Page 750 of 828 FirstFirst ... 250650700740746747748749750751752753754760800 ... LastLast
Results 11,236 to 11,250 of 12408
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    The woman doesn't even have white skin. It's not the color of snow. When I was a kid drawing and coloring, I used the peach and apricot labeled crayons for skin coloring of so-called white people unless I want them having skin like The Joker. I also didn't use the pink crayon for that color would look unnatural for skin coloring.
    Look at animation for Disney's version of Snow White. Her skin color is no way near the color of her collar which is white.
    The fact is that pale colored skin is referred to as white even though it's not actually white.

The man doesn't have black skin. It's brown. It's the color of chocolate.

Black and white races are social constructs that have no scientific basis any way. If these social constructs weren't created, there would not be any stupid arguments about people being black and white in regards to anything. Human beings are far too diverse to be pinned down to color names. There is a highly great amount of diversity in Africa alone. Africans have the greatest genetic variation. Africa is an extremely diverse continent with over 2,000 ethnic groups. That includes Nigeria with over 400 ethnic groups. These social constructs of races were created out of ignorance. I stopped believing in the social constructs of the black and white races over 7 years ago.

The social constructs of the black and white races and the one drop rule are of White Supremacist ideology which stems from ignorance of human genetics and evolution though. 2003 Human Genome Project reported that all us humans are 99.9% genetically similar to each other. There used to be a strong belief in polygenism which posits the view that the human races are of different origins (polygenesis). Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution challenged polygenism. Sub Saharan Africans were thought to have been a different species. They were thought of as being subhumans.

White or Caucasian was not always considered a unified race composed of anyone of European descent.

Whiteness was often considered exclusive to Anglo-Saxon descendants while other European groups were broken into different ethnic categories such as "Celt", "Slavs", "Iberics", and "Hebrews" which were considered separate races from the 1840s to the early 20th Century.

In the 1920s when there was a stemming migration from Europe, different races were subsumed into one category called "whiteness" to shore up a cultural majority against other racial groups and immigrants and this persisted throughout the 20th Century.

Race started as as a marker of kinship, but then we see it shift to become less about familial inheritance and more focused on physical indicators due to the rise of Enlightenment reasoning and labor exploitation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVxAlmAPHec&t=547s

I have been into Genetic Genealogy since 2011. The more I read up on genetics of human populations, the more I am convinced that the social constructs of the black and white races are outdated, racist, and stupid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3BIIIPlahw&t=413s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAWrwexw-To&t=671s

Africans have more genetic variation than anyone else on Earth.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/african...etic-variation

I never believed in the one drop rule which is outdated, racist, and stupid.

According to a 2015 research study, The Genetic Ancestry of African Americans, Latinos, and European Americans across the United States:

From 23andme database

African Americans show average proportions of 73.2% African, 24.0% European, and 0.8% Native American ancestry.

Latinos show average proportions of 65.1% European, 18.0% Native American, and 6.2% African ancestry

European Americans show average proportions of 98.6% European, 0.19% African, and 0.18% Native American ancestry

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25529636/

A little elaboration on history of the social constructs of race

Johann Friedrich Blumenbach divided the human species into five races in 1779, later founded on cranial research (description of human skulls), and called them
    the Caucasian race (Europe, the Caucasus, Asia Minor, North Africa and West Asia)
    the Mongolian race (East Asia, Central Asia and South Asia)
    the Aethiopian race (Sub-Saharan Africa)
    the American race (North America and South America)
    the Malayan race (Southeast Asia)
    These five groups saw some continuity in the various classification schemes of the 19th century, in some cases augmented, e.g. by the Australoid race and the Capoid race in some cases the Mongolian (East Asian) and American collapsed into a single group.

The "three great races" according to Meyers Konversations-Lexikon of 1885–90.
    The subtypes are:
    Mongoloid race
    Caucasoid race
    Negroid race

Dravidians and Sinhalese and their classification is described as uncertain
    The Mongoloid race sees the widest geographic distribution, including all of the Americas, North Asia, East Asia, and Southeast Asia, the entire inhabited Arctic while they form most of Central Asia and the Pacific Islands.
    Arthur de Gobineau was a successful diplomat for the Second French Empire. He came to believe that race created culture, arguing that distinctions between the three "black", "white", and "yellow" races were natural barriers, and that "race-mixing" breaks those barriers down and leads to chaos. He classified the populations of the Middle East, Central Asia, the Indian subcontinent, North Africa, and southern France as being racially mixed. Gobineau also believed that the white race was superior to all others. He thought it corresponded to the ancient Indo-European culture, also known as "Aryan".
    According to his definitions, the people of Spain, most of France, most of Germany, southern and western Iran as well as Switzerland, Austria, Northern Italy, and a large part of Britain, consisted of a degenerative race that arose from miscegenation. Also according to him, the whole population of North India consisted of a yellow race.

In 1939, Charles Coon published The Races of Europe, in which he concluded:
    The Caucasian race is of dual origin consisting of Upper Paleolithic (mixture of Homo sapiens and Neanderthals) types and Mediterranean (purely Homo sapiens) types.
    The Upper Paleolithic peoples are the truly indigenous peoples of Europe.
    Mediterraneans invaded Europe in large numbers during the Neolithic period and settled there.
    The racial situation in Europe today may be explained as a mixture of Upper Paleolithic survivors and Mediterraneans.
    When reduced Upper Paleolithic survivors and Mediterraneans mix, then occurs the process of dinarization, which produces a hybrid with non-intermediate features.
    The Caucasian race encompasses the regions of Europe, Central Asia, South Asia, the Near East, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa.
    The Nordic race is part of the Mediterranean racial stock, being a mixture of Corded and Danubian Mediterraneans.
    In 1962, Coon also published The Origin of Races, wherein he offered a definitive statement of the polygenist view. Coon divided humanity into five races and believed that each race had ascended the ladder of human evolution at different rates.
    Since Coon followed the traditional methods of physical anthropology, relying on morphological characteristics, and not on the emerging genetics to classify humans, the debate over Origin of Races has been "viewed as the last gasp of an outdated scientific methodology that was soon to be supplanted."

Charles Darwin concluded that the biological similarities between the different races were "too great" for the polygenist thesis to be plausible. He also used the idea of races to argue for the continuity between humans and animals, noting that it would be highly implausible that man should, by mere accident acquire characteristics shared by many apes.

In The Descent of Man, Darwin noted the great difficulty naturalists had in trying to decide how many "races" there actually were:
    Man has been studied more carefully than any other animal, and yet there is the greatest possible diversity amongst capable judges whether he should be classed as a single species or race, or as two (Virey), as three (Jacquinot), as four (Kant), five (Blumenbach), six (Buffon), seven (Hunter), eight (Agassiz), eleven (Pickering), fifteen (Bory St. Vincent), sixteen (Desmoulins), twenty-two (Morton), sixty (Crawfurd), or as sixty-three, according to Burke. This diversity of judgment does not prove that the races ought not to be ranked as species, but it shews that they graduate into each other, and that it is hardly possible to discover clear distinctive characters between them.

Charles Darwin's ideas have been discounted by people in his time period because he believed in Abolitionism.
    I believe that people that advocate and/or defend the social constructs of the races are part of the problem with racism.

The racial categories Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid are actually considered obsolete racial classification of human beings based on a now-disproven theory of biological race.
    Very elaborately done.

But what about the racial genetic markers which polygenists state?

I have heard supporters say...

Aren't these markers used by 23andme and ancestry.com to find someones geo-racial make-up?

And that is used to identify Badly burned but not to a crisp unidentifiable people and to provide partial identification (racially) of criminal suspects who leave dna at the scene of the crime.

They also say genetic similarity is not genetic equality and say that just less than 2% genetic difference can create a different species.

They also use variety of singular animals as examples like cats having lions, tigers, cheetahs, pumas, lynx, jaguars, etc

They try to equate sub-species as different races.
    Last edited by Besouro; 12-16-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Donald Glover to finally star in Spider-Man movie… about some guy called Hypno-Hustler?

https://www.avclub.com/donald-glover...man-1849907562

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Donald Glover to finally star in Spider-Man movie… about some guy called Hypno-Hustler?

https://www.avclub.com/donald-glover...man-1849907562
    Huh. You could have pulled out Rocket Racer, Solo, or Humbug and I would know who they were, but you got me with Hypno-Hustler.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Potential spoiler warning for spoilers:
    The Sex Lives of College Girls
    end of spoilers.

https://shailee.substack.com/p/mindy...=twitter&sd=pf

This above article criticizes the works of Mindy Kaling for a recurring pattern in which the black and brown female leads often end up with white guys who tend to start out as antagonistic.

This article has drawn a divisive reaction. Some agree with it, while others argue it is simply Kaling writing what appeals to her and that she shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of Asian representation when it comes to writing.

Some agree with it, while others argue it is simply Kaling writing what appeals to her and that she shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of Asian representation when it comes to writing.
    This.

This is a problem with a lot of "minority" projects.

People think every minority project has to represent everything at all times. Perfectly.

The goal of representation is getting enough minorities in places so you get an array of different stories with different plots and different characters that say different things.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This.

This is a problem with a lot of "minority" projects.

People think every minority project has to represent everything at all times. Perfectly.

