Page 1165 of 1199 FirstFirst ... 1656651065111511551161116211631164116511661167116811691175 ... LastLast
Results 17,461 to 17,475 of 17977
  1. #17461
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,604

    Default

    Renee got the Rona, and I think she hasn't been at a taping awhile.
    ,

  2. #17462
    Intermediary
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    320

    Default

    shut it all down

    wrestling is not essential

  3. #17463
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    shut it all down

    wrestling is not essential
    So you believe that we shut down all of wrestling for a couple years til their is a vaccine.

  4. #17464
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    shut it all down

    wrestling is not essential
    At this point I think non essential business are starting to open up anyways, so it sort of doesn't matter.

  5. #17465
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    So you believe that we shut down all of wrestling for a couple years til their is a vaccine.
    Wrestling needs an off-season, so yes.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

    "And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

  6. #17466
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    At this point I think non essential business are starting to open up anyways, so it sort of doesn't matter.
    Texas just announced that are putting reopening on pause due to the urge in cases and becoming the new epic center. Florida is getting wrecked by opening up too soon. They'll have to shutdown again at this rate.

  7. #17467
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Texas just announced that are putting reopening on pause due to the urge in cases and becoming the new epic center. Florida is getting wrecked by opening up too soon. They'll have to shutdown again at this rate.
    Again though, is there much of a point in shelter in place if you're allowing crowds of hundreds to protest? Either you're allowed to gather or you're not.

    If shelter in place is being ignored anyways, you might as well open up business. If you're not getting the benefits of shelter in place, you might as well not suffer the drawbacks.

  8. #17468
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again though, is there much of a point in shelter in place if you're allowing crowds of hundreds to protest? Either you're allowed to gather or you're not.

    If shelter in place is being ignored anyways, you might as well open up business. If you're not getting the benefits of shelter in place, you might as well not suffer the drawbacks.
    Stop trying to deflect. This has jack to do with the protests. The people gathering in the protests had better protections in place than the WWE had for the performance center.

  9. #17469
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Stop trying to deflect. This has jack to do with the protests. The people gathering in the protests had better protections in place than the WWE had for the performance center.
    The protestors probably had less protection in place, in that you don't need to get tested to participate in a protest. But the point being if protestors can gather in large numbers without significant problems, then shelter in place isn't necessary provided people take appropriate measures. I'm not even talking WWE here ... I'm talking about non essential business in general. If social distancing is being ignored anyways, people might as well get back to work.

  10. #17470
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again though, is there much of a point in shelter in place if you're allowing crowds of hundreds to protest? Either you're allowed to gather or you're not.

    If shelter in place is being ignored anyways, you might as well open up business. If you're not getting the benefits of shelter in place, you might as well not suffer the drawbacks.
    Pac, you dying on the wrong hill.Protests are not about "allowing". You don't allow people to protest and you get a revolt instead.

  11. #17471
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Wrestling needs an off-season, so yes.
    A two year off season? What do you suppose all of these wrestlers do to pay their bills? Vince and Tony can shutdown tomorrow and be perfectly fine.

  12. #17472
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Pac, you dying on the wrong hill.Protests are not about "allowing". You don't allow people to protest and you get a revolt instead.
    I don't necessarily disagree. Not saying they shouldn't allow people to protest. What I am saying is if you have crowds of hundreds forming shelter in place becomes moot. So again, if you're not getting the benefits of shelter in place you might as well not suffer the drawbacks from it.

  13. #17473
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Wrestling needs an off-season, so yes.
    As long as working is optional and no one is being forced to show up, it's fine. People can opt to just stay home like Kevin Owen if they're worried about.

    Who knows how long it will be before a vaccine is discovered. Wrestling and the economy in general can't stay closed forever.

  14. #17474
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    10,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    People were predicting a second wave well before the protests. All I'm saying is that protests essentially renders shutting the economy down moot. If people can gather in crowds of hundreds, then the rationale for keeping people from being able to go to work and pay their bills is basically out the window. If we can't enjoy the benefits of shelter in place, we can at least eliminate the drawbacks of it.
    We've never left the first wave ... we've seen 2 weeks burst with no falling after all these events:
    - Easter
    - Anti-mask protests
    - Mother's Day
    - Memorial Day
    - Police protests, for & against
    - Early open states/counties

    Father's Day and current protests are still another 10-14 days away from another spike. We have 4th of July coming. Heck, the mini Trump rallies began spikes as well. That's ignoring a rather large subset of data. We never left the first wave, we've just been climbing.



    The overwhelming body of evidence is these parties, not protests, are creating these spikes.

    Also, since your argument is largely economic ...

