Page 802 of 828 FirstFirst ... 302702752792798799800801802803804805806812 ... LastLast
Results 12,016 to 12,030 of 12416
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I kind of liked Diddy-Dirty Money. My brother was obsessed with Danity Kane for their brief time in the spotlight.
    Danity Kane seemed to be the "next big thing" for a brief while there.

I believe they got a couple of number 1 albums. All this until Puff cut two or so of them from the group (I can't remember why).

Interestingly, Aubrey O'Day had been saying some stuff about Puff but she's someone that's said a ton of stuff so it's difficult to know what's true or not.

EDIT: The board is insanely slow. It's like the old dial-up days.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Danity Kane seemed to be the "next big thing" for a brief while there.

I believe they got a couple of number 1 albums. All this until Puff cut two or so of them from the group (I can't remember why).

Interestingly, Aubrey O'Day had been saying some stuff about Puff but she's someone that's said a ton of stuff so it's difficult to know what's true or not.

EDIT: The board is insanely slow. It's like the old dial-up days.
    There are a lot of 2000s and early 2010s acts that seemed to be everywhere when I was in high school and then just vanished after that. Still, I'm glad I knew them at all.

An hour-long video on the complexities of interracial dating. It examines and breaks down a lot of misconceptions and views.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-23-2023 at 05:24 AM.

Invincible Member

An hour-long video on the complexities of interracial dating. It examines and breaks down a lot of misconceptions and views.
    I saw this when he uploaded it. FD isn't perfect but he sometimes makes good points. Having said that, it's problematic that uses phrases like "bunny hopping" more than once.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I saw this when he uploaded it. FD isn't perfect but he sometimes makes good points. Having said that, it's problematic that uses phrases like "bunny hopping" more than once.
    Why is it problematic?

I'm genuinely curious because FD is very very careful with his use of words.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-23-2023 at 03:02 PM.

Invincible Member

Why is it problematic?

I'm genuinely curious because FD is very very careful with his use of words.
    He usually is, but I think on this matter he might have a blind spot.

And I'd say because it's a borderline microaggression. People don't say it much now but "jungle bunny" was a mild slur against black folks back in the day. Black women started saying "snow bunny" and "playing in the snow" to refer to BM/WW interracial couples. It of course doesn't carry the same historical weight but still...

If I was a crazy pop star and I was bragging about all the women I slept with, people would let it side..."Oh, bro...I bang black bitches, snow bunnies, Chinese hoes...I'm fuckin' all them broads!"

But would HD say to Cornell West or Henry Louis Gates, "So you do a lot of work for civil rights...how does that work with you bunny hopping?" Or better yet, over the years there's been a number of black folks in this board who either dated or married or have moms that are white women...if you said to them face to face, "So your wife's a snow bunny? I guess that's cool..." you're risking getting punched in the face.
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-23-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He usually is, but I think on this matter he might have a blind spot.

And I'd say because it's a borderline microaggression. People don't say it much now but "jungle bunny" was a mild slur against black folks back in the day. Black women started saying "snow bunny" and "playing in the snow" to refer to BM/WW interracial couples. It of course doesn't carry the same historical weight but still...

If I was a crazy pop star and I was bragging about all the women I slept with, people would let it side..."Oh, bro...I bang black bitches, snow bunnies, Chinese hoes...I'm fuckin' all them broads!"

But would HD say to Cornell West or Henry Louis Gates, "So you do a lot of work for civil rights...how does that work with you bunny hopping?" Or better yet, over the years there's been a number of black folks in this board who either dated or married or have moms that are white women...if you said to them face to face, "So your wife's a snow bunny? I guess that's cool..." you're risking getting punched in the face.
    He used the term "Bunny Hopping" twice or thrice in the video and he quoted Umar Johnson the first time (and was addressing the passport and social media bros the second time).

He used the term within the context of what he was addressing specifically, he didn't use the term from his perspective in the video. Honestly, outside of Umar Johnson, I never heard it used for interracial coupling.

We always used it in gaming and it's been in use in that area for well over 10 years now. Needless to say, I don't find his use of the term offensive at all in the video but I guess we will disagree on that.

EDIT: Just to correct myself a bit, FD did mention "hopping" a bit more in the video but I really don't consider it offensive.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-23-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

I watched Barbie in its totality (my wife made me sit down and watch the movie).

Needless to say, I didn't get the movie at all. I had to force myself to finish the film. Anyone arguing this film wasn't "woke" hasn't seen the movie. Disney can't release a film as progressive as Barbie, not in a million years.

I'm definitely not the target audience but I will commend the film makers inclusion of diversity. They really didn't have to do that so that's a good thing I guess.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-23-2023 at 06:21 PM.

I watched Barbie in its totality (my wife made me sit down and watch the movie).

Needless to say, I didn't get the movie at all. I had to force myself to finish the film. Anyone arguing this film wasn't "woke" hasn't seen the movie. Disney can't release a film as progressive as Barbie, not in a million years.

