Page 1234 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 23473411341184122412301231123212331234123512361237123812441284 ... LastLast
Results 18,496 to 18,510 of 19298
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm catching replays of the whole Hardy/Sammy deal. And yep...it was some sick moment where Hardy's head hit twice as we saw. Then they let him climb a scaffold ? WTF ?

I said it last fall when AEW was letting Darby Alin do the coffin drop on ring apron , one wrong deal and he's gonna wreck his back and neck. Instead of toning it down it seemed like they wanted him to do it weekly.

This seems to be a terrible trend in AEW...Tony Khan doesn't want to be a BOSS. He is just a guy who leans on his wrestling friends and you can't do this. Hey its good to have talent in roles for sure as we see in WWE. But you see Vince and others step up and do things. Here Khan allowed a concussed guy to keep going and climb a scaffold.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Tony Khan is a life long wrestling fan who has the money to run his own promotion. He clearly seems to want to be the "cool boss" that the talent likes.

Which is ok to a degree, but he has to be willing to step in and put his foot down when necessary as well.

As for Reby, in this case she has every right to be furious at what happened.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Tony Khan being an incompetent putz is unfortunately all too recognizable to us Jaguar fans. Also, seeing folks on Twitter actually try to tell Reby that Matt continuing was okay because he OK'd it was quite disgusting. That's an ECW ghoul mentality that should've died when ECW did.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Those fans taking Tony's word for it over Reby is also disgusting to me. I would take the guy's wife word about his current health over his boss. She's not a millionaire who has to cover her ass when incidents happen on her watch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Those fans taking Tony's word for it over Reby is also disgusting to me. I would take the guy's wife word about his current health over his boss. She's not a millionaire who has to cover her ass when incidents happen on her watch.
    Also, It also does. not. matter. whether or not Matt actually has a concussion. You should be error'ing on the side of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Tony Khan being an incompetent putz is unfortunately all too recognizable to us Jaguar fans. Also, seeing folks on Twitter actually try to tell Reby that Matt continuing was okay because he OK'd it was quite disgusting. That's an ECW ghoul mentality that should've died when ECW did.
    Tony Khan's father runs the Jaguars. This is something his dad essentially letting his son run. But with Matt Hardy he likely never realized how hurt he was and no one stepped in to make the call.

Also during ECW's hey day with this "ECW ghoul mentality" then no one really knew the damages concussions could do. A fact the NFL itself didn't either then. No one seemed to know the dangers of repeated blows to the head would cause long term problems. A fact that Bret Hart had his head kicked off by Goldberg , WCW didn't realize he had suffered a terrible concussion (and neither did Bret then) and he suffered mini-concussions the next week when he worked a regular match.

The same issue where Foley took 11 unprotected chair shots to the head in 1999. Its only now we flinch and go , this should never have happened. Yet sadly then no one really knew the dangers.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Tony Khan's father runs the Jaguars. This is something his dad essentially letting his son run. But with Matt Hardy he likely never realized how hurt he was and no one stepped in to make the call.

Also during ECW's hey day with this "ECW ghoul mentality" then no one really knew the damages concussions could do. A fact the NFL itself didn't either then. No one seemed to know the dangers of repeated blows to the head would cause long term problems. A fact that Bret Hart had his head kicked off by Goldberg , WCW didn't realize he had suffered a terrible concussion (and neither did Bret then) and he suffered mini-concussions the next week when he worked a regular match.

The same issue where Foley took 11 unprotected chair shots to the head in 1999. Its only now we flinch and go , this should never have happened. Yet sadly then no one really knew the dangers.
    I know who runs the Jags. Tony is a part of the executive branch, too. He literally runs the analytics division of the team. As for the ECW thing, I'm not just talking about concussions, it was literally almost every single time something dangerous happened in a match. It's something a lot of ex-ECW guys have brought up in shoots and books.

They may not have known for sure, but they had some idea. They just didn't want to think about it. Same as with the tobacco companies. People have known for over 100 years that tobacco is bad for your lungs and heart, but since the specifics of it have only been known for the last 40 years or so, the tobacco companies have had plausible deniability. It's all just bullshit perpetuated by people who don't want to take a chance on the product they sell being proven to be life threatening.
    Watching television is not an activity.

On their news brief segment of the Going in Raw podcast, Steve and Larson pointed out that a concussion test takes a bit of time. The ammount of time that elapsed before restarting the match was just over a minute and that is nowhere near enough time

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    I know who runs the Jags. Tony is a part of the executive branch, too. He literally runs the analytics division of the team. As for the ECW thing, I'm not just talking about concussions, it was literally almost every single time something dangerous happened in a match. It's something a lot of ex-ECW guys have brought up in shoots and books.
    And if you watched a number would say it was a lot of the guys believing they had to top themselves to do these dangerous spots. Some would do them repeatedly ala New Jack in ECW as he'd dive off balcony's after he did it once. Hell even Terry Funk who was in his 50's was doing moonsaults as we saw. It was the talent at times not reigning themselves in for these type of spots.

