Astonishing Member
    Last edited by steve2275; 06-14-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Astonishing Member

I'm not saying Red Rooster was a perfect fit on Taylor, but there was nothing wrong with the gimmick itself. Junkyard Dog was a dog! Jake the Snake was a Snake! The Killer Bees were bees! Koko B Ware was an exotic bird! In today's era, Randy Orton is a Viper! Prince Puma is a puma! The Colony are Ants! What's inherently wrong with a Rooster?

I do agree that maybe the top 5% of the talent can make anything work, but for the remaining 95% you have to find that right character that's an over-exaggeration of their actual personality.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I'm not saying Red Rooster was a perfect fit on Taylor, but there was nothing wrong with the gimmick itself. Junkyard Dog was a dog! Jake the Snake was a Snake! The Killer Bees were bees! Koko B Ware was an exotic bird! In today's era, Randy Orton is a Viper! Prince Puma is a puma! The Colony are Ants! What's inherently wrong with a Rooster?

I do agree that maybe the top 5% of the talent can make anything work, but for the remaining 95% you have to find that right character that's an over-exaggeration of their actual personality.
    To be fair Junkyard Dog went by that in Mid-South and built his name not on being a "dog". He was just a smooth talking , ass kicking black guy the audience loved. Sure he was named Junkyard Dog but the WWF just played that name up dog wise. Jake Roberts was a devious man nicknamed "Snake" because he carried a snake to the ring in a bag. Randy Orton was a Legend Killer and someone whose cold personality as a heel got him a nickname the viper. Not because he'd act like a snake. Ko-Ko B Ware carried the bird Frankie to the ring and hell went by that name in Memphis.

None of those gimmicks was the actual person acting like an animal. They were given nicknames on that on what they carried to the ring ala KoKo and Jake. But in Red Roosters case he was told to go out and act like a fucking rooster and caw and all kinds of goofy crap as we saw in promo.

It was a **** gimmick. Its like Beaver Cleavange in late 90's. Terrible gimmicks that just failed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    To be fair Junkyard Dog went by that in Mid-South and built his name not on being a "dog". He was just a smooth talking , ass kicking black guy the audience loved. Sure he was named Junkyard Dog but the WWF just played that name up dog wise. Jake Roberts was a devious man nicknamed "Snake" because he carried a snake to the ring in a bag. Randy Orton was a Legend Killer and someone whose cold personality as a heel got him a nickname the viper. Not because he'd act like a snake. Ko-Ko B Ware carried the bird Frankie to the ring and hell went by that name in Memphis.

None of those gimmicks was the actual person acting like an animal. They were given nicknames on that on what they carried to the ring ala KoKo and Jake. But in Red Roosters case he was told to go out and act like a fucking rooster and caw and all kinds of goofy crap as we saw in promo.

It was a **** gimmick. Its like Beaver Cleavange in late 90's. Terrible gimmicks that just failed.
    KoKo literally flapped his arms in the ring like a bird

Garbage gimmick but attached to a vibrant personality.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    KoKo literally flapped his arms in the ring like a bird

Garbage gimmick but attached to a vibrant personality.
    His nickname was "Bird Man" because he carried a bird to the ring and would flap his arms to play off it. Sure he did do that. But he didn't cut promos chirping and believing he was a bird and do promos like that. Also as Ko Ko moved away from the Bird Man gimmick at the end he had a tag team as we saw with Owen Hart...

The announcers even try to distance the Bird Man name away as we hear...as one questions where Frankie is , the other answers sarcastically. Monsoon even coins how Ko Ko is now Mr. Electricity himself.

Had they not had Taylor doing rooster noises and dressing as one , maybe it could have worked. Maybe a nickname "Rooster" would have worked best and had Taylor be an arrogant heel who coined he was head of the pen etc with a beat up red cowboy hat . But well the entire execution was terrible.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Amazing Member

Edge vs Randy was really good. Not sure if best ever, but really good.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah Orton vs Edge is up there. Not the greatest but pretty damn good especially near the end.

Mcintyre vs Lashley was surprisingly good also. Probably Lashley's best performance yet he was lookin like a Champ.

Ultimate Member

Apollo vs. Andrade was a good match and I was happy that Crews won. Crews vs. Garza now please.

The Women's tag match was a fun, if sloppy, match. Sasha and Bayley vs, Tegan amd Shotzi should be awesome.

Sheamus vs. Jeff was another fun if sloppy match. Jeff sold his ass off and Sheamus looked like a beast. Not sure about the logic of Sheamus winning though.

Asuka vs. Nia was disappointing, Not just the lame finish, but these two have had good matches in the past. But Nia looked bad here.

The Universal Title match was, fun.

Drew vs. Lsshley was really good. Both men looked really badass here.

