Page 716 of 828 FirstFirst ... 216616666706712713714715716717718719720726766816 ... LastLast
Results 10,726 to 10,740 of 12413
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    man, my conspiracy theory brain goes off with this

almost like it is being organized by higher ups so they can "market" the "omg she hulk is getting reviewed bombed!" It is free promotiion.

Because, the "types" that do this review bombing LOVE shulk. Simp level creepy obsession type stuff.
    That thought actually crossed my mind. Maybe these studios actually engineer these controversies to generate interest.

But then again, on YouTube there are dozens of videos attacking female led projects as being woke.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That thought actually crossed my mind. Maybe these studios actually engineer these controversies to generate interest.

But then again, on YouTube there are dozens of videos attacking female led projects as being woke.
    oh I think most if not all of hte past ones were real.

The She Hulk one is just.... odd. These types LOVE her. I've moderated too many comments and moderated too much fan art..... *shudders*
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

oh I think most if not all of hte past ones were real.

The She Hulk one is just.... odd. These types LOVE her. I've moderated too many comments and moderated too much fan art..... *shudders*
    She-Hulk even has a tinder profile, they're really leaning into the thirst. I remember when people here and on twitter were fighting over how muscular she should be.

"She needs to look like AN ACTUAL HULK, NOT A GREEN SUPERMODEL, MALE COMIC BOOK ARTISTS ARE COWARDS!"

"Jen being a female version of the savage hulk is really uninspired, she never wanted to be exactly like Bruce, Aaron is pulling this out the air, besides, how is making a female superhero ugly progressive?"

I have noticed this strange trend where people (mostly terminally online ones mind you) tend to fetishize muscular female characters because they think men aren't attracted to them...even though there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Female superheroes get a lot of flack for how they look. Female fans got mad when JMS put Wonder Woman in pants. People said that Gal Gadot was too skinny to be WW, and it was bad that she had shaved armpits. Gadot looked fine, she put on 10 lbs of muscle. Big Barda has the bodytype people that don't read comics think wonder woman has.

The only other superhero who gets as much heat as She-Hulk is Power Girl. "She should cover up, her chest is too big, etc."

Most of these people arguing just love to grandstand, hating whatever the other side likes and this incessant need to feel superior to others.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 08-18-2022 at 11:10 AM.

'Chilocco Indian School: A Generational Story' – OSU partnership produces graphic novel and curriculum

“Chilocco Indian School: A Generational Story,” a graphic novel written by Julie Pearson-Little Thunder with art and graphic direction from Johnnie Diacon and Jerry Bennett, is now available for free download.

The novel was produced by the OSU Library’s Oklahoma Oral History Research Program in collaboration with the Chilocco National Alumni Association.
    The novel focuses on Jaya Thomas, a young, Native teen who follows her grandmother and aunt to a family reunion where she learns about Chilocco and its near century-long history through the stories her aunt and grandmother share. As she listens to her family recount their experiences of both Chilocco and what it was like to be Native American during that time, Jaya also gains a better understanding of her family history and their shared mannerisms.
    https://www.chickashanews.com/oklaho...c001756b0.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    She-Hulk even has a tinder profile, they're really leaning into the thirst. I remember when people here and on twitter were fighting over how muscular she should be.

"She needs to look like AN ACTUAL HULK, NOT A GREEN SUPERMODEL, MALE COMIC BOOK ARTISTS ARE COWARDS!"

"Jen being a female version of the savage hulk is really uninspired, she never wanted to be exactly like Bruce, Aaron is pulling this out the air, besides, how is making a female superhero ugly progressive?"

I have noticed this strange trend where people (mostly terminally online ones mind you) tend to fetishize muscular female characters because they think men aren't attracted to them...even though there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Female superheroes get a lot of flack for how they look. Female fans got mad when JMS put Wonder Woman in pants. People said that Gal Gadot was too skinny to be WW, and it was bad that she had shaved armpits. Gadot looked fine, she put on 10 lbs of muscle. Big Barda has the bodytype people that don't read comics think wonder woman has.

The only other superhero who gets as much heat as She-Hulk is Power Girl. "She should cover up, her chest is too big, etc."

Most of these people arguing just love to grandstand, hating whatever the other side likes and this incessant need to feel superior to others.
    I remember back in 2014 reading an article by a guy who said that if we were to get a Wonder Woman movie (which he admitted he didn't want anyway), she should have a muscular physique to -- his words, not mine -- "intimidate the male gaze". I've seen people who feel Gadot is too skinny to play Wonder Woman site the DCAU version as the ideal for how Diana should look despite her being much closer to what Gadot actually looks like.

