Page 743 of 828 FirstFirst ... 243643693733739740741742743744745746747753793 ... LastLast
Results 11,131 to 11,145 of 12407

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Takeoff from the Migos was shot dead…during a dice game.

The boy was just 28. May he RIP.

Too many of these young rappers are putting themselves in positions where they shouldn’t be. Funny thing is Takeoff was the more “quiet” member of the group.
    from my quick reading on it... it was an upscale type place and he wasn't even playing, just hanging around.

of course, its texas, so everyone is strapped though
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

With affirmative action being scrapped, I'm curious how many African-Americans will actually get into some of these top universities.

Note, I mean African-Americans and not Africans in America that come from different educational and economic backgrounds (I believe that Nigerians were the best-performing and highly educated immigrants in the US, so much so that right-wingers have been using them shamefully as the "model minority"). On the other hand, a lot of African-Americans currently attend underfunded and poorly managed schools thus already making them disadvantaged already. Interestingly, a substantial number of successful older African-Americans including Clarence Thomas benefited from affirmative action (despite all his bluster).

From the outside looking in, it's looking like things are going to get very tough for African-Americans to enter these schools because these schools still practice legacy admissions and a lot of Asians have significant advantages over African-Americans because of their educational and economic backgrounds just like Nigerians.

It's a complicated topic with no easy answers but scrapping affirmative action without addressing the reason why it exists in the first place won't really help IMO.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-01-2022 at 05:54 PM.

I didn't even realize affirmative action was still something people whined about. I thought they got over it.

Affirmative action is a band aid... but you can't take the band aid off if you aren't gonna fix the wound. And that wound is still huge.

I don't LIKE affirmative action. It is similar to abortion to me. In a perfect society, in a great world... I'd hate them both. But the world isn't perfect, **** just isn't fair for some people, and it allowed a lot of people who would be stuck in the gutters to get some upward mobility in life.

The higher ups know what they are doing. The idiot voters are just reeeeeeing about social politics they don't even understand.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I didn't even realize affirmative action was still something people whined about. I thought they got over it.

Affirmative action is a band aid... but you can't take the band aid off if you aren't gonna fix the wound. And that wound is still huge.

I don't LIKE affirmative action. It is similar to abortion to me. In a perfect society, in a great world... I'd hate them both. But the world isn't perfect, **** just isn't fair for some people, and it allowed a lot of people who would be stuck in the gutters to get some upward mobility in life.

The higher-ups know what they are doing. The idiot voters are just reeeeeeing about social politics they don't even understand.
    That's the problem I have with these debates these days, issues like AA and abortion are very, very, very complicated issues but they've been overly simplified in recent times. I don't believe that government should ban abortion considering the medical and societal implications. Women have been committing abortions for centuries for a variety of reasons and that will never, ever stop. The right wing has made it seem like women are just committing abortions and are excited about terminating pregnancies in their bodies whereas the reality is the complete opposite. Most women don't even disclose they've had abortions and when they do, they almost always talk about how hard it was. I don't know a single woman that has had an abortion that talks about it proudly.

Regarding, Affirmative Action, it actually doesn't help African-Americans as much as the right wing makes it because, from my reading of the transcript of the oral arguments before the supreme court, Black and Hispanic students even with higher scores than white Americans are admitted at a lower rate.

This is the transcript from the oral arguments:

Everyone can get a boost for all sorts of reasons, minorities don't automatically get a boost under this system, so it is hard to know whether anyone is being disadvantaged from the mere fact that a minority could get a boost in this environment, right?"

"That's Right" "And the evidence also bears it out at petition, appendix 78, uh, where the evidence showed that Hundreds of white students with lower combined GPAs and SATs scores were admitted ahead of higher performing Black students, LatinX students who went to UNC and I think that bears the hallmark of this, the type of individualized considerations that this court wanted"

"Thank you counsel" CJ Roberts

"Thank you" UNC lawyer.
    The argument against AA has been so twisted to make it seem like African-Americans that are "dumb" are being admitted at a higher rate than other races. This isn't even true and the media has really done a poor job of reporting all this.

The issue around university admissions is so unbelievably complicated and monetized that scrapping AA won't really achieve anything except reduce the number of black and Hispanic students in those schools. Which I guess is ultimately the point seeing the case was originally brought forward by a white person and not even the Asian community that they like to use as examples.

The higher ups know what they are doing. The idiot voters are just reeeeeeing about social politics they don't even understand.
    I hate even using the term Affirmative action because is the half-assedly, quarter-assedly, addressing of a symptom when the whole body has a terminal illness. There is not, a group in this country, that can speak on so many levels about one topic, as well as Black Americans can speak to and that's LABOR. Equality, FULL equality, c'mon can't aim that high why would you want to. A fair shake, mmmm, across the board? Asking a lot. Affirmative action was just looking for- not equality or a FAIR shake per sea, but just A SHAKE a shot. That's it and as a group they have outkicked the coverage on that front.

Labor practices in this country have disproportionately and historically affected African Americans in the largest numbers. In so many parts of the US, exclusion is the rule not the outlier, strides have been made but the damage done is irrefutable. No assimilation option for us, no chopping up your last name in an effort to blend in. Hell, we've got the last name part, still on all our backs as is!

