Page 967 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 46786791795796396496596696796896997097197710171067 ... LastLast
Results 14,491 to 14,505 of 19298
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I don't really get why people are against Inter-Gender wrestling. It's all scripted, so why does it matter
    I can't speak on behalf of anyone else, but it can make me feel incredibly uncomfortable. In my head I understand that these are trained wrestlers who know how to perform moves in a way that minimizes risk of injury, but it still bothers me to see acts of violence inflicted on a woman by a man. Even exaggerated acts. It's just not something I enjoy sitting through.

Astonishing Member

I don't really get why people are against Inter-Gender wrestling. It's all scripted, so why does it matter

Lightweight doesn't exactly inspire a lot of respect
    The violence of wrestling is very visceral. So watching Seth Rollins curb stomp Becky Lynch is something I never want to see. When I watch wrestling I want to say "Holy Bleep" like I was watching a boxing or mma match and not haha like I am watching a cartoon or video game.

If I am being truly pulled into a match, then even for a split second that violence is real to me. I want to be a mark.
    Last edited by HUTHAIFA; 01-24-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Lightweight doesn't exactly inspire a lot of respect
    Scripted or not, in all likelihood it'll make a portion of the fanbase uncomfortable enough to complain about it. Whether it's enough complaints to really effect the WWE in any sort of way (ie scaring off sponsors or the networks) is a question mark... but I'm personally not sure it's worth the risk.

On a purely personal level, there are only certain contexts where I would buy inter gender wrestling. Most men are so much bigger and stronger than their counter parts, that it's hards to really buy what I'm watching. I could probably buy Shayna Bazler against Adam Cole for example... but I don't think I could legitimately buy Becky vs Brock or Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I never liked this excuse. Being scripted doesn't mean I should accept whatever bullshit they decide to throw at me. The point of wrestling is to be simulated combat and have a degree of believably.

Extraordinary Member

I guess a few one-offs might be interesting. But honestly what would be the point? I really lost interest in Tessa Blanchard when she started fighting dudes on the regular. Now she's Champ and it's like whatever.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I never liked this excuse. Being scripted doesn't mean I should accept whatever bullshit they decide to throw at me. The point of wrestling is to be simulated combat and have a degree of believably.
    One of the Most popular wrestlers in the history of the WWE is a zombie. Realism is not really something I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I guess a few one-offs might be interesting. But honestly what would be the point? I really lost interest in Tessa Blanchard when she started fighting dudes on the regular. Now she's Champ and it's like whatever.
    What's the point of making it some verboten thing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Amen. I like comedy,soap opera, and so forth in my storylines and promos, but my in ring has to try and attempt to be believable.

I am a fan of NWA Powerrr but the Geriatric Express being champs just kills it for me. It's like watching George Foreman try to fight Wilder.

A little man beating a much larger skilled wrestlers need to be explained. WALTER VS Bates was one ofy favorite matches, but that had a story behind it. Bates has been shown previously to have ridiculous Cesaro like strength. So you believe that he could last in the ring with WALTER.

Astonishing Member

One of the Most popular wrestlers in the history of the WWE is a zombie. Realism is not really something I care about.

What's the point of making it some verboten thing?
    Taker is also like 6'9" 300 lbs, so imagining a guy like that being able to beat the crap out of people is not hard to believe.

Believing that Riho could beat Jon Moxley is a whole lot harder.
    Last edited by HUTHAIFA; 01-24-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Taker is also like 6'9" 300 lbs, so imagining a guy like that being able to beat the crap out of people is not hard to believe.

Believing that Riho could beat Jon Moxley is a whole lot harder.
    Counterpoint: Rey Misterio is small, yet he has been able to beat much bigger wrestlers. If I can buy him being a big guy, why shouldn't I be able to buy someone like Asuka, who is the same height, doing it?

Baron Corbin is 6'8", yet he's lost to Chad Gable, who is the same height as Rhea Ripley. Am I supposed to find it unbelievable that she could kick Corbin's ass?

It's all about the booking. If a woman is booked as a badass, I can by her beating a bigger guy.

Your example was Riho vs. Jon Moxley, but that's a bad example since Jon Moxley is himself built as a super badass guy. I wouldn't buy most of the male wrestlers in AEW beating Jon Moxley. But let's look at someone who is the same height, and probably even heavier, than Jon Moxley: Shane McMahon. Can I see Riho beating Shane McMahon? Yes, I can.

