Page 767 of 828 FirstFirst ... 267667717757763764765766767768769770771777817 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,505 of 12411
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yet it seemed to recalibrate itself right at the end.

Move the Book of Boba stuff to this season and cut a bit of fluff and it is so much better.

They REALLY want Bo Katan to be a thing. Wonder if they are gonna try and give her a season since they move Dinn away.
    The thing is that Bo Katan already was *a* "thing" in Star Wars - a popular anti-heroic supporting character, but not really a great protagonist, and one who doesn't handle the central spotlight that well.

And its the second time they've built up some other, non-white Mandalorian character as a more complex, more engaging hero for a "Rise to Mandalore" story... and then seemingly panicked and decided to drop the story, have Bo get handed the Lightsaber, and try to wrap up an entire political plotline, all while relying on ignoring Bo's more disturbing past as a nationalist to make her sympathetic.

They definitely did a good job getting Din back in the center of the story for the very last episode, but i still think its annoying that Bo Katan is treated like a "good" version of a Karen, entitled to be the leader of Mandalore mostly because the writer doesn't feel like telling the story with the more interesting and heroic POC they set up in the first place.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The thing is that Bo Katan already was *a* "thing" in Star Wars - a popular anti-heroic supporting character, but not really a great protagonist, and one who doesn't handle the central spotlight that well.

And its the second time they've built up some other, non-white Mandalorian character as a more complex, more engaging hero for a "Rise to Mandalore" story... and then seemingly panicked and decided to drop the story, have Bo get handed the Lightsaber, and try to wrap up an entire political plotline, all while relying on ignoring Bo's more disturbing past as a nationalist to make her sympathetic.

They definitely did a good job getting Din back in the center of the story for the very last episode, but i still think its annoying that Bo Katan is treated like a "good" version of a Karen, entitled to be the leader of Mandalore mostly because the writer doesn't feel like telling the story with the more interesting and heroic POC they set up in the first place.
    It is like they realized after they gave Dinn the dark saber that if he was "the mandolore"... he really wouldn't have anyting to do and panicked and brought in Bo and reset Mando/Grogu's path at the end so they can tell more stories with them easier.

And easily drop in Dinn into any other show that needs a boost.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

It is like they realized after they gave Dinn the dark saber that if he was "the mandolore"... he really wouldn't have anyting to do and panicked and brought in Bo and reset Mando/Grogu's path at the end so they can tell more stories with them easier.

And easily drop in Dinn into any other show that needs a boost.
    I keep hearing things like this, and I keep wondering where "Warrior King of a Warrior Society" seems dull to some people, or like you couldn't just string out that story for multiple seasons if need be.

I mean, you could have him "drop in" on someone else's story and just excuse it as "I need to bring this particualr band of mercenaries to heel, and I need x to do so," and it would work.

Or they could just kind of do the obvious thing that Star Wars could eventually do, and actually have someone successively overthrow a system of monarchy - and an outsider played by a Hispanic man doing that would work where "...Actually, we need this white noblewoman to reign instead, supported by the warrior-faith National Church" maybe wouldn't.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I keep hearing things like this, and I keep wondering where "Warrior King of a Warrior Society" seems dull to some people, or like you couldn't just string out that story for multiple seasons if need be.
    \
    I think its because they would be "rebuilding" so their isn't much of a society to be king of
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This Mallory's story struck me. Seems like a layup for a federal investigation to me. Sametime, for as much issue as Black farmers have had recently with the federal government, they might have an iron in the fire already. This geographic type of harassment and law enforcement discrimination hits worse where you see placement of Black folks in the smallest numbers. Western US and the plains.

Glad he seems to have some local support. The boneheads he has to deal with always let things leak or take it too far, even with the police. Not the fight I'd be cut for, nevertheless a valid one.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This Mallory's story struck me. Seems like a layup for a federal investigation to me. Sametime, for as much issue as Black farmers have had recently with the federal government, they might have an iron in the fire already. This geographic type of harassment and law enforcement discrimination hits worse where you see placement of Black folks in the smallest numbers. Western US and the plains.

Glad he seems to have some local support. The boneheads he has to deal with always let things leak or take it too far, even with the police. Not the fight I'd be cut for, nevertheless a valid one.

This is part 2 of the first video.

Yeah, I suspect a Federal investigation will happen here.

Even the police here appear to be complicit. It's really troubling people still have these sorts of attitudes in 2023.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-05-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's unbelievable how much Italians were discriminated against in the US.

They were hounded, dehumanized and lynched like black people.

Interestingly, even in the 1980s, a lot of people still didn't consider Italians white. It just shows how much race is a social construct particularly in the US.

Invincible Member

Interestingly, even in the 1980s, a lot of people still didn't consider Italians white. It just shows how much race is a social construct particularly in the US.
    I've encountered more than a few Italians who didn't/don't consider themselves white.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I've encountered more than a few Italians who didn't/don't consider themselves white.
    Really??

That's interesting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    If I haven't been clear before, I personally could not give a crap about Cleopatra. The details of ancient history are literally academic (in the sense of having no practical or useful significance), at this point.

