Page 73 of 827 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173573 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    That ancestry debate is quite interesting. I can see both sides of the argument, but ultimately have to side against the Cherokee Chief. These ancestry tests help give people, who otherwise wouldn't know, knowledge of their past. I myself took one with 23andme, out of curiosity, and came out to be 46% Native American. Now I'm not going to go around trying to claim a tribe/nation but I'm also not going to deny my ancestry either, especially when it's so significant.
    Out of curiosity, did that change anything in your life? what did you think you were? Half is... quite large? Do the tests recognize any hispanic country as Native or somethig?

I always thought about this, more out of curiosity because the black side of my family has some REALLY light skinned folks and some REALLY dark skin folks so i've been curious "how" african it really is (seems like slave owner shennanigans to me at a glance). Then again, I have no idea what my mom's dad looks like so maybe hes real light skin or something.

Anyway

but then I decided it woudln't really change anything in my day to day life, I really don't care to "belong" to a group or identify with some random african country i'll never go to so I decided to save my money to waste on something else more important. like comic books or something lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

On my paternal Grandmother's side she was 1/4 Chickasaw for sure. Possibly more because we know her family was at one point enslaved by them but eventually was married in due to birth and census records. They all fled Oklahoma after black wall street was burnt down.

My super-hotep cousin went kind of crazy when she found all that out.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Yea I'ma keep it movin, I don't waste foods though, so...

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    You can't say he's an exception to the rule when you specifically try to dismiss the other individuals who I stated are also in the game.
    If you don't like Morris Chestnut, or Terry Crews, that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't change the fact that in the TV realm they represent.

Kanye West is an exception to the rule,

but when you run 50% of TV land and 90% of the movie scene, you're no longer the exception, you're the majority.

I just pointed out the representation in my previous post. Every single MCU hero from Marvel has been dark skin. Finn? Dark Skin, Idris Alba? Dark Skin, Daniel Kuuluya? Dark Skin, I can go on and on.

Now that's not to say it's on lock across the board of course. The movie genre and television genre is noticeably different. Television is more evenly spread out for sure. But let's not pretend here, Sterling K Brown is on star on of the top rated shows on television This is Us. Dark Skin. Morris Chestnut had his own show called Rosewood. You got two dark skin brothas on Brooklyn Nine, Terry Crews and Andre Braugher, etc etc.

I mean that's how you feel.

Never for a second have I ever considered or categorized the black actors you've named from the MCU or Star Wars (hell, all Disney) as anything other than just being black actors. I feel counting the dark(er) complected actors is quantitative argument that really doesn't have enough arithmetical value (along legacy black capes in general AND/OR the actors available to play them) to break it down along those lines. IF one feels there aren't any lighter skinned brothers wearing capes or shooting stormtroopers, I guess that's an argument...

Also specifically Terry Crews and Andre Braugher have worked off and on in television since the 90's, at least in Braugher's case and often it's not been steady work. Brooklyn 99 is probably the most steady work either of them have had in their carreers and both these guys are well over 50 and put in the work again for a long time. I don't want to minimize them, they're good at what they do and more talented than their counterparts. Again, **** Morris Chestnut and his failed series, you want a better example try Eamonn Walker... Except he's 4th or 5th billing on a show that not a lot of people watch so... I guess that's another one for your argument of the darkskin wave??? IDK, Hundreds of hours of Network television during any given week and dozens of major studio movie releases in a given year and Morris Chestnut along with a dozen other brothas is brought up as some example of numbers. Yea that's a no from me dawg.

The adjustment was made because you twisted the subject. We're talking John Henry, the movie. As such, when I was primarily talking about Hollywood, I was referring to the movie genre, not the television genre. Yet your response were entirely revolving around the television scene, which has it's own set of rules. You can't lump Hollywood as a whole because each specific area of Hollywood (movies, television, Broadway, etc) has it's own problems.
    Sure and facts, we are talking about just a movie here. So let's argue the severity levels of Jim Crow rules from one town to the next. That's how you feel. I feel the 'rules' are more similar than you're willing to concede.

