Page 714 of 828 FirstFirst ... 214614664704710711712713714715716717718724764814 ... LastLast
Results 10,696 to 10,710 of 12412
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Anyone watch Prey? Was it solid Predator stuff?

the woman kid wariror thing seems dumb as hell but I don't care about htat, how is hte predator action lol?
    The Predator action was pretty good. I thought the movie was overall fun but the feminist propaganda is getting a bit too much to bear. The anachronistic dismissal of gender roles and her treatment by other tribesmen were so tired and cliche at this point. Everyone hates the woman stepping out of her place but she has to do to be the hero. Then her ill treatment of her brother who actually advocated and supported her, made the main character be somewhat unlikeable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    The Predator action was pretty good. I thought the movie was overall fun but the feminist propaganda is getting a bit too much to bear. The anachronistic dismissal of gender roles and her treatment by other tribesmen were so tired and cliche at this point. Everyone hates the woman stepping out of her place but she has to do to be the hero. Then her ill treatment of her brother who actually advocated and supported her, made the main character be somewhat unlikeable.
    Ill-treatment of her brother? What?

And a female hero overcoming obstacles is basic storytelling. It's not fEmiNIst pRopaGaNda..

Anachronistic dismissal of gender roles...what does that even mean? I mean, going by your comment, it sounds like you actually want to keep women in outdated traditional gender roles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...gy-1235198863/

The Academy has issued an apology to Sacheen Littlefeather for her treatment during the 1973 Oscars.
    Took them long enough.

I mean, the crowd booed her, other people came on stage and criticized her and John Wayne almost physically attacked her.

It's crazy considering just how badly Native and Indigenous people have been treated (and to some extent still are) in the US and Canada that people would be so upset back then.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-16-2022 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Anachronistic dismissal of gender roles...what does that even mean? I mean, going by your comment, it sounds like you actually want to keep women in outdated traditional gender roles.
    i think the issue with this story in particular (at its surface, i still haven't ha da chance to watch it) is that... it wasn't outdated yet back then.

It isn't like Native Ameircan communities in that time frame were some progressive template lol.

so, personally, i can see someone rolling their eyes at a story that, based on trailers and such, seems like they wanted to tell an authentic "native american" type story/setting but decided to shoe horn in a 2022 style female empowerment thing that simply didn't exist back then

(at its surface, i haven't seen it, maybe the movie makes it work)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    i think the issue with this story in particular (at its surface, i still haven't ha da chance to watch it) is that... it wasn't outdated yet back then.

It isn't like Native Ameircan communities in that time frame were some progressive template lol.

so, personally, i can see someone rolling their eyes at a story that, based on trailers and such, seems like they wanted to tell an authentic "native american" type story/setting but decided to shoe horn in a 2022 style female empowerment thing that simply didn't exist back then

(at its surface, i haven't seen it, maybe the movie makes it work)
    That's pretty much the entire point of the character.

And I really don't understand why people would have an issue with that. There have been of thousands of stories of real women across cultures all over the world challenging traditional gender roles. This isn't something "woke Hollywood" invented.

It's not any really different from any other underdog story where the protagonist has to overcome certain "limitations" to "win the day". Like I said earlier, it's basic storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I didnt see any of this in the movie. My biggest issue was that the movie was slow paced and dragged it down. But I didnt see any feminist propaganda. A strong female lead is not feminist propaganda. I would ask if we say this with other movies that have a strong female lead but the answer is sadly yes. Any time a female gets the focus it is woke and female propaganda and the demasculation of men.

And she did not treat her brother bad at all. There were a few times I felt her brother treated her worse then she treated him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...gy-1235198863/

The Academy has issued an apology to Sacheen Littlefeather for her treatment during the 1973 Oscars.
    I did not know this story, but Brando doing that in 73 makes me feel better about him. Just recently at work had to watch The Teahouse of the August Moon. His yellowface performance in that is pretty yikes. I guess that was pretty early in his career, but it is still pretty bad.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I did not know this story, but Brando doing that in 73 makes me feel better about him. Just recently at work had to watch The Teahouse of the August Moon. His yellowface performance in that is pretty yikes. I guess that was pretty early in his career, but it is still pretty bad.
    Brando is a guy that really "opened his eyes" later in life.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I didnt see any of this in the movie. My biggest issue was that the movie was slow paced and dragged it down. But I didnt see any feminist propaganda. A strong female lead is not feminist propaganda. I would ask if we say this with other movies that have a strong female lead but the answer is sadly yes. Any time a female gets the focus it is woke and female propaganda and the demasculation of men.

And she did not treat her brother bad at all. There were a few times I felt her brother treated her worse then she treated him.
    Exactly.

She didn't mistreat her brother at all. I was actually surprised at how the relationship between the two was depicted, they were actually a lot more protective of each other than I expected.

And the whole thing about "feminist propaganda" is exhausting. Like I said earlier, these criticisms are getting to the heart of basic storytelling, people overcoming the odds is basically storytelling. It's like complaining about how Rocky went 15 rounds with Apollo Creed when he wasn't as trained as Apollo, like, that is the point of the story. Seriously, people were complaining about the Batgirl (that literally none of us have seen) as her being a "Mary Sue"...how does that even work? She's the protagonist of the film and she's definitely going to be depicted as sound and competent. Again, this is people calling out storytelling as we know it.

