Page 740 of 828 FirstFirst ... 240640690730736737738739740741742743744750790 ... LastLast
Results 11,086 to 11,100 of 12414
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I still think Shazam is much cooler name than Captain Marvel or Thunder.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I'm going to a movie theater for the first time in almost 3 years to see Black Adam, because I really do love that character. But even though I'm laying down cash for it, it doesn't mean I think Dwayne Johnson was the right choice for the role. The guy is charismatic as hell there is no doubting that, but Adam isn't just charismatic; he's tragic. Anything that could go wrong for that guy did go wrong and that's the reason for his f*** the world attitude. I just don't know if The Rock is capable of projecting that sort of solemnity. It's possible, though.

Well, Johson's depiction wasn't the worst part of this movie imo. Curious how you dug it. The way they structured his background was pretty good actually?

The extent of my Black Adam fandom is still the 70's Filmation show, It'd be cap to feel drawn to the character more than that. Even though that was my shiznit back when I was little.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

So, an article has come out claiming that Sacheen Littlefeather faked her Native American heritage https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...n-17520648.php.

The article allegedly contains direct quotes from Littlefeather's own sisters.

However, some have claimed that the author of the article has a known history of falsely accusing people of faking Native American heritage, including Native American who are also black.

And apparently she once suggested using blackface as a form of protest against a football team.

https://twitter.com/FrancesMFDanger/...7cZ3Ovm7w&s=19

https://www.powwows.com/the-problem-...etendian-list/

https://twitter.com/lenavandross/sta...WRShqaumRwRi7w
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So, an article has come out claiming that Sacheen Littlefeather faked her Native American heritage https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...n-17520648.php.

The article allegedly contains direct quotes from Littlefeather's own sisters.

However, some have claimed that the author of the article has a known history of falsely accusing people of faking Native American heritage, including Native American who are also black.

And apparently she once suggested using blackface as a form of protest against a football team.

https://twitter.com/FrancesMFDanger/...7cZ3Ovm7w&s=19

https://www.powwows.com/the-problem-...etendian-list/

https://twitter.com/lenavandross/sta...WRShqaumRwRi7w
    I haven't finished reading the article, but here's my issue with it: if Sacheen Littlefeather was a fraud, why can't I find evidence that the related tribes had a problem with her? I literally haven't been able to find anything about the tribes disavowing her.

Yeah, the Apache says they have no *enrollment for her or her family, but Jacqueline Keelers notably doesn't mention if the Apache (or the Yaqui) had a problem with Sacheen Littlefeather. I can't find anything - the only dispute about Sacheen Littlefeather's heritage is either Jacqueline Keelers or loops back to her. Sacheen was making claims for at least forty-two years. In 1973, the first part of her speech involves claiming she's Apache and going by her wikipedia article, she was very prolific and involved, so it doesn't make sense that she went under the radio for so long, especially if the White Mountain Apache tribe could easily verify, by way of their enrollment records, if she was Apache or not. She also doesn't state, or maybe I missed it, if the White Mountain Apache considers enrollment to be necessary for someone to claim Apache heritage.

Again, Jacqueline Keelers says that the White Mountain Apache didn't have records of any enrollment, but she notably doesn't mention if the White Mountain Apache had a problem with Sacheen Littlefeather's claims about being one of them. I tried looking on the official Apache website, but had no luck finding anything.

* When I looked up enrollment, I found that enrollment apparently isn't cut and dry: for example, someone not being specifically enrolled does not prove that they do not have tribal heritage, especially due to how strict criteria can be in some tribes and how the number of enrollments are sometimes limited by resources, not by people who meet the criteria.

When I searched Jacqueline Keelers, I found other articles written by Native Americans who took issue with her pretendians list and what she used to judge some people as pretendians. For example, enrollment over whether the person was accepted and recognized by the tribe or not. Although, some of the people who ended up on her list were apparently enrolled in their tribe.

https://lastrealindians.com/news/202...5y8npx67n6jng0
    I cross-checked some names to make sure it was genuine. I only did a few names, however, because there's a lot, but the ones I did find seemed legit recognized by their community.

