Page 803 of 828 FirstFirst ... 303703753793799800801802803804805806807813 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 12408
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny that didn't happen with the toys outside of ONE black Barbie.

I mean you had the 14th Doctor in your cast-who wouldn't want a doll of him to coplay Dr Who with?

I read the wiki to the movie. How did this movie NOT get attacked???

That just proves the point of it's NOT about the content of the story but WHO is on the cover. If this was done with a black Barbie-do we even need to go there?????
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, let's be fair...the movie has been attacked. At first I hadn't planned on watching it, but now I'm curious.
    Oh, it definitely got attacked, but those attacks also definitely dropped into a much smaller profile once they saw the film was going to make bank and be popular.

The “War on Woke” grift has a clear habit of ducking and covering once they realize that “go woke = get $$$ and popular” becomes a part of reality, while the smaller group of “true believers” will keep going but be drowned out - often showcasing how much of the movement of just artificial covering for some conscious misogyny or blatant cynical greed.

Their worst nightmares involve repeated successful woke films.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    IME, the "issue" with interractial relationships is usually the family/extended family and friend groups and even freaking strangers tbh.

The side eyes from them are the problems.

The actual person in the relationship is easy

Could just be my experiences though.
    I think this is largely true but there are some exceptions.

I have Puerto-Rican relatives (from my dads side, im married to a black woman) and we've never really had much friction.

Although, this could be because said relatives are in all likelihood multiracial as well because they aren't "white Puerto-Ricans".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, let's be fair...the movie has been attacked. At first I hadn't planned on watching it, but now I'm curious.
    Very true.

Barbie was attacked and there was a pastor that cursed the movie and Disney (he thought Disney made the film..lol). Granted it didn't get the sheer insanity Captain Marvel (this in particular was really unhinged, some of those guys made 100s of videos about that film) or The Little Mermaid received but the attacks were there.

Barbie's success got some of them doing a 180 and claiming the film was anti-woke to cover themselves.

IME, the "issue" with interractial relationships is usually the family/extended family and friend groups and even freaking strangers tbh.

I think that is often a major difficulty for interracial relationships, and from memory one FD only briefly touches on by saying the Miles/Gwen relationship acknowledging their different backgrounds and how that can create problems was good/realistic.

He does not seem to really appreciate that putting an expectation on two people to answer all the racial injustice in our history and all the complexities of conflicts in race and sex and identity -- like, as a qualifier, to say it's okay if the two of you might otherwise be compatible as partners? -- is just an insane and unfair burden, that we don't saddle other couples with.

That's why I say that it's a problem to just automatically suspect that the vast majority of mixed relationships must be somehow racially messed up. That is just a gigantic burden, and frankly a huge academic/educational hurdle to create for these relationships, when we don't place such high standards on others. I mean, the world's effed up racial reality is what it is, and no getting around it -- just saying, I don't think it's fair to require individuals in mixed relationships to have to somehow answer for those injustices, in order to say their relationship is okay.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 12-28-2023 at 04:07 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...emitic-remarks

Kanye West has apologised to “the Jewish community” for a series of antisemitic remarks he made in 2022.

In a statement posted in Hebrew on his Instagram account, where he has 18.2m followers, he wrote (as translated by Google): “I sincerely apologise to the Jewish community … It was not my intention to hurt or demean, and I deeply regret any pain I may have caused. I am committed to starting with myself and learning from this experience to ensure greater sensitivity and understanding in the future. Your forgiveness is important to me, and I am committed to making amends and promoting unity.”
    This man is such a stupid, narcissistic idiot. Everything he says and does is just about him.

He has such a large following and he's spent so much time spreading hatred and stupidity.

The man has completely blown up his career and for what..?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

This man is such a stupid, narcissistic idiot. Everything he says and does is just about him.

He has such a large following and he's spent so much time spreading hatred and stupidity.

Yeah, He went on another rant last week and I think people just aren't having it now with what's going on with the Israeli/Palestine war and hate crimes in America. Now's probably not the best time to be chanting, "Jesus Hitler! Trump is a Zionist!" Somebody in his camp either finally talked some sense into him or maybe his new wife made him take his meds...hence, this apology. I wanna say I read Niki Minaj was going to have her verses removed from one of his new tracks?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

To be fair, he may be seriously mentally ill.

Youtuber Accented Cinema has an 11-minute video on the infamous Steven Seagal and his history of Orientalism both in front and behind the camera. He points out Seagal's history of depicting East Asian and Southeast Asian countries as a lawless, corrupt and exotic land, objectification of Asian women, his overall dehumanizing depiction of Asian people and Seagal's Mighty Whitey tendencies.

edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    To be fair, he may be seriously mentally ill.
    he can be mentally ill and still a stupid narcissistic idiot.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

When it comes from your own, you don't know where it's going to arise either. There's definitely a level of fortitude (ontop of everything esle) as a man I feel, it takes as well to deal with and/or confront that pressure. Depends geographically too where you come up, the level of bullshit from the other side that is. It's kind a deterrent in a way. Even if I could brush off looks my own, I ain't no Civics teacher if and when It would come to her side imo. Not in the way I might have to be anyway.

That press is generational too at this point. Now that my peers are Grandparents, albeit on the young side, several of them have a 'Doug' or a 'Kevin' married to the daughter with kids. These young people don't have as much societal baggage as even a dude from the 90s would have. Least not from the outside... then too we didn't have an orange haired boogyman that people tend to still listen too.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Youtuber Accented Cinema has an 11-minute video on the infamous Steven Seagal and his history of Orientalism both in front and behind the camera. He points out Seagal's history of depicting East Asian and Southeast Asian countries as a lawless, corrupt and exotic land, objectification of Asian women, his overall dehumanizing depiction of Asian people and Seagal's Mighty Whitey tendencies.
    The funniest thing about Seagal is he seems to have developed a "blaccent" as he got older. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    When it comes from your own, you don't know where it's going to arise either. There's definitely a level of fortitude (ontop of everything esle) as a man I feel, it takes as well to deal with and/or confront that pressure. Depends geographically too where you come up, the level of bullshit from the other side that is. It's kind a deterrent in a way. Even if I could brush off looks my own, I ain't no Civics teacher if and when It would come to her side imo. Not in the way I might have to be anyway.

That press is generational too at this point. Now that my peers are Grandparents, albeit on the young side, several of them have a 'Doug' or a 'Kevin' married to the daughter with kids. These young people don't have as much societal baggage as even a dude from the 90s would have. Least not from the outside... then too we didn't have an orange haired boogyman that people tend to still listen too.
    The orange haired boogyman at least made people more... transparent.

I don't even know if me and my wife did it on purpose or it was just happenstance but ever since his cult following started and family members got sucked it... we pulled way back hanging around them even though they've never ever ever ever ever have said a racist thing to my knowledge. It just felt wrong, like racism by proxy lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

In minority media stuff, I was going through the Webtoon app and noticed one of the most popular ones was "Ordeal". I had no idea the characters in it were black (it's based in Trinidad but the world history is an alternate history). It's basically a cross between "God of High School" and "My Hero Academia", it starts pretty generic but really picks up as it moves along.

I also started "Killadelphia" by Rodney Barnes. It's another minority-led vampire story, no spoilers but in it, a pretty major figure in US history is a vampire-lord. The art style is pretty unique and it's a very interesting story.

Ultimate Member

It seems Netflix is using AI to generate scripts or something.

A good chunk of their movies are: 1. Heist movies 2. Spy/secret agent movies 3. Sometimes, a weird combination of both.

Also, I feel Kevin Hart is an "ok" comedian but not a great serious actor.