Page 752 of 828 FirstFirst ... 252652702742748749750751752753754755756762802 ... LastLast
Results 11,266 to 11,280 of 12411

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    DeSantis’ apparent racism was an issue in his first gubernatorial election which probably explains why he barely won that election (why Florida democrats brought back an ex-Republican governor of the state to run against him the second time something I will never understand).
    Because he was too popular, they punted. It would have been a waste of money.

But, unfortunately, the Dem punted completely to the point that at the state level, the GOP have a super majority. Which F'ing sucks. Dems are absolutely garbage at smaller, local level elections.

Covid was a boon for Desantis. And, living here... he was "fine" with Covid stuff IMHO until he went hard the other way to win national votes/attention. It wasn't until the anti-vax stuff started hardcore did he shift gears to win more national votes (and even then, the vaccine was super readily available down here). He talks and rants more than he actually "does."

But yeah... the amount of very right people that moved down here due to covid shifted the state big time.

he is 100% going to win the national election if trump stays out of his way. Biden is so GD senile, i shudder to think what he will be like in 2 more years. And absolutely no one likes Kamala and I can't even think of one "up and coming" Dem that can compete right now.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

But, unfortunately, the Dem punted completely to the point that at the state level, the GOP have a super majority. Which F'ing sucks. Dems are absolutely garbage at smaller, local level elections.

Covid was a boon for Desantis. And, living here... he was "fine" with Covid stuff IMHO until he went hard the other way to win national votes/attention. It wasn't until the anti-vax stuff started hardcore did he shift gears to win more national votes (and even then, the vaccine was super readily available down here). He talks and rants more than he actually "does."

But yeah... the amount of very right people that moved down here due to covid shifted the state big time.

he is 100% going to win the national election if trump stays out of his way. Biden is so GD senile, i shudder to think what he will be like in 2 more years. And absolutely no one likes Kamala and I can't even think of one "up and coming" Dem that can compete right now.
    In a strange, roundabout way, I almost feel bad for Kamala Harris. She clearly does not know what she is doing, but is too prideful to admit it. Biden hung her out to dry a short time after getting into office. I knew that she was going to be the VP pick because it was the most cynical thing Joe Biden could do in a campaign that was a cocktail of cynicism, nostalgia, and fear. It is downright painful watching her in action. Then I remember she built her career off of throwing black men in prison, so I don't feel that bad.

Other than her and Store Brand Obamas like Cory Booker and Mayor Pete (they're more Great Value, I'd like a Kirkland brand Obama at least), I can't think of anyone else either.

Ultimate Member

The democrats in Florida (and Texas) have completely fumbled the bag.

It's insane because the cosmopolitan areas in Florida and Texas are very diverse (I believe that Houston is majority-minority city now) and those states shouldn't be as right-wing as they are particularly in state elections.

Honestly, both states need to follow the example of Arizona and Georgia where the democrats have FULLY taken advantage of changing demographics. The flow of right-wingers into Florida as you mentioned will obviously be very difficult to counter that's why an organized ground game is very important in those states.

Regarding the Presidential elections, DeSantis is a very strong candidate but the GOP has in the last 7 years or so alienated a lot of people with their general hatred. Outside of Florida (and Ohio), they seem to have lost a little bit of a hold in states they previously had because of the extremism. Basically, the GOP constantly blow themselves up when they should get power and that's what the democrats have relied upon for a while now.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-19-2023 at 03:27 PM.

It's insane because the cosmopolitan areas in Florida and Texas are very diverse (I believe that Houston is majority-minority city now) and those states shouldn't be as right-wing as they are particularly in state elections.

Honestly, both states need to follow the example of Arizona and Georgia where the democrats have FULLY taken advantage of changing demographics. The flow of right-wingers into Florida as you mentioned will obviously be very difficult to counter that's why an organized ground game is very important in those states.

