Page 816 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 316716766806812813814815816817818819820826866916 ... LastLast
Results 12,226 to 12,240 of 19298

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Drawing a gate isn't the point of studio wrestling. Studio wrestling is developed for a television audience with the live crowd being dressing. It's like when a sitcom is record in front of a live studio audience.
    I get that. I'm just pointing out the downside of that business model. TV tapings for the WWE or AEW can actually draw gates in addition to being their means of generating television content. Cerainly studio wrestling is a means of saving a lot of money... but it's also an indicator that you KNOW you don't have the audience to sell enough tickets to make up for the costs. Not that I expect NWA to get to that point anytime soon... they should be smart enough to know their limits and stay within them.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I get that. I'm just pointing out the downside of that business model. TV tapings for the WWE or AEW can actually draw gates in addition to being their means of generating television content. Cerainly studio wrestling is a means of saving a lot of money... but it's also an indicator that you KNOW you don't have the audience to sell enough tickets to make up for the costs. Not that I expect NWA to get to that point anytime soon... they should be smart enough to know their limits and stay within them.
    There's more benefits to studio wrestling than just the cost. Since it's developed for the TV audience the wrestlers can't ignore the camera man which will never stop being a pet peeve of my when it comes to WWE or how some guys cut their promos on Impact. It's a better setting for more intimate interviews and promos. They likely have more leeway doing crazier things of they decide to take things there.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'd partially disagree if that if you're a SUPER TOP baby face like a Hogan or an Austin or a Cena in their absolute prime, you probably should be protected from tapping. But other than that yeah... submission should be a valid way of winning a match. If submission loses made people look bad then people shouldn't be using submission finishes. A submission loss in theory should be no worse than getting KOed by a finishing move. It's just another way to beat their opponent.
    The rise of MMA has made me jaded to this particular aspect of wrestling. I see a lot of those submission used in a shoot environment and have these guys tapped immediately once it's fully applied. I see that same move in wrestling and have a guy locked in for like a minute before he taps or go for a rope break kills my disbelief personally.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    Do you guys think NWA powerrr has staying power or do you think the format is a novelty that will wear off??
    I'd say it's still too soon to tell, though I've enjoyed it myself. The more wrestling on the internet, the better I say.
    Last edited by wjowski; 10-18-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The studio show is to promote live cards and possible IPPV's down the line the company does. To develop and draw an audience to that. Doing live tv ala AEW and WWE is a big costly deal. A fact Impact learned the wrong way when they tried going live nearly each week and Dixie couldn't with stand the money losses.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

The rise of MMA has made me jaded to this particular aspect of wrestling. I see a lot of those submission used in a shoot environment and have these guys tapped immediately once it's fully applied. I see that same move in wrestling and have a guy locked in for like a minute before he taps or go for a rope break kills my disbelief personally.
    It wouldn't be a bad idea (in storyline) to have someone refusing to tap and then actually get their shoulder separated and then have to miss time. I mean if you don't tap out to the Dis-Arm her, you should actually lose your arm.

I remember people being in the ankle lock for like 2 minutes and then never suffer lasting damage.

SI covered the NWA giving it a good write up. And The Rock himself chimed in to give NWA Power props.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/10...Z51p6NG5SdHF-U
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

my sides..

lol

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The studio show is to promote live cards and possible IPPV's down the line the company does. To develop and draw an audience to that. Doing live tv ala AEW and WWE is a big costly deal. A fact Impact learned the wrong way when they tried going live nearly each week and Dixie couldn't with stand the money losses.
    They're having their Into the Fire ppv in December, so we'll get a gauge of how well their business model is working for them so far.

Ultimate Member

No one should be above tapping. The guy had his hands tied so there was no escape. Tappings makes sense given he had no way out.
    Disagree, when a guy's whole gimmick is that he's a violent lunatic who doesn't give a crap about pain, he shouldn't tap. Same as "dead man" Undertaker, it just looks stupid when a freaking zombie with superpowers taps out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

my sides..

lol
    We better see that match with Jericho XD

They're having their Into the Fire ppv in December, so we'll get a gauge of how well their business model is working for them so far.
    I'm sure they would be happy to get 1,000-3,000 PPV Buys by then if it works out.

If anyone remembers TNA did this in summer of 2005 after the 1 year Fox Sports deal ended. They aired over the summer online and then was on Spike.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

jericho went to bat for stunt after the backlash he got for being "too small".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Disagree, when a guy's whole gimmick is that he's a violent lunatic who doesn't give a crap about pain, he shouldn't tap. Same as "dead man" Undertaker, it just looks stupid when a freaking zombie with superpowers taps out.
    Should they even be put in a submission? When I see Cena in a submission, I just lose interest in the match. Like I know, he will not tap.

Honestly, I think if you put one of those guys in a submission, it should be to put the submission over. Anybody can beat Roman, but if Matt Riddle made Roman tao, then Riddle is on the road to being a superstar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It wouldn't be a bad idea (in storyline) to have someone refusing to tap and then actually get their shoulder separated and then have to miss time. I mean if you don't tap out to the Dis-Arm her, you should actually lose your arm.

I remember people being in the ankle lock for like 2 minutes and then never suffer lasting damage.
    I like that. The ref has to call the match because your arm or ankle is broken. Both wrestlers are put over that way.