Page 706 of 828 FirstFirst ... 206606656696702703704705706707708709710716756806 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,590 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think one issue with this topic is that some don't see it as a problem and maybe even a good thing.

So it is hard to change something if half the people don't mind it.

If that makes sense.
    Yes, it makes a lot of sense.

It's even touched upon in the video. A staggering number of men have been sexually assaulted (and in some cases have actually experienced statutory rape) but a lot of guys don't care.

On a broader note, the hip-hop industry has also perpetuated the sexualization of black men and it's become so commodified that it's become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    On a broader note, the hip-hop industry has also perpetuated the sexualization of black men and it's become so commodified that it's become the norm.
    This is the point I was going to make. And shit, that video was a lot and I'm still not finished with it. The way a couple of the Panther Party members ended up is wild but anyway.

Hip-Hop has meant a lot to me, overwhelmingly more positive but the older I get I realize some of the perpetuated bs was funky too. I'm not going as far as to say 'the industry' pushed a certain narrative, idk. This was an art form originated by disadvantaged but talented young Black males and the roots of that art came with baggage. When you target audience is droves of hetro males, that body image didn't figure per sea but I understand the point that the content of a lot of the music, was more adult that it had a right to be at times. The early 90's... yo, what can I say. The sexualization among the youth at that time was a lot, pressures were around a lot, biker shorts in the videos was a lot. Girls grew up quick and there have always been pressure from other brothas. Not just to have a girlfriend but to push it as far as you could. Some cats folks warned them of the ills, some didn't or had the blinders on, some parents let them figure it out, some had bad examples at the crib.

I can put only so much on Hip-Hop at the end of the day but amongst peers, you couldn't always tell the bluster from the real. I'm public school. Seemed like a good number of real lol. I feel everybody knew that one dude that was supposedly knockin' it down on the regular in 11th grade, I knew a bunch of them. 'Sex, Lies and Videotape' wasn't just a movie.

As far as the extreme parts of it, to me, that's some 1% shit in a lot of ways in practice.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This is the point I was going to make. And shit, that video was a lot and I'm still not finished with it. The way a couple of the Panther Party members ended up is wild but anyway.

Hip-Hop has meant a lot to me, overwhelmingly more positive but the older I get I realize some of the perpetuated bs was funky too. I'm not going as far as to say 'the industry' pushed a certain narrative, idk. This was an art form originated by disadvantaged but talented young Black males and the roots of that art came with baggage. When you target audience is droves of hetro males, that body image didn't figure per sea but I understand the point that the content of a lot of the music, was more adult that it had a right to be at times. The early 90's... yo, what can I say. The sexualization among the youth at that time was a lot, pressures were around a lot, biker shorts in the videos was a lot. Girls grew up quick and there have always been pressure from other brothas. Not just to have a girlfriend but to push it as far as you could. Some cats folks warned them of the ills, some didn't or had the blinders on, some parents let them figure it out, some had bad examples at the crib.

I can put only so much on Hip-Hop at the end of the day but amongst peers, you couldn't always tell the bluster from the real. I'm public school. Seemed like a good number of real lol. I feel everybody knew that one dude that was supposedly knockin' it down on the regular in 11th grade, I knew a bunch of them. 'Sex, Lies and Videotape' wasn't just a movie.

As far as the extreme parts of it, to me, that's some 1% shit in a lot of ways in practice.
    I actually got into an argument with my cousin about video vixens. She was trying to tell me about Soldier Boy's "Superman" video, I told her that I already knew and that I didn't like it. I didn't blame the women who were in the videos, they were just taking a job, I blamed the men who were exploiting them. She got mad at me and blamed the women, she said that they were degrading themselves and they didn't have to take the money. It was a very bizarre.

I don't know why, but I've never been into hip hop, I was always around it, my relatives love it, but I don't. Something just didn't click I suppose. I tell people that I'm a Rush fan, I don't have good taste in music.

I dont think I've seen a new live music video in... a decade maybe? (jesus lol), so I may be out of pocket but

The rap music videos when I was in High School were WILD lol. IDK if its calmed down or not but... lol

IF people don't think that influenced people, they are in denial.

My wife and I sometimes try and find old music videos for funnies and... holy shit lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I actually got into an argument with my cousin about video vixens. She was trying to tell me about Soldier Boy's "Superman" video, I told her that I already knew and that I didn't like it. I didn't blame the women who were in the videos, they were just taking a job, I blamed the men who were exploiting them. She got mad at me and blamed the women, she said that they were degrading themselves and they didn't have to take the money. It was a very bizarre.

