Page 557 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 574575075475535545555565575585595605615676076571057 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,355 of 19298
    Ultimate Member

It's VERY hard to grow a wrestling company these days without a good TV deal, regardless of how good your product might be. Heck a big part of the reason why the originally ECW ended up folding for example, is that they lost their TV deal and couldn't find another suitable one to replace it with.

Intermediary

thats not entirely true

with the IndependentWrestling.TV platform (previously Powerbomb.TV) has given a platform to companies like Beyond Wrestling, Freelance Wrestling, Limitless Wrestling and those promotions are doing well for their size

if you want NATIONAL growth and international distribution,then yes you need a TV or distribution deal

even MLW, which is on BeIN Sports, but has distro on YouTube is doing well

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    thats not entirely true

with the IndependentWrestling.TV platform (previously Powerbomb.TV) has given a platform to companies like Beyond Wrestling, Freelance Wrestling, Limitless Wrestling and those promotions are doing well for their size

if you want NATIONAL growth and international distribution,then yes you need a TV or distribution deal

even MLW, which is on BeIN Sports, but has distro on YouTube is doing well
    Again, the problem with AEW is that they're using contracted talent with multi-million dollar contracts right out of the gate. Never mind benefits and whatever else they are providing. That's a lot of expense that house shows and even PPV's almost certainly won't cover alone. I'm sure they'll make some add revenus off of Youtube too, but they're not going to make millions off of it.

They painted themselves into a corner where TV was an absolute necessity. They went All In, pun intended. Fortunately for them, they got it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again, the problem with AEW is that they're using contracted talent with multi-million dollar contracts right out of the gate. Never mind benefits and whatever else they are providing. That's a lot of expense that house shows and even PPV's almost certainly won't cover alone. I'm sure they'll make some add revenus off of Youtube too, but they're not going to make millions off of it.

They painted themselves into a corner where TV was an absolute necessity. They went All In, pun intended. Fortunately for them, they got it.
    The guys behind AEW ain't stupid. I doubt they went in on big money contracts without having major distribution deals being offered. Having the Khans backing them and having a successful "pilot" with All In did a lot to get their foot through that door.

Jericho himself has said he would have never signed unless they already had major TV deal in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The guys behind AEW ain't stupid. I doubt they went in on big money contracts without having major distribution deals being offered. Having the Khans backing them and having a successful "pilot" with All In did a lot to get their foot through that door.

Jericho himself has said he would have never signed unless they already had major TV deal in place.
    If they had a major TV deal already in place when Jericho was signed, then they certainly did a great job of hiding it from the internet the whole time. Props to them for pulling that off.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If they had a major TV deal already in place when Jericho was signed, then they certainly did a great job of hiding it from the internet the whole time. Props to them for pulling that off.
    I wouldn't say they did a good job hiding it. Meltz reported they got offers from two major networks and the Elite were seen in Atlanta during WrestleMania weekend. For them not to be in Tristate area at that time is telling and speculate to be meeting with Turner broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I wouldn't say they did a good job hiding it. Meltz reported they got offers from two major networks and the Elite were seen in Atlanta during WrestleMania weekend. For them not to be in Tristate area at that time is telling and speculate to be meeting with Turner broadcasting.
    Yeah, but there's a big difference between negotiating a deal and having it already in place by that point. If it was a done deal, a lot of people probably would have known and I'd give them credit for them being able to keep that silent until they were ready to actually announce it. Again, it's tough to pull off in this day and age.

PAC vs Hangman Page is off for Double or Nothing

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    PAC vs Hangman Page is off for Double or Nothing
    I wonder why
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post
    I wonder why
    PAC was refusing to job

Astonishing Member

ring of honor episode #400
    jeff cobb + RUSH+jay lethal vs villain enterprises 781 lbs the roh six-man champions titles on the line

main event time flip Gordon (199 lbs) vs matt taven (227lbs) as he defends the ring honor world championship (VERY SHINY)
    Last edited by steve2275; 05-19-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    Transformers TCG player

Ultimate Member

It sounds like a mess. Pac is Dragon Gate champion and he's been open about taking that role very seriously and they've invested a lot in him. So I wouldn't be surprised if both him and DG weren't exactly keen on him losing to Page who, upside aside, has been a low-midcard guy for most of his career thus far.

And frankly, I don't blame them. Page feels like a guy that you build up gradually, having him win here feels like jumping the gun too soon. Also it was probably a bit foolish on AEW's part to expect that the champion of one company, was going to lose to a lower-midcard guy on a debut show. That almost NEVER happens and for good reason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    PAC was refusing to job
    That's crazy. I guess it wasn't just a WWE thing.

I see Pac point. If you job on your debut, you want it be against a bigger star than Page.

I prefer Pac, so I might be bias.

Ultimate Member

It's also the fact that he's the Dragon Gate champion and their biggest star. There's a reason why the champions of one promotion don't tend to job clean to lower-midcard guys in another promotion.

He and DG might very well have been ok with it if he was losing to Jericho, or Kenny, or even Cody perhaps. But Page is a nobody.

Astonishing Member

Transformers TCG player