EDIT: According to the article, LaNada Warjack claims that Sacheen Littlefeather was not at Alcatraz. Adam Fortunate Eagle, one of the principle organizers of the Occupation of Alcatraz, however, confirmed in 1973 that Sacheen Littlefeather supported the protest at Alcatraz (Found it - no direct quote) Jacqueline Keeler does not mention, let alone address, Adam Fortunate Eagle in her article, which I find odd because I feel it's the sort of thing you mention for transparency's sake. It's suspiciously similar to how she doesn't mention how the White Mountain Apache feel about Sacheen Littlefeather, just that she wasn't enrolled.

I also have to point out something about Sacheen Littlefeather's sisters as character witnesses: they were estranged from their sister, to the point where they only knew she had died because they read about it online and they weren't invited to her funeral - they're not unbiased and I know too many complicated or different-dynamic-and-effects abuse and/or difficult home life stories to immediately side with one over the other on their account of their childhood.

It doesn't help that Sacheen Littlefeather is dead, so she can't challenge these claims herself. Notably, she alleged that she had a difficult childhood as early as 1974. She also described her father as abusive in a 1976 televised interview, but it's only after her death in 2022 that her sisters challenged her claims. Maybe Sacheen Littlefeathers did exaggerate or outright lie about her home life. It's entirely possible that she lied, but it's also entirely possible that she didn't. It's not a certainty, however. At least, I don't think so.

Honestly, I got no idea whether I think she lied about her heritage or not.

Pretendians are a real problem and maybe Sacheen Littlefeather was one of them, but I'm going to wait to see if the White Mountain Apache or the Yaqui actually makes a statement to that effect. If anyone knows if they've already have made one or they've made one in the past, please link it.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 10-22-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Yeah, that article and its author seem pretty sketch, to me. This would have been blockbuster reporting 50 years ago, but it just feels vengeful, immediately following her death.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah, that article and its author seem pretty sketch, to me. This would have been blockbuster reporting 50 years ago, but it just feels vengeful, immediately following her death.
    While I was doing some research, I found out that Jacqueline Keelers has actually made these accusations before Sacheen Littlefeather's death (ex. 2021) along with some of the purported evidence she presents in the article. She was in fact the one who edited Sacheen Littlefeather's wikipedia article to include the discourse (confirmed by her on twitter)

It still swings back to the same big problem I have with the 2022 article: why can't I find any objections made by the White Mountain Apache themselves?

Jacqueline Keeler spoke to tribe officials to get information about whether Sacheen Littlefeather or members of her family had ever been enrolled or not, but the White Mounain Apache didn't have an opinion themselves on the matter?

She focuses on Sacheen Littlefeather's alleged White Mountain Apache ancestry, but the White Mountain Apache themselves are strangely absent from the article. You have interviews with Littlefeather sisters, LaNada Warjack etc., but no one from the tribe itself? Not even one official?
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 10-22-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Sooooo, apparently, Jacqueline Keeler didn't disclose in her article that she was the one who told Littlefeather's sisters that they (allegedly) didn't have Apache or Yaqui heritage. She didn't learn it from them, they learned it from her.

I don't have Twitter, so it won't let me find the posts. I have to rely on screenshots. Here's the above exchange, but without the cut-off.

At this point, Jacqueline Keeler's article will still feel dishonest even if Sacheen Littlefeather does turn out to have been a fraud.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 10-22-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    While I was doing some research, I found out that Jacqueline Keelers has actually made these accusations before Sacheen Littlefeather's death (ex. 2021) along with some of the purported evidence she presents in the article. She was in fact the one who edited Sacheen Littlefeather's wikipedia article to include the discourse (confirmed by her on twitter)

It still swings back to the same big problem I have with the 2022 article: why can't I find any objections made by the White Mountain Apache themselves?

Jacqueline Keeler spoke to tribe officials to get information about whether Sacheen Littlefeather or members of her family had ever been enrolled or not, but the White Mounain Apache didn't have an opinion themselves on the matter?

