Page 757 of 828 FirstFirst ... 257657707747753754755756757758759760761767807 ... LastLast
Results 11,341 to 11,355 of 12407

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Basically yeah

this person went on GD tv and couldn't define it.

Now think of all the F250 driving white dudes and their wives trying.

TBH, I don't even know where the woke obsession has even come from. I thought "woke" was like... popular 4 years ago or something. It is just bizarre. It is like CRT wasn't sound bitey enough so they just replaced it with "woke" or something.
    It comes from a multitude of things, we all spent 2 years coop-ed up in our houses and spending way too time on social media, where groupthink reigns supreme. That and a lot of people's politics comes from a place of empty contrarianism. Ever notice that these "free thinkers" always tend to have the exact same thoughts? They're usually the exact opposite of whatever's in the cultural zeitgeist with some garden variety bigotry thrown in. People talked about Elon buying twitter like it was the fall of Rome, there was a journalist who "boycotted" twitter by going to a place that is much better for mental health, instagram, she didn't even last a month.

"Maybe cops shouldn't beat/kill black people."

"F**** YOU, YOU STUPID LIBERAL COMMIE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST BURN DOWN MORE CITIES!"

Most of the BLM protests were peaceful, but peaceful protests aren't sexy, so that didn't get spread around.

Like, if during the pandemic, if Fauci recommended people get a little exercise and eat an orange everyday, the right wingers would hoard orange juice and sit on their couches out of sheer defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That and a lot of people's politics comes from a place of empty contrarianism. Ever notice that these "free thinkers" always tend to have the exact same thoughts? They're usually the exact opposite of whatever's in the cultural zeitgeist with some garden variety bigotry thrown in.
    LOL

Free thinker things kill me

Just dudes reposting george carlin videos + i like weed + get all information from memes about all government sucks and is the same (but im gonna vote GOP)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

RIP Lance Reddick.

He was just 60. That guy never, ever phoned in a performance.

Gone too soon.

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/news/star-wars-...200145150.html

Some "Star Wars" fans' animosity toward recently introduced characters in the franchise may be driven by racist and sexist attitudes, a recent study suggests.

The study, “Sexism and Racism Negatively Predict Preference for Diverse Characters in Star Wars Fans,“ published in Psychology of Popular Media looked into the role of prejudice in the backlash against characters like Finn, played by John Boyega, and Rose Tico, played by Kelly Marie Tran, who are Black and Vietnamese, respectively.

Tran scrubbed her social media and underwent therapy after facing heavy vitriol from toxic fans online.

The researchers found that hostile sexism and symbolic racism were associated with a greater dislike of these newer characters. They also found a negative association with the character Leia Organa, played by the late Carrie Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    LOL

Free thinker things kill me

Just dudes reposting george carlin videos + i like weed + get all information from memes about all government sucks and is the same (but im gonna vote GOP)
    They love Joe Rogan, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, man do they love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and fighting The Matrix, I almost wish they would watch another movie. They hate trans people, but take all their cues from a movie that was a metaphor for the trans experience written by two trans women.

I feel bad for John and Kelly, bad for John because he had to deal with garbage from fans and having his love of star wars get pissed on by Disney, and they hung Kelly out to dry.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 03-17-2023 at 05:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Boyega getting attacked early on was news even back then. Of course, part of the thing that I think some Hollywood types don’t want to analyze is where industry prejudices and biases eventually screwed over most of the POC actors in TLJ, as well as the women; saying that both early racists overreacting at TFA and then Rian Johnson making TLJ viewed Boyega as stealing a white dude’s spot exposes some issues with the indistry’s worship of TLJ. Similarly, Tran was screwed from the word go because the character of Rose was basically designed to be a tool against Finn and little else; she was going to be exposed to the same vitriol Boyega had, but wouldn’t even benefit from the support Boyega got in the script and story of TFA.

And of course, both got no support from Disney, who couldn’t roll out defenders of Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren fast enough.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

They love Joe Rogan, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, man do they love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and fighting The Matrix, I almost wish they would watch another movie. They hate trans people, but take all their cues from a movie that was a metaphor for the trans experience written by two trans women.

