Page 1053 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 5355395310031043104910501051105210531054105510561057106311031153 ... LastLast
Results 15,781 to 15,795 of 19298

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I also think he's been boring in AEW....his in-ring work is miles better than I remember Bart Gunn's though.
    I was kinda excited to see what they would do with him in AEW, since I do feel WWE somewhat underutilized him. But for the most part, he's been somewhat of a generic big guy enforcer type. He's being used OKAY all things considered... but I honestly was sort of hoping he might get to another level.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

On Paige's stream Nia opened up about complaining to management about Alexa kept getting hurt working against a girl she wouldn't name drop. Alexa didn't want to speak up because she wanted to be a team player. The irony of Nia making this complaint about someone is not lost on me.
    https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/...14018420064256

I'm pretty sure the girl who kept hurting Alexa must have been Ronda Rousey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    On Paige's stream Nia opened up about complaining to management about Alexa kept getting hurt working against a girl she wouldn't name drop. Alexa didn't want to speak up because she wanted to be a team player. The irony of Nia making this complaint about someone is not lost on me.

We know working with Rousey resulted in two concussions, so that's the leading contender...

Also Sasha Banks broke her nose in NXT which supposedly ended up with real life heat, but they then worked a program against each other.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Bart Gunn was a charisma-less black hole. No gimmick or character reinvention can help that at all.
    No less than Leif Cassidy. Or even Kama Mustapha (who was terrible as Papa Sango).
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-09-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Ultimate Member

Wasn’t there real life heat between Nia and Rousey.

Maybe this is what contributed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I don't necessarily agree how he was handled, I can't say he's at the top of my list of guys the WWE should have necessarily pushed.

While I agree that work rate isn't the deciding factor at that point in time (or now for that matter), I'm not sure Bart Gunn necessarily shined in any particular aspect. Medicore look, mediocre in-ring ability, mediocre mic skills, mediocre personality. Could he have pulled off some sort of bad @$$ MMA-ish legit figher gimmick? I'm iffy about it. I would agree they probably should have tried to make lemonade out of lemons here... but I can't entirely disagree if management decided there were better options in the lockeroom to invest their time on either.

I guess my point would be while I don't agree with how things were handled, IMO he wasn't good enough for me to particularly care that much that WWE cut their loses. He was a fairly mediocre sports entertainer that probably would end up in the same place regardless of what they did. It wasn't a case of the WWE blowing it by not seeing this guys potential... I just don't see there happened to be a whole lot of potential to see in the first place.
    How long had Kayfabe been broken at that point ? Because short of leaning heavily into "All these guys are fakes, I'm actually a legit fighter" like Rousey and Lesnar can do its kind of hard to go "I'm a legit fighter" when you've got other guys in kayfabe saying the same stuff and taking chairs etc

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Disagree Jack was pretty good.
    I like Jake, but he doesn't have tons of charisma.

For me, at least being a "legit professional fighter" only if that person has a celebrity about them. Bring "legit" in a simulated fight means zero to me as a fan.

I look at Cain Velasquez, and even though he could kill a man, his pro wrestling ability is horrid.

As a fan all I care about is if you can make your opponent look good as well as yourself. Because that is pro wrestling to me.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post

For me, at least being a "legit professional fighter" only if that person has a celebrity about them. Bring "legit" in a simulated fight means zero to me as a fan.

I look at Cain Velasquez, and even though he could kill a man, his pro wrestling ability is horrid.

As a fan all I care about is if you can make your opponent look good as well as yourself. Because that is pro wrestling to me.
    Counterpoint: Matt Riddle.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Bart Gunn was Bart Gunn. a mediocre, at best, wrestler with zero personality. when you have to be carried by Billy Gunn to make a semi watchable team you know it isnt good. Nothing would have worked with him.
    he didn't need to be carried by billy, he was a good tag guy with multiple partners i especially liked him teaming with jim steele.

Here is my issue.

You take the time to put on this Brawl For All. You obviously thought it was a good enough build for Steve Williams, who honestly wasn't anymore over in the wee than Dan Severn or Steve Blackman. He wasn't having great matches or great promos in the WWE at that time.

Bart Gunn did what Williams could not do. You just showed your audience that Gunn knocked out the "Baddest Man In The Room" .

You shave his head.
    You have Cornette or Brother Love managed him.
    You billed him as The Right Hand Of God.
    You book his right hand like they did with Big Show.
    Bart Gunn was 6'3" 250lbs and in great shape.

This episode of Dark Side just proved to be what I have seen for years. Once the boss puts you in a box, you don't leave that box.
    agreed, you might as well and try to get something out of he whole deal. i think people are kind of giving JR a free pass here, seemed like jr was in a position where he could've at least kept bart from getting punished but was bitter about his friend getting KOed.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    Malcolm Bivens

awww man, i was hoping to get some airbrushed jeans in nxt soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The sad thing is for as much of a flop the Brawl For All was, the industry learned nothing from it. Shortly after is when NJPW started Inoki-ism and it almost killed the company.
    don't forget they did some similar **** with miz and daniel puder, and i hear he wanted to do some more **** like that in nxt but was talked out of it.

