Page 725 of 828 FirstFirst ... 225625675715721722723724725726727728729735775825 ... LastLast
Results 10,861 to 10,875 of 12414
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Ghostbusters was terrible. Star Wars episodes VII-IX were, in my view, lackluster. But the problem isn't diversity/ inclusion, it's that the content was poor. Haven't watched Obi-Wan Kenobi and I don't intend do, at least it's not a priority.
    Here is the thing-NOBODY has an issue with that.
    Someone who took time to watch and did not like it is one thing.

The majority of these trolls do NOT watch the final product. They start the moment casting or announcements are made. Or HUNT down a clip here or a page there.

Look at the comments it's NEVER about story content. It only targets inclusion and diversity.

Broadly speaking, I agree that celebs shouldn't engage the trolls.
    The majority are MINDING their own BUSINESS.
    The trolls feel entitled to GO to those folks social media and attack and don't stop no matter how much blocking you do.

You rarely hear them come out against page rates in the industry or complain about the many mediocre artists (Greg Land) out there but the minute it's a Black woman then all of a sudden the complaining about meritocracy and vetting begins.
    Because guys like Land get FREE passes when they do X-Men & Batman books.

All of the flaws of Land are ignored until he did WHAT book???? MIGHTY AVENGERS starring Luke, Falcon, Blade & Monica.
    Same with Scott Lobdell. Put him on Nightwing & Teen Titans-he sells. Give him Baby Doomsday starring a POC-he can't get past issue 6.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here is the thing-NOBODY has an issue with that.
    Someone who took time to watch and did not like it is one thing.

The majority of these trolls do NOT watch the final product. They start the moment casting or announcements are made. Or HUNT down a clip here or a page there.

Look at the comments it's NEVER about story content. It only targets inclusion and diversity.

The majority are MINDING their own BUSINESS.
    The trolls feel entitled to GO to those folks social media and attack and don't stop no matter how much blocking you do.

Because guys like Land get FREE passes when they do X-Men & Batman books.

All of the flaws of Land are ignored until he did WHAT book???? MIGHTY AVENGERS starring Luke, Falcon, Blade & Monica.
    Same with Scott Lobdell. Put him on Nightwing & Teen Titans-he sells. Give him Baby Doomsday starring a POC-he can't get past issue 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    All these years I thought John Pearson was Black. Either way I don't get some of these older comic artists. You rarely hear them come out against page rates in the industry or complain about the many mediocre artists (Greg Land) out there but the minute it's a Black woman then all of a sudden the complaining about meritocracy and vetting begins. It's sad because I liked Body Bags but I guess that's how he really feels...

Also Bleeding Comics or whatever comes off like an instigator.
    Speaking of Greg Land, he did All-Out Avengers which came out yesterday and it seems to be even worse than before.

He's still doing the "orgasm" faces and his overall aesthetic seem to have declined.

Despite all this, he still gets a free pass.

EDIT: I just read that Land is 66 years old. I guess that explains why his work doesn't look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

EDIT: I just read that Land is 66 years old. I guess that explains why his work doesn't look very good.
    And then you realize the most powerful elected people in the US are 10+ years older than that........
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

No it's not.

It is asking the question of why is there selective outrage.

Star Wars-we had Mace Windu hold a light saber. Before him in Marvel Star Wars-we saw a BLACK guy with one getting trained by Luke.

Ghostbuster-we saw Leslie Jones mainly catch HELL. Afterlife had a black female ghostbuster.

Static had not 1, 2 but 3 LGBTQA+ writers. Blood Syndicate was written by a gay Latino man. More blacks had issues with Milestone than anyone else. Milestone had a diverse staff.

Half the writers of color or female at the Big Two catch all sorts of HECK yet they don't get that when they are at Boom and other companies.

Nobody is screaming identity politics with The Chi nor Snowfall nor Top Boy. Tom Swift, Naomi, Ms Marvel, Lords of the Rings and so on.
    How is any of this the studios' fault?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I’ll only speak for the bullshit John Boyega got, and to a much lesser extent the bullshit caught by Kelly Marie Tran as well. And for the record, I don't think LFL is nearly as at fault for stuff before TLJ came out as they were for at least some of the stuff after it came out.

