Page 609 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 1095095595996056066076086096106116126136196597091109 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,135 of 19298
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You don't even need to know the numbers to figure out that they are at least TRYING to expand their audience (though Double or Nothing did almost double All In with around 100,000 buys). That's just common sense. There are a lot of wrestling fans who aren't familiar with indy wrestlers who don't have a national platform. And trying to squeeze 50 bucks out of them is a tough sell. The point of a free pre-show should be to try and convince those people to spend the 50 bucks on the product. The people already familiar with the product don't need to be sold to the same degree because they likely have an idea of what they are getting even without seeing the pre-show. They probably already saw All In, which is a better guage of what they are paying for than the pre-show.

I do get some of the logic of the battle royal, in that it used a couple former ECW and WWE guys who a casual wrestling audience might be familiar with. But in the same breath, I can understand Cornettes criticism that this match isn't the strongest selling point for the company and the PPV.
    it's a battle royal. not sure what you were expecting it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    I don't expect much out of a battle royal. I don't think anyone expects much out of a battle royal. Which is why maybe you shouldn't rely soley on a battle royal to draw in an audience and convince them to spent 50 bucks on the rest of the show.

Just my opinion mind you... maybe other people liked it more than I did. I just don't think that's them necessarily putting their best foot foreward. I do understand the logic in terms of utilizing former ECW and WWE wrestlers that the casual fan might recognize. But overall it's a match that by design can't really have good wrestling, and had a lot of talent which the quite honestly so-so announce team didn't do that great a job putting over.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It should have introduce the audience to those guys. It's a type of match that can do that. All that shitty match managed to do is put over MJF

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It should have introduce the audience to those guys. It's a type of match that can do that. All that shitty match managed to do is put over MJF
    I honestly didn't really know MJF prior to this outside of hearing his name here and there, and I walked out of it a fan of the guy. So in the least it did suceed at doing that.

I don't know if it's the booking or if he was just good enough to take advantage of the opportunity and make himself shine (probably both), but he did a good job of getting himself over. I honestly think in hindsight maybe he should have won the darn thing. Though if he's not exclusive and working for another company, then that could factor into the booking.

I honestly didn't really know MJF prior to this outside of hearing his name here and there, and I walked out of it a fan of the guy. So in the least it did suceed at doing that.

I don't know if it's the booking or if he was just good enough to take advantage of the opportunity and make himself shine (probably both), but he did a good job of getting himself over. I honestly think in hindsight maybe he should have won the darn thing. Though if he's not exclusive and working for another company, then that could factor into the booking.
    MJF also works MLW. I doubt he'll win their world title so no harm in him winning a battle royale. It wouldn't surprise me if he was suppose to win before PAC ruined the plans.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

I don't expect much out of a battle royal. I don't think anyone expects much out of a battle royal. Which is why maybe you shouldn't rely soley on a battle royal to draw in an audience and convince them to spent 50 bucks on the rest of the show.

Just my opinion mind you... maybe other people liked it more than I did. I just don't think that's them necessarily putting their best foot foreward. I do understand the logic in terms of utilizing former ECW and WWE wrestlers that the casual fan might recognize. But overall it's a match that by design can't really have good wrestling, and had a lot of talent which the quite honestly so-so announce team didn't do that great a job putting over.
    then i don't understand your complaint. i mean, it was on the pre-show. i don't expect top tier wrestling from a pre-show, though i have been surprised before. plus, it's better to have it on the pre-show than having to bump another match off the main card.

well, him and orange cassidy.

then i don't understand your complaint. i mean, it was on the pre-show. i don't expect top tier wrestling from a pre-show, though i have been surprised before. plus, it's better to have it on the pre-show than having to bump another match off the main card.

For Double or Nothing the pre-show job was to sell the PPV. Their PPV was $50 and it was their very first show. The pre-show was easily accessible to anyone who might have been on the fence. That pre-show was absolute garbage. I'll hard pressed if it managed to convince anyone who wasn't already a die-hard to watch the main card.

Personally I don't think like Orange Cassidy. I struggle to think how his character works. Why are you in this match if you don't give a ****?

My complaint is pretty simple. I don't think that was the best possible match they could have used to convince potentially new viewers to spend 50 bucks to buy the PPV.

This is their FIRST AEW PPV ever. A lot of people are not familiar with their product and aren't necessarily going to throw 50 bucks down to watch it. This free pre-show match is their chance to convince people to buy it, and I'm not 100% sure this was their best effort. IMO at least.

For THIS pre-show at least, IMO I think it would have been worth it to try and create a stronger first impression. Off the top of my head, I might have put SoCal Uncensored in the pre-Show. You have a couple guys who might be somewhat recognizable, and you're delivering a good match. Make the battle royal a bit shorter and you potentially have room for both matches. Yes, you're giving away a good match for free but thats the point... you want to convince people on the fence that this is worth 50 bucks.

And 50 bucks IMO is a hard sell when you consider a WWE PPV is only a fifth of that in cost, and you're getting a lot more bang for your buck with the network than just a single card.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Mike Bennet and Maria have signed new deals with wwe
    I don't know why WWE offered them a contract. I hate to say it but the WWE has constantly failed to capture the magic of Impact talents.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I don't know why WWE offered them a contract. I hate to say it but the WWE has constantly failed to capture the magic of Impact talents.
    Honestly I"m not sure Mike Bennet had a whole lot of magic on Impact.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Honestly I"m not sure Mike Bennet had a whole lot of magic on Impact.
    He worked best in ROH. I think it was an aspect he was more of a "sports entertainment" guy working in a pro wrestling geared company. The biggest thing ROH missed the boat on was ...he should have been made World Champion. Due to the heel heat he could gain off that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I doubt that Mike Bennett would have gotten as far as he did if it wasn't for Maria. Really, what does he have going for him?

Astonishing Member

I doubt that Mike Bennett would have gotten as far as he did if it wasn't for Maria. Really, what does he have going for him?
    Nothing. They are a package. Nothing wrong with that.

With exception of Joe and Styles, I feel like TNA talent was used better than what the WWE has done with them. I put Matt Hardy in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    He worked best in ROH. I think it was an aspect he was more of a "sports entertainment" guy working in a pro wrestling geared company. The biggest thing ROH missed the boat on was ...he should have been made World Champion. Due to the heel heat he could gain off that.
    When Bennett first started off as Brutal Bob's Prodigy he was on the right track. Could've been a arrogant little heat magnet.

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by steve2275; 06-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player