Bringing it back to Prey, Naru wanting to break the norm for her time was the entire point of the story. The funny thing is that she actually failed badly when she tried to kill the Mountain Lion and it was her brother that saved her and killed it. It wasn't at all "feminist propaganda" and she didn't nor could she "out-warrior" the men.

ISN'T IT lol??? Sarah Conner and Ellen Ripley are responsible for all this, damn them and their offspring out here ruining entertainment. FOH. For reals tho, what the fuck is the opposite of feminist propaganda, 4 fuckin' sequels with Dutch Schultz?

Facts, Her brother didn't bat an eye taking credit for that lion neither, while she was up in that tree thuggin' it out. He know he didn't cut that lions head off.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ill-treatment of her brother? What?

And a female hero overcoming obstacles is basic storytelling. It's not fEmiNIst pRopaGaNda..

Ripley overcoming obstacles was basic storytelling without the propaganda.

In Prey, the social order is the obstacle that she has to overcome. She has to overcome all of the men who are trying to hold her down. The men are holding her down. But lets get to it. There maybe spoilers ahead.

Commanche boys are dicks
    The Commanche boys (except for her brother) treat her like trash from the beginning. They constantly dismiss her abilities and only relent in face of another man (her brother). However after she shows he skills and worth (saving the young brave's life), you would think that they would ease up. NOPE. They still are bullies who physically hold her down and even tie her up never listening to her which ultimately leads them to their demise. What is really egregious that these guys are suppose to be the premiere hunters of the group yet she outshines them in basic tracking. They all totally dismiss the Predator's tracks. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? These guys can't tell the Predator's footprint is not a bears ?

Feminism is a First World privilege
    What I meant was anachronistic dismissal of gender roles is that modern day feminism views past history through a lens that suggests traditional gender roles are oppressive, unnecessary and/or maladaptive. One of the movie's message is that if this woman did not go against the social order, her tribe would have been wiped out. These gender roles were designated because of survival. The men put their bodies on the line to protect women and children when living a nomadic lifestyles. The women's role of gathering is just as important as the men's role of hunting. Biology gives advantages to men in hunting (strength, stamina, speed). Sure women can train to catch to men but a peak man would most likely beat a peak woman. The movie actually unknowingly told on itself. when she talked to her movie he mother stated that hunting is not about honor, it is about survival. While this line is suppose to foreshadow that her becoming a hunter is necessary for the tribes survival, it unknowingly displays the flaw of the feminist critique of these older traditional societies. These gender roles were about survival. Putting people who can give birth on the front lines when you only have a small group is not sensible. To make a comparison, Wakanda can afford to have Dora Milaje and fans can accept it, because they are a nation of many people. A small nomadic does not have this privilege. They need to keep everyone alive so they are going to maximize natural gifts provided by biology.

Unlikable Feminist
    This is less propaganda and more of a byproduct of the character being a feminist icon. She was unlikeable to me. She was unlikeable because she was selfish about petty. Her desire to be a hunter was not for the good of the group. It was selfish and ego-driven. Sure ultimately she killed the Predator so storywise that justifies her ego but she did everything alone (besides the dog). Men are suppose to hunt in groups for efficiency and safety but she did it alone not really working for the benefit of the group. Furthermore the fact that she never said thankyou to her brother who saved her (multiple times) in this movie and had the audacity to turn her back on him when he was being celebrated by the tribe. Petty and selfish. The only other person who did that was the asshole Commanche boy who she got into a fight with. When her brother tried to give her an olive branch saying "We did it," she still ignored it.

Innovation
    Ultimately she succeeds because she has the knowledge of women, the hunting skills of men and secret power of innovation. That is actually fine. The problem is that the movie goes out of its way to make the men look incompetent (except for her brother). Also, the movie can't help itself and still relies are displaying her physical prowess to dominate others men. It would have been best served highlighting her intelligence and innovation. Ultimately the physical stuff is fun to watch so I can't be too mad but when I am presented with a character who does not have superpowers but does superheroic feats... i just have to yawn a bit. And if you question whether or not she was a superhero, ummm the injuries she sustained to her head and leg were virtually non-existent problems after their initial showing.

Consider my curiosity piqued. I'll have to watch Prey tonight just to see what the big deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Consider my curiosity piqued. I'll have to watch Prey tonight just to see what the big deal is.
    There is no big deal. it was an okay movie some people on the internet are yelling about because of woke Feminism.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There is no big deal. it was an okay movie some people on the internet are yelling about because of woke Feminism.
    I didn't see it as "woke feminism" but the tired trope of "I'm just as good as the boy's" with a female lead needing to prove herself as such. That makes it different from a movie like Alien where Ripley was already set up as a person of authority and was not compared to the male crew members.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I didn't see it as "woke feminism" but the tired trope of "I'm just as good as the boy's" with a female lead needing to prove herself as such. That makes it different from a movie like Alien where Ripley was already set up as a person of authority and was not compared to the male crew members.
    The trope was " I'm just as good as the boys and I will prove it by killing the beast that killed them like ants." This is unbridled feminism. I had some fun with the movie but that was despite the BS feminism. They got me with the God of War hatchets.