Boyega got attacked by racists before TFA came out, but then that film came out and he was the undisputed male lead of $2 Billion+ film, and one of the key highlights among the cast as well, and while LFL maybe should have stepped in before TFA was released to give him cover like they did for Moses Ingram now, he was also supported enough by a powerful box office smash and the unequivocally positive professional reception of his performance that it likely shut some of the racists up on the outside…

…but it’s also clear that the racists *inside* LFL had already moved to sabotage his character going forward, and that LFL’s general distaste for Finn as a character and for anyone bringing up problems with their preferred ST film TLJ did it bode well either. I think most of LFL was just bitter and annoyed that their preferred main character and actor, Adam Driver as Ben Solo, had been outshone by a JJ Abrams creation and casting choice… but it’s clear someone in LFL used this disinterest in Finn to further sabotage him.

Boyega got screwed by TLJ all-but-outright ordering the audience to forget his work in making the character a hero with a tight connection to the main character in exchange for a problematic charge the character was too focused on the white girl, and by shackling him with a new screen partner who’s job was to try and drag him into the background and away from the main stage - which is also where Kelly Marie Tran got a bit screwed as well, since the trade off for her getting to show her own charisma and skills in a Star Wars movie was being given a thankless role of sabotaging Boyega, which the director himself would admit to not really wanting to write beyond that point.

LFL then largely abandoned Boyega to have to deal with rabid, racist Reylo fans attacking him on line while supported by LFL’s propaganda that TLJ was actually progressive somehow. They then proceeded to do more sabotaging without Rian Johnson’s help this time through spin-off material and (implicitly) in TROS (as Boyega has defended Abrams and now made it clear that Trevorrow and Abrams both had better ideas for the character than LFL would allow.)

And now, when Boyega speaks about it, they just either argue against him in a troublingly entitled way, or simply tacitly refuse to allow anyone to engage Rian Johnson on Boyega’s criticisms (though that’s more Hollywood privilege in general rather than just LFL.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And then you realize the most powerful elected people in the US are 10+ years older than that........
    A person's age isn't always the problem.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    That is correct.

It's what they are allowed to get away with is the issue.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The studio is the one doing the hiring.

All this backlash is happening to someone under YOUR watch.

And as we have seen it can HURT YOUR product's bottom line.

Remember trolls are NOT limited to Comic book store guy from the Simpsons. Trolls can and have been ANYBODY.

Including your own employees.

Along with the various ways those trolls can act and behave.

You want to have future business as the studio you have to say something.

John Boyega got tossed to the wolves. Disney was silent.

Who else was seeing that? Someone who Disney might want for a movie and now after this-it might cost them more to hire.

If I have to put up with trolls-guess what PAY me MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    They are well outside peak mental abilities at that point.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The studio is the one doing the hiring.

All this backlash is happening to someone under YOUR watch.

And as we have seen it can HURT YOUR product's bottom line.

Remember trolls are NOT limited to Comic book store guy from the Simpsons. Trolls can and have been ANYBODY.

Including your own employees.

Along with the various ways those trolls can act and behave.

You want to have future business as the studio you have to say something.

John Boyega got tossed to the wolves. Disney was silent.

Who else was seeing that? Someone who Disney might want for a movie and now after this-it might cost them more to hire.

If I have to put up with trolls-guess what PAY me MORE.
    Leaving aside whether it is a studio's job to tell fans to behave themselves (their own staff is a different matter), let's not kid ourselves that this actually affects the studios' bottom line. That is exactly what these trolls want people to believe. For all the whining about how Star Wars went broke when they went woke, every movie except Solo made a billion at least.

I am not against a studio sticking up for their actors and staff. My main point is that they shouldn't have to do that if fandom would properly police itself.

Ultimate Member

The newest "anti-woke" anger is towards Halle Bailey. A lot of people don't know that Halle Bailey and her sister (Chloe) are accomplished and successful singers.

A actually watched a video where a young woman was arguging that a mermaid can't have dark skin because "they live deep under the water". LOL, mermaids (of different varities) exist in virtually every culture in the world. Mermaids (Mami Water) are a big thing in Western African culture.

All this doesn't mean anything because the Disney Little Mermaid isn't based on real people and is ultimately just another fantasy. The Disney version of Ariel could be any race and it won't make any difference.

My only gripe is why we don't get any explicitly black princesses or kings. It seems that a LOT of people are much more comfortable with black princesses and queens for whatever reason.

