Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sami is Canadian so they can easily run an angle of him being unable to return to the country thanks to present circumstances. Do some MJF type stuff of him "trying" to get back.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Given how bad the Fox TV deal was for New Fox , I can't see them after 5 years with the numbers they are getting (finishing 8th in total ratings each night) as something to pay that huge fee towards. Fox will likely cut the deal massively down since paying Vince $1+ Billion dollars for 5 years of terrible ratings wasn't what they expected. In fact I can imagine that New Fox thought they were getting the WWE back in its ratings peak era and not one that they average less than 3 million viewers a night .

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...atings-669150/

I can see a massive cut to the deal ahead in 2023 where New Fox will likely cut the deal by at least half to air Smackdown. Hell when the deal was announced people thought the company was crazy since no one was offering that much at all to carry Smackdown. The last deal from what was approved back in 2012 for USA/SyFy was no where near that figure New Fox paid per year.

Its the same way where Spike paid such a huge price for WWF RAW back in 2000 and thought they were gonna get a ratings power house that was generating 8-9+ million viewers a week. Then they watched as the ratings dived after the Attitude Era ended and by final check was 5-6 million viewers. They were paying at least $500,000 a week to air WWE programming a week but let it go due to costs.

So yeah the New Fox deal helps right now for sure. But unless another "boom" period hits suddenly I can't see that company paying the $200 million for Smackdown a year after it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Given how bad the Fox TV deal was for New Fox , I can't see them after 5 years with the numbers they are getting (finishing 8th in total ratings each night) as something to pay that huge fee towards. Fox will likely cut the deal massively down since paying Vince $1+ Billion dollars for 5 years of terrible ratings wasn't what they expected. In fact I can imagine that New Fox thought they were getting the WWE back in its ratings peak era and not one that they average less than 3 million viewers a night .

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...atings-669150/

I can see a massive cut to the deal ahead in 2023 where New Fox will likely cut the deal by at least half to air Smackdown. Hell when the deal was announced people thought the company was crazy since no one was offering that much at all to carry Smackdown. The last deal from what was approved back in 2012 for USA/SyFy was no where near that figure New Fox paid per year.

Its the same way where Spike paid such a huge price for WWF RAW back in 2000 and thought they were gonna get a ratings power house that was generating 8-9+ million viewers a week. Then they watched as the ratings dived after the Attitude Era ended and by final check was 5-6 million viewers. They were paying at least $500,000 a week to air WWE programming a week but let it go due to costs.

So yeah the New Fox deal helps right now for sure. But unless another "boom" period hits suddenly I can't see that company paying the $200 million for Smackdown a year after it.
    If things keep going as they are I don't think Fox'll wait til 2023. They probably have a clause in the contract to cut the deal early if they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's impossible to get traction in the empty arena era. Nothing they do can hurt.
    I don't think that's entirely true. I think people like Vega and Sonya is getting a fair amount of traction under the current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think that's entirely true. I think people like Vega and Sonya is getting a fair amount of traction under the current circumstances.
    With no live crowd it's impossible to gauge how well it's getting over. I don't use twitter as a meaningful gauge of anything.

Astonishing Member

Sami is Canadian so they can easily run an angle of him being unable to return to the country thanks to present circumstances. Do some MJF type stuff of him "trying" to get back.
    Impact is doing that with Tessa. Actually, Impact has been very mature about their no shows.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Impact is doing that with Tessa. Actually, Impact has been very mature about their no shows.
    Tessa is legitimately stuck in Mexico?

Astonishing Member

TNT gave a 175 million dollar contract to a show that is lucky to crack 800k weekly viewers. WWE Smackdown gets about 3 times that on an average week. WWE might not get a billion dollar next time, but I don't see them taking more of a cut. Fox gets not just Smackdown hit a whole of programming for their other networks like FS1 and FS2.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    TNT gave a 175 million dollar contract to a show that is lucky to crack 800k weekly viewers. WWE Smackdown gets about 3 times that on an average week. WWE might not get a billion dollar next time, but I don't see them taking more of a cut. Fox gets not just Smackdown hit a whole of programming for their other networks like FS1 and FS2.
    What else does TNT have outside of the NBA and showing blockbuster movies?

Astonishing Member

n fact I can imagine that New Fox thought they were getting the WWE back in its ratings peak era and not one that they average less than 3 million viewers a night .
    WWE was extremely fortunate that UFC was out for bid at the same time. It allowed Fox to compare both products. WWE provided more content, has better ratings (so far, 20% up from the previous time slot) and was cheaper.

If I remember right, analysts thought the Smackdown contract should have been between 600 and 800 million.

Astonishing Member

What else does TNT have outside of the NBA and showing blockbuster movies?
    Hot cup of nothing much like Fox, who just has NFL and maybe the Masked Singer

i've been watching AJPW champions carnivals from 2016 & 2017 and it' been a very nice change up from NJPW. kento miyahara has gotten really damn good(looking forward to see his work from the last 3 years now). he looks kind of like a bootleg tanahashi but still incredible growth from what i remember him while with kensuke office.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    They could do what AEW is doing with MJF and have Sami do a few promos from his home detailing one fake injury after another. "I slipped in the tub and sprained a toe." "I cut my ear while putting on my N95 mask."
    I think it helps that MJF has enough charisma that he can sell it without it being too silly, just silly enough.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    i've been watching AJPW champions carnivals from 2016 & 2017 and it' been a very nice change up from NJPW. kento miyahara has gotten really damn good(looking forward to see his work from the last 3 years now). he looks kind of like a bootleg tanahashi but still incredible growth from what i remember him while with kensuke office.

That's because he basically is playing more of the pure babyface type of role ala Tanahashi.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think it helps that MJF has enough charisma that he can sell it without it being too silly, just silly enough.
    Yeah, MJF is gold with stuff like that.

But Sami in theory could pull if off too.