Page 608 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 1085085585986046056066076086096106116126186587081108 ... LastLast
Results 9,106 to 9,120 of 19298

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I do think the battle royal did portray the product as sort of cartoony, almost circus like. So from his perspective, I can sort of see why a new fan might go in and not necessarily get a good first impression of the product. Plus the match itself wasn't great... which in all fairness can be said for pretty much all battle royals, but that does raise the question of whether or not this is the first impression you want to give of your product.

This is the thing that new viewers on the fence about spending 50 bucks for their first PPV will judge the product on. And I think Cornette made a reasonably valid point that this perhaps did not give the product the very best first impression it could have.
    90% of the people who knew when and where to watch the pre-show battle royal already had a 1st impression of AEW beforehand.

Astonishing Member

4 27 16
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6295360/?ref_=ttep_ep44
    From Hakata Star Lanes in Hakata, Fukuoka, Japan it's IWGP Intercontinental Champion Kenny "The Cleaner" Omega vs. Michael Elgin;
    and Bad Luck Fale vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    90% of the people who knew when and where to watch the pre-show battle royal already had a 1st impression of AEW beforehand.
    i'd say the battle royal did its job. i mean, a lot of people didn't know who orange cassidy was and now, dude has blown up with people coming to his old vids on youtube simply because of his short run in the battle royal.

Ideally the point of this was to draw in a bigger audience than you previously had. If 90% of the people watching were already familiar with the product, then they didn't do a great job as they could have here.

I would think (or at least HOPE) that they drew in new people to check out the product. They didn't do that great a job promoting the product if they didn't.

Ultimate Member

corny came in to talk ****, we know this already.

you should assume everybody is being themselves or are you asking them to xplain that all the other guys are working gimmicks while sonny is being himself?? did they not say his name??

also i'd think this is not the blowoff match for mox & omega so maybe their match doesn't have a decisive finish and they might not want to close the show that way.
    Their blowoff match should be a stipulation one I think. Hardcore match, Last Man Standing, Fall's Count Anywhere, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Moxley vs Omega confirmed for All Out. This proposes an interesting problem for the show. That without a doubt should be the main-event but Jericho vs Page for AEW world title is on the same show. It will be a bad look if the match that crowns your first champion doesn't close.
    Agreed. The title is the main event. If they don't think that Hangman holding the title up high is the big final moment that your fan should see, then they might need a different champ.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Agreed. The title is the main event. If they don't think that Hangman holding the title up high is the big final moment that your fan should see, then they might need a different champ.
    I think you can make the arguement Jericho should keep the belt though. Not that he needs it, but AEW and the belt arguably needs Jericho as far as the star power he brings. Paige, with all due respect, probaby is not a guy you want to build your company around. At least not yet.

But the bookers are his buddies, so we'll see.

Astonishing Member

I think you can make the arguement Jericho should keep the belt though. Not that he needs it, but AEW and the belt arguably needs Jericho as far as the star power he brings. Paige, with all due respect, probaby is not a guy you want to build your company around. At least not yet.

But the bookers are his buddies, so we'll see.
    Yep,the story have planned is for Page to win the belt. It's why Pac bounced. Jericho is bulletproof, so wins and loses don't matter.

You get one chance to pick your first champ.

Ultimate Member

Actually apparently Pac was supposed to beat Page at DON, and then lose to Omega later on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Actually apparently Pac was supposed to beat Page at DON, and then lose to Omega later on.
    That makes no sense at all. If your plans were to have Pac win the title but much later down the line, Pac loses to guy who is regarded by many as the best in the world.. Pac is agreeing to that in the short term.

They are building Page to be champ not anyone else currently.
    Last edited by HUTHAIFA; 06-16-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Ideally the point of this was to draw in a bigger audience than you previously had. If 90% of the people watching were already familiar with the product, then they didn't do a great job as they could have here.
    i'll take your word for it, but imo about 90% of just about all pre-shows(wrestling or otherwise) are viewed by people familiar with the product. how many people do you think tune if for UFC prelims that aren't familiar with UFC?? i would think the idea might be to give people something free and get them xcited for the main show and sell a few people who are undecided. but you probably know more than me about that so again ill take you're word for it.

I would think (or at least HOPE) that they drew in new people to check out the product. They didn't do that great a job promoting the product if they didn't.
    if you say so. anybody know what the numbers were??

Their blowoff match should be a stipulation one I think. Hardcore match, Last Man Standing, Fall's Count Anywhere, etc.
    agreed.

the same night??

i'll take your word for it, but imo about 90% of just about all pre-shows(wrestling or otherwise) are viewed by people familiar with the product. how many people do you think tune if for UFC prelims that aren't familiar with UFC?? i would think the idea might be to give people something free and get them xcited for the main show and sell a few people who are undecided. but you probably know more than me about that so again ill take you're word for it.

if you say so. anybody know what the numbers were??

agreed.

the same night??
    You don't even need to know the numbers to figure out that they are at least TRYING to expand their audience (though Double or Nothing did almost double All In with around 100,000 buys). That's just common sense. There are a lot of wrestling fans who aren't familiar with indy wrestlers who don't have a national platform. And trying to squeeze 50 bucks out of them is a tough sell. The point of a free pre-show should be to try and convince those people to spend the 50 bucks on the product. The people already familiar with the product don't need to be sold to the same degree because they likely have an idea of what they are getting even without seeing the pre-show. They probably already saw All In, which is a better guage of what they are paying for than the pre-show.

I do get some of the logic of the battle royal, in that it used a couple former ECW and WWE guys who a casual wrestling audience might be familiar with. But in the same breath, I can understand Cornettes criticism that this match isn't the strongest selling point for the company and the PPV.

Mike Bennet and Maria have signed new deals with wwe

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Mike Bennet and Maria have signed new deals with wwe
    They might as well. Not sure anyone else really wants them. They at least have an OKAY niche on 205 live. They're best bet might be to end up on Total Divas.