Secondly my statement has been entirely revolved around media representation in the movies, not who has it easier between dark skin or light skin, because unlike many who attempt to state dark skin have it worse, I state each group has their own set of problems, as just like young dark skin boys having self esteem issues and confusion, so can I post the same of light skin or biracial individuals, though their problems is often different. But all of that is outside the point, I'm not debating about oppression olympics because that was never the original message.
    As far as the bolded, yes, you can and maybe should. I get that and not for nothin' there ain't no Olympics, oppression or otherwise, without Black folks. It is what it is, that can be misconstrued as dismissive of attitudes and behaviors and I don't feel that's the way it should go.

My entire point has been to disagree with the idea that the Rock shouldn't take the role because he's too light to represent the character,
    using the false idea that light skin movie actors are being used to make movies more "palpable" to the general audience.
    I don't find this exact and specific correlation to be 100% true (even though you've said the same thing except swap out light for dark). Palpability to the general audience is such a set of specific standards that I don't always see the fruits of. That's me, anybody else see this different?

As mentioned earlier, in the movie scene dark skin brothas has the scene on lock,
    Yea no. I don't feel that way about black actors in general so that includes the divided branch of that group.

But overall, I completely disagree with the idea that he's too light for the character,

because

it ties with the classic "he's not black enough stigma" associated with light skin people to begin with.
    Overall I feel the Rock should find a younger Eamon Walker for example to play Henry. Your A-> B has a whole lot of assumption to it and I don't feel most people feel that way. I don't think I'm on an island about that. If so then call me Mr. fuckin' Howell then.

I feel there is a certain historical context that should be applied in regards to, yes, a movie about John Henry. I'm not shading the Rock over his perception of racial ambiguity either. If I did- I wouldn't have a 100% total non-issue with that either. Me not wanting the Rock to play Henry is a hodge of a couple issues but yes, I want someone darker. That's not a dig at Johnson's 'blackness'. It is a dig at his acting or just being a goofball in general and being built like the fuckin' Rock. So we clear, we're also not talking about ROOTS here but in the era of fake news and false narratives, if you're going to tell a story about a black man from the late 1800's, find a guy who looks like he's from the 1800's and not an action star superhero from the 2010's.

The statue of John Henry (1972) from John Henry Memorial Park in West Virginia for context. Without looking it up I'd gather this is prolly the ONLY statue of a black man in West Virginia. Excuse me for not wanting to see do a people's elbow in live action.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

well that is better

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Nubia and Vixen by Marcus Williams

A flyer from the local con coming up...it will be the first year I don't vend and will instead just be a customer/browser. But the main reason I posted this is because of the match up of characters. The only one that doesn't make sense is War Machine and Green Lantern. I do remember back in the day with Amalgam comics, those two characters (well it was Iron Man) were merged and became Iron Lantern...maybe that's what inspired this artist.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

A flyer from the local con coming up...it will be the first year I don't vend and will instead just be a customer/browser. But the main reason I posted this is because of the match up of characters. The only one that doesn't make sense is War Machine and Green Lantern. I do remember back in the day with Amalgam comics, those two characters (well it was Iron Man) were merged and became Iron Lantern...maybe that's what inspired this artist.
    John and Rhodes are African American legacy characters who are have military backgrounds. T'Challa and Bruce were black and are known for fighting with their mental skills.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Black dude replacement characters, I guess.

Ultimate Member

https://shadowandact.com/michael-b-j...-new-franchise

Michael B. Jordan is adding to his acting and production slate with The Silver Bear.

According to Deadline, Jordan will play the lead role of Columbus, an assassin who "becomes the most feared and respected hit man in the criminal underworld." Jordan will produce the film via his Outlier Society production company and Nickel City Pictures. The Silver Bear author Derek Haas will also executive produce along with Tobias Weymar and Michael Garnett.

Jordan's assassin character Columbus is called a "silver bear" by Russian criminals because "he never fails, and he seems immune to the stresses of his work." But a job to kill the Speaker of the House puts Columbus on a collision course with his own past because the Speaker isn't just a candidate in position to become the next president, but its Columbus' own father.