I'm definitely not the target audience but I will commend the film makers inclusion of diversity. They really didn't have to do that so that's a good thing I guess.
    My very liberal friend went with his wife and even he went "that was a lot" haha
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    My very liberal friend went with his wife and even he went "that was a lot" haha
    Absolutely..

Virtually single progressive buzzword was used in the film.

People that hate being lectured will really hate this movie because that's exactly what it did at several points. I don't generally have a problem with politics in films (or the politics in Barbie) but a lot of the dialog felt like it was written by social media. It was very Gen-Z to a stereotypical degree which I guess is why the film went insanely viral (im a millenial and in recent times have largely disconnected myself from social media). I found myself somewhat disconnected from everything.

However, there was a montage at the end of the movie with real life imagery that could melt even the strongest of hearts.

Meh. I've only seen a few of his videos shared here, but not such a fan of this one. He cops to the motivation behind the video being kind of a defense against accusations that he's against interracial relationships, based on a tweet about the Miles/Gwen relationship in Spiderverse.

Thing is, while he does clearly allow that technically racially mixed relationships can be balanced and mutually supportive, and ultimately every individual should be free to find love and create relationships based in their own truths ... you know, the majority of the hour-plus video is about the history of racial/sexual violence (and other violence) inflicted on the African American population by white folks.

He essentially states his suspicion that the majority of relationships involving mixed white and black partners are probably problematic on some level, due to all the inherited history and current social/political/economic separations in our cultural identities. Like, I think he's basically saying it's reasonable to give at least something of a side eye to like 90% of interracial relationships, while allowing the possibility of some of the remaining ten percent being genuine and healthy.

Which, like -- honestly, what percentage of all relationships are all that healthy? Not saying that people with shared cultural backgrounds and racial identities may not have fewer hurdles, but ... just my opinion, humans are all generally kind of a mess, so really, good luck making any relationship work, imo.

I'm pretty ambivalent about calls for racial (unity? not purity) on an individual level. I take his point that, on an institutional, cultural level, it's only right and healthy for black people to be drawn to and connect with other black people. And definitely, agreed that people who just dog out their own race (or just the other gender of their own race) do have issues that need working out.

I don't assume a relationship is healthy because the people are of the same race though, and in turn don't assume there is "most likely" something unhealthy in interracial relationships. Yah, of course I'm aware of the history and current realities; none of that means I can assume about the private lives and relationships of complete strangers. I feel like that's a step too far.

Edit: Also, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, to those who celebrate!
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 12-25-2023 at 10:49 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's been obvious since Biggie's death that Puffy was all about self-promotion and he was damn good at it. Every act he created since then was only used to keep him relevant. That's why they never lasted. They were just props.
    This is what I have heard when it comes to Diddy.

You work WITH him but NEVER work for HIM. Because he is all about one person-HIMSELF.

For as much stuff he has done-it's still about him.

Sean John-between that and Rochawear-I have never seen a clothing line ROT on the shelves in stores (at least here) like those two lines. Macy's tried everything to get that stuff to sell and even at clearance prices nobody bought it. Unlike Southpole and even Master P's clothes that kept selling.

As for the artists-aside from 112 and Mase-how many put out more than say 2 albums? 112 I am sure is happy they got their songs rights back.

Wonder what Usher thinks since that is who he was with when he started before he moved to a new label.

Almost makes someone one wonder if he had any honest intentions with some of those kids.
    It's about taking advantage of kids who don't do RESEARCH and only care about being seen. Kirk Franklin did it to God's Property.

I bet he probably did have some good intentions but like with others it went down hill.

I mean how many times have we seen these folks EXPLOIT the black boy with no Dad around with baggage?

Ultimate Member

Funny that didn't happen with the toys outside of ONE black Barbie.

I mean you had the 14th Doctor in your cast-who wouldn't want a doll of him to coplay Dr Who with?

I read the wiki to the movie. How did this movie NOT get attacked???

That just proves the point of it's NOT about the content of the story but WHO is on the cover. If this was done with a black Barbie-do we even need to go there?????

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I don't assume a relationship is healthy because the people are of the same race though, and in turn don't assume there is "most likely" something unhealthy in interracial relationships. Yah, of course I'm aware of the history and current realities; none of that means I can assume about the private lives and relationships of complete strangers. I feel like that's a step too far.

Edit: Also, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, to those who celebrate!
    IME, the "issue" with interractial relationships is usually the family/extended family and friend groups and even freaking strangers tbh.

The side eyes from them are the problems.

The actual person in the relationship is easy

Could just be my experiences though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny that didn't happen with the toys outside of ONE black Barbie.

I mean you had the 14th Doctor in your cast-who wouldn't want a doll of him to coplay Dr Who with?

I read the wiki to the movie. How did this movie NOT get attacked???

That just proves the point of it's NOT about the content of the story but WHO is on the cover. If this was done with a black Barbie-do we even need to go there?????
    Well, let's be fair...the movie has been attacked. At first I hadn't planned on watching it, but now I'm curious.