But as someone said in a news special years ago , he was a man who could sing inspirational songs like "I Believe I Can Fly" next to some very...suggestive r rated songs. Like he was battling who he really was vs. the image he tried to present at one time.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ice Cube said that the democrats need to do more tangible things for black people and the internet called him every name except the one his mother gave him. He didn't say he was going to vote for Trump, he just wanted to talk to him. The Biden camp said not until after the election. White liberals get really really mad when black people, particularly black men, question them. Four out of five black men voted for Biden/Harris and that still wasn't good enough. Wanting something in exchange for your vote isn't selfish, it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That chrome extensions someone posted (can't remember who sorry) has already been great for me.

I do most of my surfing on PC at work, not on my phone though.

I just banned a few places that I casually click on out of habit and its been great
    That was me. Im glad stayfocused helped you out. I honestly didn't expect how much better it feels without having the specter of social media around me.

Ice Cube said that the democrats need to do more tangible things for black people and the internet called him every name except the one his mother gave him. He didn't say he was going to vote for Trump, he just wanted to talk to him. The Biden camp said not until after the election. White liberals get really really mad when black people, particularly black men, question them. Four out of five black men voted for Biden/Harris and that still wasn't good enough. Wanting something in exchange for your vote isn't selfish, it's normal.
    Typical democratic party crap.

Do absolutely nothing for certain demographics aka minorities and young people and then act absolutely offended that they "don't vote."

They better hope the Roe decision fires up the younger crowd because they didn't do a single thing they promised to them. There will be extreme voter apathy if Roe doesn't do it.

That was me. Im glad stayfocused helped you out. I honestly didn't expect how much better it feels without having the specter of social media around me.
    I noticed i don't miss it at all. I was purely clicking out of habit