The film could become a new franchise for Jordan--a second one for Jordan, seeing how he's already attached to the Creed franchise--and Lionsgate. Lionsgate Motion Picture Group chairman Joe Drake told Deadline that Jordan "is the perfect movie star to inhabit the skin of this dynamic character and take us into the cinematic world of Columbus."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    John and Rhodes are African American legacy characters who are have military backgrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Black dude replacement characters, I guess.
    True indeed.

My mind was on the power sets, I suppose.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

And you're example is a perfect example. You're almost literally half native american, that's not some 1/32 that warren was talking about. Now fortunately you're not interested in claiming a tribe so that doesn't cause an issue, but with the requirements in place, you're literally unable to claim a tribe if you wanted to, even though you're half native american. And I disagree with that logic.
    And I disgree with those requirements as well. The thing is though, these dna tests aren't able to prove which Tribe/Nation the ancestry comes from. Further research is required (ie census records, birth certificates...etc).

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Out of curiosity, did that change anything in your life? what did you think you were? Half is... quite large? Do the tests recognize any hispanic country as Native or somethig?

I always thought about this, more out of curiosity because the black side of my family has some REALLY light skinned folks and some REALLY dark skin folks so i've been curious "how" african it really is (seems like slave owner shennanigans to me at a glance). Then again, I have no idea what my mom's dad looks like so maybe hes real light skin or something.

Anyway

but then I decided it woudln't really change anything in my day to day life, I really don't care to "belong" to a group or identify with some random african country i'll never go to so I decided to save my money to waste on something else more important. like comic books or something lol.
    Honestly, ever since I was young, I always identified as Mexican or a Brown guy racially, even if I'm light skin. It wasn't until I grew up that I found out those weren't "real" racial groups or proper identification on a census. So I went and identified with the closest, Latino.

After taking a Chicano History class in college I became interested in exploring my ancestry. I decided to take a DNA test to see what I was, in regards to racial groups. Turns out im 46% Native American, 43% European, 5% African, 2% Middle Eastern (the remaining 4% was unidentifiable or didn't match their dna sample groups... I forget the explanation lol). Basically, I'm multiracial, like the vast majority of Latin Americans are. Didn't change how I identify or feel, it just opened my eyes to how mixed my people actually are lol. The most surprising thing for me, was that both my maternal and paternal haplogroups are Native American. Usually when it comes to Latinos, Paternal is European and Maternal is Native American, but not me haha.

As for knowing which Native groups/tribe/civilization I descend from, well I haven't researched that part yet. The closest I've gotten is that I likely have Caxcan and Purepecha ancestry from my dad's side and possibly Navajo/ Tohono ancestry ontop of Tarahumara from my mom's side, judging by the regions my family comes from though. Could even have some Mayan ancestry too, juding by my features. I doubt I have Aztec ancestry since the majority of the peoples I've listed were their enemies lol. Maybe someday I'll know for sure, I just wouldn't know where or how to start looking.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

A question for those here who are writers.

I'm planning on breaking into the writing scene myself and am in need of some advice for something. I need a bit of advice on how to write non-American/non-European people of color in fantasy stories that don't use existing mythology.

Let me explain. Say I have a character who's from the Philippines and is Tagalog. Her powers are magical in nature and hereditary. And she has connections to another dimension. How do I acknowledge this without erasing her Tagalog upbringing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A question for those here who are writers.

I'm planning on breaking into the writing scene myself and am in need of some advice for something. I need a bit of advice on how to write non-American/non-European people of color in fantasy stories that don't use existing mythology.

Let me explain. Say I have a character who's from the Philippines and is Tagalog. Her powers are magical in nature and hereditary. And she has connections to another dimension. How do I acknowledge this without erasing her Tagalog upbringing.
    Couldn't you just feature her upbringing in the story.

Kobe got removed from a film festival thing beause of his rape allegation

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...000612450.html

Extraordinary Member

So a white woman calls the police on a 9 year old black boy who she said groped her. Turns out she was wrong wouldn't be the first time....
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/n...-brooklyn.html
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 10-18-2018 at 06:47 AM.