Page 791 of 828 FirstFirst ... 291691741781787788789790791792793794795801 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,865 of 12408
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    The Creator is looking to be a flop. So frustrating because not only its an original science fiction film, but its an original sci-fi film with a Black lead. People always say they want new properties with POC leads, but this is what usually happens. The films bomb and this is why Hollywood continues to stick to established properties. It's just the safer option.
    I never saw an ad for this movie. Not one.

Also lets look at last weekend-

New York had flooding issues.

Here in my city the State Fair opened and Prairie View AM & Grambling played.

The last weekend of regular season of baseball.

There was too much stuff going on for anyone to be concerned about a new movie with POC leads that had little to no promotion.

Along with some of the same folks who scream for new properties with POC leads-trashing or making every excuse to NOT go see those movies that they cry about.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    The Creator is looking to be a flop. So frustrating because not only its an original science fiction film, but its an original sci-fi film with a Black lead. People always say they want new properties with POC leads, but this is what usually happens. The films bomb and this is why Hollywood continues to stick to established properties. It's just the safer option.
    Could it possibly be the male lead doesn't have the star power to attract audiences? His father killed it with The Equalizer 3.

But yes where are the loud-mouths who say they will support new properties with POC leads? Blue Beetle needed your help as well. So disappointing the hypocrites turn to crickets. All talk again.

The Creator does look interesting.

I'm not seeing a movie just because of POC lead or whatever.

If I've never heard of it or it looks like **** (blue beetle), naw, I'm good. That shits too expensive.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'm not seeing a movie just because of POC lead or whatever.

If I've never heard of it or it looks like **** (blue beetle), naw, I'm good. That shits too expensive.
    There's also the fact that the movie will probably be on streaming in a few months, so most people are probably going to wait. The only folks flocking to the theaters now are Taylor Swift fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    There's also the fact that the movie will probably be on streaming in a few months, so most people are probably going to wait. The only folks flocking to the theaters now are Taylor Swift fans.
    Exactly. I am busy as **** and movie theaters are expensive.

And I am already behind on 10 other tv shows and movies.

It is really easy to just wait until a movie is on streaming somewhere. Very few movies to me are worth the "movie theater experience"

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Exactly. I am busy as **** and movie theaters are expensive.

And I am already behind on 10 other tv shows and movies.

It is really easy to just wait until a movie is on streaming somewhere. Very few movies to me are worth the "movie theater experience"
    A tangent here (on topic, this was also the first I've heard of The Creator, so agreed abut lack of promotion) but this is part of where I feel like predictions of the demise of the MCU are so off the mark. I think the MCU movies are the only ones that have gotten me back in the theater, post-pandemic. I enjoyed Black Panther, MoM and Quantumania, and look forward to seeing the The Marvels in theater.

Not like they're perfect or above criticism or anything, but honestly MCU movies and shows have been the most consistently entertaining properties for me, for quite a while now. So just credit where credit is due, is all.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

i just wait for D+ with the marvel movies now. And even then I am behind. But a lot of that had to do with non-recasting tchalla so I just shrugged

i just wait for D+ with the marvel movies now. And even then I am behind. But a lot of that had to do with non-recasting tchalla so I just shrugged
    You aren't really missing anything. Something I've noticed is that some stuff after endgame has been some sort of experiment. Like "It's a marvel version of X." Except the thing it's imitating is better.

WandaVision was marvel doing the movie Pleasantville. It was alright, but Pleasantville was better.

Loki was marvel doing Doctor Who, hell Loki is even dressed like a modern Doctor. Owen Wilson is his human companion, Sylvie is River Song, he fights alongside multiple versions of himself, The Doctor's done that at least twice.

She-Hulk was marvel doing Ally Mcbeal, very....very....badly.

Thor love and thunder was a rom-com that doesn't have a heart. Thor quips more than Spider-Man does. In no universe should that happen.

Ms. Marvel almost felt like a 90's superhero show that would have been on Fox Kids. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it wasn't horrible.

Werewolf by Night was marvel doing a universal horror movie. It was actually good because Michael Giachinno isn't lazy.

Shang Chi was marvel doing a kung fu movie, it felt like...getting chinese food from Panda Express.

Dr. Strange and the MoM was marvel attempting Horror, Raimi did as much as he could get away with.

I'm not sure what Falcon and Winter Soldier was doing, other than really bad social commentary that two hour video essayists love because much like the people at marvel, they aren't that creative.

I didn't bother with black widow, secret invasion, Quantummania, or Wakanda Forever. I may see the marvels, but I think most folks are just going through the motions, biding their time until the X-Men show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Could it possibly be the male lead doesn't have the star power to attract audiences? His father killed it with The Equalizer 3.

But yes where are the loud-mouths who say they will support new properties with POC leads? Blue Beetle needed your help as well. So disappointing the hypocrites turn to crickets. All talk again.

The Creator does look interesting.
    I even LIKE John David and this project didn't move me. He's still up and coming to the larger public. I agree with Shadow, just cause a brotha is in it and looks like it's got a little money behind it don't mean I'm going to pause life to go run out and see something with my time and money.

Yes there was sparse promotion but the things is, since Netflix started to lean into the sci-fi projects damn near 10 years now. The mainstream movies have an uphill battle to make something that just doesn't LOOK like it would hit Nextflix. On it's surface this project didn't LOOK like it was super different JUST because it's not a remake or reboot.

Blue Beetle, I like the Reyes iteration of the character, I rock with George Lopez but beyond that it looked completely formulaic. Hispanic Iron Man with 100% more heart on it's surface doesn't make it a pass but we (comic fandom AND the GA) all have precedent at this point. 30 YEARS of precedent and it is welcoming to see brown faces... the 3 or 4 over that same time span we've gotten but it's gotta be pretty unique in this age of streaming unfortunately. White lead films are going through the same ****. I own Sin City, Sin City I didn't enjoy and to this day I haven't ever bothered with The Spirit, I know a trend when I see it. I have no interest in seeing Ezra Miller Flash, even with Keaton but I'll peep Blue Beetle. Hell, it might be on the streams now...

The loud mouths that scream about anything are just that. They scream for their own self-interest. I made a point to get a Blu-Ray of Spider-verse the week it came out and that and taking the girls to see it at the theater was all we've done major studio wise :shrug:.. I'm mad I missed Openheimer at the thater though but aside from that, the movie going public deserves some better output.

I will see The Creator... which for what I feel is the premise of the movie is, it's a bad title, when it hits the streams.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The Equalizer 3 had a decent amount of advertising though. And even if it had the same identical amount of advertising as The Creator (ie barely any) since 1 and 2 had advertising people would have gleamed that 3 would be more of the same if not better.

Also, if Denzel starred in The Creator instead, but it still had the same amount of advertising, what people would have been like Highlander and said "I sense a Denzel movie in the area!" and flocked to see it?

You aren't really missing anything. Something I've noticed is that some stuff after endgame has been some sort of experiment. Like "It's a marvel version of X." Except the thing it's imitating is better.

WandaVision was marvel doing the movie Pleasantville. It was alright, but Pleasantville was better.

Loki was marvel doing Doctor Who, hell Loki is even dressed like a modern Doctor. Owen Wilson is his human companion, Sylvie is River Song, he fights alongside multiple versions of himself, The Doctor's done that at least twice.

Thor love and thunder was a rom-com that doesn't have a heart. Thor quips more than Spider-Man does. In no universe should that happen.

Ms. Marvel almost felt like a 90's superhero show that would have been on Fox Kids. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it wasn't horrible.

Werewolf by Night was marvel doing a universal horror movie. It was actually good because Michael Giachinno isn't lazy.

Shang Chi was marvel doing a kung fu movie, it felt like...getting chinese food from Panda Express.

Dr. Strange and the MoM was marvel attempting Horror, Raimi did as much as he could get away with.

I'm not sure what Falcon and Winter Soldier was doing, other than really bad social commentary that two hour video essayists love because much like the people at marvel, they aren't that creative.

I didn't bother with black widow, secret invasion, Quantummania, or Wakanda Forever. I may see the marvels, but I think most folks are just going through the motions, biding their time until the X-Men show up.
    Awwwwwwww, I like'ed SHAUN Chi. Awkwardfina makes me want to walk into traffic but it at least it had some heart and action when she wasn't on screen. Panda Express has no heart lol.

The rest is pretty spot on. Falcon and WS, man at least we got some really good action and Bradley. I feel we're in the bonus just in that.

Quantumania was written by a teenager, it was lame, lame. John Major's 30 minutes of screentime couldn't even pull that out of the fire. Terrible.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

The Exorciist:Believer is scheduled for release for tomorrow ( black family as the leads ). This one I've at least seen a few ads for. I won't go to the theatres for it, but I'll probably eventually catch it as a rental or streaming.

It'll be interesting to see how it does because what makes horror movies successful is a little different than mainstream movies. On the other hand, I won't be shocked if since it's a well known franchise, a few ppl ( the edgy dude bros, not so much Fox News ) start asking the "woke" question.

Spider-verse was the one movie I wanted to see in theaters and just... didn't have time. By the time I did have time, it was about done so I just waited.

I bought on blue ray too instead of streaming to 'support'

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I did see ads for The Creator on Twitch, which suggests to me that there was some effort to try to market this movie to a younger crowd. I swear I'm not trying to call y'all old, lol. For me personally when I saw the ads for The Creator it looked like just another "Lone Wolf & Cub" style story. And after The Mandalorian I'm very over that story trope.

At this point I could write a whole damn essay about my feelings toward the MCU and the MCU fandom post-Endgame but the short version is that I'm burnt-out by the negative discourse and that words cannot describe how much I hate the casting for Wiccan. I'm basically done with the MCU... and praying that the new DCU gets the casting for Midnighter and Apollo right.

I agree that going to theatres just isn't worth it for a lot of movies. My family has felt that way for a long time, even before the MCU was a thing. My Mom used to say about certain movies; "That's the type of movie you want to see in theatres!". And she wouldn't say that about stuff like dramas or rom-coms.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 10-05-2023 at 11:53 AM.

The She-Hulk comics - specifically the John Byrne run - were Ally McBeal before Ally McBeal existed. The show was pulling from that run and the Dan Slott stories. How well they executed it is a another kettle of fish.

Falcon and Winter Soldier is basically a buddy cop movie in the form of a tv series, right down to the typical white guy and black guy duo. Though the black guy is the more straight-laced one this time. Bucky even kind of looks like Riggs from Lethal Weapon. If Isaiah Bradley were the co-lead instead of Sam, he'd be complaining about how he's gotten too old for this.