Page 728 of 828 FirstFirst ... 228628678718724725726727728729730731732738778 ... LastLast
Results 10,906 to 10,920 of 12411
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I thought the first three episodes of Andor could and should have been condensed into one hour-long episode, personally. But I'm along for the ride. Rogue One is my fave Star Wars movie so I had high hopes for this series, but the absolutely glacial pacing in the first two episodes disappointed me a bit.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 09-22-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I thought the first three episodes of Andor could and should have been condensed into one hour-long episode, personally. But I'm along for the ride. Rogue One is my fave Star Wars movie so I had high hopes for this series, but the absolutely glacial pacing in the first two episodes disappointed me a bit.
    This is my problem with a lot of TV shows.

"we can make this more episodes by having nothing happen"

So many unnecessary things are in tv shows just so they can be longer. Some people go, "tv shows give it time for the plot to breath!" but, for me, the "breathing" rarely adds anything. It is just filler.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I hope you like Andor. I'm mostly taking a break from big franchises for a while. The "discourse" is just enough to make me wash my hands with it all. I've been watching the foreign shows on disney plus. Some of them are pretty good. I like Parallels (french stranger things), Terra Incognita (sort of like the x-files, but spanish), and Weekend Family (kind of like Modern family, except french). No two hour videos essays about why they're the greatest or worst shows ever, because they're foreign, they have better quality than mainstream stuff.
    Facts. I feel you, even if you click on a YT video that props up some of these shows as explainers, the boo-boo videos come in the algorithm like you asked for them. I spend time talking to my 8 year old (and her Grandma) about YT thumbnails, they're not all good, content is a business. I'm always gonna try and catch the old heads when they make an appearance, ain't never been that many of them around.

Speaking of, my favorite Swedish show ever (1 of 1) Snabba Cash S 2 dropped on Netflix and it's not sci-fi, more gangsta / corporate shit but I can't wait to start readin' some subtitles.

If you've seen A New Hope, you've seen Force Awakens, they're practically the same movie, except with a black guy and latino guy as part of the main cast. It's almost painful to watch it now due to all the wasted potential.
    Word of mouth still works, I've dodged all the new movie bullets.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This is my problem with a lot of TV shows.

"we can make this more episodes by having nothing happen"

So many unnecessary things are in tv shows just so they can be longer. Some people go, "tv shows give it time for the plot to breath!" but, for me, the "breathing" rarely adds anything. It is just filler.
    Filler that knows how to combat it’s nature as extraneous and unnecessary film time can grow beyond being filler - like how Avatar: The Last Airbender figured out how to make even a “clip show” idea work well with Ember Island Players.

But usually, yeah, you can tell when a story is being strung out more for time and pacing reasons than actual development.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I am a sad puppy. I was perusing HBO Max and randomly discovered some CW show I never heard of called Tom Swift. It was decent; pretty entertaining in fact. Enough for me to look forward to a second season. And then I just discovered it was canceled like weeks ago.

Losing Naomi sucks too. Maybe they tried too hard with that skater girl stuff, but the overall show was undeniably charming. Genre TV in the US has been taking some real hits lately. Which sucks because genre television seems to be where many black American actors find employment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    There’s too much “content mining” going on.

It leads to these big companies that have a lot more money than we think they do pump money into series that don’t really suit the episodic format. They also hiire people that quite clearly don’t know how to format tv series. It makes for weird pacing where some episodes have very few meaningful events only for the last few episodes to rush into a climax.

I’m having the same problem with the Rings of Power. It’s not at all a bad series but it should have all been dropped at once or the episodes severely condensed. She-Hulk is another series that should have been dropped all at once or the episodes should have been much, much longer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I am a sad puppy. I was perusing HBO Max and randomly discovered some CW show I never heard of called Tom Swift. It was decent; pretty entertaining in fact. Enough for me to look forward to a second season. And then I just discovered it was canceled like weeks ago.

Losing Naomi sucks too. Maybe they tried too hard with that skater girl stuff, but the overall show was undeniably charming. Genre TV in the US has been taking some real hits lately. Which sucks because genre television seems to be where many black American actors find employment.
    I’ve never even heard of Tom Swift before.

There’s just too much content out there with limited time to try them all.

I only watched one episode of Naomi and decided it wasn’t for me. It wasn’t bad but I just couldn’t get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

I only watched one episode of Naomi and decided it wasn’t for me. It wasn’t bad but I just couldn’t get into it.
    Tom Swift was a spin-off of the CW's Nancy Drew. I never watched either show. I tried with Naomi, but I didn't like it very much, the character herself has only been around about three or four years, so I don't know how much content you can mine out of that. I know Bendis wants to make characters that his kids can look up to, which is a good thing, but his execution does leave a lot to be desired more often than not.

Stargirl is another pretty good show that pretty much no one talks about.

Maybe the problem with Genre tv is that the shows are spread too thin over all these platforms. All these streaming services, all of this content being shuffled around, people are pirating again, or at least being more vocal about it. Star Wars doesn't feel special anymore, it feels like run of the mill sci-fi.

Ultimate Member

Tom Swift was a spin-off of the CW's Nancy Drew. I never watched either show. I tried with Naomi, but I didn't like it very much, the character herself has only been around about three or four years, so I don't know how much content you can mine out of that. I know Bendis wants to make characters that his kids can look up to, which is a good thing, but his execution does leave a lot to be desired more often than not.