On the other side of the argument, we got people who lose it anytime a woman shows up a man, but say nothing when the opposite happens. The Kim Possible finale had the villains defeated by the titular character male sidekick/boyfriend who had spent most of the show being a useless bumbler. No one had an issue with this back in the day but Carol Danvers being able to hurt Thanos causes World War 3. Don't even get me started on how often shonen series and superhero media have male characters showing up female ones, either by beating them or defeating foes they couldn't dent.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Kim Possible finale had the villains defeated by the titular character male sidekick/boyfriend who had spent most of the show being a useless bumbler. No one had an issue with this back in the day but Carol Danvers being able to hurt Thanos causes World War 3.
    Putting a character who finally gets one W after a smorgasbord of L's next to one whose character arc is basically realizing she won the superpower lottery probably isn't the best comparison.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 08-18-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Putting a character who finally gets one W after a smorgasbord of L's next to one whose character arc is basically realizing she won the superpower lottery probably isn't the best comparison.
    But we KEEP seeing this nonsense when ANY POC or WOMAN does something.

Yes Carol won the super power lottery YET if that was Rick Jones-nobody would say a thing.

When it was Luke Skywalker-nobody said a thing. Rey.... oh if it was Finn-we might have seen GUN violence in theaters.

How many white guys have we seen that done and NOBODY said a word. Power Rangers have made a field day of it with Operation Overdrive, Wildforce, Time Force, Lost Galaxy & Mega Force. How SPD, Beast Morphers & RPM got away with it with those black guys is amazing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

When it was Luke Skywalker-nobody said a thing. Rey.... oh if it was Finn-we might have seen GUN violence in theaters.
    Yeah, Luke suddenly knowing Force persuasion and kinesis after holding a lightsaber for a while and then, with no training whatsoever beating an adept in his first film was something no one batted a-..........Oh. Wait no. I got it mixed up. He trained over the course of two films by two different mentors, only to get his ass utterly handed to him by his first force wielding opponent at the end of the second. Only after that, in the third film did he start looking like a credible threat to his adversaries.

Granted, maybe I'm embellishing a bit, but one of two clearly had more of a leg up at the very start of their journey.

How many white guys have we seen that done and NOBODY said a word.
    Most quintessential example I can think of is Paul Atreides from Dune. I can safely say that one was rather blatant even if Herbert was out to deconstruct the whole "chosen one" trope.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 08-18-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

But we KEEP seeing this nonsense when ANY POC or WOMAN does something.

Yes Carol won the super power lottery YET if that was Rick Jones-nobody would say a thing.

How many white guys have we seen that done and NOBODY said a word. Power Rangers have made a field day of it with Operation Overdrive, Wildforce, Time Force, Lost Galaxy & Mega Force. How SPD, Beast Morphers & RPM got away with it with those black guys is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Yeah, Luke suddenly knowing Force persuasion after holding a lightsaber for a while and then beating an adept in his first film was something no one batted a-..........Oh.
    Eh… I would argue that Rey, Captain Marvel, the Christopher Reeves Superman, Harry Potter, and Black Panther all fall onto a scale of “power fantasy” characters - and that on that scale, the beloved Reeves Superman is just is higher on it than Rey, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther, while Harry Potter is likely their equal, since he’s able to beat “trapped on a head” Voldemort in his very first book as a kid. Don’t get me wrong; I do think that sloppy, lazy writing can make a character “over-powered” for the conflict - I’ll always say that the Reeves Superman turning back time and kissing away Lois’s memories are Exhibits A&B in sloppy, lazy writing in otherwise strong pop-culture films. And I *can* see how some might see Rey and Captain Marvel as likewise examples of that…

…But I’d argue that both those characters got better conflict and conflict resolutions than Reeves Superman… and that Rey got a better one than Captain Marvel… and that both received more heat in the their debut movies from scared boys for being girl versions of their power fantasies that guys are used to. CM has an amnesia plot-line that’s basically just Jason Bourne’s story with guns/CQC replaced by superpowers and Treadstone replaced by the Kree - and Bourne and Cap equally dominate and take out their opponents.

Rey, meanwhile… I have to say that while her getting the ability to use mind tricks and Force Pull from “downloading” Kylo’s memories during his torture/violation of her were unprecedented… he defeated himself against a combination of Rey, Finn, and Chewie, and TFA actually did a great job writing him in a self-destructive spiral and in actually having Rey’s win be a culmination of far more factors than her power level, martial skill, and suddenly learned abilities. Kylo goes down because he's been gut-shot by Chewie, wounded by Finn, is exhausting himself via sadistically playing with Finn and self-traumatizing by his murder of Han, and is clearly shown holding back against Rey at the same time throughout their fight while demonstrating he’s weakened himself as it goes on.