So is Jack Hager, and he was two time champ, and us about to have a title match with Mox.

Booking
    Booking
    Booking
    fuuuuuk no. jake isn't lacking charisma

Bart was a tag team guy. Put him in a team. Really, that's all they needed to do with him.
    pretty much. they could've even put him back with billy as the new age outlaws with road dogg as manager. the gunns were better in ring than the outlaws imo

wrong again, for his xperience and training cain is alright-good. if wwe wasn't so bad at showing peoples strengths and hiding their weaknesses it would be easier to see.

does anybody know if charlotte was a heel or face when she beat rhea, or if she's a heel or face now?? seems like she does a double turn every other match.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    he didn't need to be carried by billy, he was a good tag guy with multiple partners i especially liked him teaming with jim steele.

agreed, you might as well and try to get something out of he whole deal. i think people are kind of giving JR a free pass here, seemed like jr was in a position where he could've at least kept bart from getting punished but was bitter about his friend getting KOed.

don't forget they did some similar **** with miz and daniel puder, and i hear he wanted to do some more **** like that in nxt but was talked out of it.

pretty much. they could've even put him back with billy as the new age outlaws with road dogg as manager. the gunns were better in ring than the outlaws imo

wrong again, for his xperience and training cain is alright-good. if wwe wasn't so bad at showing peoples strengths and hiding their weaknesses it would be easier to see.

does anybody know if charlotte was a heel or face when she beat rhea, or if she's a heel or face now?? seems like she does a double turn every other match.
    I don't who the guy that says he is Cain Velasquez, but Fake Cain is horrible

I do agree with you about JR getting a free pass. Cornette hated the idea and Russo, so he wasn't trying to make any good out it. Russo had no ideas . All he cared about was puking JBL. JR was pissed about Dr. Death and probably wasn't happy to encourage pushing Gunn.

Gunn had no allies.
    Last edited by HUTHAIFA; 04-09-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

Charlotte was definately a heel against Rhea.

I think she's solidly been a heel for the past year except when he was arguably a tweener in the feud with Becky against the Kabuki Warriors.

That said, I do wonder if they won't turn her face or at least tweaner in NXT since there's not a whole lot of faces to compete with in the womans division at the moment. You arguably get more milage out of her as a face. Or I suppose you can just screw the whole heel/face dynamic and throw heels at her like they are doing with Io. That works too.
    Last edited by XPac; 04-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Charlotte was definately a heel against Rhea.

I think she's solidly been a heel for the past year except when he was arguably a tweener in the feud with Becky against the Kabuki Warriors.

That said, I do wonder if they won't turn her face or at least tweaner in NXT since there's not a whole lot of faces to compete with in the womans division at the moment. You arguably get more milage out of her as a face. Or I suppose you can just screw the whole heel/face dynamic and thrw heels at her like they are doing with Io. That works too.
    I almost feel as if Charlotte was a last minute decision. Io is not the first person you put against Charlotte. I feel like Rhea passport situation made them change plans.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    NXT:

Io winning was cool, but WrestleMania changed things. Charlotte vs. Io will be great matches. But Charlotte being the first one to beat Io since she turned heel, when the latter has tons of momentum and is the most over woman that they've got. Oh boy, that'll go over well with fans.

Tweener Balor is awesome. Him vs. WALTER should be epic.

Not sure about the Candice thing. They turned another female face heel? I hope they have something cool planned. Because Candice being only "Johnny's wife" has been part of her problem so far. And here it seems like they're doubling down on it.

AEW:

The Women's Match was really good. Shida needs to be champion soon. And this is the most impressed I've been with Dr. Britt so far, so props to her.

The tag match was fun.

Jericho's commentary was great. Whenever he finally retires, he should do it full time. His beef with Aubrey Edwards continues. With how over she is, if he or some other heel ever attacks her, instant nuclear heat.

Cody vs. Shawn was enjoyable. Creative finish to.
    if reports are to be believed, AEW taped hours of matches and Jericho did comms for it all.

I almost feel as if Charlotte was a last minute decision. Io is not the first person you put against Charlotte. I feel like Rhea passport situation made them change plans.
    Part of me wonders if Io didn't win simply because Charlotte wanted to wrestle her.

But I agree, the standard school of thought should be for a face to win a number one contenders match against a heel champion. I was frankly predicting Tegan to win simply because she had a history of leg injuries, which plays right into Charlottes hands.

Astonishing Member

Part of me wonders if Io didn't win simply because Charlotte wanted to wrestle her.

But I agree, the standard school of thought should be for a face to win a number one contenders match against a heel champion. I was frankly predicting Tegan to win simply because she had a history of leg injuries, which plays right into Charlottes hands.
    Tegan should have won. It's not like any of those women are beating Charlotte. They could have Io do a face turn, but I don't see the hook for that.