Page 758 of 828 FirstFirst ... 258658708748754755756757758759760761762768808 ... LastLast
Results 11,356 to 11,370 of 12408
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    "Slavery was such a long time ago, why can't black people just get over it, why do they deserve reparations?"
    Not even that. Something like this barely even approaches the more hawkish material out to dissect modern America that Coates, Kendi, and others are backing. This film simply pertains to the message of “Jim Crow was terrible, so let’s not see it repeated” message that most would find digestible. This is along the lines of a biopic I saw in grade school decades ago for pete sakes. So all this move does is plant a large red flag on these conservatives.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 03-29-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.theroot.com/omg-ruby-bri...ren-1850269836

Shameful: ‘Ruby Bridges’ Film Banned From School Because White Parents Feeling Some Kind of Way
    More on this, apparently the movie has been shown for the last 4 or 5 yrs to the 2nd grade class. Parent are told about the film before hand and have to sign a permission slip. This year out of 60 kids, only 2 parents opted out of seeing the movie. It was only one that wanted the movie banned. Apparently, she watched the first 50 minutes and thought it would "teach them racial slurs" and that "white people hate black people." But that was enuff to get it pulled pending review.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status...12202859732995

Speaking of, have you all heard about the NAACP calling for a travel advisory to black people not to go to Florida?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Speaking of, have you all heard about the NAACP calling for a travel advisory to black people not to go to Florida?
    I read that and I laughed out loud. Is it that bad in Florida?

I know DeSantis hasn't hidden his racism but I was wondering if it was that severe for black people there.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

I know DeSantis hasn't hidden his racism but I was wondering if it was that severe for black people there.
    I think the point the NAACP wanted to make was less that it's so terrible for black in FL, but more a protest to send a message.

Ruby Bridges is 68 and still with us.
    Her, heavily sanitized, movie was made in 1998. The levels of scorn she put up with, as a child, would turn your stomach. The fact that ANY, ONE, single parent objected to the point of no longer showing it. Ought to make the supporters of whatever final vestiges of bullshit Desantis has been leaning into, feel equally confused and cowardly.

Speaking of her home state of Mississippi. The state with the largest concentration of African-Americans, Jackso water crisis and it's attempting by the legislation to take over. Etc, etc.

Although Mississippi’s Secretary of State approved a 2022 Medicaid expansion ballot initiative for circulation in April 2021, on May 19 the organizing committee suspended its campaign following a Mississippi Supreme Court decision ruling that the state’s entire ballot initiative process is inoperable due to procedural errors regarding ballot initiative language in the state’s constitution. While Medicaid expansion was a key issue in the 2019 Mississippi gubernatorial election, current Republican Governor Tate Reeves opposes expansion, making it unlikely that the state will take up expansion through legislation.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Ruby Bridges is 68 and still with us.
    Her, heavily sanitized, movie was made in 1998. The levels of scorn she put up with, as a child, would turn your stomach. The fact that ANY, ONE, single parent objected to the point of no longer showing it. Ought to make the supporters of whatever final vestiges of bullshit Desantis has been leaning into, feel equally confused and cowardly.

Speaking of her home state of Mississippi. The state with the largest concentration of African-Americans, Jackso water crisis and it's attempting by the legislation to take over. Etc, etc.
    That was the Disney movie right? I watched it when I was a kid, I remember the scene where she was being pelted with food while saying the lord's prayer.

I live in Florida.

No, it isn't.

That is the thing about a lot of this stuff is that it has no real day to day affect on your lives. A lot of the damage that will be done will be more long term.

To be honest, while Desantis crusade against "woke" teachings and all that BS... it is really the LGBT and Woman who are really going to take the brunt of what he is doing (the 6wk abortion ban is incoming for example).
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Man, this Angel Reese/Caitlin Clark controversy is soooooo annoying.

Seriously, the only reason Angel gave the "you can't see me" sign is because Caitlin did it before. Folks are calling her classless for the same thing they praised Caitlin for. These folks can give it but they can't take it.

I'm surprised racist double standards that even "mainstream" folks are arguing for. Its stunning this nonsense still happens in 2023.

Seriously, the only reason Angel gave the "you can't see me" sign is because Caitlin did it before. Folks are calling her classless for the same thing they praised Caitlin for. These folks can give it but they can't take it.

I'm surprised racist double standards that even "mainstream" folks are arguing for. Its stunning this nonsense still happens in 2023.
    I'm a sports nut still and the thing about NCAA Women's basketball is that- it ain't like the Mens game. Ain't no Caitlin Clarks out there in the Men's game say for the past 30 years or so, a player of her caliber can still be very effective on the Women's side. Which will bring "mainstream" folks into it still. Clark is a very good player and there were other things in that game were way more suspect than channeling John Cena. As far as the trash talk, man whatyagonnado, they had a whole segment earlier in the season with Clark doin' that move and it was ALL good, until it wasn't. She got outdone.

WORST thing was Jill Biden talkin' bout BOTH teams will be 'should' be invited to the White House. Fk that, THAT's over the top, now we are definitely protecting feelings and that is bullshit. Don't even consider if Iowa decided to guard Reese and the other players out at the 3 point line and had won the game, Jill Biden wouldn't have considered this dual invite. White women all over would have been waving hands in front of faces for months.
    You bet yer ass.

Jaime Reyes though. Lol, gimmie some thoughts. George Lopez getting knocked halfway across the room had me rollin'. It's gonna happen even if it does look formulaic.
    You bet yer ass.

I'm a touch conflicted because Iowa's my alma mater, but not that conflicted, I saw a comment on LinkedIn, not Facebook, not twitter, LinkedIn, that said that black women shouldn't call basketball games. I always knew that LinkedIn was just Facebook in a suit.
    It doesn't surprise me that a white woman's feelings are prioritized over everything else and Angel was "unsportmanlike". One could almost set their watch by it.

Apparently Caitlin Clark is supporting Reese. So "some people" can stop peretending to be offended on her behalf.