Page 754 of 824 FirstFirst ... 254654704744750751752753754755756757758764804 ... LastLast
Results 11,296 to 11,310 of 12353

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I literally just read something about this on Twitter. I'm not all that shocked though. Conservative pundits and some grifters have been going after Marvel for some rather innocuous material for the last several years now. A hot potato issue like gun violence and police brutality would surely attract attention from Fox News and the like. I can imagine management at Marvel deciding they didn't want to take the heat for this one.
    Which is stupid because those types don't care. They'll still talk about how "woke" Marvel/Disney is and rail against any sort of diversity/inclusion push, no matter how small. In fact, for all their complaints about "cancel culture" and "being silenced, they'll likely approve of this and use mental gymnastics to say why this being canned is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I literally just read something about this on Twitter. I'm not all that shocked though. Conservative pundits and some grifters have been going after Marvel for some rather innocuous material for the last several years now. A hot potato issue like gun violence and police brutality would surely attract attention from Fox News and the like. I can imagine management at Marvel deciding they didn't want to take the heat for this one.
    In my head, this goes to show that there right wing nuts inside Marvel that agrees with them more than anything.

comics are straight up a dying industry. Why wouldn't you take FREE PUBLICITY from Fox and Twitter and whatnot? It isn't like these nut jobs are buying comics anyway.

The would have been the best selling Luke Cage mini series ever lol.

It isn't that Marvel is afraid of right wing nutjobs... it is that the right wing nutjobs are inside they house. THEY were offended by it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

According to the writer, his miniseries drew inspiration from police brutality and George Floyd, a Black man murdered by a white police officer in May 2020, with the title's premise being "what would happen if the mother of George Floyd hired Luke Cage to protect Derek Chauvin, her son's murderer?" Anderson shared his own assumptions for why else Marvel axed City of Fire, guessing higher executives might have said, "No, this is going to affect our bottom line." He added that the book would have come out after Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges raised against him for killing two people and wounding a third with an AR-15-like rifle, which happened in Aug. 2020 during the protests that followed George Floyd's death.
    https://www.cbr.com/indie-spotlight-...son-interview/

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-canceled-...wing-backlash/

Now, this is just a shorthand description of the premise and doesn't paint a full picture of how the story would play out. But I don't think it would be the extreme right-wingers that would be upset about a story idea like this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Which is stupid because those types don't care. They'll still talk about how "woke" Marvel/Disney is and rail against any sort of diversity/inclusion push, no matter how small. In fact, for all their complaints about "cancel culture" and "being silenced, they'll likely approve of this and use mental gymnastics to say why this being canned is a good thing.
    To the extent that any of the grifters even mention it, I'm sure they'll frame it as, "Finally someone is standing up against the woke agenda!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    In my head, this goes to show that there right wing nuts inside Marvel that agrees with them more than anything.

comics are straight up a dying industry. Why wouldn't you take FREE PUBLICITY from Fox and Twitter and whatnot? It isn't like these nut jobs are buying comics anyway.

It isn't that Marvel is afraid of right wing nutjobs... it is that the right wing nutjobs are inside they house. THEY were offended by it.
    We're all familiar with Ike Pearlman, I'm sure he's not the only one over there that thinks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Again, I am not entirely sure how or when this happened, (I want to say 2016, but that feels too easy), but media consumption (by itself) has become a form of political activism, personally I blame breadtube/video essayists for this. Not one, but two generations of young people have been tricked into thinking that watching cartoons that the other side doesn't like is going to somehow destroy capitalism or communism don't ask how or you'll be directed to watch a bunch of two hour youtube videos that will mess up your algorithm, both sides of the culture war honestly believe that they're one victory away from winning the culture war forever, except there is no way to win because the culture is always shifting.

This constant fighting over multibillion dollar media franchises owned by corporations that only care about money is completely unhinged.

"Watch Obi-Wan so we can support a strong black female character in Reva!" The character that gets beaten by an out of shape Obi-Wan Kenobi and is humiliated by Darth Vader with her own lightsaber.

"The M-SHE-U is gaining too much traction, we have to stop it!" How? Hate-watching is still watching. I only think people are sticking with the MCU is out of habit and they're just wafting for the X-Men to show up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/indie-spotlight-...son-interview/

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-canceled-...wing-backlash/

Now, this is just a shorthand description of the premise and doesn't paint a full picture of how the story would play out. But I don't think it would be the extreme right-wingers that would be upset about a story idea like this.
    That wouldn't stop some people from misrepresenting the story though. There have folks out there suggesting that the Coates Capt America had Steve renounce the American Dream, that there's going to be a new Capt and he's a skinny gay kid, that the Spencer Sam/Cap is against border security ( leaving out the fact that Sons of Serpent were kidnapping migrants and selling them to a scientist).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Again, I am not entirely sure how or when this happened, (I want to say 2016, but that feels too easy), but media consumption (by itself) has become a form of political activism, personally I blame breadtube/video essayists for this. Not one, but two generations of young people have been tricked into thinking that watching cartoons that the other side doesn't like is going to somehow destroy capitalism or communism don't ask how or you'll be directed to watch a bunch of two hour youtube videos that will mess up your algorithm, both sides of the culture war honestly believe that they're one victory away from winning the culture war forever, except there is no way to win because the culture is always shifting.