Counterpoint: Rey Misterio is small, yet he has been able to beat much bigger wrestlers. If I can buy him being a big guy, why shouldn't I be able to buy someone like Asuka, who is the same height, doing it?

Baron Corbin is 6'8", yet he's lost to Chad Gable, who is the same height as Rhea Ripley. Am I supposed to find it unbelievable that she could kick Corbin's ass?

It's all about the booking. If a woman is booked as a badass, I can by her beating a bigger guy.

Your example was Riho vs. Jon Moxley, but that's a bad example since Jon Moxley is himself built as a super badass guy. I wouldn't buy most of the male wrestlers in AEW beating Jon Moxley. But let's look at someone who is the same height, and probably even heavier, than Jon Moxley: Shane McMahon. Can I see Riho beating Shane McMahon? Yes, I can.
    It's not just height and weight though. Gable despite being short (by male pro-wrestler standards) is an olympic level wrestler who is probably freakishly strong and fast. Rhea being the same height as Gable does not mean she is in any way, shape or form as believable a threat as Gable is.

I do think there are CERTAIN women who I can buy competing with CERTAIN men. Bayzler for example. Or Ronda. But someone like Riho, who weights like 93 pounds? I have a lot more trouble with that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's not just height and weight though. Gable despite being short (by male pro-wrestler standards) is an olympic level wrestler who is probably freakishly strong and fast. Rhea being the same height as Gable does not mean she is in any way, shape or form as believable a threat as Gable is.

I do think there are CERTAIN women who I can buy competing with CERTAIN men. Bayzler for example. Or Ronda. But someone like Riho, who weights like 93 pounds? I have a lot more trouble with that.
    Yeah, based on the booking Rhea is a much bigger threat than Gable. Rhea's a red hot up and comer who just toppled one of the most dominant champions in NXT. Gable is a midcarder whose chief characteristic is that she's short.

And Riho won her championship by beating someone 9 inches taller than her and over twice her weight. Her beating opponents with a significant height and weight advantage over her isn't new to her.

Ultimate Member

I've been seeing intergender wrestling since the Attitude Era. It's never been a problem for me, and it feels like it's only just become a "controversy" relatively recently.

Plus I see enough men vs. Women fights in films, TV, etc, wrestling is no different imo.

They could have Asuka, or Io, or Rhea, or Ronda, etc win one of the midcard belts, or the CW Belt, etc and I'd be all for it.

Yeah, based on the booking Rhea is a much bigger threat than Gable. Rhea's a red hot up and comer who just toppled one of the most dominant champions in NXT. Gable is a midcarder whose chief characteristic is that she's short.

And Riho won her championship by beating someone 9 inches taller than her and over twice her weight. Her beating opponents with a significant height and weight advantage over her isn't new to her.
    Rhea is a bigger threat to other women because in part she's bigger and stronger than most of them. That won't be the case against Corbin or Gable or really any male wrestler.

And Riho beat Nyla Rose, who is big by womans standards... but she's not even 200 pounds. By male standards she's actually pretty small.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I don't mind inter-gender wrestling.

Candice Larae pretty much made her name on the indies wrestling guys.

Black Lotus Triad (featuring Io Shirai and Kairi Sane) wrestled Pentagon Jr in Lucha Underground.

People seemed to like Nia Jax in the Royal Rumble last year.

Actual fighting is about more than just size. Yes size is an advantage but tactics and skill/ability should also be taken into account. Getting kicked in the face is still going to hurt if your 6'7 and 300 pounds. Size doesn't make you invulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I don't mind inter-gender wrestling.

Candice Larae pretty much made her name on the indies wrestling guys.

Black Lotus Triad (featuring Io Shirai and Kairi Sane) wrestled Pentagon Jr in Lucha Underground.

People seemed to like Nia Jax in the Royal Rumble last year.

Actual fighting is about more than just size. Yes size is an advantage but tactics and skill/ability should also be taken into account. Getting kicked in the face is still going to hurt if your 6'7 and 300 pounds. Size doesn't make you invulnerable.
    But the thing is that it's not just a matter of size. Someone used Gable and Rhea Riply as an example. He's stronger, faster, more agile, and he's better than her on the matt... Rhea has no advantages here whatsoever. It's not JUST that he's bigger... it's the issue that she on paper has no chance whatsoever against him because he has no advantages against him whatsoever.

I think there are CERTAIN women who can pull it off. Again, a Ronda or a Shayna potentially are more credible fighters than a certain portion of the lockeroom and can work against the right opponent. But a Riho frankly should get squashed by almost anyone.