She focuses on Sacheen Littlefeather's alleged White Mountain Apache ancestry, but the White Mountain Apache themselves are strangely absent from the article. You have interviews with Littlefeather sisters, LaNada Warjack etc., but no one from the tribe itself? Not even one official?
    Honestly, you care a lot more than me, because I'm not doing any research, at all. My Spidey sense still doesn't trust that chick, or her article.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Honestly, you care a lot more than me, because I'm not doing any research, at all. My Spidey sense still doesn't trust that chick, or her article.
    This basically.

When stuff like this comes out IMMEDIATELY after a person dies, I tend to be very skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Well, Johson's depiction wasn't the worst part of this movie imo. Curious how you dug it. The way they structured his background was pretty good actually?

The extent of my Black Adam fandom is still the 70's Filmation show, It'd be cap to feel drawn to the character more than that. Even though that was my shiznit back when I was little.
    His new origin felt a little convoluted, I thought. They could have kept it simple, instead of taking on all that extra unnecessarily complicated drama. But, yeah, Johnson did a really good job. It was a performance that felt true to the character. I read some critical reviews that complained that Johnson wasn't doing enough acting in the role and that he was playing it too stoically tough, but you know that's basically Adam in a nutshell, so no complaints from me.

The Justice Society was cool too but I don't know what the hell they were doing with Hawkman. He had a cool look but they kind of made him too much of an asshole to root for. Amanda Waller was once again the low-key MVP of the DCEU. All in all a good time at the theaters I thought.

His new origin felt a little convoluted, I thought. They could have kept it simple, instead of taking on all that extra unnecessarily complicated drama. But, yeah, Johnson did a really good job. It was a performance that felt true to the character. I read some critical reviews that complained that Johnson wasn't doing enough acting in the role and that he was playing it too stoically tough, but you know that's basically Adam in a nutshell, so no complaints from me.

The Justice Society was cool too but I don't know what the hell they were doing with Hawkman. He had a cool look but they kind of made him too much of an asshole to root for. Amanda Waller was once again the low-key MVP of the DCEU. All in all a good time at the theaters I thought.
    Really? I thought it was pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Really? I thought it was pretty simple.
    spoilers:
    The way it was changed so that he was never the champion and was never worthy of the power, plus the addition of a son felt really tacked on to me. I preferred the simpler origin: that he was a great champion who became blinded by arrogance. I don't think making him a grieving father added any complexity.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Just like that, Kanye West is literally no longer a billionaire.

One of the laws of power is "don't offend the wrong person". Now, we are basically watching capitalism in action.

Kanye might want to consider going back to Kim Kardashian again, he might need another bailout again.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Just like that, Kanye West is literally no longer a billionaire.

One of the laws of power is "don't offend the wrong person". Now, we are basically watching capitalism in action.

Kanye might want to consider going back to Kim Kardashian again, he might need another bailout again.
    I've seen his net worth estimated from about $1.3 bil to $6.5bil. I think the Addias deal was for $500 mil? So, Even if he's at the lower end, he's still close. But it's his own fault. He could have clarified his statements or apologized but spent the last two weeks going on every show he could to not only double down but say even worse stuff. Then he goes on a podcast bragging, "I can say antisemitic stuff and they can't drop me, so now what?" So West effed around and found out...

As far as Kim, well...Kanye spent like what, the last year and half begging for her to take him back in the most public and embarrassing way. She's pretty much shown everyone that that ship has sailed.

Invincible Member

spoilers:
    The way it was changed so that he was never the champion and was never worthy of the power, plus the addition of a son felt really tacked on to me. I preferred the simpler origin: that he was a great champion who became blinded by arrogance. I don't think making him a grieving father added any complexity.
    end of spoilers
    I could be wrong cuz I'm trying to remember a comic I didn't finish from like 10 yrs ago but spoilers:
    Didn't Adam have a family and lose them at one time?
    end of spoilers It would have been around the Infinite Crisis/Week 52 stuff DC was doing. I'll admit though I could he mixing it up with another story from around then...