Regarding the Presidential elections, DeSantis is a very strong candidate but the GOP has in the last 7 years or so alienated a lot of people with their general hatred. Outside of Florida (and Ohio), they seem to have lost a little bit of a hold in states they previously had because of the extremism. Basically, the GOP constantly blow themselves up when they should get power and that's what the democrats have relied upon for a while now.
    I've not met a single GOP person who doesn't like DeSantis though. This dude seems loved. He is just enough Trump-ish and just enough "I can actually make complete sentences and am not half stupid" that is hits all the boxes. And because he isn't full on crazy, I don't know if the young people will actually be motivated to show up and vote against him like they did Trump.

I will say though, this dude on stage will look a bit weak. His presence is... not there at all. Gen Pop don't realize this because he has been on a stage by himself for years now. But there is a reason a random black guy and his election were so damn close in his first term.

I am in one of the most liberal places in Florida and everyone here despises the dude but it is kinda moot... as long as the GOP has the cuban/latino vote in south florida, Dem's can't win here.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

The issue for Texas are the outer cities and rural areas.

Biden won 11 of the 20 top populated counties in Texas. 3 could have went to Biden if more folks voted.

Biden won 1 of the 20 lowest populated counties. 10,226 votes for Trump to for 1,741 Biden

In almost all the elections-they are sound beatdowns for either party in certain areas.

Only in 3 elections last year did the loser in those races for the US House got 40%. The rest 37%-18%.

As for governor-this was the best showing for Democrats since 1990 but people still needed to show up and vote. And when Abbot won Uvalde-I think that just irk way too many folks.

The difference in Florida is that having a more diverse population doesn’t automatically mean that they will be more liberal. Cuban-Americans, who populated these areas, are some of the staunchest conservatives around.

Their grandparents where the people wealthy enough to escape when Castro took over and they’ve been told anything remotely left leaning will lead to communism.

The Mindy Kaling Backlash Has Lost All Nuance

When a young brown girl appears onscreen in one of Kaling’s shows, it’s easy enough to guess where her story is going. She will probably be a loud-mouthed nerd with strict parents and insecurities about her body hair, fixated on a white dude who is little more than rude to her. She will probably not question the rigid social hierarchy she’s inherited; in fact, she’s probably going to enact it, cruelly, on herself and others. Viewers are bored with the artistic laziness of these plotlines — both in their repetitiveness and their reliance on outdated stereotypes. It’s certainly a sign that Kaling’s comedy has gotten stale, and that her politics have fallen behind the times. But it’s also clearly a symptom of the fact that there are few Indian women of Kaling’s stature and renown making TV today. There aren’t enough other stories about young Indian girls to offset or complicate the narratives Kaling has chosen to retread again and again.
    This highly justified frustration has manifested as personal vitriol directed at Kaling because it’s easier that way. “Mindy Kaling” is a perfectly packaged trending topic that people can engage with. She's a woman in comedy who has historically been criticized for her weight, her voice, and her darker skin; we've found new ways to target her, but she's still a public figure we love to hate. She’s so much like her characters that we believe their faults are her faults. The now-popular refrain, “Mindy Kaling, just because you are an Indian loser, does not mean Indians are losers!” takes the frustration with her overdone caricature and makes it seem like Kaling is portraying all Indian women as self-hating freaks. But she’s not. She’s just portraying herself, stylized as a self-hating freak, over and over again. And it’s boring. But her work is only a lightning rod for online anger because it looms so large above other Indian American media. It’s a small sliver of possible stories that’s been amplified by Kaling’s peerless fame. She ought to have more peers disrupting her monopoly, but the robust and necessary criticism of her work ought to hold more water than the gleeful revelry in her personal demise.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...er-have-i-ever

The Tyre Nichols case man, Tyre Nichols' family responds after viewing "horrific" police footage of fatal arrest.5 Memphis police officers confronted him over a traffic stop and he later died by severe injuries.

There really are too, TOO many of these instances cause I didn't fully grasp all the particulars at first hear about it. What sucks is out of the gate the fact that they were Black- all of them I found myself twisting a narrative as to what this man 'could' have done. this was IN MEMPHIS AFTERALL, it is one of the tougher parts of the country. I was like tell me he was Scarface out in these streets, tell me dude was out here making hits in the street. Tell me anything short of what really occurred- that he was coming home from his shift at FedEx. Not that those instances would justify him catching the beating he did but maybe, a fuckin' crumb of 'law enforcement' was involved. No crumb, these 4 city guns restrained that man, pepper sprayed him, shocked him and beat that man for 3 minutes and it took that poor brotha 3 days to die in the hospital.