    125K people permanently removed from the economy translates to ~$13T permanently removed from the economy whereas being shut down for 13 months is roughly ~$3-4T. Which would you rather have? We can recover from shutdowns and stoppages but there's a point of no return financially speaking with too many dead people. Which we are quickly approaching and it's not even fall yet, when cold & flu season is demonstrably worse in the Northern Hemisphere.

    Dead people are adding up ... the alternative is akin to the Spanish Flu collapse the anti-mask league created in San Francisco (parades/beaches/rapid reopening/etc) vs. St. Louis (measured return and closing down every time cases rose). St. Louis recovered faster and better than San Francisco, which took a long, slow climb.

    Historically, pandemics also only last 2 years, regardless of vaccines. We can do this.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21H1B4
    https://www.quora.com/What-does-deat...untrys-economy
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4577549/

    It's a false trade-off argument.

    I'm not even getting into the moral and social arguments of letting people die because of the "gotta have mah haircuts, wrasslin', and Chapoltlay" crowd.

    I want sports and wrestling as much as the next person but it's not worth it socially, morally, or economically. We won't have those things ever again unless people start putting others and kindness first.

    I can wait for more wrestling. I can stay in and watch old shows.

    I can't bring people back from the dead. Nobody can.

    I don't think you fall into that crowd.

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    As long as working is optional and no one is being forced to show up, it's fine. People can opt to just stay home like Kevin Owen if they're worried about.

    Who knows how long it will be before a vaccine is discovered. Wrestling and the economy in general can't stay closed forever.
    I don't think that's the argument being made. I think the argument, like pretty much every job is talking about right now, is more time off. Why not start that now? Give wrestlers seasons.

    As much as I want to continue this discussion, we have a rather robust politics thread on CBR.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-25-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #17475
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We've never left the first wave ... we've seen 2 weeks burst with no falling after all these events:
    - Easter
    - Anti-mask protests
    - Mother's Day
    - Memorial Day
    - Police protests, for & against
    - Early open states/counties

    Father's Day and current protests are still another 10-14 days away from another spike. We have 4th of July coming. Heck, the mini Trump rallies began spikes as well. That's ignoring a rather large subset of data. We never left the first wave, we've just been climbing.



    The overwhelming body of evidence is these parties, not protests, are creating these spikes.

    Also, since your argument is largely economic ...

    125K people permanently removed from the economy translates to ~$13T permanently removed from the economy whereas being shut down for 13 months is roughly ~$3-4T. Which would you rather have? We can recover from shutdowns and stoppages but there's a point of no return financially speaking with too many dead people. Which we are quickly approaching and it's not even fall yet, when cold & flu season is demonstrably worse in the Northern Hemisphere.

    Dead people are adding up ... the alternative is akin to the Spanish Flu collapse the anti-mask league created in San Francisco (parades/beaches/rapid reopening/etc) vs. St. Louis (measured return and closing down every time cases rose). St. Louis recovered faster and better than San Francisco, which took a long, slow climb.

    Historically, pandemics also only last 2 years, regardless of vaccines. We can do this.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21H1B4
    https://www.quora.com/What-does-deat...untrys-economy
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4577549/

    It's a false trade-off argument.

    I'm not even getting into the moral and social arguments of letting people die because of the "gotta have mah haircuts, wrasslin', and Chapoltlay" crowd.

    I want sports and wrestling as much as the next person but it's not worth it socially, morally, or economically. We won't have those things ever again unless people start putting others and kindness first.

    I can wait for more wrestling. I can stay in and watch old shows.

    I can't bring people back from the dead. Nobody can.

    I don't think you fall into that crowd.



    I don't think that's the argument being made. I think the argument, like pretty much every job is talking about right now, is more time off. Why not start that now? Give wrestlers seasons.

    As much as I want to continue this discussion, we have a rather robust politics thread on CBR.
    And if they were actually enforcing shelter in place, I would agree with your point. But if they are unable or unwilling to do it, then what's the point? Right now we're suffering the drawbacks of shelter in place without enjoying any of the benefits of it. That's worst case scenario as you're getting burned from both ends.

    Either legitimately enforce people sheltering in place (if that's even possible) to protect people from the coronovirus, or allow the economy to function while the pandemic is happening. Do one or the other, because shutting down business while people are gathering in the hundreds really isn't ideal from any perspective.

    Of course, this is a theoretical debate. In practice because the government likely couldn't enforce shelter in place even if it wanted to, the issue is somewhat moot. For better or for worse we'll have to deal with the consequences of that, and what happens will happen.

    As far as taking time off... in the WWE specifically anyone that wants time off due to the virus can have it. From what I understand showing up to work is optional. Those outside WWE and AEW are getting time off whether they want it or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •