Page 795 of 828 FirstFirst ... 295695745785791792793794795796797798799805 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,925 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman have made far more incendiary comments without losing any work. To say nothing of the numerous abusers and rapists Hollywood has protected for so long and still protects.
    Absolutely.

Julianna Margulies just made some pretty incendiary comments about black lesbians and how they are supporting Palestine and apart from black twitter, no one seems to even care (yet).

It's a terrible double standard and Hollywood does not treat people equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    .....Jenna Ortega has dropped out of Scream 7. I am unsurprised.

According to reports, it's due to her having no deal in place (that sounds like nonsense) or that she asked for more money (that sounds more plausible).

I know there's been rumors for about a year now that she might have to drop out of Scream because of scheduling but it's interesting the news is coming a day after Melissa Barrera got hooked.

That being said, I guess this means that the franchise will have to reboot. Or maybe they will call Neve Campbell back..LOL.
    What reports? Here and here say its due to her Wednesday filming schedule.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    What reports? Here and here say its due to her Wednesday filming schedule.
    Yes, that's what I said.

I know there's been rumors for about a year now that she might have to drop out of Scream because of scheduling but it's interesting the news is coming a day after Melissa Barrera got hooked.

Yes, that's what I said.

.....Jenna Ortega has dropped out of Scream 7. I am unsurprised.

According to reports, it's due to her having no deal in place (that sounds like nonsense) or that she asked for more money (that sounds more plausible).
    ...hence me asking "what reports?" If you THINK that's what's happening that's a different story and I agree, but you said reports.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    ...hence me asking "what reports?" If you THINK that's what's happening that's a different story and I agree, but you said reports.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ii-1235675434/

Sources insist that Ortega’s departure has nothing to do with Barrera’s firing, which occurred after she made dozens of social media posts referring to the Israel-Hamas war. Sources say that Ortega’s representatives informed Spyglass prior to the actors strike that the actress, one of the biggest young Hollywood names to emerge in the past decade, would not be returning. Multiple sources say the actress either had no deal or, in the renegotiating of her option, asked what the movie company deemed was too much money.
    (I actually forgot where I read the original report).
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-22-2023 at 02:23 PM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ii-1235675434/

(I actually forgot where I read the original report).
    Fair enough. But yeah its entirely possible without a deal in place + Barrera fired = she said "the price has gone UP!" And *if so* I can't say I blame her she's very much in demand right now. Besides Wednesday she's in Beetlejuice 2.

The whole discourse around The Marvels bombing I must say has been OVER THE TOP. It's happening like this because it's a movie with minority female-leads and minority female director. Seriously, even Stephen King who isn't into comic book movies or culture noticed how caustic the whole thing is.

Yes, the movie has been a historic bomb (a lot of people already saw it coming) but "reputable" trades like "The Hollywood Reporter" and even "Variety" seem to be putting out hit pieces on Nia DaCosta. Seriously, Variety mentioned that DaCosta started shooting a movie when The Marvels was in pre-production which a LOT of people in the industry have come out to say is absolutely normal practice. The latest is The Hollywood Reporter said that DaCosta missed a screening for The Marvels, only for us to find out she actually went to a birthday event...HER OWN BIRTHDAY . So, why is THR is even reporting that sort of nonsense? I'm not even going to address the Washington Post review of The Marvels which was flat out sexist (unironically, reviews like that justified what Brie Larson said about the critics pool).

It looks like the "Nerdrotics/Geeks and Gamers" types are now involved in "mainstream discourse". I'm not at all trying to exaggerate here, it really does look like their types are working at major trades these days. A lot of people seem to be taking a victory lap over The Marvels failing not just because it's a superhero movie but it's a superhero movie with female leads directed by a black woman. We saw a similar thing to A Wrinkle in Time but on a lower scale.

Now, I am not defending Marvel/Disney here (they've made a rod for their own back with some their very, very dumb decisions) but that doesn't justify the absolute double-standard that's being echoed in the mainstream. This stuff has pretty severe consequences particularly for minority and female actors and creators. An example of some of these double standards is the completely unhinged reaction to Rachel Zelger. The young lady has admittedly said some ridiculous stuff, but another actor-Jacob Elordi, just said some very, very dumb sh!t recently (he literally took a dump on his previous projects), and people aren't going on him in the same way they did with Rachel Zegler. This is a guy that's acts Euphoria but said that playing Superman was "too dark for him" . Make it make sense. Another example of this, is when some folks called out Chris Pratt for his religious beliefs, some of his Marvel co-stars all sprung to his defense, whereas when Brie Larson got literal hate campaigns directed towards her, the only person that defended her from the Marvel side was Samuel L. Jackson, not a peep from her co-stars.
    I agree that the tone of conversation has definitely taken on this kind of harshly negative vibe that I'm not really comfortable with. Like, thinking back, I feel like I haven't felt misogyny so clearly crossing into my realm of interests since Anita Sarkeesian made some rather tame and reasonable comments about video games and people lost their shit over it.

I feel like some of it has to be probably owed to the reality that it is a low percentage of the general population that would ever even in theory be happy about Marvel comics superheroes dominating mainstream entertainment; so regardless of how well IW and Endgame did, you have to think the majority of the mainstream audience never wanted to see superhero stuff all over the place at all, so pairing that with just wanting to predict the end of the streak or the fall of the giant or whatever ... that all definitely contributes to how every new MCU project has a litany of declarations of how it is so awful it's the end of the MCU, from its first trailers till its last episode.

It isn't just that, though. Like, I hadn't paid attention to Madame Web coming up, as I am not particularly a fan of the character, but I think the trailer looks decent, and it caught my attention because the movie include Mattie Franklin and Anya Corazon, who I have been a fan of in the past. And I thought it was cool, because all of the included Spider-Women are obscure enough characters that I definitely wouldn't see them getting their own live-action.

I mean, I wasn't in love with it or anything, but at least mildly interested. But man ... like, the CBR thread for that movie is nothing but blind hate. It is very similar to the nonstop DOOM about The Marvels that has dominated that thread.

And like, I feel like whether a given individual is necessarily excited for or enjoys either of these projects isn't the point. I don't like the vast majority of the entertainment produced in the world; enough so that I can't be bothered to be aware of most of it. And I definitely don't devote a lot of time to going on about ... how much I don't like various things?

I mean, I feel like it would be weird, if I somehow had the time and energy to go around to the message boards of like Ed Sheeran or Daft Punk or whoever, just to say how much I'm not a fan of their work. Or like, went to Death Metal forums to proclaim that none of it is music and none of the artists have talent. Like, why would I do that?

But yeah, some people seem pretty libidinous about declaring female-led superhero movies to be horrible failures. It's weird.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I agree that the tone of conversation has definitely taken on this kind of harshly negative vibe that I'm not really comfortable with. Like, thinking back, I feel like I haven't felt misogyny so clearly crossing into my realm of interests since Anita Sarkeesian made some rather tame and reasonable comments about video games and people lost their shit over it.

I feel like some of it has to be probably owed to the reality that it is a low percentage of the general population that would ever even in theory be happy about Marvel comics superheroes dominating mainstream entertainment; so regardless of how well IW and Endgame did, you have to think the majority of the mainstream audience never wanted to see superhero stuff all over the place at all, so pairing that with just wanting to predict the end of the streak or the fall of the giant or whatever ... that all definitely contributes to how every new MCU project has a litany of declarations of how it is so awful it's the end of the MCU, from its first trailers till its last episode.

It isn't just that, though. Like, I hadn't paid attention to Madame Web coming up, as I am not particularly a fan of the character, but I think the trailer looks decent, and it caught my attention because the movie include Mattie Franklin and Anya Corazon, who I have been a fan of in the past. And I thought it was cool, because all of the included Spider-Women are obscure enough characters that I definitely wouldn't see them getting their own live-action.

I mean, I wasn't in love with it or anything, but at least mildly interested. But man ... like, the CBR thread for that movie is nothing but blind hate. It is very similar to the nonstop DOOM about The Marvels that has dominated that thread.

And like, I feel like whether a given individual is necessarily excited for or enjoys either of these projects isn't the point. I don't like the vast majority of the entertainment produced in the world; enough so that I can't be bothered to be aware of most of it. And I definitely don't devote a lot of time to going on about ... how much I don't like various things?

I mean, I feel like it would be weird, if I somehow had the time and energy to go around to the message boards of like Ed Sheeran or Daft Punk or whoever, just to say how much I'm not a fan of their work. Or like, went to Death Metal forums to proclaim that none of it is music and none of the artists have talent. Like, why would I do that?

But yeah, some people seem pretty libidinous about declaring female-led superhero movies to be horrible failures. It's weird.
    These types have already deluded themselves into thinking that James Gunn isn't woke because he cast a white actor as Jimmy Olsen - even though the actor in question is not a redhead, like every other white actor who's played Jimmy.

Incredible Member

The whole discourse around The Marvels bombing I must say has been OVER THE TOP. It's happening like this because it's a movie with minority female-leads and minority female director. Seriously, even Stephen King who isn't into comic book movies or culture noticed how caustic the whole thing is.

