Page 768 of 828 FirstFirst ... 268668718758764765766767768769770771772778818 ... LastLast
Results 11,506 to 11,520 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This Jordan Neely thing is a bit troubling.

Now, I am not defending Mr. Neely's actions (he was clearly mentally ill) because he had been violent before and was acting aggressively HOWEVER should people be celebrated for vigilantism?

It's not even a matter of race, I just think society is going down a slippery slope if an individual can freely kill someone else in a situation where the victim wasn't actively engaging in violent action.

Obviously, the man that killed Neely didn't intend to kill him but I don't think there are any heroes in situations like these. I can understand people being afraid and wanting to protect themselves but Mr. Neely is dead and gone now without ever getting the help that he needed that might have helped set him straight. I think situations like these should call for sober reflection and how exactly mental health, homelessness and security is being very poorly managed right now.
    That wasn't vigilantism, he wasn't stopping any threat. 'FOX News' was just really annoyed and took up action against what he felt was a personal nuisance, not even a super public one. From behind mind you, not even face to face. There wasn't even property threatened to my knowledge, which is all most of these clowns feel is the most basic level to cause wreck. Those guys don't roll up any guys near they level. It's always older and sick ones.

I think he did intent to kill that guy. He was a Marine who full was trained to understand that hold can and will lead to death if you don't let go.

MY beef is with the assholes to held his arms and legs down. One dude was Black. I get this is NY and people keep it movin' no matter what but when you aid and abed then it changes, even on the train. Nobody even said a single, 'dude, let up!'? The ones recording are ill too but unfortunately that's what it's gonna be with everybody walking around with video ability. Jordan Neely had it bad for a long time and by all accounts was entertaining people on the train for years prior. Eric Adams is gonna have to make some decisions here without all the bs he talks about any other time.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Richard Dreyfuss on new Oscars diversity rules: ‘They make me vomit’

Actor Richard Dreyfuss is not a fan of the Academy Awards’ new diversity guidelines.

Officials announced in 2020 that beginning in 2024, movies must meet certain criteria for representation to be eligible for the Academy Award for best picture.

Films have to meet at least two of four benchmarks, which cover – among other things – whether the lead actors are from underrepresented groups or if at least 30% of the cast and crew come from these groups.
    “It’s also a form of commerce and it makes money,” the actor said. “But it’s an art. And no one should be telling me as an artist that I have to give into the latest, most current idea of what morality is.”

The inclusion standards were enacted in an attempt to address inequality in the industry, which gave rise to the #OscarsSoWhite movement in 2015.

“I don’t think that there is a minority or a majority in this country that has to be catered to like that,” Dreyfuss went on to say during the interview.
    Controversial take for sure from Dreyfuss. For one I think he is conveniently ignoring flat out racism that leads to the necessity of initiatives like these designed to get MORE people of color and minority groups the chance to work. And participate and be recognized for the very "art" he purports to be so supportive of.

I am supposed to weep and feel sorry for him that he cannot in his words "get the chance to play a black man" in his career? All he needs to do is look at the history of blackface for example and the roles that Black people, and other minorities were not able to do as "artists" for decades let alone be recognized and awarded for the roles. He thinks that is "patronizing"? That is people getting their feelings hurt?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That wasn't vigilantism, he wasn't stopping any threat. 'FOX News' was just really annoyed and took up action against what he felt was a personal nuisance, not even a super public one. From behind mind you, not even face to face. There wasn't even property threatened to my knowledge, which is all most of these clowns feel is the most basic level to cause wreck. Those guys don't roll up any guys near they level. It's always older and sick ones.

I think he did intent to kill that guy. He was a Marine who full was trained to understand that hold can and will lead to death if you don't let go.

MY beef is with the assholes to held his arms and legs down. One dude was Black. I get this is NY and people keep it movin' no matter what but when you aid and abed then it changes, even on the train. Nobody even said a single, 'dude, let up!'? The ones recording are ill too but unfortunately that's what it's gonna be with everybody walking around with video ability. Jordan Neely had it bad for a long time and by all accounts was entertaining people on the train for years prior. Eric Adams is gonna have to make some decisions here without all the bs he talks about any other time.
    Yeah, I don't know why other people felt the need to restrain the man when he was being choked to death.

From what we know, Neely wasn't a threat, so I don't know why the need for such excessive force on him.

As you rightly said, Eric Adams has some decisions to make here because looking at the facts, a man that was acting erratically and "talking" threateningly was murdered.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

Controversial take for sure from Dreyfuss. For one I think he is conveniently ignoring flat out racism that leads to the necessity of initiatives like these designed to get MORE people of color and minority groups the chance to work. And participate and be recognized for the very "art" he purports to be so supportive of.