I don't know why, but I've never been into hip hop, I was always around it, my relatives love it, but I don't. Something just didn't click I suppose. I tell people that I'm a Rush fan, I don't have good taste in music.
    I can get that. There is a relatively small amount of rap and hip-hop songs I like compared to other genres. It really just boils down to taste much of the time.

Invincible Member

Eric July AKA Youngrippa made like $1.5 mil on Go Fund Me for his Rippaverse comic book line. I think the Comic Book Subreddit has banned him though? On the one hand being able to raise that kind of money has got to inspiring for indie creators especially PoC. On the other hand, he was able to raise that money from being an anti-SJW grifter. I'm curious as to how long he'll be able to deliver for his fans before going the way of some previous C*m*csg*t* folks who put out comics ( extremely late, shoddy product, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Eric July AKA Youngrippa made like $1.5 mil on Go Fund Me for his Rippaverse comic book line. I think the Comic Book Subreddit has banned him though? On the one hand being able to raise that kind of money has got to inspiring for indie creators especially PoC. On the other hand, he was able to raise that money from being an anti-SJW grifter. I'm curious as to how long he'll be able to deliver for his fans before going the way of some previous C*m*csg*t* folks who put out comics ( extremely late, shoddy product, etc).
    I perma ban everyone that randomly posts his stuff int he marvel subreddit because it always comes from Cgate people. Every time.

He's never finishing the line

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I perma ban everyone that randomly posts his stuff int he marvel subreddit because it always comes from Cgate people. Every time.

He's never finishing the line
    Isn't he charging some crazy amount per issue?

It doesn't seem like it's sustainable at all.

Beyond that, I can't support the guy at all. He's a hardcore comicsgater grifter, I can't stand those guys.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can get that. There is a relatively small amount of rap and hip-hop songs I like compared to other genres. It really just boils down to taste much of the time.
    Interestingly the video actually touched on that.

A lot of hip-hop sales aren't too black men.

Statistically, I think about 60-70% (?) isn't to black people at all.

Invincible Member

Isn't he charging some crazy amount per issue?

It doesn't seem like it's sustainable at all.

Beyond that, I can't support the guy at all. He's a hardcore comicsgater grifter, I can't stand those guys.
    Yeah, the basic standard price of the initial issue of Isom is $30-35 depending which variant you want. 96 pages which is less than a trade. T-Shirts are $88. Wall Posters are $100. And Trading Cards are $100! Plus there's a bunch other merch. I don't know if he has a long term plan for his company, I think he's just wants to strike now while the iron's still hot. He's got his personal fans, the Gate crow, he crosses over with Geeks and Gamers, and I don't doubt there's probably a little overlap with the Steven Crowder type of young conservatives.
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-21-2022 at 11:40 AM.

Yeah, the basic standard price of the initial issue of Isom is $30-35 depending which variant you want. 96 pages which is less than a trade. T-Shirts are $88. Wall Posters are $100. And Trading Cards are $100! Plus there's a bunch other merch. I don't know if he has a long term plan for his company, I think he's just wants to strike now while the iron's still hot. He's got his personal fans, the Gate crow, he crosses over with Geeks and Gamers, and I don't doubt there's probably a little overlap with the Steven Crowder type of young conservatives.
    Who's going to pay that much for a single? Is their hatred that strong? Oh, who am I kidding of course it is.

One of the worst things about the gators is that they take legitimate criticism and drown it in bigotry/stupidity. Like the Obi-Wan show for example.

Normal Person: "Hey the Reva character has a poor motivation, she joined the empire for a chance to get Vader even though from the jump she was nowhere near strong enough to stop him, this character isn't written very well."

Gator: "This show is WOKE like the rest of Disney Star Wars, REVA IS AN OVERPOWERED MARY SUE!" (even though Vader beats her with her own lightsaber and she never gets one over on Obi Wan either.)

I just want them to go back to their swamp and leave the rest of us alone.

You're both right. That was a real wave back then though. Half marketing and half gaze. More than half gaze really. On some level I DO see that those King magazines and them 2000's videos purported an image that really was not pushed into the mainstream before. And yes there weren't A TON of darker skin sistas, but they were there. All those Dominican freaks were kind of overrepresented imo. Highly sexualized and all had a part but at least they weren't tryin' to look like caucasian chicks. Whatever that's worth.

I dont think I've seen a new live music video in... a decade maybe? (jesus lol), so I may be out of pocket but

The rap music videos when I was in High School were WILD lol. IDK if its calmed down or not but... lol

IF people don't think that influenced people, they are in denial.

My wife and I sometimes try and find old music videos for funnies and... holy shit lol.
    Wild he says. *insert chef's kiss gif. Damn straight, although you right they've tamed overall since. BET Uncut anybody? Shiit, Tip Drill video is still the gold standard imo. You run a credit card down a chicks thong and mans took the crown from Luke after that.

Plenty of young chicks can rap and shake they own ass in the video. WAY more fuckin' guns and bricks of cash in the videos by these young bois nowsadays, that shit is lowkey scary. I used to think N.W.A. and The Chronic was a ceiling of sorts. It was not.

Interestingly the video actually touched on that.

A lot of hip-hop sales aren't too black men.

Statistically, I think about 60-70% (?) isn't to black people at all.
    Yea but Hip-Hop still 'speaks' to the block aka young Black audience, by a large of course. Sure the majority does push the sales. All rappers have that story of their first big tour and that big surprise that it's 90% white attendance. I've seen that for myself several times over the decades at traveling tours. Black people have ALWAYS talked to each other in music, everybody else just enjoys the listen. I was watchin' an older doc about Jewish comedians and one of the younger ones even mentioned that our society phone texts 'Black'. It's the default cool and nothing comes close, that isn't seen as bitting fwiw.

I tell people that I'm a Rush fan, I don't have good taste in music.
    Shoutout to RUSH, RIP Neal Peart. RIP to Taylor Hawkins too, I've been listening to Dave Ghrol in on iteration to another since High School. I like rock by and large too, not the metal really. Or punk. I get the merits but that to me it comes across as brat music :shrug:. I have always been jealous on the low that it's members can keep doin' their thing for way longer than the boom-bapers.

Still, I couldn't imagine telling anybody I deal with on an interpersonal level that I dig RUSH cause they'd be like who is RUSH.
    You bet yer ass.

[font=georgia]

[font=georgia]Wild he says. *insert chef's kiss gif. Damn straight, although you right they've tamed overall since. BET Uncut anybody? Shiit, Tip Drill video is still the gold standard imo. You run a credit card down a chicks thong and mans took the crown from Luke after that.
    is that what BET afterdark or whatever was called lol

I vividly remember the tip drill video

My wife had never seen it and I actually found it to show her and she was like "wait this was onTV" lol

Holy hannah. I don't know who dude is but I have to think that the brothas that deal in the space, don't really give 2 shits and they are fine with taking as much money from that end of white things as possible. Kind of like Jason Whitlock, dude just keep circling the drain by way of outlets for his bullshit but he's still rockin'. Candance Owens is making a living. There is money out there, there are a couple of non ESPN sports personalities I used to listen to and after Trump I always felt some dark money came into play cause views seemed to change.

I guess any kind of grift has to prey on ignorance, bigots cash check too I guess.

is that what BET afterdark or whatever was called lol

I vividly remember the tip drill video

My wife had never seen it and I actually found it to show her and she was like "wait this was onTV" lol

Haha, on TV at a certain hour but yes it was.
    You bet yer ass.

[font=georgia]

Shoutout to RUSH, RIP Neal Peart. RIP to Taylor Hawkins too, I've been listening to Dave Ghrol in on iteration to another since High School. I like rock by and large too, not the metal really. Or punk. I get the merits but that to me it comes across as brat music :shrug:. I have always been jealous on the low that it's members can keep doin' their thing for way longer than the boom-bapers.

Still, I couldn't imagine telling anybody I deal with on an interpersonal level that I dig RUSH cause they'd be like who is RUSH.
    I, like a lot of other fans, thought Neil was riding motorcycles, being with his family, writing books, hell he probably would have started a podcast. We all knew how private he was, so him being sick was the last thing on our minds. I get not being into metal and its various sub-genres, black, death, Nu, thrash, speed, because it all sounds the same to me, but I do like Djent though. Animals as leaders is a great band. Tosin Abasi is black too, which is cool. I can listen to punk because I grew up playing pro skater and crazy taxi, the early 2000's were a strange time.

I've actually been teaching myself how to play drums, I needed something to do during the pandemic. Turns out, I'm not terrible.

Have you seen Cinema Strangiato? I saw it twice, it's as close to a concert I'll ever get and I'm okay with it. Alex has started a new band, Envy of None, Geddy wrote a memoir and they made their own beer. I don't know if it'll ever come to the states though, it has to eventually.

Whenever Rush is played on the radio, it's always Tom Sawyer, Freewill, Working Man, Limelight, maybe Subdivisions, and that's about it. Even on classic rock stations it's rare.