Not only have ALL 5 have been fired but two members of the fucking Memphis Fire Department have been fired too! Boi, the wheels of fuckin' justice has access to the same Speed Force as Barry Allen and every other DC speedster when it wants too. Federal, State and Local investigations have begun. If these 5 are white, whole or in part they'd have bought themselves 6 months of thoughts and prayers.

The five officers involved in the incident –
    Tadarrius Bean,
    Demetrius Haley,
    Emmitt Martin III,
    Desmond Mills Jr.,
    and Justin Smith
    - were all terminated on January 20 after the MPD concluded their investigation. God Damn all of them.

One thing that, for me personally that came out of George Floyd's murder was that I began to understand and become more empathetic towards Black law enforcement. They have to manage not only the job but the often corrupt structure of law enforcement AND the racist assholes. Rosalind Cash was an actor who has since passed and worked in the late 1960's through the 90's. She said in a Black Hollywood documentary that she didn't grow up 'wanting' to be an actor, she felt she had to as the depictions of African Americans when she was coming up never was a positive and often the opposite. That's a sentiment that I feel some Black Law enforcement deal with. A stop gap between the bullshit is so needed. I feel that.

As far as these offices being Black... When this happens, whole or in part due to White officers involvement, it is so terribly unfair and unfortunate but at the same time there is a systematic level to it that makes accountability nearly out of reach. With these assholes here though, that accountability is not so out of reach anymore and it's is going to come. It's going to come from the streets and in ways from normally level headed people. It's coming heavy and harsh, send your kids out of state harsh. Change your name harsh, 'Momma I'm so sorry but you and Pops gotta leave your home' harsh. These officers and their 'Scorpion Unit' have made things exponentially bad for not just their fellow officers but officers of color in the worst way. There ain't a union that's going to shield these guys nor a FOX news to slant the story. For the rest of their lives it's gonna be an 'Us v Them' and that's before they get charged and sentenced. It they weren't so deserving I'd almost feel bad for them.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The Tyre Nichols case man, Tyre Nichols' family responds after viewing "horrific" police footage of fatal arrest.5 Memphis police officers confronted him over a traffic stop and he later died by severe injuries.

There really are too, TOO many of these instances cause I didn't fully grasp all the particulars at first hear about it. What sucks is out of the gate the fact that they were Black- all of them I found myself twisting a narrative as to what this man 'could' have done. this was IN MEMPHIS AFTERALL, it is one of the tougher parts of the country. I was like tell me he was Scarface out in these streets, tell me dude was out here making hits in the street. Tell me anything short of what really occurred- that he was coming home from his shift at FedEx. Not that those instances would justify him catching the beating he did but maybe, a fuckin' crumb of 'law enforcement' was involved. No crumb, these 4 city guns restrained that man, pepper sprayed him, shocked him and beat that man for 3 minutes and it took that poor brotha 3 days to die in the hospital.

Not only have ALL 5 have been fired but two members of the fucking Memphis Fire Department have been fired too! Boi, the wheels of fuckin' justice has access to the same Speed Force as Barry Allen and every other DC speedster when it wants too. Federal, State and Local investigations have begun. If these 5 are white, whole or in part they'd have bought themselves 6 months of thoughts and prayers.

The five officers involved in the incident –
    Tadarrius Bean,
    Demetrius Haley,
    Emmitt Martin III,
    Desmond Mills Jr.,
    and Justin Smith
    - were all terminated on January 20 after the MPD concluded their investigation. God Damn all of them.

One thing that, for me personally that came out of George Floyd's murder was that I began to understand and become more empathetic towards Black law enforcement. They have to manage not only the job but the often corrupt structure of law enforcement AND the racist assholes. Rosalind Cash was an actor who has since passed and worked in the late 1960's through the 90's. She said in a Black Hollywood documentary that she didn't grow up 'wanting' to be an actor, she felt she had to as the depictions of African Americans when she was coming up never was a positive and often the opposite. That's a sentiment that I feel some Black Law enforcement deal with. A stop gap between the bullshit is so needed. I feel that.

