Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Did You Like True Detective Seasons 2-3?

Just finished watching True Detective Season 1.

Season 2 is pretty good. I haven't seen season 3 yet.

Season 2 is more reminescent of "Chinatown" and "the long goodbye". It's more hardboiled noir than the first.

They are very different. Neither is near as good as 1. 2 was okay, but I think it fell apart. 3 was more interesting. But give yourself some time after 1 before you watch the other ones.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked season 3 quite a bit.

I liked Season 2 alot. Only watched one episode of season 3 and couldn't get into it. Gonna give it another try though. Taylor Kistch was the surprise for me. After roles like John Carter of Mars, crappy Gambit, and Battleship. I didn't think much of him but it was this show and maybe the movie Animals or Savages(Iono him and kick ass share a gf and Benicio DelToro plays a great villian.) That won me back over. The rest the cast was great too though. Cool seeing a side of Vince Vaughn we hadn't seen since his early career.

Season 2 was shite. 3 was ok.

Season 2 was a slog for me to get through once and i tried rewatching it a few years later and didn't get very far.

Season 3 was OK but probably not something i will rewatch anytime soon. It does have a some great performances, moreso than S2 at least.

I think all three suffered from somewhat anticlimactic resolutions after big build-ups in the early episodes. In the end, each season's success seemed to hinge more on how well the lead actors got us to buy into their detective characters. S2 was the worst in this regard imo.

Also, Nic Pizzolatto's ability to come up with a decent mystery is severely overrated.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's a lot to like in S2 and S3. They don't get enough credit and are still miles above most crime shows.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Season 2 has one of the best dream sequences in any show. It's worth it just for that.