I am supposed to weep and feel sorry for him that he cannot in his words "get the chance to play a black man" in his career? All he needs to do is look at the history of blackface for example and the roles that Black people, and other minorities were not able to do as "artists" for decades let alone be recognized and awarded for the roles. He thinks that is "patronizing"? That is people getting their feelings hurt?
    I read his comments and I was disappointed in him.

Media and entertainment are powerful in shaping perception and Hollywood has been instrumental in adding to the negative stereotypes. This is stuff a man as "experienced" as Dreyfuss should understand.

This is aside from the actual marginalization that minorities face and still face in Hollywood which is why these initiatives are happening in the first place. Seriously, the comments from the leaked emails (regarding voting for the last Oscars) speak to the mindset of some of the academy members. These are not some progressive lot that are favoring minorities AT ALL, and without specific initiatives, they might never get work and win awards for said work. As we speak, some of the biggest minority names in the industry (like Michael B.Jordan) still rely on producing their own movies which is crazy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

The Oscars have always had an element of "club politics" anyways, on top of the insular nature of film criticism and art theory; such things are inherently more susceptible to echo chamber psychology, privilege, and entitlement anyways.

As much as the stereotype pushed about Hollywood and the film industry is one of a bunch of lefties feeding each other leftist ideals... the reality is its a world shaped by rich, profit-driven and generally white and male power players, and the awards circuit is not free from that... and at times even in modern day is determined entirely by that demographic and their peculiar tastes and assumptions.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Maybe he's trying to drum up interest in Krippendorf's Tribe 2?

Ultimate Member

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...career-fallout

Still, the swiftness and severity of the fallout from the arrest has been striking, even in an industry that has seen powerful figures toppled by misconduct allegations. Even if Majors is cleared of the charges, the damage to his career may be irreparable, experts say, in part because of his race.

“Throughout history, the narrative of the violent Black man has been built for a very long time,” said Todd Boyd, professor of arts and media studies at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts. “It has been used as justification to punish Black men. It’s hard to predict what impact this will have in this case, but it could become a real substantial issue, given the intensity surrounding race in this country.”

One executive — who has worked for major film and television studios and was granted anonymity in order to discuss Majors’ situation candidly — acknowledged that “there is not equity.”
    To the point that Skyvolt made earlier.

Simu Liu HAS slammed an op-ed published by Huff Post for suggesting he was hired as the “token” Asian actor in the upcoming movie “Barbie.”

In the article titled “We Love Simu Liu, But He’s Not The Only Talented Asian Thirst Trap In Hollywood,” writer Ian Kumamoto wrote that “Asian Twitter collectively scratched its head” over Liu’s casting in the movie.

Don’t get us wrong — we love Liu and we’re all for an Asian king thriving. But when a single actor appears to be getting the bulk of Asian male roles in Hollywood, it starts to feel a little less like representation and a lot more like tokenism. All we’re saying is, we don’t want a predominantly white Hollywood to gatekeep sexy Asian male representation like it has for decades when there are so many other attractive and talented Asian men who deserve to be seen and appreciated by the general public.
    To prove his point, Kumamoto even listed seven other Asian actors who could have played the role of Ken in the film, including Manny Jacinto of “The Good Place,” Ludi Lin of “Mortal Kombat” and Steven Yeun.

Liu, who plays one of the several variations of Ken in “Barbie,” commented on the Facebook post linking to the article to call out the suggestion that he was monopolizing the Asian male roles.

Way to attempt to put us against one another. What ‘bulk’ of roles are you referring to? Are there movies I’m in that I’m not aware of? Do you really think that there is a quota of ‘Asian male roles’ that is a zero-sum game? Everything I have taken post Shang-Chi was not written Asian. We’ve been able to reshape stories to get more representation onscreen. Get your facts straight.
    https://nextshark.com/simu-liu-calls...ticle-tokenism

Man, that was a dumb argument in the Huffington Post.
    Liu hasn't done any major films since Shang-Chi, mainly working on smaller projects (nothing wrong with that.)

Yeun is an odd comparison, since he followed up his Oscar nomination for Minari by being in a Jordan Peele film, a Marvel villain and Bong Yoon Ho's first post-Oscar film. His career is doing pretty damn well.