This constant fighting over multibillion dollar media franchises owned by corporations that only care about money is completely unhinged.

"Watch Obi-Wan so we can support a strong black female character in Reva!" The character that gets beaten by an out of shape Obi-Wan Kenobi and is humiliated by Darth Vader with her own lightsaber.

"The M-SHE-U is gaining too much traction, we have to stop it!" How? Hate-watching is still watching. I only think people are sticking with the MCU is out of habit and they're just wafting for the X-Men to show up.
    I mostly agree, but I wouldn't put too much of it on Breadtube...the average person probably doesn't know what that means. Heck, I've seen political Youtubers be confused about so-called Breadtube. I do think that the internet has made it really easy to monetize outrage. Some of the right wing guys are clearly faking it, and the so-called left will stick to a small number of topics they know will get them clicks.

Ultimate Member

This echoes my thoughts.

Marvel isn't some "woke corporation" despite what folks on the internet say.

The creative types are generally progressive but I haven't seen anything to suggest the guys behind the scenes are folks at all. Marvel could as well as put this out as a graphic novel or delayed it rather than cancel it entirely.

At the end of the day, these businesses do what they do to make the most money. Ultimately these companies are trying to expand their audience via greater diversity to as many people as possible, it's not really about making a "political statement".

Ultimate Member

That just proves Marvel has NOT been paying attention.

See Gender Queer.

How much money has Fox and those guys have made for that book?

Including trying to get folks arrested for having it.

NUMBER ONE on Amazon.

How much of Ms Marvel's success has come because of those trolls propping it up as an attack on them? Or Cap Marvel?

And if Marvel was this scared....

Explain the last 8 years of Black Panther.

In fact explain why Wakanda would rather toss T'CHalla and stand with Namor-who KILLED many of them.

Wakanda hired their killer to protect them and got in the way of T'Challa seeking justice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That just proves Marvel has NOT been paying attention.

See Gender Queer.

How much money has Fox and those guys have made for that book?

Including trying to get folks arrested for having it.

NUMBER ONE on Amazon.

How much of Ms Marvel's success has come because of those trolls propping it up as an attack on them? Or Cap Marvel?

And if Marvel was this scared....

Explain the last 8 years of Black Panther.

In fact explain why Wakanda would rather toss T'CHalla and stand with Namor-who KILLED many of them.

Wakanda hired their killer to protect them and got in the way of T'Challa seeking justice.
    It’s interesting because a lot of right wingers are crying about Gender-Queer but looking at Amazon charts, I regularly see LGBT themed books amongst the highest selling.

The right-wing outrage crowd don’t really patronize all this stuff (that’s why you’ll see a total weirdo like Matt Walsh call anime “demonic”). All their performative nonsense does is attract people to what they are attacking (like Gender-Queer).

Seriously, the outrage over stuff like Velma and The Rings of Power probably helped boost their engagement.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-06-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s interesting because a lot of right wingers are crying about Gender-Queer but looking at Amazon charts, I regularly see LGBT themed books amongst the highest selling.

The right-wing outrage crowd don’t really patronize all this stuff (that’s why you’ll see a total weirdo like Matt Walsh call anime “demonic”). All their performative nonsense does is attract people to what they are attacking (like Gender-Queer).

Seriously, the outrage over stuff like Velma and The Rings of Power probably helped boost their engagement.
    Velma might have already been approved for a second season, hate watching is still watching.

Something that's both frustrating and fascinating to me is the intersection of the culture war video games are stuck in. They've been around since the 70's, but people talk about them like it's still the 90s.

"Video games are EVIL and a waste of time, (unless you're doing esports) they make boys into violent incels, why are there no games about kindness and cooperation and planting flowers?"

Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley exist, and there are total a-holes who play them. Just like the total sweethearts who play Doom & Doom Eternal. It really isn't about the game so much as the person who plays it.

Why does everything need to become a side hustle, why can no one do anything just because they enjoy it?

Ultimate Member

Velma might have already been approved for a second season, hate watching is still watching.

Something that's both frustrating and fascinating to me is the intersection of the culture war video games are stuck in. They've been around since the 70's, but people talk about them like it's still the 90s.

"Video games are EVIL and a waste of time, (unless you're doing esports) they make boys into violent incels, why are there no games about kindness and cooperation and planting flowers?"

Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley exist, and there are total a-holes who play them. Just like the total sweethearts who play Doom & Doom Eternal. It really isn't about the game so much as the person who plays it.

Why does everything need to become a side hustle, why can no one do anything just because they enjoy it?
    Like almost everything in the West, the "culture war" has become a for-profit venture, and no areas are left untouched.

In Velma's case, it was apparently it was always getting a second season, regardless of the reception or numbers.

https://twitter.com/animatedminus/st...19430621302784

The success of Hogwarts Legacy just once again proves (among other things) the social media outrage/activism is a whole lot of nothing.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html