Page 749 of 828 FirstFirst ... 249649699739745746747748749750751752753759799 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,235 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Damn, didn't know him and I damn sure didnt watch Ellen but I have seen those Old Navy commercials. That brotha was barley 40. Idk man, distressing. The trappings of fame? That's too bad, RIP.
    One of the two reasons I don't keep a gun in the house. I'm not a big anti gun guy, they generally don't bother me at all.

But it is WAY too easy to have a depression episode, something pushes you a little harder, and make a really really really bad decision really quickly. Like what... 5 mins of "F this im out" and you can be done. All other methods take way more planning aka time to snap out of it or aren't nearly as lethal.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    One of the two reasons I don't keep a gun in the house. I'm not a big anti gun guy, they generally don't bother me at all.

But it is WAY too easy to have a depression episode, something pushes you a little harder, and make a really really really bad decision really quickly. Like what... 5 mins of "F this im out" and you can be done. All other methods take way more planning aka time to snap out of it or aren't nearly as lethal.
    I can't speak much to the disorder part but I agree that HAS to be a consideration.

On the Black male side of it though, 1- we can catch it twice the ways and means of anybody else. Shiit, I've got into it with mfks, through no fault of my own, at gas stations, luckily cooler heads prevail. It goes left everyday though. 2- I hate he left someone close to him to find him after. That's a scar that won't heal, I guess he had younger kids too? That's real hard man, then to that's the disorder part that might not could rationale or consider it.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Shiit, I've got into it with mfks, through no fault of my own, at gas stations, luckily cooler heads prevail.
    Yeah... In my youth this definitely happened.

Nowadays, I just kinda take a deep breath, take the "L" argument wise, and leave. Ain't worth it, too may crazy MOFO out there.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yeah... In my youth this definitely happened.

Nowadays, I just kinda take a deep breath, take the "L" argument wise, and leave. Ain't worth it, too may crazy MOFO out there.
    I've tried to explain to my knucklehead cousins numerous times that running the streets and picking fights with people is stupid. I've been dismissed as a "coward" because I didn't "stand up for myself" before, which usually means getting in shouting matches over dumb stuff. Now they're both locked up, I'm just grateful they're not dead.

Now that we're talking about black men and mental health, I remember that black female therapist who got canned for calling black men dusty mf's who needed to get themselves together and go to therapy already on tiktok, in addition to another black female therapist who said that she had a hard time seeing black men as human beings who deserve love and care because of the way they treat their partners. I mean, I know skinfolk ain't kinfolk but why they think negative reinforcement is going to get black men to go to therapy is beyond me.

I think therapy is actually a good thing, but I haaattee the way the internet talks about therapy. The internet thinks therapy can do anything. It can't, it's not the panacea for mental health the internet believes it is. There are financial and time barriers for a lot of people, good luck finding a therapist you can afford that's open past 5pm on weekdays. There are also bad therapists, like the two I mentioned. Sure there's betterhelp and talkspace, but betterhelp costs $60-90 a session and talkspace costs $65 a week, therapy is out of reach for most people. Pushing therapy is an individual, middle class solution to complex societal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think therapy is actually a good thing, but I haaattee the way the internet talks about therapy. The internet thinks therapy can do anything. It can't, it's not the panacea for mental health the internet believes it is. There are financial and time barriers for a lot of people, good luck finding a therapist you can afford that's open past 5pm on weekdays. There are also bad therapists, like the two I mentioned. Sure there's betterhelp and talkspace, but betterhelp costs $60-90 a session and talkspace costs $65 a week, therapy is out of reach for most people. Pushing therapy is an individual, middle class solution to complex societal problems.
    100% agree with this. .

I cant speak at all about what minorites go through or their experience with therapy. But I have had some really bad experiences myself and Ive been pretty open about my mental health issues on this board. I am in Therapy but it is one of those county places that helps low income people. There is a large instance of rotating doctors, therapists, and case managers. I have been going there for 7 years and am on therapist number 12. It is hard to open up to a person when they are going to be gone in 3 months and you just have to start the process all over again with a person that couldnt bother to read your damn file.

And yes there are some bad ones out there. The ones going to the low income places are not the best. I have Schizoeffecitve Disorder but I had one therapist that stopped seeing me because she didnt think I am sick but my problems were caused by a lack of sleep.

And therapy is great for that hour. Have a place to go and vent and talk about things. But what about the rest of the month? Does therapy keep me from hearing voices? Does it keep me from being depressed 85 percent of the time? Does it get rid of the trauma I faced in prison or the things I suffered as a kid?

1 hour with a disinterested person every 6 weeks really doesnt do much.

Therapy is great for those who can afford to get the good doctors, can see them more often, can open up to a person because they have been seeing them for years.

For the rest of us it is a band aid on a severed arm.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-15-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

One of the shows on a local NPR station was doing a series on mental health in the black community. A lot of it was about how to even get folks past the stigma of talking about it in the first place. Then the difficulty of connecting people to resources. Then dealing with cultural barriers and quality professionals...

Extraordinary Member

I've tried to explain to my knucklehead cousins numerous times that running the streets and picking fights with people is stupid. I've been dismissed as a "coward" because I didn't "stand up for myself" before, which usually means getting in shouting matches over dumb stuff. Now they're both locked up, I'm just grateful they're not dead.