But it's also icky to imply that actors should turn down roles so that lesser-known people will be a Ken. It also seems to imply that the part is completely token, in that any Asian actor would do just as well. If Simu Liu had been unavailable, they probably wouldn't have chosen another white guy (they've got Scott Evans and Ryan Gosling) or black actor (one Ken is played by Kingsley Ben-Adir who is biracial, another is played by Ncuti Gatwa who is the new Doctor Who) but they could have gone with a Latino actor or someone with a different ethnicity (Jason Momoa is Native Hawaiian, Taika Waiti is half-Maori, Kumail Nanjiani is Middle Eastern, Dev Patel has Indian heritage, etc.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Rumors are cirulating heavy the Jamie Fox is not doing well at all in the hospital...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Rumors are cirulating heavy the Jamie Fox is not doing well at all in the hospital...
    Ah, yea I been seein that. That's tough, mans had high bp for years and likely contributed to a stroke? Word is at least.

You know and I'm sure White folks to a measure do this too but American Black folks tend to gage mortality against celebrity. It's not as cold as a life goes on thing, no ****, some high end designer passes and they don't make the same impact as an entertainer. Someone you remember making an effort to see, or what place in your life you were when they came on. I remeber going to go see dude 20 years ago and he was hilarious live. Ray is one of my top 10 favorite movies ever... I hope he pulls through.. not burying him or nothin. It's just we don't have many Morgan Freeman's out here. Lol, also that's not to say a lot of things, just speaking to mortality as a people. That's so sad though.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/news/curious-ca...092406984.html

The confirmation of Garcia's extreme political beliefs also opened up another question about whether far-Right ideology could be on the rise among Hispanics in America.
    In 2017 the Daily Stormer, the leading neo-Nazi website, launched a Spanish-language edition called "El Daily Stormer" and said it had a "big Spanish-speaking population" on its forums. According to Tanya Hernandez, author of Racial Innocence: Unmasking Latino Anti-Black Bias it is the case that "in Latin America, white supremacy is alive and well."Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at Cal State University, told Axios there was a "mutation that takes place as the [Hispanic] racist fringe tries to become more mainstream". Juliette Kayyem, a former assistant secretary at the Department of Homeland Security, said: “This is a very complicated aspect of Right-wing extremism. "We would assume that everyone is white in a Caucasian sense. But Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race, and so a lot of Hispanics identify as being white."
    I'm not sure why this is even some major issue. Nick Fuentes is a 24-year-old who is of Hispanic descent and is a major white supremacist.

Lots of Hispanics identify as white and many do have white supremacist ideas in Latin America and even in the Carribean. This is something a lot of people (myself included) have witnessed first hand.

This isn't some new revelation and I wonder why the media is treating it as such.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I hope he pulls through.

Foxx seemed like one of the most reliable guys around. He's someone that quite clearly never phoned in his performances no matter how small or silly.

This is another thing about life, no matter how youthful someone looks at the outside, age is really on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Ah, yea I been seein that. That's tough, mans had high bp for years and likely contributed to a stroke? Word is at least.

You know and I'm sure White folks to a measure do this too but American Black folks tend to gage mortality against celebrity. It's not as cold as a life goes on thing, no ****, some high end designer passes and they don't make the same impact as an entertainer. Someone you remember making an effort to see, or what place in your life you were when they came on. I remeber going to go see dude 20 years ago and he was hilarious live. Ray is one of my top 10 favorite movies ever... I hope he pulls through.. not burying him or nothin. It's just we don't have many Morgan Freeman's out here. Lol, also that's not to say a lot of things, just speaking to mortality as a people. That's so sad though.
    I've been trying really hard to stay on top of my health, drinking more water, exercise, eating less junk food, laying off salt and red meat. I go out to eat maybe once a week. Yay Mediterranean diet. I do hope he pulls through. If for nothing else to stop these clickbaity articles.

I'm not sure why this is even some major issue. Nick Fuentes is a 24-year-old who is of Hispanic descent and is a major white supremacist.

Lots of Hispanics identify as white and many do have white supremacist ideas in Latin America and even in the Carribean. This is something a lot of people (myself included) have witnessed first hand.

This isn't some new revelation and I wonder why the media is treating it as such.
    Its because these journalists all went to the same schools, live in the same cities, and travel in the same social circles. Journalism used to be a working class profession, but now only well off kids can go into it. They all live inside this coastal elitist bubble ( I know how I sound here, but bear with me.) so a lot of them just assume that all minorities think the exact same way when it comes to race issues, when that is obviously not the case.

Invincible Member

Because some pundits are trying to shift the conversation from mass shootings and white supremacy to "This is all a psy-op! They're coming for you! What about that trans terrorist last month?!"

It's sad cuz several years ago mainstream Republicans wouldn't have had much trouble condemning this young man. But now the fridges have taken more control of the party and they can't risk offending them.