Page 806 of 828 FirstFirst ... 306706756796802803804805806807808809810816 ... LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,090 of 12408
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I watched BMW growing up, the fact that Angela and Shawn were an interracial couple didn't really register to me, at all. It more than likely would have been a bigger deal if the genders were flipped. I don't the show really addressed race all that much, which makes sense given the cast being mostly white, and the reboot was mostly white. I saw that stuff in my family all the time, I had a crush on the pink ranger as a kid (Katherine, not Kimberley), my mom found out, got mad at me and told me I couldn't date white women.
    I know it's a serious topic but, I laughed out at the bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I know it's a serious topic but, I laughed out at the bolded.
    I don't know how she found out, my brother must've told her. When I was in middle school, she made me read a poem to my brother about how black men who date white women are a shame to the community, a thought which still lingers to this day, though no one seems to bat an eye at black women who date white men. I don't even know why she did it. The first girl I asked out was black. My first crushes were black. I don't even hate divestors.

I saw that stuff in my family all the time, I had a crush on the pink ranger as a kid (Katherine, not Kimberley), my mom found out, got mad at me and told me I couldn't date white women.
    Hmmp, had a similar experience even though it wasn't as focused. I can say my Mom's opinion of me did alter after a similar statement, real talk. I didn't have a great deal of Caucasian TV crushes. I had Cosby as a kid so I quietly carried the Lisa Bonet flame for years, an older woman mind you, until Janet Jackson took over.

There was this one show though, on the first TGIF go round, Just the ten of Us. I think it was a spin off of another show but it was this guy who had a bunch of kids and he taught P.E. and they were all girls and the one son. It was a funny show but the two oldest daughters- one was a blonde and the other was early Jamie Lunar and have mercy she was a 12/10. Her content after that show wasn't ever interesting for me to follow in the slightest but for that couple year or so around 1988 mannn, hothothot. AND the show had 2 Freddy Kruger girls, the OG in Langenkamp was one of his daughters and the blonde was in the dream one. I used to record that show just for her.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]Hmmp, had a similar experience even though it wasn't as focused. I can say my Mom's opinion of me did alter after a similar statement, real talk. I didn't have a great deal of Caucasian TV crushes. I had Cosby as a kid so I quietly carried the Lisa Bonet flame for years, an older woman mind you, until Janet Jackson took over.
    Yes!!!!

I had a crush on Lisa Bonet (especially when she still had her braces).

Ultimate Member

I have no memory which family member it was (definitely was not my mom nor my grandparents) but I do remember some more distant relative mentioning I should get a black GF when I was younger.

... I'm half white... so, even at a young age it felt disrespectful as ****.

and it was strongly hinted at in various corners in college (I was ina black scholarship program).

It was part of the reasons I become very disillusioned with the "black side of me" for a very very long time,.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Hmmp, had a similar experience even though it wasn't as focused. I can say my Mom's opinion of me did alter after a similar statement, real talk. I didn't have a great deal of Caucasian TV crushes. I had Cosby as a kid so I quietly carried the Lisa Bonet flame for years, an older woman mind you, until Janet Jackson took over.

There was this one show though, on the first TGIF go round, Just the ten of Us. I think it was a spin off of another show but it was this guy who had a bunch of kids and he taught P.E. and they were all girls and the one son. It was a funny show but the two oldest daughters- one was a blonde and the other was early Jamie Lunar and have mercy she was a 12/10. Her content after that show wasn't ever interesting for me to follow in the slightest but for that couple year or so around 1988 mannn, hothothot. AND the show had 2 Freddy Kruger girls, the OG in Langenkamp was one of his daughters and the blonde was in the dream one. I used to record that show just for her.
    Yeah, Just the Ten Of Us came on early TGIF years and was a spin-off of Growing Pains.
    Dennis Haysbert, aka the black President from 24 and the “your in good hands with Allstate,” got a start on that show.
    The 4 oldest white daughters were suppose to be 16, the twins that were blonde one and the busty one at 15, and then 14 year old one.

Most of my fellow black friends had a crush on Six from the tv show Blossom.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-20-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Most of my fellow black friends had a crush on Six from the tv show Blossom.
    Its funny, when folks talk about childhood crushes, Topenga is typically #1. I mention Six from Blossom, I typically get "who?" and then I say "Stevie from The Parkers" "Oh!"

I watched BMW growing up, the fact that Angela and Shawn were an interracial couple didn't really register to me, at all. It more than likely would have been a bigger deal if the genders were flipped. I don't the show really addressed race all that much, which makes sense given the cast being mostly white, and the reboot was mostly white. I saw that stuff in my family all the time, I had a crush on the pink ranger as a kid (Katherine, not Kimberley), my mom found out, got mad at me and told me I couldn't date white women.
    I personally liked Maya from Lost Galaxy and Jen from Time Force.

David Alan Grier: White People Might Watch ‘American Society’ and Say They’re ‘Tired of Hearing About Race,’ but ‘We’re Tired of Talking About It’

“Some members of the white community will see it and say, ‘We’re tired of hearing about race.’ Well we’re tired of talking about it,” Grier said. “We’re tired! We’re tied, too. We all want to get past this, but you can only get past it by going through it.”

“There were Black people who were triggered by seeing something that they weren’t ready to admit in themselves,” Smith said. “Like, ‘I’ve never made space for white people in this way.’ But then there are Black people who are like, ‘This is me, this is what I’ve had to do to survive.’ This shows that we’re not a monolith. This art is controversial because it expands what Black art can be and speaks about such a specific side of Blackness and survival that we haven’t really seen before…this micro-aggressive corporate racism.”

Speaking to Variety before the Sundance Film Festival, Libii also addressed his decision to tackle such a sensitive, race-driven issue.

“The subject matter I’m playing with is really sensitive and raw, and people have such strong, visceral feelings about it,” the filmmaker said. “I think means that we’re pointed in the right direction in terms of what we should be talking about. I’m genuinely excited for people to bring that same passion and political conviction into what I think is the more sophisticated and intricate and nuanced conversation that the full film is.”
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-22-2024 at 01:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

That was Brooke Theiss who helped promote the Maxie's World. A doll line from the 1980s. She was Maxie in the commercials. The doll line that spent 7 million in promotion got taken out by you guessed it Mattel with its Jazzie line.

The sisters were in the 3 of the first 4 Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.

The youngest daughter retired and who had done 3 tv series before retiring.

The son has directed Game of Thrones and every episode of Wandavision.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw American Fiction.
    Great movie about how the audience sees the book industry and Hollywood in the black lense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Just saw American Fiction.
    Great movie about how the audience sees the book industry and Hollywood in the black lense.
    I need to see the movie.

It looks very interesting and topical.

Ultimate Member

It's the Jerry Jones impression that killed me.

Ultimate Member

The video is a little too "young" for me but the point is valid.

I am surprised that so many games have the dreads to the side style for black characters.

I don't even know why game developers struggle with black hairstyles. This is one of those things that I legit don't understand.