Frankly, I usually think claims that Rey’s a “Mary Sue” in TFA is bullshit spread by people who either just forgot or chose to ignore how well-written and directed some political subtext was in the film and in its narrative - Kylo’s a privileged white dude who has become a Neo-Nazi serial killer out of his fears of inadequacy and insecurity, who gets beaten by the consequences of his philosophies self-destructive tendencies and the combined efforts of two former slaves and a scavenger girl, two of whom he’s victimized but also accidentally empowered as a result of his capricious cruelty.

I mean, George Lucas had a nine-year old win a space battle by himself after building a sentient robot and a rocket-propelled chariot he could fix from sabotage in mid-flight to win a championship race; I think Rey’s tied with Anakin in terms of overall impressiveness in that respect, and not that far away from Luke at all - Luke’s main disadvantage was that Vader never toyed with him for long and he had no back-up in ESB, while Rey got “One Hit KO’ed” by Kylo twice before he self-destructed when she got help for round 3.

It was TLJ stripping away any story elements for the characters that really screwed Rey up - and even then, I’d point out she went from being a power fantasy POV character to Kylo’s arm candy, enabler, and abused girlfriend while Kylo became a “social Mary Sue”: an introverted creep without empathy who still has the cool teacher blame himself for “betraying” him and a hot girl falling for him being a jerk.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 08-18-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

1. Prey was pretty damn decent. and THEY SAID THE THING! lol.

2. I was wrong about Shulk... the review hate is true. these dudes are either simping or hating hard. Must suck to be this miserable in life.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Out of curiosity, do you guys "care" when fantasy books that get adapted start adding in minorities that weren't in the book (via race swapping usually) ?

For instance, Rings of Power adding black dwarves and elves or House of Dragon adding in black people?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Out of curiosity, do you guys "care" when fantasy books that get adapted start adding in minorities that weren't in the book (via race swapping usually) ?

For instance, Rings of Power adding black dwarves and elves or House of Dragon adding in black people?
    Depends on how it’s done. Is the character in questions race vital to the character? If not then we are just talking about aesthetics. Then I don’t care. If race is pretty vital to the internal logic of the character then yes I care. Black Panther’s race is, Iris West really isn’t.

I understand the criticism when it's real history and/or real people, but in fantasy it shouldn't matter. Unless it's something illogical, like relatives being of different races (though this usually doesn't matter in theater).

The negative reactions to LOTR are especially vile, since it's originals characters (as far as I understand). So people really only complain that fictional characters of fictional race (elves, dwarves) are black. The horror! What happened to "create your own characters if you want diversity"?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Not really. I don't put too much thought into it to be honest. I don't plan on watching rings of power, (ring of time wasn't great) and I never could get into game of thrones, I might just dump HBO Max altogether if Zaslav goes through with all his stupid changes. You have access to Superman and Bugs Bunny and they still find a way to screw it up.

Ironically enough, I couldn't get into Harry Potter because none of the wizards were black. I don't even think the movies had black extras, though I only saw the first two.

The actor playing Usopp in the Live action One Piece is black, no one seems to care, but they might when they find out that his biggest traits (other than his nose) are being a liar and a coward, and he's always viewed as the "weakest" straw-hat. I can see The Root headlines now. Netflix is throwing a lot of money at this, I don't know how well it's going to do. I can also see the gators making the, ugh, "Woke Piece" thumbnails with Luffy's eyes bulging out of his head.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 08-24-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Not really. I don't put too much thought into it to be honest. I don't plan on watching rings of power, (ring of time wasn't great) and I never could get into game of thrones, I might just dump HBO Max altogether if Zaslav goes through with all his stupid changes. You have access to Superman and Bugs Bunny and they still find a way to screw it up.

Ironically enough, I couldn't get into Harry Potter because none of the wizards were black. I don't even think the movies had black extras, though I only saw the first two.

The actor playing Usopp in the Live action One Piece is black, no one seems to care, but they might when they find out that his biggest traits (other than his nose) are being a liar and a coward, and he's always viewed as the "weakest" straw-hat. I can see The Root headlines now. Netflix is throwing a lot of money at this, I don't know how well it's going to do.
    There were a couple black extras at school. Prisoner had a black student offer up one line. There was the announcer for the Quidditch matches and the Female Indian Twins. So not a lot of diversity in the movies. There was also the Asian girl that was Harry's Love interest.

To be honest when it comes to black Evles and Black Dwarfs I could care less. it doesnt take away from the enjoyment of any show. And I dont care about Race bending that much.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.