A fact that it just wasn't an ECW mentality. We had seen it for years in WWF , WCW and Japan. The fabled death matches as we know in Japan. The WCW spots where someone would advise a wrestler to not do a leg drop to a concrete floor (he ignored them and broke his ass) or WWF as someone had to tell Foley to tame it down after Hell in a Cell shortened his Career. In TNA we discussed a couple weeks ago the effect on Abyss who wrecked his body in hardcore matches and Foley in an interview spot praised him and joked he was now telling Abyss they had to tame it down to not get him hurt.

Wrestlers at times believe they can do anything. This mentality you speak of existed in this business and as we see still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    They may not have known for sure, but they had some idea. They just didn't want to think about it. Same as with the tobacco companies. People have known for over 100 years that tobacco is bad for your lungs and heart, but since the specifics of it have only been known for the last 40 years or so, the tobacco companies have had plausible deniability. It's all just bullshit perpetuated by people who don't want to take a chance on the product they sell being proven to be life threatening.
    The NFL itself knew concussions was something. I mean as Jim McMahon would say in 2010's , back in 1980's when a player had a concussion the team doctors would think said player had their bell rung and just place 2 tablets or pills taped to their head for pain as he claimed. Then send em back out. Al Toon (former Jets player) had 9 concussions . He finally retired after so many.

Troy Aikman had 10 concussions and at 1st it was said he was retiring due to them. But instead he revealed the real reason was his back was needing surgery and he planned to try comebacks in 2001 and 2003 . Before deciding to stay retired. This after 10 concussions.

Some may have known the dangers of concussions but in the case of players , a lot didn't as we can see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    On their news brief segment of the Going in Raw podcast, Steve and Larson pointed out that a concussion test takes a bit of time. The ammount of time that elapsed before restarting the match was just over a minute and that is nowhere near enough time
    It sadly echoes a Cleveland Browns situation from 2011 or 2012. In it the Browns QB at the time was Colt McCoy. In it McCoy's head hit the ground in a play by Steelers. He walked over as the team doctors spent a couple minutes talking to him. They didn't realize fully he had , had a concussion. Then McCoy was sent out to play those final 2 quarters.

McCoy awoke the next day not remembering ANYTHING after the 1st quarter and not realizing he had gotten in bed. His father was pissed off as we all would be.

In all its not an excuse for sure. But the situation puts me in mind of that.

And if you watched a number would say it was a lot of the guys believing they had to top themselves to do these dangerous spots. Some would do them repeatedly ala New Jack in ECW as he'd dive off balcony's after he did it once. Hell even Terry Funk who was in his 50's was doing moonsaults as we saw. It was the talent at times not reigning themselves in for these type of spots.

A fact that it just wasn't an ECW mentality. We had seen it for years in WWF , WCW and Japan. The fabled death matches as we know in Japan. The WCW spots where someone would advise a wrestler to not do a leg drop to a concrete floor (he ignored them and broke his ass) or WWF as someone had to tell Foley to tame it down after Hell in a Cell shortened his Career. In TNA we discussed a couple weeks ago the effect on Abyss who wrecked his body in hardcore matches and Foley in an interview spot praised him and joked he was now telling Abyss they had to tame it down to not get him hurt.

Wrestlers at times believe they can do anything. This mentality you speak of existed in this business and as we see still does.

The NFL itself knew concussions was something. I mean as Jim McMahon would say in 2010's , back in 1980's when a player had a concussion the team doctors would think said player had their bell rung and just place 2 tablets or pills taped to their head for pain as he claimed. Then send em back out. Al Toon (former Jets player) had 9 concussions . He finally retired after so many.

Troy Aikman had 10 concussions and at 1st it was said he was retiring due to them. But instead he revealed the real reason was his back was needing surgery and he planned to try comebacks in 2001 and 2003 . Before deciding to stay retired. This after 10 concussions.

Some may have known the dangers of concussions but in the case of players , a lot didn't as we can see here.

It sadly echoes a Cleveland Browns situation from 2011 or 2012. In it the Browns QB at the time was Colt McCoy. In it McCoy's head hit the ground in a play by Steelers. He walked over as the team doctors spent a couple minutes talking to him. They didn't realize fully he had , had a concussion. Then McCoy was sent out to play those final 2 quarters.

McCoy awoke the next day not remembering ANYTHING after the 1st quarter and not realizing he had gotten in bed. His father was pissed off as we all would be.

In all its not an excuse for sure. But the situation puts me in mind of that.
    You can't place ECW in the same category as WWE or WCW.

Yes Foley or Jeff Hardy might occasionall take a very dangerous bump on a big match... but ECW guys were doing it practically every night. At a certain point that's on management.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think after New Jack did the dive spot and it got over, ECW management actually WANTED him to do the more more often.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can't place ECW in the same category as WWE or WCW.