I feel bad for John and Kelly, bad for John because he had to deal with garbage from fans and having his love of star wars get pissed on by Disney, and they hung Kelly out to dry.
    Am I being presumptuous in assuming most of those guys don't practice MMA themselves and real MMA fighters would be disgusted by them?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Did they really need a study for this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did they really need a study for this?
    Depends on how others use the information.

For instance, a stereotype about nerd culture is that the major fandoms are made up of racist and sexist man-children, and that stereotype has sometimes been used to excuse the underperformance of some stories or characters by blaming it on the audience being racist or sexist… which can just as often lead to racists or sexists in the industry cloaking their actions and sabotage as being determined by the audience rather than themselves.

But the fact of the matter is that the Disney Era of Star Wars has actually shown that the films that over-performed or met financial hopes and expectations have been the ones focusing on POC and women as the main characters, while the ones that underperformed are the ones that either outright replaced a POC or female lead with a white guy, or started with a white guy instead.

The Mandalorian, Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and Andor all had non-white dude protagonists. Solo, meanwhile, is the only box office bomb, and The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker (where Kylo replaced Finn and effectively Rey as well) underperformed and divided the audience.

But while I’d argue that Boyega being attacked before TFA came out and then wrecked the box office as hard as it did, and thus would suggest that the racism was “outside” the fandom and audience, I can easily see someone who wants to defend TLJ (the very film that started out trying to humiliate and remove Finn from the male lead role) instead focusing on the racist backlash against Rose and the sexist backlash against Holdo to try arguing that “only” racists and sexists hated TLJ, and “only” because it was “progressive”… while they’re, y’know, defending a film that enforced racism and sexism.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Invincible Member

It comes from a multitude of things, we all spent 2 years coop-ed up in our houses and spending way too time on social media, where groupthink reigns supreme. That and a lot of people's politics comes from a place of empty contrarianism. Ever notice that these "free thinkers" always tend to have the exact same thoughts? They're usually the exact opposite of whatever's in the cultural zeitgeist with some garden variety bigotry thrown in. People talked about Elon buying twitter like it was the fall of Rome, there was a journalist who "boycotted" twitter by going to a place that is much better for mental health, instagram, she didn't even last a month.

"Maybe cops shouldn't beat/kill black people."

"F**** YOU, YOU STUPID LIBERAL COMMIE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST BURN DOWN MORE CITIES!"

Most of the BLM protests were peaceful, but peaceful protests aren't sexy, so that didn't get spread around.

Like, if during the pandemic, if Fauci recommended people get a little exercise and eat an orange everyday, the right wingers would hoard orange juice and sit on their couches out of sheer defiance.
    People in France have been protesting and fighting cops for three days straight over their pensions and yet there's been none of the pearl clutching about the end of civilization that we heard a couple of years ago over BLM. Makes you wonder ( actually not though)...

https://www.theroot.com/omg-ruby-bri...ren-1850269836

Shameful: ‘Ruby Bridges’ Film Banned From School Because White Parents Feeling Some Kind of Way

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.theroot.com/omg-ruby-bri...ren-1850269836

Shameful: ‘Ruby Bridges’ Film Banned From School Because White Parents Feeling Some Kind of Way
    It's crazy how many things are being banned left and right by conservatives, but some folks still want to pretend that it's the so-called "wokes" that are coming to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's crazy how many things are being banned left and right by conservatives, but some folks still want to pretend that it's the so-called "wokes" that are coming to get you.
    "Slavery was such a long time ago, why can't black people just get over it, why do they deserve reparations?"

Yeah, Ruby Bridges is still alive, she even has an instagram account. Those black and white photos in history books just make them seem ancient. Conservatives are more than happy to ban the things that they don't like.

Invincible Member

I find it interesting that very few of these "free speech absolutists" and stand up comedians that were claiming they can't do comedy a couple of years ago because of the SJWs, have anything to say about these book bannings and censorship taking place across the country now...