The brawl was, IDK WTF that was? But it was entertaining, especially Yakuza leader Tozawa.

Edge vs. Randy was really cool. Not the greatest wrestling match ever, but really good nonetheless.

Overall a pretty enjoyable show imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah Orton vs Edge is up there. Not the greatest but pretty damn good especially near the end.

Mcintyre vs Lashley was surprisingly good also. Probably Lashley's best performance yet he was lookin like a Champ.

Drew and Lashley had a really good match in Impact as well. So I knew they could do it if they were given a chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post

My feelings exactly, Without a doubt a helluva showing from Lashley. I cringed when he dumped Drew on his head on the outside.

Astonishing Member

This was my favorite Lashley match ever. He did a great job. His match both told a story and had some great wrestling. Some cool offensive maneuvers I didn't know he could do in there!

Really not a terrible match on the card here. There's really only been a handful of stinkers in the pandemic era.

Edge vs. Orton did mostly deliver! I thought the weird angles and obviously piped in noise distracted at first, but I got used to it eventually. They told a story that also was a tribute to the wrestling of their era.

The things you discover...DAMN. In fact I'm watching "The Untold Story of ECW" on the WWE network from 2016. Heyman reveals some wild things..

- His parents put in loans totaling more than $4 million. That the loans in total over the years went that far.

- During the whole ECW/WWF invasion angle , Heyman in early 1997 had a deal worked where he would host WWF Shotgun Saturday Night and discussed its development (it was WWF's 1st attempt at an ECW style show) . That this was part of the working arrangement aspect that had started but he got cold feet at the day he was supposed to tape the show and no showed it. That he just couldn't do the show.

- Heyman claims he had a deal worked out with such an unlikely company that was gonna buy 49% of ECW it would have changed the landscape of wrestling business. That company.....Walt Disney. The Disney company was looking to expand into different venues and was gonna buy a 49% stake and part of a PPV company as well to get lots of profits from ECW. As Heyman claims it got so close , it went to the very top and finally one of the key executives saw what ECW was and said the company did not fit what Disney was and pulled the plug on the deal.

- The local channel that aired ECW in Philadelphia had no clue what they were airing. They had ECW airing at supper time at 6pm on Tuesdays.

- Bubba Ray handled a ton of ECW business aspects from Merch sales , tickets to more behind the scenes. That people were stunned he was the guy doing this. He had no actual business degree but had learned from watching his parents. Also as Bubba tells ECW had no actual office. They were going to a local restaurants on the road and doing business there.

- Bubba claims that ECW was like Sex Pistols and that they were constantly fighting to grow the brand. He details a funny story where he has to cut checks to Time Warner cable in New York because its due. So he gets with Paul who as Bubba claims was constantly acting slick at times and said he Fed Ex'd them to him. He is like , ok ...tell me the tracking number. So Paul rattles off insane numbers..."Paul , that is 1 number too many..." "Oh just forget the final ones then..."

- Taz is there after 6 years away. He admits Paul was great to hype everyone up backstage and sell them on being this group who wasn't wanted by mainstream. That he helped make Taz the guy he was there as he'd pump him up before shows. And its revealed...Taz designed all the merch. He designed the classic ECW shirts and more. Taz had no degree in this either and people loved his taste.

- The ECW dojo or school was basically given to Taz to run as he saw fit. A fact Paul claims he said , this is yours. It may have ECW name on it , but this is your baby Taz. You run this so make it grow as you want. A fact Taz backs up right there that was his deal. Also the building they found in Brooklyn.

- Taz is asked if any students made it through that became famous and Taz admits he doesn't think any did. That the "House of Hardcore" didn't have any big famous workers. Even though Chris Chetti , Danny Doring and Roadkill all became staples of ECW from 1998-2001. Bubba Ray jumps to his defense and claims that his training when he started was so awful he won't mention the guys name. But it was Dreamer , Saturn , and Taz who taught him how to work better. That he learned more off those guys while helping at House of Hardcore.

- Whenever something went wrong or they needed to get tough with people on venue etc ...they created a guy called Winston Brands for Bubba to call as. Like when Taz needed a dressing room or something Winston Brands called.

ill watch some more later...but the Disney deal possibly happening is stunning...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Drew and Lashley had a really good match in Impact as well. So I knew they could do it if they were given a chance to.
    I gotta check that out on youtube. But yeah these guys are setting up to have a really good feud for years to come.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    My feelings exactly, Without a doubt a helluva showing from Lashley. I cringed when he dumped Drew on his head on the outside.
    Yeah Lashley has continued to up his game since he came back, impressive.

Extraordinary Member

Man, putting Edge vs Orton on right after the Viking Profits brawl was a huge mistake.

Going from fun, crazy nonsense to a Randy Orton match is just unbearable, I couldn't make it more than 15 minutes in before I turned the thing off.