The goal of representation is getting enough minorities in places so you get an array of different stories with different plots and different characters that say different things.
    Plus, it's Mindy Kaling. I was surprised there was more than one black character in the show, and that the black male character gets more than one love interest. Mindy usually pairs off as many people as she can with white guys, she can't help herself. Even in her Velma show, she's going to have a thing for Fred, which dashes the dreams of the queer scooby doo fans.

Ultimate Member

Potential spoiler warning for spoilers:
    The Sex Lives of College Girls
    end of spoilers.

https://shailee.substack.com/p/mindy...=twitter&sd=pf

This above article criticizes the works of Mindy Kaling for a recurring pattern in which the black and brown female leads often end up with white guys who tend to start out as antagonistic.

This article has drawn a divisive reaction. Some agree with it, while others argue it is simply Kaling writing what appeals to her and that she shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of Asian representation when it comes to writing.
    The thing that stuck out to me from that article is the fact the men are generally awful towards these women.

The race part is a more complicated discussion that everyone will have different opinions on. However, pairing off these characters problematic guys is quite weird.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Plus, it's Mindy Kaling. I was surprised there was more than one black character in the show, and that the black male character gets more than one love interest. Mindy usually pairs off as many people as she can with white guys, she can't help herself. Even in her Velma show, she's going to have a thing for Fred, which dashes the dreams of the queer scooby doo fans.
    I think there's another Scooby Doo cartoon coming out that where Velma has a crush on girl and I think the girl is supposed to be WOC?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Plus, it's Mindy Kaling. I was surprised there was more than one black character in the show, and that the black male character gets more than one love interest. Mindy usually pairs off as many people as she can with white guys, she can't help herself.
    ^This. ALSO her decision, that's what she knows, that's what works for her... marginal, Hip-Hop adjacent level of success she's achieved. Still, this. Two things can be true.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    ^This. ALSO her decision, that's what she knows, that's what works for her... marginal, Hip-Hop adjacent level of success she's achieved. Still, this. Two things can be true.
    The thing is folks want to cherry pick that rage.

When it's homegirl from Scandal doing it. We get it's HER show and she can do that.

When it's Megan Markle or Simone Biles with non black guys-it's praised. Simone is now engaged to black guy and they have been SILENT on that.

When it's New York Knick players posing with their wives or GF for Christmas-it's an ISSUE when some are not black and the white guy is the one with the black woman.

We won't talk Michael B Jordan.

When it's anyone else-they have an obligation to races.

Too much cherry picking and not letting folks be happy with who they choose.

Just had a patient of mine. Young black "kid" (hes 21 lol), has a real full time job, which he didn't seem very book smart so it was a pretty decent job at 21 really. Nice as can be. He had actual hobbies, he had family out of town he'd visit.

He missed a few appointments which was weird.

Saw on the news he shot and killed some chick.

1st degree murder charge, dudes life is done. Over nothing.

I've had a handful of patients go to prison for things (including one crazy white chick who tried to hire a hitman lol) but for some reason, this one bothers me.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Just had a patient of mine. Young black "kid" (hes 21 lol), has a real full time job, which he didn't seem very book smart so it was a pretty decent job at 21 really. Nice as can be. He had actual hobbies, he had family out of town he'd visit.

I've had a handful of patients go to prison for things (including one crazy white chick who tried to hire a hitman lol) but for some reason, this one bothers me.
    It's not "some reason." You were mentoring this guy. It feels good to feel like you're having a positive effect on someone's life. When they do **** like this it makes you question your effectiveness. It's not your fault. People like this are very good at disguising their true natures. I think psychologists call it "the mask of sanity."
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It's not "some reason." You were mentoring this guy. It feels good to feel like you're having a positive effect on someone's life. When they do **** like this it makes you question your effectiveness. It's not your fault. People like this are very good at disguising their true natures. I think psychologists call it "the mask of sanity."
    Obviously the longer I practice, the more of these type of things I will have. Just the nature of longevity.

But damn, when it is black folk... I just feel extra bad and like... disappointed.

Had another black chick this year, 30 year old mother, who got shot (wasn't the target) in the stomach. At a liquor store. At like 12 midnight.

You work for the state... I know you make at least ok money. You have kids. Why the F are you at a liquor store that late during one of the biggest "parties" of the year that is notorious for a spike in crime during it. Like, come on girl.

I don't seem to have that sort of reaction when non-blacks get in trouble. Its just a "you idiot" and shrug. But with black folk, who seemingly made it "out"... its low key depressing for a bit.

I'm very sorry to hear that. What are the success stories?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear that. What are the success stories?
    I'm not in mental health or whatever, 80% of my people are "success" stories.

You just get to know people who come in often just due to conversation