Page 91 of 827 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191591 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 12391
    Extraordinary Member

I did enjoy the first two Sentinel stories.

The theme of bigotry against an entire group was touched on back in the day.

Those Trask boys ain't sh!t.

However, I feel that CC went way overboard with the persecuted minority angle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I did enjoy the first two Sentinel stories.

The theme of bigotry against an entire group was touched on back in the day.

Those Trask boys ain't sh!t.

However, I feel that CC went way overboard with the persecuted minority angle.
    I actually laughed at that scan.

The Sentinel actually said "end quote" at the end of what it quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hopefully, with the writer being drummed out of the industry, never to be heard from again. Of course, Frank Miller still has a career after writing Holy Terror so who knows if this comic being written today would be enough to sink someone’s career.

One argument that I keep seeing from X-fans is that most mutants are supposed to have harmless mutations and that walking WMDs like Jean, Scott and Ororo are very rare. But to my knowledge this has never been stated within any of the comics at all and any mutant we see is more likely to have a power that can be used in an aggressive manner. Even supposedly safe ones like intangibility and teleportation have been shown to have lethal applications.

Yeah. He and Doom (who is Romani) were part of a villain team up in Acts of Vengeance. In fairness, Magneto did turn on the Skull and imprisoned him in an underground bunker.
    If the writer is a big enough name they might be able to pull it off without little more than the usual social media hounding. With the mutants who get the spotlight you'd think that being a WMD was the norm. And I've seen more than a few X related discussions that turn even the most mundane power into a deadly weapon. That being said if you're fighting aliens and killer robots you would definitely want some real firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The metaphor only works in the vaguest way ( for gays, jews, other minorities). When you try to draw too close of a parallel then it falls apart. People keep forgetting ( or don't know) that Stan and Jack didn't create the X-Men to be symbols for anything. The metaphor for marginalized groups is something that got added years later.
    I always try to inform people that the minority metaphor was tacked on later. Quick and simple way to explain superpowers was the original intent if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The funniest thing about that ridiculous mutant metaphor is how some white X-fans insist on explaining to actual minorities what discrimination is.

I've actually given up on the discussion on the X-boards. Being a freckled, thin, pale skinned dork is light years away from having the cops called on you, cops harass you, cops kill you, miss out on jobs because of color, get bullied by some armed maniacs e.t.c
    Well you know how could we compare our harassment, incarceration, and unjust killings with being disliked for having superpowers.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The only mutants that make any sense to me at all are Morlocks.
    Yep.

Which his why I prefer my xmen comic stories just to be super hero stories lol.

once they start diggin in the "hated and feared because minorities!' crap, i'm out.

movies have tended to handle it a bit better.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

A bit off topic, but something I've noticed is that DC and Marvel both have bad approaches to "fantastic racism" https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...antasticRacism but in opposite ways. Marvel has the aforementioned issues with the mutant metaphor. DC's issue is that fantastic racism is never acknowledged when it's done by the heroes. Heroes with rules against killing (most notably Superman and Batman) have zero issue tearing through sentient beings like robots or aliens. Supes at one point even stated that his rule doesn't apply to machines. Good thing Red Tornado wasn't around to hear that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Every time Disney goes outside of their fantasy comfort zone, they blow it. Tron, Tron:Legacy, John Carter, Tomorrowland (which did so poorly they'll never make tron 3), Atlantis, That's why they bought marvel and star wars in the first place. They used to experiment, when it's not remakes or sequels, they make movies making fun of themselves.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with Disney subsidiary Touchstone Films having a relatively bad decade (for them) while Marvel ramped up its output around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Kanye's eyes are wide open now guys! good to go!

(real close to his album coming out)

lol
    Something I saw on facebook that I thought was worth sharing. Mr. Howze writes sci-fi/fantasy/speculative fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus Howze View Post
    Three things:

FIRST: I am blocking Frank Yeiger who decided my commentary regarding Kanye West was something that needed to be deleted. Okay, brother. I am not for you so let's unfriend you and move on.

SECOND: In a thread regarding Kanye West's sudden rejection of Trump, someone had the nerve to suggest this - "Andrew Hamilton-Thomas Kyle Hapgood Thaddeus Howze as opposed to dragging Ye, how about reaching out to the brother? None of y'all hadn't noticed he's never been quite the same since his mother died?"
    "But instead we just clowned him when he got seduced by the alt-right instead of trying to rescue him back like a parent trying fight that get their child out of a gang they'd joined."

THIRD: Andrew Hamilton-Thomas I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me, so let me make things abundantly clear...
    I am a Black man in America, the same as Kanye West with one vital and important difference: I am not under any delusion about which team I play for. When I get up in the morning, I am Black in America, the same America which enslaved my ancestors. The same America which is perfectly willing to put a bullet in my Black ass or lock me in a prison for the rest of my life without a moment's notice.