Now that we're talking about black men and mental health, I remember that black female therapist who got canned for calling black men dusty mf's who needed to get themselves together and go to therapy already on tiktok, in addition to another black female therapist who said that she had a hard time seeing black men as human beings who deserve love and care because of the way they treat their partners. I mean, I know skinfolk ain't kinfolk but why they think negative reinforcement is going to get black men to go to therapy is beyond me.

Damn, I can only imagine the tainted therapy they provide to patients they deem worthy due to their unresolved self-hate.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Eh, the reddit hivemind started to turned on him long ago and has only gotten louder post twitter buy

Dudes backed by good ol trump lovers esque conservatives now, especially the younger ones.
    I liked Elon a lot better before he told on himself.

These goofs can never keep their masks on. They all want to stand up in court like Jack and shout YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!

(Did you order the code red? Did you mean the N word? Did you try to overturn the election?)
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I can't speak much to the disorder part but I agree that HAS to be a consideration.

On the Black male side of it though, 1- we can catch it twice the ways and means of anybody else. Shiit, I've got into it with mfks, through no fault of my own, at gas stations, luckily cooler heads prevail. It goes left everyday though. 2- I hate he left someone close to him to find him after. That's a scar that won't heal, I guess he had younger kids too? That's real hard man, then to that's the disorder part that might not could rationale or consider it.
    To your second point, he apparently did it in a hotel bathroom. He left his home (without his vehicle) and checked into a room the night prior. Still sad but at least his family didn't find him. The maid who did is probably still scarred, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    One of the shows on a local NPR station was doing a series on mental health in the black community. A lot of it was about how to even get folks past the stigma of talking about it in the first place. Then the difficulty of connecting people to resources. Then dealing with cultural barriers and quality professionals...
    In my very unqualified opinion... for people without "serious" mental health issues (i'm talking schizo, bipolar, "crazy" people for lack of a better word and brevity)

This "get therapy!" stuff for black folk is just a way for people to feel better about themselves and think they are "helping" when it is just again.. another band-aid to a systemic problem.

Hell, most depressions outside of the REALLY bad ones (where people don't get out of bed for days type of thing) is just because people are unhappy with their shitty lives and don't know how to fix it.

They are broke, overworked, don't like their spouse, don't like being a parent, had too many kids, hate their job, hate they got fat, jealous of their friends who "made it" etc.

And ain't no "talking about it" with some overpaid psychologist gonna fix any of that. It is a shitty, expensive band-aid.

Now take all that "normal" **** and add the systemic racial issues on top.

And this is just talking about "middle class" black people. Not the traumatized, poor, "grew up in the hood, saw my friends get shot" black people.

Most therapy that works is for people with money but without close friends who need to blow off some steam and can afford to pay someone 100 bucks to do it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    To your second point, he apparently did it in a hotel bathroom. He left his home (without his vehicle) and checked into a room the night prior. Still sad but at least his family didn't find him. The maid who did is probably still scarred, though.
    Its really heartless when these suicide people never leave notes or letters for their loved ones. At least absolve them of any fault so that they don't go the rest of their lives blaming themselves..... And giving a reason/s for giving up on life.

I mean no disrespect to any affected families or the dead by saying this.

Mighty Member

In my very unqualified opinion... for people without "serious" mental health issues (i'm talking schizo, bipolar, "crazy" people for lack of a better word and brevity)

This "get therapy!" stuff for black folk is just a way for people to feel better about themselves and think they are "helping" when it is just again.. another band-aid to a systemic problem.

Hell, most depressions outside of the REALLY bad ones (where people don't get out of bed for days type of thing) is just because people are unhappy with their shitty lives and don't know how to fix it.

They are broke, overworked, don't like their spouse, don't like being a parent, had too many kids, hate their job, hate they got fat, jealous of their friends who "made it" etc.

And ain't no "talking about it" with some overpaid psychologist gonna fix any of that. It is a shitty, expensive band-aid.

And this is just talking about "middle class" black people. Not the traumatized, poor, "grew up in the hood, saw my friends get shot" black people.

Most therapy that works is for people with money but without close friends who need to blow off some steam and can afford to pay someone 100 bucks to do it.
    "Talking about it" with someone you trust (even if its NOT a therapist) helps ease the pain.

And if its the right "trusted person" then he/she can help provide the right support, advise and help to practical see you through those issues.

Mighty Member

Agreed!!!!

The only reasons I can go to therapy are my health insurance and the flex hours at my job. I lucked out but I am painfully aware that everyone cannot do that. I think the only thing worse than the overselling of therapy is the overuse of therapy language. Some people have this incessant need to pathologize everyone and everything around them, they do not know what they're talking about but think they do because they read a few psych books. It's monday morning quarterbacking from people who think they're above watching sports.

A guy who buys a girl flowers or texts her after the first date? Lovebomber.

A guy who forgot to pick up the milk on the way home from work? Narcissist.

Can't decide on paint swatches for the kids bedroom? Abusive, gaslighting, time to get a divorce!

This is way too much.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 12-16-2022 at 10:42 AM.