As far as these offices being Black... When this happens, whole or in part due to White officers involvement, it is so terribly unfair and unfortunate but at the same time there is a systematic level to it that makes accountability nearly out of reach. With these assholes here though, that accountability is not so out of reach anymore and it's is going to come. It's going to come from the streets and in ways from normally level headed people. It's coming heavy and harsh, send your kids out of state harsh. Change your name harsh, 'Momma I'm so sorry but you and Pops gotta leave your home' harsh. These officers and their 'Scorpion Unit' have made things exponentially bad for not just their fellow officers but officers of color in the worst way. There ain't a union that's going to shield these guys nor a FOX news to slant the story. For the rest of their lives it's gonna be an 'Us v Them' and that's before they get charged and sentenced. It they weren't so deserving I'd almost feel bad for them.

Wow, this is so sad.

I'm surprised they even fired the officers, the US police basically act like they're above the law they're enforcing.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-26-2023 at 06:45 AM.

Wow, this is so sad.

I'm surprised they even fired the officers, they US police basically act like they're above the law they're enforcing.
    Officers were black.

Plus the case is so bad, Memphis is trying to get ahead of it to stop the city from being burned down.

They haven't even tried to justify it, that is how bad it was.

Ultimate Member

Officers were black.

Plus the case is so bad, Memphis is trying to get ahead of it to stop the city from being burned down.

They haven't even tried to justify it, that is how bad it was.
    I guess that's why they got dealt with so fast. I mean, the pic of him on his bed was so terrible.

And all for what, a traffic stop??

Unfortunately, the issue of police brutality has been turned solely into a racial issue (yes, it affects minorities disproportionately) but a power-crazy, overly brutal police force affects society as a whole.

I guess that's why they got dealt with so fast. I mean, the pic of him on his bed was so terrible.

And all for what, a traffic stop??

Unfortunately, the issue of police brutality has been turned solely into a racial issue (yes, it affects minorities disproportionately) but a power-crazy, overly brutal police force affects society as a whole.
    The boot licking defense force only comes out for white cops.

Similar to how the NRA only cares about white gun owners.

Blue Wall works difference if you are black.

Ultimate Member

https://www.channel4.com/news/how-uk...reas-of-the-uk

Some Ukrainian refugees are struggling with "too much" diversity in the British population.

Too many black and minorities for some of them. LOL. God knows what racist nonsense a lot of these countries attach themselves to.

White supremacy is not unfortunately an American construct. And no, coming from a different culture doesn't excuse anyone's racism.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-26-2023 at 09:30 PM.

The boot licking defense force only comes out for white cops.

Similar to how the NRA only cares about white gun owners.

Blue Wall works difference if you are black.
    The lonliest Blue Lives Matter turnout ever. Those guys didnt train themselves, I feel for those residence.

Even Biden had to make a statement.

We also cannot ignore the fact that fatal encounters with law enforcement have disparately impacted Black and Brown people.
    Which is about the harshest reality of the situation ever offered by a sitting president. Couldn't duck it otherwise and I'm not naive enough to think effort was not there to try.

Other thing is, bodycams. Only been in use what, 5 years, a lot of the improper actions are still caught by bystandards. I feel the majority of the cases where the cams are used in court don't exonerate very many of the tax funded City Guns at all.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

https://www.channel4.com/news/how-uk...reas-of-the-uk

Some Ukrainian refugees are struggling with "too much" diversity in the British population.

Too many black and minorities for some of them. LOL. God knows what racist nonsense a lot of these countries attach themselves to.

White supremacy is not unfortunately an American construct. And no, coming from a different culture doesn't excuse anyone's racism.
    Europe (and other countries) have a different racism than America.

Or they are so mono culture (hello nordic countries) that say we are "not racist" because there ain't no minorities there period.

It ain't better over there, it is just different. Which is why when euros online act like american is the worst, it is just nausea inducing.