Yes, the movie has been a historic bomb (a lot of people already saw it coming) but "reputable" trades like "The Hollywood Reporter" and even "Variety" seem to be putting out hit pieces on Nia DaCosta. Seriously, Variety mentioned that DaCosta started shooting a movie when The Marvels was in pre-production which a LOT of people in the industry have come out to say is absolutely normal practice. The latest is The Hollywood Reporter said that DaCosta missed a screening for The Marvels, only for us to find out she actually went to a birthday event...HER OWN BIRTHDAY . So, why is THR is even reporting that sort of nonsense? I'm not even going to address the Washington Post review of The Marvels which was flat out sexist (unironically, reviews like that justified what Brie Larson said about the critics pool).

It looks like the "Nerdrotics/Geeks and Gamers" types are now involved in "mainstream discourse". I'm not at all trying to exaggerate here, it really does look like their types are working at major trades these days. A lot of people seem to be taking a victory lap over The Marvels failing not just because it's a superhero movie but it's a superhero movie with female leads directed by a black woman. We saw a similar thing to A Wrinkle in Time but on a lower scale.

Now, I am not defending Marvel/Disney here (they've made a rod for their own back with some their very, very dumb decisions) but that doesn't justify the absolute double-standard that's being echoed in the mainstream. This stuff has pretty severe consequences particularly for minority and female actors and creators. An example of some of these double standards is the completely unhinged reaction to Rachel Zelger. The young lady has admittedly said some ridiculous stuff, but another actor-Jacob Elordi, just said some very, very dumb sh!t recently (he literally took a dump on his previous projects), and people aren't going on him in the same way they did with Rachel Zegler. This is a guy that's acts Euphoria but said that playing Superman was "too dark for him" . Make it make sense. Another example of this, is when some folks called out Chris Pratt for his religious beliefs, some of his Marvel co-stars all sprung to his defense, whereas when Brie Larson got literal hate campaigns directed towards her, the only person that defended her from the Marvel side was Samuel L. Jackson, not a peep from her co-stars.
    Even the more progressive parts of the fanbase are now flinging mud at Disney, and want their White male Status quo back.

It's a really frustrating time. The Marvels being poorly received and bombing, Wish which has given Disney their first rotten score since the mid 00s, and isn't looking to fair much better at the B.O. Cap 4 has to have massive reshoots.etc It does feel like the future may become bleak for POC/women lead major films. It also really seems there's a major lack of effort not only when it comes to story and writing, but in terms of marketing as well. They basically sent Strange Worlds out to die last year.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Even the more progressive parts of the fanbase are now flinging mud at Disney, and want their White male Status quo back.

It's a really frustrating time. The Marvels being poorly received and bombing, Wish which has given Disney their first rotten score since the mid 00s, and isn't looking to fair much better at the B.O. Cap 4 has to have massive reshoots.etc It does feel like the future may become bleak for POC/women lead major films. It also really seems there's a major lack of effort not only when it comes to story and writing, but in terms of marketing as well. They basically sent Strange Worlds out to die last year.
    Agreed with all of this.

Disney/Marvel really need to do better overall. Strange World was given little promotion and it seems like Disney's marketing machine as a whole is faltering. I guess that's partially because they are putting out too much stuff. Their "tentpole all the time" strategy isn't going to work in the post-pandemic era. It's to the point that their movies are literally cannibalizing themselves. The Marvels had a number of mitigating circumstances but even if the movie got good word of mouth, there are a ton of articles on how it's a flop/bomb/chaotic production etc. There's no way the general public will want to spend their money to see a movie that's surrounded by so much negativity.

I also agree that even so-called progressive folks are really laying into Disney now. This will end up being a problem because apart from Disney, no major studio has shown any real commitment to putting out big budget minority and female led projects that aren't animated (As much as we tout Barbie, that film is an anomaly plus Barbie is one of the most popular brands on Earth). WB put out Wonder Woman and Blue Beetle but Disney has across the board given a LOT of opportunities to minority and female actors and creators. People forget that Sony/Columbia didn't want Denzel Washington to act The Equalizer because he's a black man. There are already voices inside Disney that want them to stop this "woke" stuff and if those people get their way, we can say bye bye to any projects like Black Panther in the future (after The Marvels debacle, I don't think we are getting anything Captain Marvel in a featured role again). That ultimately means less opportunities in those spaces for minority and female creators and actors. At this point, it does look like the anti-woke crowd are winning (and the "reputable" outlets that are supposed to know better are joining in spreading the nonsense lately). Hollywood doesn't treat all creators the same and, in many cases, they tend to recycle the same minority actors even in roles they aren't appropriate for (for example, it seems Hollywood only knows 3 Hispanic actors- Pedro Pascal, Oscar Isaac and Benecio Del Toro). Despite what the anti-woke crowd think, black actors still don't get that many opportunities. As popular as Michael B. Jordan is, a lot of his projects are actually stuff he produces. Tyler Perry and "Tubi" are the avenues for work for a lot of black actors.

All this being said, Disney/Marvel really, REALLY need to get their act together. We all know how tightly Marvel controls their movies but whatever dictate/mandate they are giving their film makers needs to change at this point. We are already hearing negative things about the next Captain America movie (that's another project that sounds very, very strange) and it's postponed into 2025 or something. If they are going to put out minority led projects, then the work has to be put into it to make it great. They need to get it together because just having the Marvel logo in front of a movie isn't doing it anymore. Especially now when the "culture" has very much turned against them.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-24-2023 at 10:56 AM.

and "Tubi" are the avenues for work for a lot of black actors.
    The Tubiverse is it's own entity, they for the (streaming) streets. Yet even the streets understand that these movies are overwhelmingly terrible. It's like the producers of these things didn't come up on actual studio productions. The violence is off camera, there is no nudity even though some of the titles are some of the most salacious ever and the really turrible ones seem like they are shot at motels. It could be a really good springboard into real independent stuff but it's by and large they're just time killers. I really want to see what a contract looks like to produce one of these things.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

Agreed with all of this.

Disney/Marvel really need to do better overall. Strange World was given little promotion and it seems like Disney's marketing machine as a whole is faltering. I guess that's partially because they are putting out too much stuff. Their "tentpole all the time" strategy isn't going to work in the post-pandemic era. It's to the point that their movies are literally cannibalizing themselves. The Marvels had a number of mitigating circumstances but even if the movie got good word of mouth, there are a ton of articles on how it's a flop/bomb/chaotic production etc. There's no way the general public will want to spend their money to see a movie that's surrounded by so much negativity.

I also agree that even so-called progressive folks are really laying into Disney now. This will end up being a problem because apart from Disney, no major studio has shown any real commitment to putting out big budget minority and female led projects that aren't animated (As much as we tout Barbie, that film is an anomaly plus Barbie is one of the most popular brands on Earth). WB put out Wonder Woman and Blue Beetle but Disney has across the board given a LOT of opportunities to minority and female actors and creators. People forget that Sony/Columbia didn't want Denzel Washington to act The Equalizer because he's a black man. There are already voices inside Disney that want them to stop this "woke" stuff and if those people get their way, we can say bye bye to any projects like Black Panther in the future (after The Marvels debacle, I don't think we are getting anything Captain Marvel in a featured role again). That ultimately means less opportunities in those spaces for minority and female creators and actors. At this point, it does look like the anti-woke crowd are winning (and the "reputable" outlets that are supposed to know better are joining in spreading the nonsense lately). Hollywood doesn't treat all creators the same and, in many cases, they tend to recycle the same minority actors even in roles they aren't appropriate for (for example, it seems Hollywood only knows 3 Hispanic actors- Pedro Pascal, Oscar Isaac and Benecio Del Toro). Despite what the anti-woke crowd think, black actors still don't get that many opportunities. As popular as Michael B. Jordan is, a lot of his projects are actually stuff he produces. Tyler Perry and "Tubi" are the avenues for work for a lot of black actors.

All this being said, Disney/Marvel really, REALLY need to get their act together. We all know how tightly Marvel controls their movies but whatever dictate/mandate they are giving their film makers needs to change at this point. We are already hearing negative things about the next Captain America movie (that's another project that sounds very, very strange) and it's postponed into 2025 or something. If they are going to put out minority led projects, then the work has to be put into it to make it great. They need to get it together because just having the Marvel logo in front of a movie isn't doing it anymore. Especially now when the "culture" has very much turned against them.
    I agree with alot of this. The only thing I slightly disagree with is the idea that Disney/MCU might be in trouble because "The Marvels" was a flop. Movies flop all the all time. Heck, Inhumans was supposed to be the next big franchise and it failed and none of the grifters said anything about it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The Tubiverse is it's own entity, they for the (streaming) streets. Yet even the streets understand that these movies are overwhelmingly terrible. It's like the producers of these things didn't come up on actual studio productions. The violence is off camera, there is no nudity even though some of the titles are some of the most salacious ever and the really turrible ones seem like they are shot at motels. It could be a really good springboard into real independent stuff but it's by and large they're just time killers. I really want to see what a contract looks like to produce one of these things.
    I've clicked on some of those Tubi movies and bailed after 20 mins. I'm like, did someone shoot this on their phone?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I've clicked on some of those Tubi movies and bailed after 20 mins. I'm like, did someone shoot this on their phone?
    No question. Not even a couple iPhone's either and they look like they're on stands sometimes. Now I have been pulled in now on a couple of occasions, there are a couple that have some closeups mixed in but it's so much of the same thing. Even finding that 20 minutes takes effort, it's like a scavenger hunt for mid. They must put out 2 a month also.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Lolol...Tubi is only good for generating meme material.

That's about the only good thing about those films.