I don't even have to have committed a crime. All I have to do is "fit the description." All I have to do is be: driving, walking, sleeping, eating, waiting, shopping, swimming, partying, celebrating, getting up out of my bed when I hear the door opening, WHILE BLACK.
    The threat of my superhuman magnificence causes fear in highly armed, supposedly well-trained police officers who will kill me as look at me, even while I am unarmed, while fully-armed White murderers who have just walked through a church, a movie-theater, a school, a concert, or any place they damn well please, murder anyone they want and still manage to be taken ALIVE, often without a scratch.

So spare me the poor Kayne speech. Spare me the his mother died and he lost his mind, we should be gathering around this brother with his millions and his affiliation to the world's richest, most powerful and dishonest men and support him. GTFOH. My mother died in a cancer ward, so did my father. I PERSISTED. I joined the military and found my way in the world. I didn't cozy up to White people who sought to use me to help disenfranchise my brothers and sisters no matter what color, race, creed, religion or sexual orientation they were.

I went out and became a teacher rather than a rapper because I though it might make the world a better place rather than a worse one. I have depression, a medically treatable condition. I got help.

I took my life in my own hands. Without millions of dollars. Without the blessings of White pussy taking over my every thought process. I found a way to get help.
    **** Kanye and anyone who thinks I should feel even a scrap of sympathy for him in any way. He chooses to claim genius over getting help. Proclaiming Trump as the Omni-messiah over realizing our world is screwed up and he hasn't helped to make it a better place, not one bit.

Don't ever bring that bullshit to my door again, sir. EVER.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Speaking of Jack, did he ever have anything to say about Claremont making Magneto Jewish?
    Not as far as I know. Jack was more angry at being screwed over by management at the big two rather than what other creators have done with his characters after he left those companies.

For what it's worth...Stan, Jack, and Chris are all Jewish.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    If the writer is a big enough name they might be able to pull it off without little more than the usual social media hounding. With the mutants who get the spotlight you'd think that being a WMD was the norm. And I've seen more than a few X related discussions that turn even the most mundane power into a deadly weapon. That being said if you're fighting aliens and killer robots you would definitely want some real firepower.

I always try to inform people that the minority metaphor was tacked on later. Quick and simple way to explain superpowers was the original intent if I'm not mistaken.

Well you know how could we compare our harassment, incarceration, and unjust killings with being disliked for having superpowers.
    That's what Stan said back in the 70's. He didn't mention anything to do with racism or the civil rights movement.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Something I saw on facebook that I thought was worth sharing. Mr. Howze writes sci-fi/fantasy/speculative fiction.
    But, but...Ye said racism is an invisible wall!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But, but...Ye said racism is an invisible wall!
    Ye also said to keep it 300 like the Romans. So maybe Ye doesn't know or understand a lot of ****. Maybe his ass should have stayed in college.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The funniest thing about that ridiculous mutant metaphor is how some white X-fans insist on explaining to actual minorities what discrimination is.

I've actually given up on the discussion on the X-boards. Being a freckled, thin, pale skinned dork is light years away from having the cops called on you, cops harass you, cops kill you, miss out on jobs because of color, get bullied by some armed maniacs e.t.c
    One thing-we have seen racists go after BLACK mutants with no FEAR. Even after knowing they had powers.

As we saw with Synch in Generation X-all his pals appeared out of nowhere in a redneck town through a portal. Everyone including Angelo and Chamber ran by them untouched.
    Synch comes out and get a can of Austin 3:16 opened on him.

The mutants get used because it’s a thin veiled weapon to talk about that subject without using actually POC-who are NOT mutants. It’s being SAFE to the snowflakes who don’t want to see politics in comics LOL.
    No one wants to have that REAL conversation about discrimination.

No one at marvel editorial would approve a story with this scene in it-

A race riot happened in New York over say Judge (from Miles’s book) getting shot by a white cop for no reason at all. Cyclops or Emma makes some comment about discrimination.

From the crowd comes Judge and he walks up right to them and says….
    You are a MUTANT-you guys have the power to destroy the WORLD. We are supposed to FEAR you. I am a black male with NO powers. And folks fear me ENOUGH to call the cops, shoot at me, lie on me and exclude me based on my SKIN COLOR. This all started over SKIN COLOR. NONE of us have the power to destroy like you guys.”

Then he walks off and every POC hero there follows behind.

I think another reason why the mutant metaphor falls on its face is because so many of them could "pass" by just not using their powers.

Extraordinary Member

I realized another connection between John Stewart, and James Rhodes. Both owe their superhero careers to Denny O'Neil.

Denny is the co-creator of John Stewart. Denny also wrote the Iron Man story that introduced Obadiah Stane, Tony Stark's second bout with alcoholism which led to James donning the armor for an extended period.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think another reason why the mutant metaphor falls on its face is because so many of them could "pass" by just not using their powers.
    The more specific LGBT discrimination metaphor still seems valid.