Also, none of this speaks to the wide practices of University admission standards as well as hiring qualifications, having gone UP since AA was put in place.
    Last edited by Surf; 11-02-2022 at 08:40 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The issue around university admissions is so unbelievably complicated and monetized that scrapping AA won't really achieve anything except reduce the number of black and Hispanic students in those schools. Which I guess is ultimately the point seeing the case was originally brought forward by a white person and not even the Asian community that they like to use as examples.
    This part, even as the returns on a college education become less and less on the working a job you're degreed in side.

Tbf you are still going to need the bodies of young brothas for athletics and way too many Universities up and down the socioeconomic ladder need that labor to fund the rest of their athletic departments. And by athletics I mean the biggest (BILLIONS OF DOLLARS) beneficiaries to non-paid labor in this country.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This part, even as the returns on a college education become less and less on the working a job you're degreed in side.

Tbf you are still going to need the bodies of young brothas for athletics and way too many Universities up and down the socioeconomic ladder need that labor to fund the rest of their athletic departments. And by athletics I mean the biggest (BILLIONS OF DOLLARS) beneficiaries to non-paid labor in this country.
    "Those black and brown kids are better off not going to college anyway, they'd all be gender studies majors or go into the humanities, or worse, the arts, we need more of them to go into STEM and TRADES like REAL AMERICANS." -Conservatives/Mike Rowe

"Ah, so would you be interested in raising their wages and making their working conditions safer so that they don't completely destroy their bodies by the time they're 40 or y'know, accidently kill themselves?" -Garden Variety Liberal

"...um, No, because that's COMMMUNISM!" -Conservatives/Mike Rowe

I have my OSHA card, you want to know the safest way to handle yourself on a construction site?...Don't go to one.

This push to get people into STEM fields is not good because it's going to create a glut which will drive wages down, which is exactly what these tech giants want. When people say STEM, they usually mean coding. Elon wants those software engineers at twitter to work 84 hours a week and charging for blue checks because he bought a sinking ship. Most of these tech companies have never turned a profit and are kept alive by angel investors.. The google campus is a cross between Disneyland and a labor camp. Sure they have all those nice amenities, but they're all designed to keep employees there around the clock.

Conservatives also love to complain about the arts being too liberal all the time, but actively discourage people from going into them. They love Hollywood, but Hollywood doesn't love them back. Brett Cooper was an actress, Ben Shapiro was a screenwriter, Schwarzenegger's an actor, Reagan was an actor, Trump was a game show host and TV personality since the 80's. Trump was in Home Alone 2.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 11-02-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Midterms feel weirdly... quiet.

Why are people like this?

God, if even a fraction of the people online who scream about politics actually voted at all, this country might progress again.

This country will scream to a complete halt if the house flips. Two years of absolutely nothing being done except political fighting on twitter.

God, if even a fraction of the people online who scream about politics actually voted at all, this country might progress again.

This country will scream to a complete halt if the house flips. Two years of absolutely nothing being done except political fighting on twitter.
    One thing that disappoints me is that I saw a report on NBC News that early voter turn out from the younger crowd is shockingly low with the amount of talk they have put in and what is at stake.

I just dont get why people dont vote. Early voting, Mail in voting, I just dont get with what is going on right now why there is not mor turn out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    One thing that disappoints me is that I saw a report on NBC News that early voter turn out from the younger crowd is shockingly low with the amount of talk they have put in and what is at stake.

I just dont get why people dont vote. Early voting, Mail in voting, I just dont get with what is going on right now why there is not mor turn out.
    Online "activism" is easy.

I guess registering to vote and getting it done is just "too hard" despite the fact 80 year old grandma who hates everyone seems to manage it just fine despite the fact she can't work a smartphone lol

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

Some people don’t seem to understand the stakes I guess. Plus young people don’t generally vote.

A lot of them spend time on social media attacking other people instead of actually going to get something done.

Exactly.

Some people don’t seem to understand the stakes I guess. Plus young people don’t generally vote.

A lot of them spend time on social media attacking other people instead of actually going to get something done.
    I just can't relate I guess.

I voted at 18. I stood my ass in line and did it. There was no mail in voting, no early voting. I stood in line, on election day, like everyone else.

then again 2 years later, then again, then again, then again.

I just don't "get it." This was before mass campaigns to get young people to vote. Before people stood outside places registering you and telling you where to go. Hell, this is before smartphones (well before I had one lol) so you can navigate to the voting spot or hell... easily google how to find your voting location.

Invincible Member

This has been a thing for years. People in general don't approach the mid-terms with the same urgency that they do the presidency and young people in particular are notoriously flakey when it comes to voting. I don't know what the answer is, that is, how you get more people to care....

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This has been a thing for years. People in general don't approach the mid-terms with the same urgency that they do the presidency and young people in particular are notoriously flakey when it comes to voting. I don't know what the answer is, that is, how you get more people to care....
    TBH, as someone that is getting older (and crankier) it is beyond frustrating and I can see how the older you get, the more conservative you become and its just a "well F'em" situation where you only care about stuff that directly affects you and the people you live with.

Damn NBA is more of a soap opera than old day time television, holy moly