The newest "anti-woke" anger is towards Halle Bailey. A lot of people don't know that Halle Bailey and her sister (Chloe) are accomplished and successful singers.

A actually watched a video where a young woman was arguging that a mermaid can't have dark skin because "they live deep under the water". LOL, mermaids (of different varities) exist in virtually every culture in the world. Mermaids (Mami Water) are a big thing in Western African culture.

All this doesn't mean anything because the Disney Little Mermaid isn't based on real people and is ultimately just another fantasy. The Disney version of Ariel could be any race and it won't make any difference.

My only gripe is why we don't get any explicitly black princesses or kings. It seems that a LOT of people are much more comfortable with black princesses and queens for whatever reason.
    I hate it when people try to apply science to fantasy stuff just so they can be bigoted. Our culture has a real superficial love of science and it bugs me.

I don't think I'm going to see this Little Mermaid movie, not because of Halle, but because the vast majority of these live action remakes have been garbage. Are these movies being made for kids or their hipster parents who still like watching cartoons and are ashamed of it? I think disney has lost some creativity, they can't seem to mine any other mythology, or they subvert themselves and try to pretend it's clever, like the Frozen movies. Elsa should have been the antagonist like they planned.

Javier Bardem is playing King Triton, so we can't even have a black king. I'm assuming you meant to say Black Prince? Not that I'd want one, he'd probably get the Finn treatment, can't have black boys feeling good about themselves after all, who knows what they'd might do.

I'd almost like to see disney adapt the story of Momotaro or Princess Kaguya, but current disney would screw it up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I hate it when people try to apply science to fantasy stuff just so they can be bigoted. Our culture has a real superficial love of science and it bugs me.

I don't think I'm going to see this Little Mermaid movie, not because of Halle, but because the vast majority of these live action remakes have been garbage. Are these movies being made for kids or their hipster parents who still like watching cartoons and are ashamed of it? I think disney has lost some creativity, they can't seem to mine any other mythology, or they subvert themselves and try to pretend it's clever, like the Frozen movies. Elsa should have been the antagonist like they planned.

Javier Bardem is playing King Triton, so we can't even have a black king. I'm assuming you meant to say Black Prince? Not that I'd want one, he'd probably get the Finn treatment, can't have black boys feeling good about themselves after all, who knows what they'd might do.

I'd almost like to see disney adapt the story of Momotaro or Princess Kaguya, but current disney would screw it up.
    Yeah, Ariel still falls in love with a white prince in this.

I was hoping the prince she falls in love would be black too.

This is the dumbest thing in the world. Same as they did with lord Of The Rings show. Yelling about the color of the skin on a fantasy race. And Halle Bailey had a great voice. I didnt even know who she was till she sang at the Thursday football game. But She had a great voice there and has a great voice in the trailer.

Cant have dark skin because she lives so deep in the water? Does that mean all the fish that live deep in the water are pale white? This is some of the dumbest crap to try and justify racism I have ever seen.

On the subject of a Black prince I think it is easier for people (I mean the racist crowd) to justify a black woman falling in love with her white prince charming/male savior. If people are going nuts over a black little mermaid how would they go nuts at a black prince kissing a white Sleeping Beauty or a White Snow White?
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-12-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is the dumbest thing in the world. Same as they did with lord Of The Rings show. Yelling about the color of the skin on a fantasy race. And Halle Bailey had a great voice. I didnt even know who she was till she sang at the Thursday football game. But She had a great voice there and has a great voice in the trailer.

Cant have dark skin because she lives so deep in the water? Does that mean all the fish that live deep in the water are pale white? This is some of the dumbest crap to try and justify racism I have ever seen.

On the subject of a Black prince I think it is easier for people (I mean the racist crowd) to justify a black woman falling in love with her white prince charming/male savior. If people are going nuts over a black little mermaid how would they go nuts at a black prince kissing a white Sleeping Beauty or a White Snow White
    ?
    That would melt their brains.

But I think a lot of people need to deal with their internal biases regarding this race-blind casting. I'm seeing a lot of women saying they can't identify with Ariel anymore because she isn't white (black Twitter has been having a field day about the whole topic).

Millions of young boys and girls around the world identify with white fictional characters, why can't these white women identify with a black Ariel?