Stargirl is another pretty good show that pretty much no one talks about.

Maybe the problem with Genre tv is that the shows are spread too thin over all these platforms. All these streaming services, all of this content being shuffled around, people are pirating again, or at least being more vocal about it. Star Wars doesn't feel special anymore, it feels like run of the mill sci-fi.
    Same with Marvel. For me, "less is more". The MCU guys in particular just seem stretched.

I'm sure when Marvel started off the cinematic universe they had no idea that they would be working on a potentially endless number of TV series.

Regarding Star Wars, I must confess I can't really say I'm interested in Andor at all. It's not bad but basically, we know how it's going to end with him.

Ultimate Member

Tom Swift if from the Nancy Drew universe and is a long established character.

He has been around since 1910 and has 100 volumes of books and alot of cancelled projects. Glen Larson even tried. Willie Aames (YES HIM) played him in a tv movie that BOMBED.

Levar Burton (or his voice) was also on the show.

10 episodes and half were not watched by folks 18-49.

Tom and Naomi got 0.01 ratings with those demos. Although Naomi had equal or better ratings than other shows that renewed...

Same with Marvel. For me, "less is more". The MCU guys in particular just seem stretched.

I'm sure when Marvel started off the cinematic universe they had no idea that they would be working on a potentially endless number of TV series.

Regarding Star Wars, I must confess I can't really say I'm interested in Andor at all. It's not bad but basically, we know how it's going to end with him.
    I hear that. Wanda+vision and the Falcon and the Winter soldier felt pretty special. I also liked Loki. She-hulk is also a delight. But my favorite format for marvel television was back when Netflix had their little corner of the universe going on. Don't get me wrong, iron fist was, is, and always will be a tragedy, but the other three were pretty good. You knew it would always have content coming but you could decompress between seasons and you weren't stalked by this persistent feeling of FOMO.

Disney just needs to relax and slow down. The way they're pushing Pixar, marvel and star wars for CONSTANT CONTENT is oversaturating their own market. Surely they can see that the EA route serves no one.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

There’s too much “content mining” going on.

It leads to these big companies that have a lot more money than we think they do pump money into series that don’t really suit the episodic format. They also hiire people that quite clearly don’t know how to format tv series. It makes for weird pacing where some episodes have very few meaningful events only for the last few episodes to rush into a climax.
    Yup, exactly. You get all this "build up" and then they climax cgi rush at the very end. Like its a movie.... not a tv show.... lol

I’m having the same problem with the Rings of Power. It’s not at all a bad series but it should have all been dropped at once or the episodes severely condensed. She-Hulk is another series that should have been dropped all at once or the episodes should have been much, much longer.
    LotR stuff has way too much "padding" to be broken up like this. They are "slow" in general, it is not fast paced entertainment. Breaking it up hour by hour over month(s) does not serve it well at all. That is why I am waiting for it to be done to watch it. [quote]

T Star Wars doesn't feel special anymore, it feels like run of the mill sci-fi.
    It isn't special anymore, which is why they are having so much trouble going "forward" and all the shows and movies went backwards now. It was special when it was the first.

I really like Mando, but even I was getting sick of the constant "connecting" to the past (yes I know it is set in the past but it used to stay away from it to some extent). I hope Mando S3 just deep dives into Mandolorian stuff and stops connecting to Asohka, Luke and Jedi shit.

I hear that. Wanda+vision and the Falcon and the Winter soldier felt pretty special. I also liked Loki. She-hulk is also a delight. But my favorite format for marvel television was back when Netflix had their little corner of the universe going on. Don't get me wrong, iron fist was, is, and always will be a tragedy, but the other three were pretty good. You knew it would always have content coming but you could decompress between seasons and you weren't stalked by this persistent feeling of FOMO.

Disney just needs to relax and slow down. The way they're pushing Pixar, marvel and star wars for CONSTANT CONTENT is oversaturating their own market. Surely they can see that the EA route serves no one.
    Disney doesn't need good. It needs "good enough you wont' cancel the subscription."

Luckily... tbh, I don't feel like i've misseed anything by skipping stuff that doesn't interest me. I haven't seen Ms Marvel and I see no reason to see it at all. I was super delayed watching a handful of movies and shows and it affected nothing.

I really really really liked the "highs" from most of the Netflix Marvel Shows but by god, soooo. much. padding. They are entirely too long. (and honestly I found some of the acting straight up bad and I was sad they are bringing back so many of the actors.)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Still my favorite Marvel Netflix moment. So many questions to ask! Why was Cottonmouth on that roof? Why did he do this while wearing a hand tailored Italian three piece? Where did he get a rocket launcher? What was with that goofy smile while he was doing it? Who picked that background music? (The background music was awesome!)

Mike Colter was as cool a Luke Cage as one could hope for, but Season 1 was the Cottonmouth show.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Still my favorite Marvel Netflix moment. So many questions to ask! Why was Cottonmouth on that roof? Why did he do this while wearing a hand tailored Italian three piece? Where did he get a rocket launcher? What was with that goofy smile while he was doing it? Who picked that background music? (The background music was awesome!)
    And why did he want to kill Luke Cage? And ruin an emotional moment?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe