Page 794 of 828 FirstFirst ... 294694744784790791792793794795796797798804 ... LastLast
Results 11,896 to 11,910 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh

When you work, you don't comment on religion, politics, or sex.

I don't feel sorry for stupid, just keep your mouth shut.
    I don't agree.

Hollywood folk have always spoken up about certain causes without any consequences. Or rather the consequences have been dependent on what they are speaking about and who is taking offense.

So much so that actors marched with civil rights leaders back in the day to them participating in literal adverts about support for gay rights and black lives matter in recent times. Admittedly a lot of it is cringe but cringe shouldn't get people sh!tcanned.

What's happening now is if you speak up about certain "other" causes, you get cancelled. Immediately. It seems more like about sending a message to the actors. Susan Sarandon also got dropped by her agency for pro-Palestine comments as well. This is also strange because she's been politically outspoken for decades.

Edit. : I'm not even defending Melissa Barrera because I've been giving her the side eye since she gave an interview about the lack of afro-latinas in "In the Heights", just that Hollywood is operating on terrible hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-22-2023 at 07:53 AM.

Invincible Member

What's really interesting about "The Marvels" underperforming is that so many of folks cheering about it are pretending that this vindicates the "get woke go broke" mantra when nothing can be further from the truth. Half of this year's biggest hits are films the chuds were complaining were so-called "woke" and would fail. And a third of them are somehow connected to Disney or Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What's really interesting about "The Marvels" underperforming is that so many of folks cheering about it are pretending that this vindicates the "get woke go broke" mantra when nothing can be further from the truth. Half of this year's biggest hits are films the chuds were complaining were so-called "woke" and would fail. And a third of them are somehow connected to Disney or Marvel.
    They don't care, they're taking a victory lap because of their Brie Larson hatred.

The "go woke, go broke" thing is nonsense.

If it were true, Barbie or Spider-verse wouldn't have been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It just that Hollywood is operating on terrible hypocrisy.
    It always has.

I just cannot feel sorry for people who just can't keep their mouth shut on social media. Literally accomplishing nothing, literally just yelling into the void because she thinks, like everyone else on there, that they are important enough that making a post means a GD thing. social media activism is just dumb.

You throw out words like ethnic cleansing and genocide (which get used so much now they don't even have meaning) then you can expect some sort of backlash.

There are ways to be "pro palestine" without going full stupid with it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

They don't care, they're taking a victory lap because of their Brie Larson hatred.

The "go woke, go broke" thing is nonsense.

If it were true, Barbie or Spider-verse wouldn't have been successful.
    Plus The Little Mermaid and Mario Bros!

It always has.

I just cannot feel sorry for people who just can't keep their mouth shut on social media. Literally accomplishing nothing, literally just yelling into the void because she thinks, like everyone else on there, that they are important enough that making a post means a GD thing. social media activism is just dumb.

You throw out words like ethnic cleansing and genocide (which get used so much now they don't even have meaning) then you can expect some sort of backlash.

There are ways to be "pro palestine" without going full stupid with it.
    People think that posting on social media..in addition to consumption of media is a form of political activism, when it's not. I wholly admit I was caught up in it myself when I was younger. I personally blame tumblr/boredom/video essayists for this idea that watching cartoons, two hour youtube videos about said cartoons, and tweeting, (x-ing, whatever we're calling it now) about how these cartoons subvert gender norms because a male character wears pink and cries a lot is going to save the world when it won't. I think shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe weren't even made for kids, but for chronically online teens and twenty-somethings who don't have kids. The same folks who go on and on about that show Bluey on disney plus.

You forget, something is only "woke" when it doesn't do well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You forget, something is only "woke" when it doesn't do well.
    Absolutely.

Some of them are pretending that Barbie wasn't "woke" because it was somehow "hidden" in the film.

Which was total nonsense considering the movie was pretty clear, open, and obvious with its themes. As much as they are attacking Disney, I don't Disney would even produce a film like Barbie.

Anybody with these kinds of thoughts are idiots. They ascribe to a single rhyme pattern as a quasi-political statement. These people are below flat earthers in my book.

The Marvel shit is different.

Re: Nia DaCosra, even Forbes noted how folks are really trying to mess her up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...onths-now/amp/

The discourse around the Marvels is out of control and some people are really trying to throw DaCosta under the bus.

There was a thread about her on Reddit and I thought the dude bros there were tear her apart but interestingly a lot of folks there were defending her. You know it's bad when some dude bros are defending Nia DaCosta.
    It's wrong for any entity to pit a contractor against it's employer. Specially as a 3rd party. That said, DaCosta got her's by way of compensation and having this tentpole on her resume. I refuse to believe DeCosta went into this as some sort of innocent artist. She knows what the machine is, she should have. I initially DID want to see the Marvels but there are 3 or 4 YouTube reviewers that I have rarely disagreed with and when they all have the same issues I WOULD have had, that's a no. I don't make time for entertainment products I'm going to have large structural issues with. I've got two daughters and I LOOK for things to take them too, everynow and again something comes up but I think they by way of me are by and large done with the Marvel shit.

This is about the biggest movie studio in the world having their films noted to death and having corporate mandates produce art. This is what you get, I don't like to sit through projects that are 'OK'. I've been on this board for over a decade and I realized long ago, PEOPLE WILL SIT THOUGH ANYTHING lol. If I get surprised by a stinker that's one thing but products for mass consumption at the very least, take your time away.

This is a Disney issue in their production of Marvel IP, their OWN IP btw. Which is why more level headed 'dude bros' don't kick in DeCosta's back. We can't go back to the 80's, which was my day of comics, we had our time, same as the first waves of Marvel movies. They are products now packed with sugar like everything else we consume. It's weird and it's also not for me anymore, I gotta except that. Even if I do love Monica Rambeau... the one from the 80's anyway.

Speaking of being a participant. What can you say to Sean Combs and his settlement to Cassie? Never been a Puffy fan really, he always came across- even back in the day as a goofball imo. I used to blame him for BIG getting killed because even then, had the money AND the juice to cool that shit to the best of his efforts, and he didn't. I'm Hip-Hop and I get how law and money works but parts of the allegations are mortifying, the violence of some of it. He's Hip-Hop, I never picked him over anybody else but I bought a LOT of Bad Boy records. Combs is also not an anomaly, Russell Simmons left the country to avoid the same types of things. Afrikka Bambatta allegations before that... I'm not saying all things should or can be altruistic but the whole things so crazy. It's a lot also easy for me cause I don't have a favorable view of fame on most levels. I still consume the NFL so I'm also a barbarian, prolly should lead with that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Anybody with these kinds of thoughts are idiots. They ascribe to a single rhyme pattern as a quasi-political statement. These people are below flat earthers in my book.

The Marvel shit is different.

It's wrong for any entity to pit a contractor against it's employer. Specially as a 3rd party. That said, DaCosta got her's by way of compensation and having this tentpole on her resume. I refuse to believe DeCosta went into this as some sort of innocent artist. She knows what the machine is, she should have. I initially DID want to see the Marvels but there are 3 or 4 YouTube reviewers that I have rarely disagreed with and when they all have the same issues I WOULD have had, that's a no. I don't make time for entertainment products I'm going to have large structural issues with. I've got two daughters and I LOOK for things to take them too, everynow and again something comes up but I think they by way of me are by and large done with the Marvel shit.

This is about the biggest movie studio in the world having their films noted to death and having corporate mandates produce art. This is what you get, I don't like to sit through projects that are 'OK'. I've been on this board for over a decade and I realized long ago, PEOPLE WILL SIT THOUGH ANYTHING lol. If I get surprised by a stinker that's one thing but products for mass consumption at the very least, take your time away.

This is a Disney issue in their production of Marvel IP, their OWN IP btw. Which is why more level headed 'dude bros' don't kick in DeCosta's back. We can't go back to the 80's, which was my day of comics, we had our time, same as the first waves of Marvel movies. They are products now packed with sugar like everything else we consume. It's weird and it's also not for me anymore, I gotta except that. Even if I do love Monica Rambeau... the one from the 80's anyway.

Speaking of being a participant. What can you say to Sean Combs and his settlement to Cassie? Never been a Puffy fan really, he always came across- even back in the day as a goofball imo. I used to blame him for BIG getting killed because even then, had the money AND the juice to cool that shit to the best of his efforts, and he didn't. I'm Hip-Hop and I get how law and money works but parts of the allegations are mortifying, the violence of some of it. He's Hip-Hop, I never picked him over anybody else but I bought a LOT of Bad Boy records. Combs is also not an anomaly, Russell Simmons left the country to avoid the same types of things. Afrikka Bambatta allegations before that... I'm not saying all things should or can be altruistic but the whole things so crazy. It's a lot also easy for me cause I don't have a favorable view of fame on most levels. I still consume the NFL so I'm also a barbarian, prolly should lead with that.
    This is a bit unusual for me, but I'm inclined to believe what Cassie alleged. Cassie was really, really young when she hooked up with Puff and the power dynamic in more ways than one were skewed heavily in Puff's direction.

Puff is one of the last "dark" figures still standing in the industry. A good chunk of these guys (or people like him) have either gone under, are dead, in jail or fled the country.

There's been a lot of talk of Puff's "aggressiveness" and severe weirdness that a first-hand account gives some credence to. He's one of those guys that's "laundered" his image overtime (or at least he's tried to by hobnobbing with big businessmen and calling himself "Brother Love") but one shouldn't forget that there's been a metric TON of controversies around Puff.

Aside the Cassie issue, I'm curious to hear more about the Tupac case (which is also complicated because almost everyone involved with that mess is dead or in jail) and if Puff is involved.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-22-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Re: Nia DaCosra, even Forbes noted how folks are really trying to mess her up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...onths-now/amp/

The discourse around the Marvels is out of control and some people are really trying to throw DaCosta under the bus.

There was a thread about her on Reddit and I thought the dude bros there were tear her apart but interestingly a lot of folks there were defending her. You know it's bad when some dude bros are defending Nia DaCosta.
    Once in a while you will see Dudebros who use common sense. And realize the issues were bigger than her.

We have heard about Disney folks interfering in movies way back with Avengers.
    We have heard what they put John Boyega through just to get the role of Finn that Abrams wrote for him in mind and the mess of the second movie.

They were the main ones pushing folks to read Dr Eve Ewing's Ironheart book years back.

That said, DaCosta got her's by way of compensation and having this tentpole on her resume. I refuse to believe DeCosta went into this as some sort of innocent artist.
    I suspect she made the movie she wanted and Disney went back and edited it the way they wanted. They have done this before. She has no control over that.
    I think the issue is all the attacking on her versus calling out Disney for their antics.

I suspect that is why the dudebros are defending her.

We have seen this before. What the director turned in didn't match what was on the screen.

See Superman 2 & Supergirl. Whose Your Caddy's trailers did not match what the plot was really about. And other movies where the writer wants his name removed.

I think shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe weren't even made for kids, but for chronically online teens and twenty-somethings who don't have kids.
    They were for kids but when you learn who watches with those kids-you see the changes. Add in Regular Show.
    I say add in the Loud House.
    Heck add in Clarence. Funny nobody had an issue with Clarence's Mom sleeping with an unemployed Chad in the same bed. Chad didn't work.

I don't Disney would even produce a film like Barbie.
    Yes they would. It would be under one of the other banners like Touchstone Pictures.

And guess what they got plenty of females that they can use especially a reimaged Pepper Ann or the Ashleys from Recess-ESPECIALLY them.
    Or Darkwing Duck's daughter or Webby or the Chippettes or Muppets or Fraggles or WORST Hannah Montana or Raven.

Ultimate Member

This is a bit unusual for me, but I'm inclined to believe what Cassie alleged. Cassie was really, really young when she hooked up with Puff and the power dynamic in more ways than one were skewed heavily in Puff's direction.

Puff is one of the last "dark" figures still standing in the industry. A good chunk of these guys (or people like him) have either gone under, are dead, in jail or fled the country.

There's been a lot of talk of Puff's "aggressiveness" and severe weirdness that a first-hand account gives some credence to. He's one of those guys that's "laundered" his image overtime (or at least he's tried to by hobnobbing with big businessmen and calling himself "Brother Love") but one shouldn't forget that there's been a metric TON of controversies around Puff.

Aside the Cassie issue, I'm curious to hear more about the Tupac case (which is also complicated because almost everyone involved with that mess is dead or in jail) and if Puff is involved.
    The thing with Diddy goes like this....

It's okay to work WITH him.

It's NOT oaky to work FOR him. Think of all the folks who left him-Mase and 112 for example. Making the Band anyone?

Does make you wonder why he gave all those artists back their music rights.

I am sure somewhere Chris Stoke is sweating somewhere. He did dirty a LOT of folks too. Aside from B2K, Immature, Oryan and his wife, Monteco & Quindon Tarver-most of his others never released albums. Now he does movies that go on Tubi.

1,000%, if not even in whole but in part I'd agree. That being said that whole era, looked a certain way as far as the 'artists' he was pushing out.

I can't say I believe that part. If for nothing else the whole music industry model is different. The new dirtbags work over the streaming sites now at this point. The figure heads are at least being cast in different lights, that I can say is a welcome change. Music industry preys on inexperience and youth and now corporate product. AI has worked it's way in music for some time now. Even if the 'dark' figures doesn't constitute sexual violence, all the stories from the 90's era guys over stolen royalties seemed to be more of the rule than an outlier.

For sho. Black folks talk, even if by way of rumors, keeping good secrets requires levels, specially the last 30 years. The small things we 'might hear' usually are bigger than what we'd believe. These things can cause some to form an opinion that- 'Why would so and so do this, he rich, he's so and so'... because he or she can, is always the answer. All that shit was a jive play by him, did anybody really buy it? Other than his corporate partners? He's been jacking royalties since he got into the game. Mase told people what was up over a decade ago. Do I believe Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordy were knocking them down, two, three at a time. Yup. But what is the line from a 'good' time into a participant catching a beating behind some lewd shit. :shrug:

Yea idk, justice deferred is still justice, in a sense. It's been so long we'd just end up feeling that it didn't have to be like that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

.....Jenna Ortega has dropped out of Scream 7. I am unsurprised.

According to reports, it's due to her having no deal in place (that sounds like nonsense) or that she asked for more money (that sounds more plausible).

I know there's been rumors for about a year now that she might have to drop out of Scream because of scheduling but it's interesting the news is coming a day after Melissa Barrera got hooked.

That being said, I guess this means that the franchise will have to reboot. Or maybe they will call Neve Campbell back..LOL.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-22-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Eh

When you work, you don't comment on religion, politics, or sex.

I don't feel sorry for stupid, just keep your mouth shut.
    I don't agree.

Hollywood folk have always spoken up about certain causes without any consequences. Or rather the consequences have been dependent on what they are speaking about and who is taking offense.

So much so that actors marched with civil rights leaders back in the day to them participating in literal adverts about support for gay rights and black lives matter in recent times. Admittedly a lot of it is cringe but cringe shouldn't get people sh!tcanned.

What's happening now is if you speak up about certain "other" causes, you get cancelled. Immediately. It seems more like about sending a message to the actors. Susan Sarandon also got dropped by her agency for pro-Palestine comments as well. This is also strange because she's been politically outspoken for decades.

Edit. : I'm not even defending Melissa Barrera because I've been giving her the side eye since she gave an interview about the lack of afro-latinas in "In the Heights", just that Hollywood is operating on terrible hypocrisy.
    Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman have made far more incendiary comments without losing any work. To say nothing of the numerous abusers and rapists Hollywood has protected for so long and still protects.