Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Punk is/was definitely being a dick here, but AJ doesn't really help matters with deflecting to the "I'm a performer" stuff.
    Punk is clearly putting Styles in a position he doesn't want to be in and he ain't biting. It's no secret that AJ is a good ol boy. It's better from him to keep his mouth shut.

Orton is not a fan of NXT style of wrestling
    https://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ra...marter-harder/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    When you're as good as Orton you can get away with saying that. He can put out good matches the crowd is emotionally invested in while doing relatively little. And any wrestler that can get away with doing that is certainly doing their body a favor in the long run. Problem being most people can't get people as emotionally invested as Orton and need to to rely more on the dives and the spots.

Part of me hopes this is setting up some sort of angle where Orton spends a bit of time in NXT. There's a lot of fun matches he could have, Ciampa being the first guy on that list.

Astonishing Member

They both have points. (Orton has probably the most ridiculously conservative safe style ever)

That said, the company is billing Orton's latest match as the "Greatest Wrestling Match Ever"--and assuming it's not a joke/troll job (i.e. the match ends up being 10 seconds), then someone is going to be criticized heavily if the match is like their Wrestlemania one.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Cena's a performer too, and just donated a million. A weak excuse for Styles to use.
    I'll just say AJ is PROBABLY wise to keep his mouth shut on the matter and leave it at that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    When you're as good as Orton you can get away with saying that. He can put out good matches the crowd is emotionally invested in while doing relatively little. And any wrestler that can get away with doing that is certainly doing their body a favor in the long run. Problem being most people can't get people as emotionally invested as Orton and need to to rely more on the dives and the spots.

Part of me hopes this is setting up some sort of angle where Orton spends a bit of time in NXT. There's a lot of fun matches he could have, Ciampa being the first guy on that list.
    YMMV. I'm new to watching wrestling, and I can't recall a single time I came away from a Randy Orton Match entertained. He's like Corbin to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    YMMV. I'm new to watching wrestling, and I can't recall a single time I came away from a Randy Orton Match entertained. He's like Corbin to me
    There's a good degree of subjectivity in regards to who is or isn't entertaining. But I don't think anyone can deny objectively speaking that Orton hasn't gotten over and stayed over for a good amount of time. And he did it for the most part wrestling a very safe conservative "old school" style. So like his work or not, it worked.

Astonishing Member

There's a good degree of subjectivity in regards to who is or isn't entertaining. But I don't think anyone can deny objectively speaking that Orton hasn't gotten over and stayed over for a good amount of time. And he did it for the most part wrestling a very safe conservative "old school" style. So like his work or not, it worked.
    I find Orton highly entertaining. He doesn't do stuff just for the sake of getting his stuff in.

There was also a point in his career when fans wanted him gone. The time when Orton was the Authority's poster boy was peak go away heat for Orton.

In all fairness they did actually book Rhea as a face pretty well up to this point. Prior to her loss to Charlotte, they turned her into a star practically overnight.

I don't think she necessarily needs to turn full heel... but I do think her acting like more of a tweaner might help her get her edge back. She was sort of sacrificed to a degree to give Io the push she got (and that probably is the right call), but I do think she probably needs something to help her get her momentum back.
    by io do you mean charlotte?? because that's who rhea got sacrificed to and it wasn't to give io a push either.

Punk is clearly putting Styles in a position he doesn't want to be in and he ain't biting. It's no secret that AJ is a good ol boy. It's better from him to keep his mouth shut.
    agreed.

There was also a point in his career when fans wanted him gone. The time when Orton was the Authority's poster boy was peak go away heat for Orton.
    can't really blame him for that. the authority was bad for EVERYBODY.

i'm a big fan of orton, have been for a long time and i think he's a great wrestler, especially for a WWE like environment. like i think he's much better suited for a long feud with plenty of character work building to a match rather than some a random dream match he might get booked in if he were working indys.

that said i'm not sure if he's got some kind of insecurities or what where he feels he needs to take shots at guys who work a different style than him

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    They both have points. (Orton has probably the most ridiculously conservative safe style ever)

That said, the company is billing Orton's latest match as the "Greatest Wrestling Match Ever"--and assuming it's not a joke/troll job (i.e. the match ends up being 10 seconds), then someone is going to be criticized heavily if the match is like their Wrestlemania one.
    as much as i like both randy and edge, that match is gonna suck for one simple reason: the billing of it being the "greatest match ever". regardless of how good it could be, it will never live up that billing. so anything short of perfect is a fail, because it will be judged against matches like steamboat/savage, bret/owen, austin/bret, shawn/taker at WM25 and so on. and i geniuelly feel bad for both of them for being put in a position like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    by io do you mean charlotte?? because that's who rhea got sacrificed to and it wasn't to give io a push either.

agreed.

can't really blame him for that. the authority was bad for EVERYBODY.

i'm a big fan of orton, have been for a long time and i think he's a great wrestler, especially for a WWE like environment. like i think he's much better suited for a long feud with plenty of character work building to a match rather than some a random dream match he might get booked in if he were working indys.

that said i'm not sure if he's got some kind of insecurities or what where he feels he needs to take shots at guys who work a different style than him
    No I meant Io. If Io wasn't inserted into the angle with Charlotte and Rhea, I would assume Rhea would have regained the belt back as I didn't expect Charlotte to remain in NXT long term. Io was put into the angle, and pinned Rhea to win the belt. It was the right move, in that it created a new top female star in the divsion. But the price was that Rhea doesn't regain the title or get a loss back from Charlotte. Io gets that instead.

As far as Orton taking shots at guys... my interpretation (and obviously I could be 100% wrong) is less that he's insecure, and more that he's generally trying to advice younger talent to take less bumps and wrestle a safer style for their own benefit. But because Orton is a bit of a dick, he just comes off more negative than it needs to. Though in CIampas case specifically, I do wonder if this isn't part of some work which will ultimately lead to Orton having a short run in NXT. That could just be wishful thinking though.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    as much as i like both randy and edge, that match is gonna suck for one simple reason: the billing of it being the "greatest match ever". regardless of how good it could be, it will never live up that billing. so anything short of perfect is a fail, because it will be judged against matches like steamboat/savage, bret/owen, austin/bret, shawn/taker at WM25 and so on. and i geniuelly feel bad for both of them for being put in a position like this.
    pretty much unrelated but i've personally always found orton much more entertaining than edge

No I meant Io. If Io wasn't inserted into the angle with Charlotte and Rhea, I would assume Rhea would have regained the belt back as I didn't expect Charlotte to remain in NXT long term. Io was put into the angle, and pinned Rhea to win the belt. It was the right move, in that it created a new top female star in the divsion. But the price was that Rhea doesn't regain the title or get a loss back from Charlotte. Io gets that instead.
    rhea had nothing to sacrifice for io, all she did was take a pin. she sacrificed her title and momentum to charlotte months before. if it was intended to create a new top star io should've pinned charlotte or at the very least pinned rhea on her own.

As far as Orton taking shots at guys... my interpretation (and obviously I could be 100% wrong) is less that he's insecure, and more that he's generally trying to advice younger talent to take less bumps and wrestle a safer style for their own benefit. But because Orton is a bit of a dick, he just comes off more negative than it needs to. Though in CIampas case specifically, I do wonder if this isn't part of some work which will ultimately lead to Orton having a short run in NXT. That could just be wishful thinking though.
    that 1st part doesn't sound like orton at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    pretty much unrelated but i've personally always found orton much more entertaining than edge

rhea had nothing to sacrifice for io, all she did was take a pin. she sacrificed her title and momentum to charlotte months before. if it was intended to create a new top star io should've pinned charlotte or at the very least pinned rhea on her own.

that 1st part doesn't sound like orton at all.
    WWE sacrificed Rhea getting a win over Charlotte and the title for Io winning the title and getting the win. But I do agree that Io should beat Rhea on her own. I would PRESUME that once Charlotte is out of the picture (she might still get a rematch) Rhea and Io can feud for the title. A win over Rhea probably would help cement Io being a top person, as you can argue her win at IYH was somewhat of a fluke.

As far as advicing wrestlers not sounding like Orton.... that may be true. I just have an easier time buying that over him being insecure over guy who wrestle different styles. If he can wrestle a safer style while still getting over and being a top guy, then hes being smarter about it. He's not nothing to be insecure about. With a light schedule and a pretty fat long term guranteed contract, I think Orton is pretty untouchable to any NXT guys at this point. A younger more upcoming like like maybe Drew might have reason to feel insecure about protecting his spot ... but I think Orton is pretty much set for the rest of his career.

Orton is only as good as he wants to be.

Motivated Orton is amazing. One of the best of the past decade or so. His character game is on point. His flow in the ring is beautiful. But when Orton doesn't want to do something and phones it in he's one of the most boring wrestlers on the planet. An absolute chore to sit through.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans