Page 711 of 828 FirstFirst ... 211611661701707708709710711712713714715721761811 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,665 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I find nothing wrong with being sexually objectified compared to being portrayed as sexless castrated eunuchs incapable of sexual appeal to anyone or anybody no different that a glorified wall paper or pin cushion.

Should black men now be offended when someone tells them they look attractive?!? WTF?!?
    Did you watch the video?

Who said anyone should be offended if they are told they look attractive?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is a middle ground between these two extremes.
    Exactly this and the video even addressed it.

Batgirl is getting dumped despite being done ????

execs gonna exec lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

The “go woke, go broke” mob are excited by the Batgirl news.

But like I said in the movies forum, I won’t be surprised if the new owners of WB share similar philosophy. Between the leaked Amy Paschal emails and stories of how studio execs didn’t believe a black man could sell an action movie overseas (The Equalizer), these top guys aren’t “woke or progressive”.

Although, I’m reading that the Batgirl dump is because of “tax write-offs” or the new ownership doesn’t believe in HBO Max at all (Its said they want to fold HBO Max in Discovery+ ); I won’t be surprised if the new WB execs simply don’t want or don’t believe that a female minority-led superhero movie could do well in theaters or on streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

But like I said in the movies forum, I won’t be surprised if the new owners of WB share similar philosophy. Between the leaked Amy Paschal emails and stories of how studio execs didn’t believe a black man could sell an action movie overseas (The Equalizer), these top guys aren’t “woke or progressive”.

Although, I’m reading that the Batgirl dump is because of “tax write-offs” or the new ownership doesn’t believe in HBO Max at all (Its said they want to fold HBO Max in Discovery+ ); I won’t be surprised if the new WB execs simply don’t want or don’t believe that a female minority-led superhero movie could do well in theaters or on streaming.
    I didn't know Discovery+ existed until yesterday lol

folding HBO max seems.... wild. Netflix, D+, HBO, and Hulu seem like the 4 streaming things people actually use....

might have to watch some things on HBO max quick before their gone lol (password swap with a friend...)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

That kind of stinks, I like HBO Max. It's one of the few paid streaming services I use. There are too many streaming services anyway, sometimes I think would would happen if I dropped all the paid ones and just stuck to the freebies. PlutoTV, Tubi, Freevee, Plex, etc.
    All the bad stuff with the DCEU started with Batman V Superman and Whedon's Justice League. Maybe it would be easier to start over.

Extraordinary Member

Dumping the Batgirl movie feels like a chaotic mistake making a potentially chaotic and wasteful opportunity worse regardless of the products lost potential or quality control issues; streaming has changed the standards by which movies can bomb, and to be frank, there’s likely a lot worse movies available on the streaming networks this film would be “competing” with.

It *does* smell like a dubious film ultimately doomed more by the previous regime casting a POC as a female lead superhero, and a boy’s club new regime coming in holding it to deliberately impossible standards.

I mean, considering it’s tied to The Flash by the inclusion of Keaton, I’d expect either that film to be cancelled as well, or Batgirl to continue on because Keaton alone would probably bring in a “nostalgia spike” in views upon its release. And it’s still a comparatively cheap superhero movie, right?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Like Mindshadow said-if proper history was taught-this would not be such an issue.
    Been thinking about this a lot. Barbarianism as a tool, as an actual practice. As a means to a conceptual end (at it's most 'hopeful'), is just a historic reality. Start. On a rudimentary level of course it's a tough subject to broach in any context, historically or currently. My Western bias is in place here but I feel the further things are from an American interest, the easier it is for them to comprehend, on a general level. We're trained to be cogs. Funky part is the barbarianism is the foundation of what has been built here. State sanctioned ethnic funneling and cleansing is a brutal lesson plan but it shouldn't be avoided with the speed of sound in the other direction like it has been. That's the reality, the citizens at the business end of the American gun, DO tell their children as best they can about situations and save mostly from the goriest details, are taught these things. Why can't the rest of them keep up?

That's where the other part comes in where full grown adults are learning truths about the history of the U.S. that were not hip to prior. Specifics, receipts, slave insurance. I start with my two littles about the micro aggression ****, it's most common. They can grasp those concepts. Come to find out little girls are terrible to each other so there can be a basis in some actions. From not just the students either but with the teachers who I bring up certain topics by way of conversations during the meets. They have expectations and so do I. You don't have to hit anybody on the head with anything but I don't feel in mincing words either. It's a daily process but it has to be done.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Batgirl is getting dumped despite being done ????

execs gonna exec lol.
    Maaan I seen that last night, movie studios business model is to put out dreck. Uwe Boll and David Goyer are rich men because of this studio model. I can't believe in the first that this movie has gotten this far- beyond development, script re-wrights, casting that NOW, it's so bad that it's to the point of embarrassment. AND you've gotten Keaton on film again? TFOH, I agree this has shades of Synder-verse to it, to what end I'm not sure but can anyone with clear thought in their head feel this was gonna be on some ground breaking **** off rip? This filmed cape thing is going on it's 4th highly profitable decade at this point.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Did you watch the video?

Who said anyone should be offended if they are told they look attractive?
    Yeah that's kind of his thing, he'll quote you AND the video, with questions that are answered IN the video. Weirdest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Been thinking about this a lot. Barbarianism as a tool, as an actual practice. As a means to a conceptual end (at it's most 'hopeful'), is just a historic reality. Start. On a rudimentary level of course it's a tough subject to broach in any context, historically or currently. My Western bias is in place here but I feel the further things are from an American interest, the easier it is for them to comprehend, on a general level. We're trained to be cogs. Funky part is the barbarianism is the foundation of what has been built here. State sanctioned ethnic funneling and cleansing is a brutal lesson plan but it shouldn't be avoided with the speed of sound in the other direction like it has been. That's the reality, the citizens at the business end of the American gun, DO tell their children as best they can about situations and save mostly from the goriest details, are taught these things. Why can't the rest of them keep up?

That's where the other part comes in where full grown adults are learning truths about the history of the U.S. that were not hip to prior. Specifics, receipts, slave insurance. I start with my two littles about the micro aggression ****, it's most common. They can grasp those concepts. Come to find out little girls are terrible to each other so there can be a basis in some actions. From not just the students either but with the teachers who I bring up certain topics by way of conversations during the meets. They have expectations and so do I. You don't have to hit anybody on the head with anything but I don't feel in mincing words either. It's a daily process but it has to be done.
    My family is mostly women, so I've seen first hand how nasty little girls can be towards one another well into old age. Grudges they refuse to let go of, jealousy, ground axes so sharp they could cut through adamantium. It's always so strange to me to see families that actually seem to get along with each other, that actually don't mind being together.

One thing that I learned about racism that stuck with me as a kid was about cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse wearing gloves, apparently that was inspired by minstrel shows, no one ever bothered to change the tradition.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Dumping the Batgirl movie feels like a chaotic mistake making a potentially chaotic and wasteful opportunity worse regardless of the products lost potential or quality control issues; streaming has changed the standards by which movies can bomb, and to be frank, there’s likely a lot worse movies available on the streaming networks this film would be “competing” with.

It *does* smell like a dubious film ultimately doomed more by the previous regime casting a POC as a female lead superhero, and a boy’s club new regime coming in holding it to deliberately impossible standards.

I mean, considering it’s tied to The Flash by the inclusion of Keaton, I’d expect either that film to be cancelled as well, or Batgirl to continue on because Keaton alone would probably bring in a “nostalgia spike” in views upon its release. And it’s still a comparatively cheap superhero movie, right?
    Exactly.

I can't believe that the movie is "so bad" or it's so "against the new strategy" that they refuse to release it. There's obviously an ulterior motive for it beyond any of that.

I'm not saying it's just because the movie is POC-led (personally, I had zero interest in the movie), but WB's thought process here makes absolutely no sense. There are only downsides and no upsides to not releasing the Batgirl movie.

Extraordinary Member

Exactly.

I can't believe that the movie is "so bad" or it's so "against the new strategy" that they refuse to release it. There's obviously an ulterior motive for it beyond any of that.

I'm not saying it's just because the movie is POC-led (personally, I had zero interest in the movie), but WB's thought process here makes absolutely no sense. There are only downsides and no upsides to not releasing the Batgirl movie.
    The rumor is that WB’s new execs are hostile towards the wider if HBOMax-exclusive movies in the first place… but considering how far along the Batgirl movie is, it’s highly doubtful that the tax write-off truly outmatches whatever other potential money-making or brand-expanding power it has.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

I didn't even know that Batgirl was going to be the first DCEU movie to feature a trans character.

Yeah....

https://www.out.com/film/2022/8/03/b...rans-character
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-03-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Ultimate Member

In more positive news, “Prey” is getting very positive reviews.

I don’t know why they didn’t release this in cinemas, the cinematography and the action looked tailor made for the cinema.

I think the Predator franchise (not counting AvP movies) gets an unfairly bad rap, apart from the last movie (that movie was cap, utter nonsense from beginning to end) the other movies in the franchise have been ok.