Yes Foley or Jeff Hardy might occasionall take a very dangerous bump on a big match... but ECW guys were doing it practically every night. At a certain point that's on management.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think after New Jack did the dive spot and it got over, ECW management actually WANTED him to do the more more often.
    Have you seen the bumps Foley took in WCW and WWF ? The table bumps or plunge to the floor where his body hit hard on concrete as we saw ? Its not an ECW mentality. Yes people in management should have stepped in and made workers be smarter in ECW for damn sure. In the same way others had to. In TNA Abyss himself had done spots where he had to retire early as we saw.

And have you seen Jeff Hardy ? He had to turn to pain killers and more over his WWF bumps in 2000s. He was doing big ladder bumps to floor every PPV it seemed and it too had an effect. At one point he was clearly limping at points. So yeah this had an effect on his body.

Management in EVERY company is responsible. Its not just an ECW thing because it suits the fancy. EVERY company has seemingly had management not reign things in as we have seen. Its at times leaving it up to wrestlers who as I said above believe they are a-ok and can keep doing it. New Jack could have said , nope no more balcony jumps ...maybe 1 a year or 1 every 2 years for big shows. (The same deal we said about Abyss and thumb tacks)

But EVERY company is responsible for not reigning guys in and telling the guys , your not immortal. You can be hurt BADLY.

Have you seen the bumps Foley took in WCW and WWF ? The table bumps or plunge to the floor where his body hit hard on concrete as we saw ? Its not an ECW mentality. Yes people in management should have stepped in and made workers be smarter in ECW for damn sure. In the same way others had to. In TNA Abyss himself had done spots where he had to retire early as we saw.

And have you seen Jeff Hardy ? He had to turn to pain killers and more over his WWF bumps in 2000s. He was doing big ladder bumps to floor every PPV it seemed and it too had an effect. At one point he was clearly limping at points. So yeah this had an effect on his body.

Management in EVERY company is responsible. Its not just an ECW thing because it suits the fancy. EVERY company has seemingly had management not reign things in as we have seen. Its at times leaving it up to wrestlers who as I said above believe they are a-ok and can keep doing it. New Jack could have said , nope no more balcony jumps ...maybe 1 a year or 1 every 2 years for big shows. (The same deal we said about Abyss and thumb tacks)

But EVERY company is responsible for not reigning guys in and telling the guys , your not immortal. You can be hurt BADLY.
    Yes, I've seen Foley take big bumps... but the point was he didn't do it every show on every night. Same with Hardy. I think he did it too often as well.... but not every freaking night.

I DO think ECW can get a lot of the credit for hardcore wrestling becoming popularized in the US. All these idiot indy guys jumping off of barns into pick up trucks filled with light bulbs in part I think were inspired by ECW. It didn't create hardcore wrestling... but it make it cool to a certain blood thirsty portion of the wrestling fan base.

ECW wants to get credit for a lot of the stuff we got in the Attitude Era... deservedly so. But I also think they should get the blame for creating this small but rapid niche part of the fan base that wants to emmulate people wrestling in barb wife and jumpting through flaming tables with thumb tax. By supplying it EVERY night, it put the wrestlers and fans in this vicious cycle where they had to constantly try and top themselves.

A WWF and TNA guy were not mentioning along with Jeff Hardy is ...Kurt Angle. Everyone knows his issues he's battled with pain killer and alcohol issues. But a lot stemmed from his neck injuries and the WWE not really caring as we know on how he left the company in 2006. Before anyone forgets...

- Angle admitted later he was in a dark spiral. He was taking tons of prescription pills because his body was so wracked in pain. He was working a WWF schedule and hurt badly by this point of 2006. He wanted a part time schedule (a Shawn Michaels one ).

- When he met with Vince he was told ...NOPE no part time schedule for you. He had to get a final release because he couldn't continue.

- Angle waited a few weeks and signed with TNA. To work a limited schedule but he was still addicted to pain killers as he admits in link below. He knew the guys there liked to drink and he started mixing his medications and drinking (Unknown to everyone) . He finally went into rehab in 2013 while in TNA.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/...diction-issues

Management for ALL companies fail with guys and sadly its continued as we saw. I was surprised Angle's name wasn't mentioned.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

A WWF and TNA guy were not mentioning along with Jeff Hardy is ...Kurt Angle. Everyone knows his issues he's battled with pain killer and alcohol issues. But a lot stemmed from his neck injuries and the WWE not really caring as we know on how he left the company in 2006. Before anyone forgets...

- Angle admitted later he was in a dark spiral. He was taking tons of prescription pills because his body was so wracked in pain. He was working a WWF schedule and hurt badly by this point of 2006. He wanted a part time schedule (a Shawn Michaels one ).

- When he met with Vince he was told ...NOPE no part time schedule for you. He had to get a final release because he couldn't continue.

- Angle waited a few weeks and signed with TNA. To work a limited schedule but he was still addicted to pain killers as he admits in link below. He knew the guys there liked to drink and he started mixing his medications and drinking (Unknown to everyone) . He finally went into rehab in 2013 while in TNA.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/...diction-issues

Management for ALL companies fail with guys and sadly its continued as we saw. I was surprised Angle's name wasn't mentioned.
    WWE wrongs doesn't absolve AEW of their's. WWE doesn't have power over what they do.