Page 1052 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 5255295210021042104810491050105110521053105410551056106211021152 ... LastLast
Results 15,766 to 15,780 of 19298
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    In kayfabe, Ciampa has threatened Candice multiple times and always attacks her husband. As a face, she would often cheat (Survivor Series, interfering in Nox/Kai) so this isn't really big out of character for her.
    I'm less concerned about Candice turning heel and more that she still seems to just be "Mrs. Gargano" A big part of her problem in NXT has been their refusal to let her grow on her own and just reducing her to being "Johnny's wife." And with this, they seem to be doubling down on it if anything.

Astonishing Member

"Devoted Wife" is just as much as a gimmick as anything else!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I don't necessarily agree how he was handled, I can't say he's at the top of my list of guys the WWE should have necessarily pushed.

While I agree that work rate isn't the deciding factor at that point in time (or now for that matter), I'm not sure Bart Gunn necessarily shined in any particular aspect. Medicore look, mediocre in-ring ability, mediocre mic skills, mediocre personality. Could he have pulled off some sort of bad @$$ MMA-ish legit figher gimmick? I'm iffy about it. I would agree they probably should have tried to make lemonade out of lemons here... but I can't entirely disagree if management decided there were better options in the lockeroom to invest their time on either.

I guess my point would be while I don't agree with how things were handled, IMO he wasn't good enough for me to particularly care that much that WWE cut their loses. He was a fairly mediocre sports entertainer that probably would end up in the same place regardless of what they did. It wasn't a case of the WWE blowing it by not seeing this guys potential... I just don't see there happened to be a whole lot of potential to see in the first place.
    Here is my issue.

You take the time to put on this Brawl For All. You obviously thought it was a good enough build for Steve Williams, who honestly wasn't anymore over in the wee than Dan Severn or Steve Blackman. He wasn't having great matches or great promos in the WWE at that time.

Bart Gunn did what Williams could not do. You just showed your audience that Gunn knocked out the "Baddest Man In The Room" .

You shave his head.
    You have Cornette or Brother Love managed him.
    You billed him as The Right Hand Of God.
    You book his right hand like they did with Big Show.
    Bart Gunn was 6'3" 250lbs and in great shape.

This episode of Dark Side just proved to be what I have seen for years. Once the boss puts you in a box, you don't leave that box.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Here is my issue.

You take the time to put on this Brawl For All. You obviously thought it was a good enough build for Steve Williams, who honestly wasn't anymore over in the wee than Dan Severn or Steve Blackman. He wasn't having great matches or great promos in the WWE at that time.

Bart Gunn did what Williams could not do. You just showed your audience that Gunn knocked out the "Baddest Man In The Room" .

You shave his head.
    You have Cornette or Brother Love managed him.
    You billed him as The Right Hand Of God.
    You book his right hand like they did with Big Show.
    Bart Gunn was 6'3" 250lbs and in great shape.

This episode of Dark Side just proved to be what I have seen for years. Once the boss puts you in a box, you don't leave that box.
    agreed

how could you not have a story for the underdog of a tournament?

HOW

yea once Vince has a picture of what he thinks you are, thassit

see Brodie Lee

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    wait they seriously renamed stokely michael bivens?? they have to name his stablemates ricky bell & ronnie devoe now
    Malcolm Bivens

The sad thing is for as much of a flop the Brawl For All was, the industry learned nothing from it. Shortly after is when NJPW started Inoki-ism and it almost killed the company.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Rocky Maivia was a pretty silly gimmick but managed to morph into the Rock. Even Al Snow (i.e Leif Cassidy) got over by carrying a mannequin head everywhere. And that’s not even considering guys like JBL or The Godfather they got over with different, wilder gimmicks in the attitude era.

There was a ton of stuff they could have done with Bart Gunn. His biggest mistake was knocking out and injuring Dr Death.
    Bart Gunn was a charisma-less black hole. No gimmick or character reinvention can help that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm less concerned about Candice turning heel and more that she still seems to just be "Mrs. Gargano" A big part of her problem in NXT has been their refusal to let her grow on her own and just reducing her to being "Johnny's wife." And with this, they seem to be doubling down on it if anything.
    Honestly, I'm not sure they would do more with her than they already are if she wasn't Candace Wrestling, so any additional airtime and angles she gets out of it is probably a net gain.

Nxt isn't great at pushing more than 2-4 women at once, tops. And when they give a monster push to someone like Asuka or Bayzler or Rhea, less than that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure they would do more with her than they already are if she wasn't Candace Wrestling, so any additional airtime and angles she gets out of it is probably a net gain.

Nxt isn't great at pushing more than 2-4 women at once, tops. And when they give a monster push to someone like Asuka or Bayzler or Rhea, less than that.
    NXT has that problem in general. Their roster is huuuuge, but because they give everyone match time, people are just doing nothing for months or years at a time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Bart Gunn was a charisma-less black hole. No gimmick or character reinvention can help that at all.
    So is Jack Hager, and he was two time champ, and us about to have a title match with Mox.

Booking
    Booking
    Booking

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    They might end up feuding with Killer Cross and Scarlett Bordeaux. It was teased at the end.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Bart was a tag team guy. Put him in a team. Really, that's all they needed to do with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Bart was a tag team guy. Put him in a team. Really, that's all they needed to do with him.
    From what I understand he had a fine run in Japan as a tag team guy.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    So is Jack Hager, and he was two time champ, and us about to have a title match with Mox.

Booking
    Booking
    Booking
    Disagree Jack was pretty good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Disagree Jack was pretty good.
    I also think he's been boring in AEW....his in-ring work is miles better than I remember Bart Gunn's though.