I just find an argument like this to be psychologically fascinating. You are arguing with insistence about the racial purity of someone who died thousands of years ago. I don't think that's how archeology works.

As for the focus on Ancient Egypt, European colonization, and the Transatlantic slave trade -- those are all taught as relevant to American history, so not surprising if they are relevant to African Americans. Yes, there is a great deal of world history (Africa and everywhere else) that is completely ignored by the general US population, and most individuals in the US. That's not a point that is only true when discussing issues related to black people, though.
    I am here waiting for the day VERY VISIBLY and definitively non-black actors are cast to play Shaka Zulu and Mandela. All those is support of race-bending historical people will expose their immense hyper-hypocrisy.

Just because white people did white-ash racebending does not mean blacks should also do the same.....2 wrongs does NOT make right.

Blacks who accept this should realize that it is eroding the support for blacks from non-whites..... honestly i also think Malcolm X and Dr.King would have been AGAINST this racebending nonsense.

Mighty Member

No one cares about cleopatra

dude "race bent" her just for the publicity because no one would care otherwise.

this will all be forgotten in a week and netflix or whoever will benefit from the momentary spike in hate viewing and social media discourse and move on

THis isn't worth any energy at all.

Please refrain from talking in absolutes.

"No one cares about Cleopatra" is quite LITERALLY a lie given the evident FACT of all the uproar.

Egyptians VERY MUCH CARE about their history hence the uproar.

Same Egyptians also rebelled AGAINST Gal Gadot playing Cleopatra a few years ago when it was announced.

Please do NOT be dismissive and disrespectful of other people's history just because it is not your history. If others are dismissive and disrespectful of black history u would all be in uproar and demanding support with protests yet see what u guys are doing to others.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

They had to build their own banks, not to mention all the bullshit in Hollywood making us out to be all mafia or from new York or jersey.

Hell when I went to middle school in a basically all white area I was called mafia princess and ostracized to hell for being italian.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

"No one cares about Cleopatra" is quite LITERALLY a lie given the evident FACT of all the uproar.

Egyptians VERY MUCH CARE about their history hence the uproar.

Same Egyptians also rebelled AGAINST Gal Gadot playing Cleopatra a few years ago when it was announced.

Please do NOT be dismissive and disrespectful of other people's history just because it is not your history. If others are dismissive and disrespectful of black history u would all be in uproar and demanding support with protests yet see what u guys are doing to others.
    With all due respect...

Folks have been doing that to us for YEARS. See Florida for the most recent as they have banned or demanded the removal of black related material for being offensive. Despite actual material being supported by facts.

The same folks who will gladly tell you the only thing black folks have done is be slaves.

That won't tell you how many black voted leading up to the Civil War and after it before Jim Crow ended that. Along with those who served in political offices.

If it's that big of an issue-it's called NOT watching it or in Egypt's case ban it from showing in the country as so much stuff has been banned like Strange Worlds over a black gay male. Hurt some pocket books.

Of better yet-get some investors and do your OWN Cleopatra project instead of whining. Present the facts and data to support whatever Egypt believes she was.

Guess who is going to win the battle-Egypt.

I am here waiting for the day VERY VISIBLY and definitively non-black actors are cast to play Shaka Zulu and Mandela. All those is support of race-bending historical people will expose their immense hyper-hypocrisy.
    We got photos not ART of what those two look like. So rage over those two would be based on FACT not fiction.

Invincible Member

Really??

That's interesting.
    It's happened in my personal life and in my professional life. Talking to say a guy in a bar and he says something like, "See it was it was me and my sister and we're Italian but then these white kids came up to us and said blah blah blah..."

Or at my job I have to ask ppl their ethnicity, I'll say "Do you consider yourself White/Caucasian, African American, Asian, Hispanic...?" Some of them will say, "Oh, none of those...I'm Italian!"

Having said that, I live in Chicago ( and this might be a generational thing) but if you ask certain white ppl to self identify they'll say they're Italian, they're Polish, they're German/Irish, etc...they'll only be white if you make them choose between being white, black, latino and asian...like white is the closest thing so they'll settle for that.

Then, there's the whole thing of being middle eastern vs asian vs white....
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-06-2023 at 01:47 PM.

Ultimate Member

This Jordan Neely thing is a bit troubling.

Now, I am not defending Mr. Neely's actions (he was clearly mentally ill) because he had been violent before and was acting aggressively HOWEVER should people be celebrated for vigilantism?

It's not even a matter of race, I just think society is going down a slippery slope if an individual can freely kill someone else in a situation where the victim wasn't actively engaging in violent action.

Obviously, the man that killed Neely didn't intend to kill him but I don't think there are any heroes in situations like these. I can understand people being afraid and wanting to protect themselves but Mr. Neely is dead and gone now without ever getting the help that he needed that might have helped set him straight. I think situations like these should call for sober reflection and how exactly mental health, homelessness and security is being very poorly managed right now.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-07-2023 at 06:47 PM.