Page 99 of 824 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199599 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

To paraphrase what I saw in another thread, white supremacy and institutionalized racism is very much an American thing. White manifest destiny (which is one of the pillars of White Supremacy) is very much an American philosophy that was just adopted by the Europeans. Nazi Germany, Racist South Africa e.t.c were simply inspired by what they saw in the US, the US is the home and originator of violent, institutionalized, anti-minority terrorism. And it has never stopped because too many non-minorities simply turn a blind eye to it. That ultimately is what pushed Trump into power, he's saying what they really feel and are too afraid to say publicly. As Dave Chapelle said, Trump didn't suddenly make America more racist, he's only singing their greatest hits.
    The bottom part seems like a bit of an exaggeration, unless i am misreading it a bit.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You sometimes see fantasy worlds where nearly everybody can do some magic, but few can do the big stuff. I'm thinking Fritz Lieber type of stuff.

But so much of Fantasy is based off of Tolkien for whom mages were higher beings just pretending to be human to work with them better, and Dunedain, who are like a separate, higher version of Humans.

Then throw in your Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits with Orcs at the bottom.

The best a normal Human could do in the world of Tolkien power/skillwise is end up like Faramir or Boromir.

IMO, Tolken wasn't so much about chosen ones as he was about these people are better than these other people by definition.
    You hit the nail on the head when it comes to Tolkien. When I was a kid and first watched The Lord of the Rings I was obsessed with Tolkien's work. Now as an adult I look back on it as being so banal and black/white with it's morality and philosophy. It's also quite racist as well, there are POC in Middle Earth but they're all vassals of Sauron who are summoned to fight for him against the forces of good. But Tolkien's work influenced pretty much every work of fantasy to come after it in one way or another, similar to how Lovecraft was blatantly racist but no one else was as influential to modern horror fiction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The bottom part seems like a bit of an exaggeration, unless i am misreading it a bit.
    Maybe a bit.

But I literally cannot think of another country that held onto racism from slavery through to segregation for as long as the US did. That sort of thing leaves a very deep mark on the country's psyche. But the part about apartheid and co isn't an exaggeration, those guys were heavily influenced by what they saw in the US.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But whenever we bring up the subject of mental health, the same Republicans say that we don't have the money in the budget for it.
    This is just my opinion, but funding and de-emphasizing the stigma of seeking treatment for mental health may solve a lot of issues with gun violence, domestic violence, and substance abuse. I believe we might see a decrease in recidivism.

It pains me to say this, but this country might as well be called the United States of Arkham.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    .....urban dictionary?
    I looked it up on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incel

I just looked it up on urban dictionary.

Not sure why I did not go there first....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Sunrise has finally decided to focus on the post CCA section of the Universal Century, if only in small increments, so you may get your wish soon. Also I suppose you can't beat the prospect of an entire race evolving someday. The closest seen in the Gundam metaseries would be the Innovators in Gundam 00 where after the events of the movie most of humanity evolved into Innovators.

Tien can always say that he dated Launch, that counts for something. Also dude went to fight Frieza's army not once but twice.

As a Gohan fan I'm biased but I would've loved to him take over but Goku is just too popular to retire I believe. Still would've been fun to see Gohan the reluctant warrior as the hero of Earth.
    I enjoyed the Gundam 00 series. I have yet to watch the film.

It would have been interesting if they shelved Goku a little bit longer. I actually wanted to see Gohan beat Vegeta one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is just my opinion, but funding and de-emphasizing the stigma of seeking treatment for mental health may solve a lot of issues with gun violence, domestic violence, and substance abuse. I believe we might see a decrease in recidivism.

It pains me to say this, but this country might as well be called the United States of Arkham.
    Not just stigma but also affordable.

Psychiatrist/psychologist are not cheap.

And plus, some of this is bullshit. white males arent the only demographic with mental health issues

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because you have folks who have gotten DRUNK off of what Number 45 and many OTHERS before him have preached.
    POC & LGBT are taking over and you need to FIGHT back.

Doesn't all this mirror what is going on in comics??? How many "folks" have preached SJW is taking over? How many creators of color & LGBT have been attacked by one main demographic?
    I can't why, but your reference got me thinking about the Marvel version of R. Kelly (known for putting an entire group on blast), and an underage girl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I wanna get laaaaaid! Wanna get laid so baaaad! Women don't put out, so now I feel saaaad!
    I'm a straight white male, I don't deserve to fail!
    Why these chicks put out for Chads? Why do they drop skirts for Brads?
    It's not my fault, cuz they're all whores! And I can't stands it anymore!
    Shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot up a bar! I'm gonna drive down there in my mama's car!
    If I can't shoot my load in a girl! Then I'mma shoot my loads at the wooooorld!
    I'm not giving up, all right? (alt right). I still wanna die, even though I'm white.
    Life can never end well! When you deny all your lovin' to a loving incel, oh yeeeeeeeah!

But seriously, all those people should be erased from God's notebook. Sometimes I feel like we all live in an issue of "What if?"
    He clearly did not read the Wolverine handbook on how to pull hot chicks of every ethnicity, nationality, social class, skin tone (literally), etc., despite being short, hairy, un-shaved, unemployed, and dressed like a plaid out cowboy.

