Page 283 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 1832332732792802812822832842852862872933333837831283 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 19298
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If TnA/Impact tells us anything, spending momey on top name talent can be a gamble. They spent millions on established main eventer and it never really moved the needle. They did just as well pushing new homegrown talent and saved a lot of money in the process.

I think getting 1 top guy like Jericho is necessary. But beyond that I think if they are going to compete with Vince on contracts it'll start being a detriment. If you're paying these guys millions you'd better be making millions.
    Signing Hulk Hogan and a few others did move the needle at first. The early days when Hogan first came on were the glory days in terms of ratings on Impact.

You just really need one or two. If anything, it's a good idea to rotate "imported" main eventers in and out to keep your product fresh.

That caveat I have is that it might be worth it to spend moderate money on some crossover stars that might bring eyeballs in from other genres and sports.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Signing Hulk Hogan and a few others did move the needle at first. The early days when Hogan first came on were the glory days in terms of ratings on Impact.

You just really need one or two. If anything, it's a good idea to rotate "imported" main eventers in and out to keep your product fresh.

That caveat I have is that it might be worth it to spend moderate money on some crossover stars that might bring eyeballs in from other genres and sports.
    Right now they have at LEAST one with Jericho. I think we're all assuming Omega will sign with AEW, so in theory they should be set.

But the tricky thing will be whether or not down the line the guaranteed money and light work schedule will begin luring main eventers from the WWE like WCW did back in the day. Guys like AJ or Nakamura for example. Certainly it can benefit AEW in the short term to get whatever main event level talent they can from the WWE... but the question mark might be now many 7 figure contracts can (or perhaps SHOULD) juggle at once. And if they start showcasing established talent, will that start burying new or homegrown talent like it did with WCW and TnA.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Running a wrestling promotion is a tricky juggling act. You want big name stars, but you need to be able to pay for big name stars. And you want established proven draws, but you also want room for new homegrown talent to shine. Doing all of the above isn't easy. We'll see how AEW can handle all that.

Right now they have at LEAST one with Jericho. I think we're all assuming Omega will sign with AEW, so in theory they should be set.

But the tricky thing will be whether or not down the line the guaranteed money and light work schedule will begin luring main eventers from the WWE like WCW did back in the day. Guys like AJ or Nakamura for example. Certainly it can benefit AEW in the short term to get whatever main event level talent they can from the WWE... but the question mark might be now many 7 figure contracts can (or perhaps SHOULD) juggle at once. And if they start showcasing established talent, will that start burying new or homegrown talent like it did with WCW and TnA.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Running a wrestling promotion is a tricky juggling act. You want big name stars, but you need to be able to pay for big name stars. And you want established proven draws, but you also want room for new homegrown talent to shine. Doing all of the above isn't easy. We'll see how AEW can handle all that.
    Well ... I think it's going to focus on women to turn this around. AEW pledged to pay Main Event women the same as Main Event men. We may be looking at men to move the needle but if AEW starts signing away women ... I think that's where AEW can take a bite out in the industry.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    My only fear regarding AEW is that the Elite start to act like a new age NWO and trample all over the younger talent.

This aside, I think there's room for another "well run" promotion. WWE has been signing up a lot of people but the simple reality is they don't have enough space for everyone.
    The Elite themselves are young talent lol.

Joking aside, the Young Bucks at least got good heads on them. When their match for All In had to be cut for time they make sure that Bandido had the most shine as he was the least known guy in the match.

According to this the Revival might have asked for their release.
    https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/e...ishing-company

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well ... I think it's going to focus on women to turn this around. AEW pledged to pay Main Event women the same as Main Event men. We may be looking at men to move the needle but if AEW starts signing away women ... I think that's where AEW can take a bite out in the industry.
    Have they announced any women apart from Codys wife? Because as it stands, it seems as though all this talk about the women main eventing and getting equal pay just means Brandi will get a lot of screen time and a fat pay check.

Have they announced any women apart from Codys wife? Because as it stands, it seems as though all this talk about the women main eventing and getting equal pay just means Brandi will get a lot of screen time and a fat pay check.
    Penelope Ford and Britt Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Penelope Ford and Britt Baker
    HOnestly I don't know who those women are. Are they deserving of main eventing PPV and main eventer money? They better be darn good if they're getting the same pay Jericho and Omega are.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

HOnestly I don't know who those women are. Are they deserving of main eventing PPV and main eventer money? They better be darn good if they're getting the same pay Jericho and Omega are.
    can't anything about ford but baker is pretty good. it was also a nice bit of continuity on the last ep of BTE when she confront the bucks on how they murdered her boyfriend. who was her boyfriend?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to this the Revival might have asked for their release.
    https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/e...ishing-company
    at this point, i wouldn't blame them. they are a great tag team and are being wasted on raw, even when they got their little push a few weeks ago.

also, been hearing rumors that goldust might ask for his release so he can work with cody, and tommy dreamer wants to join up to help, since cody and the bucks help get HOH off the ground.

I'd put the 2 AEW women in the middle class of current WWE women. Not terrible but not 5 star match makers. Baker could be, though.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

shame on wwe
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'd put the 2 AEW women in the middle class of current WWE women. Not terrible but not 5 star match makers. Baker could be, though.
    Well, that's a start I guess. At least until they can snag some talent from WWE or Impact. And I'm sure there's a bunch of japanesse and mexican wrestlers they can snag to at least occasionally show up for a big show or two.

I just won hq sports WWE edition!

Well, that's a start I guess. At least until they can snag some talent from WWE or Impact. And I'm sure there's a bunch of japanesse and mexican wrestlers they can snag to at least occasionally show up for a big show or two.
    AEW have been scouting joshi. Mayu Iwatani is one of the wrestlers they want to sign but there's complications. She's signed with STARDOM who's partnered with RoH and she's gonna be working the MSG show. There's some thing they'll have to work out if they want her. They could get Ivelisse if they help her get out of her Lucha Underground contract. Priscilla Kelly would be a good signing with the buzz she created for herself assuming NXT didn't get to her first.