The handbook will also show how you can get nasty with your best friend's mom (Mystique), and still be cool with your bro (Nightcrawler).

Folks just don't read enough comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Not just stigma but also affordable.

Psychiatrist/psychologist are not cheap.

And plus, some of this is bullshit. white males arent the only demographic with mental health issues
    You are right about the price for receiving treatment. It should be affordable. These head shrinks are not that different than pharmaceutical companies seeking top dollar over helping those in need.

I agree, it is not just white males. Plenty POC suffer from some of mental illness. That is why I said the stigma of seeking treatment needs to done away with. It should be seen as sign of strength, not weakness. A lot of the violence in the inner city comes from some self-hate which is a form of mental illness, to me.

I singled out white males do to the often conservative/ethnocentric belief that liberals, women, and POC all have self-destructive problems, but them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Consider the plight of poor, poor Tenshihan.

Dude is in canon, a border line hermit that does nothing but train to get stronger.

That means dude was training to get stronger during every series time skip,

What did he get for all that effort?

He's stronger than Yamcha, a dude that stopping trying to catch up by the end of Z.

THAT'S IT.

The minute anybody in Z, Roshi, Krillian, Gohan begins training, no matter how long the layoff was that character will shoot so far past Ten in the power rankings that its hilarious.

In Super Gohan's "I didn't train all, I also forgot how to go Super Sayan and lost all my muscle gains, bro" form is far stronger than Ten who lives to train.

Tenshinan's entire reason for being is futile, its a good thing for him, he doesn't seem to notice
    The sad part is that Tien, Yamcha and Krillin would be God-Tier in a number of shonen, video game or superhero universes based on pure skill alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The sad part is that Tien, Yamcha and Krillin would be God-Tier in a number of shonen, video game or superhero universes based on pure skill alone.
    Yamcha was confused with Saiyan Saga Goku by Gero, you know 'Singlehandedly stalemate life wiper Vegeta' Goku. Yamcha would kick the **** out of a majority of settings.

Yamcha is the only one of the fighters in the group who's won frankly. Hes got a quiet life that doesn't revolve around life-or-death fights where he's definitely going to be murdered since he's not an alien, dude is probably still powerful enough to fight 50% of the JL on even terms and has a enjoyable job as a pro baseball player. All we need is to see him in a happy relationship and he's set.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    As a Gohan fan I'm biased but I would've loved to him take over but Goku is just too popular to retire I believe. Still would've been fun to see Gohan the reluctant warrior as the hero of Earth.
    They could have had totally new characters that didn't just revolve around Goku and Vegeta getting a power boost to stupid levels.

I'd have made the main characters Gohan, Trunks, and Dende. I'd be happy with no Goten at all.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    You hit the nail on the head when it comes to Tolkien. When I was a kid and first watched The Lord of the Rings I was obsessed with Tolkien's work. Now as an adult I look back on it as being so banal and black/white with it's morality and philosophy. It's also quite racist as well, there are POC in Middle Earth but they're all vassals of Sauron who are summoned to fight for him against the forces of good. But Tolkien's work influenced pretty much every work of fantasy to come after it in one way or another, similar to how Lovecraft was blatantly racist but no one else was as influential to modern horror fiction.
    Tolkien is interesting.

As a simple fantasy, good vs evil, type of thing, I find his stuff to be awesome and I wish he was still around writing. His world building is great... I want more stories of the dwarf kingdoms, the bad men, ect. Blue Wizards please.

But then you take a deep dive into his writings (and as a person) and two things tend to happen:

1. you become obsessed and take every single sentence as a deep psychological and philosophical masterpiece and start the revere Tolkien as a God

or...

2. You start to see the cracks in the armor, the weirdness of certain things (minorities, only being like 3 important woman), the super weird (wtf is Tom Barbidill lol), plot holes, ect. ANd you start getting sleepy.

Which, while it is heresay, I vastly vastly vastly prefer the movies. Yes, even the Hobbit, who fleshed out some characters (too much but still) so they were more than just "random dwarf name who dies #3." The sin of the Hobbit wasn't that they made a kids book into 3 movies... it was the cgi mess it turned into bc it was rushed + a random ass love triangle + despite trying to tie into LotR as much as possible, ignoring what the drwarven rings did to Thorins grandfather/father.

LOTR extended editions is better than anything Tolkien wrote

(prays there are no tolkien super fans here)
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 11-09-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Maybe a bit.

But I literally cannot think of another country that held onto racism from slavery through to segregation for as long as the US did. That sort of thing leaves a very deep mark on the country's psyche. But the part about apartheid and co isn't an exaggeration, those guys were heavily influenced by what they saw in the US.
    It's a very young country that will only change once the rural whites come around. Living in Indiana for example I can tell you, the middle is metro but EVVVVERything else surrounding is largely farm and rural. This is where the ideals of separation are held and when there ain't nobody within several hundred miles of you, who doesn't LOOK like you, or rock like you, it's easy to keep that line going that America's greatness needs to be upheld.

Keeping too in mind we're only a bit over 100 years from slavery in the US. Not even if you count the Jim Crow era and the fight to get what is supposed to be the Civil Rights act in the 60's. Slavery was the rule for so much longer since it's been abolished. I doubt this country has seen true growing pains yet.

IDK, this last mass shooting has left me pretty cold.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.