Page 154 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 541041441501511521531541551561571581642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 19298
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Wasn't the Fingerpoke of Doom supposed to represent that the nWo was back together again, be it Black and White or Red and Black. People always miss the point. It wasn't the fact that you missed out on a championship match. It was that the nWo gained more numbers and it was more powerful than ever before.
    by then, the NWO was a shell of it's former self. sure, they had the members but it was far too late to keep them alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They did at the expanse of Goldberg who's win streak was their biggest draw at the time. They killed his mystique in favor of something that already grew stale by that point.

also didn't help things for them that tony schiavone famously spoiled that mankind was winning the world title, which he thought was gonna give nitro a ratings bump, which had the oppsite reaction. after that, WCW never beat raw in the ratings war ever again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    by then, the NWO was a shell of it's former self. sure, they had the members but it was far too late to keep them alive.

also didn't help things for them that tony schiavone famously spoiled that mankind was winning the world title, which he thought was gonna give nitro a ratings bump, which had the oppsite reaction. after that, WCW never beat raw in the ratings war ever again.
    Exactly.

The finger poke of doom was one of the worst examples of "top guys booking power" gone awry. This sort of nonsense should have never been involved in a World Heavyweight title match at that point in time.

It was simply a case of guys putting their egos over common sense. The NWO was diluted corpse by this time (this was in 1999, the NWO wasn't what it was in its hey day) and whatever heat they had had since gone, it didn't make sense from a booking standpoint and it only alienated the fans further.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-31-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    So, I’m reading somewhere that Hulk Hogan might appear at Crown Jewel.

If that is indeed the case then I’m definitely not watching Crown Jewel.

I have no interest in anything that has to do with Hogan.
    really, hogan's the deal breaker there?? i mean don't get me wrong, crown jewel and hogan can both eat a dick but still.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    LOL no ... he's a big part but without Vince, there's no WWF. Rock, Stone Cold, Cena ... all beat records Hogan set. Even Macho, Andre, and Flair did, too.

They've been Hoganless for decades and have done well. The 90s outdid the 80s in the end ... that's a silly thing to say.

Hogan's a big deal but he was never THE deal. That's always been Vince.
    but would the 90's have even been possible w/o the success of hulkamania in the 80's??

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    this, among other things (screwing over macho man, the dungeon of doom, screwing over shawn in their feud, and his whole run with TNA.)
    can't see how ANYBODY could feel bad for hbk there. he got just a little taste of his own medicine and acted like the complete bitch he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    While Hogan is definitely a gigantic piece of ****, downplaying his importance to the WWF/E is stupid. If WrestleMania hadn't been a huge success, Vince's hope for a national expansion would've fallen flat on it's face and the WWF probably ends up a footnote in history of failed territories that bit off more than it could chew. Say what you will about the guy behind the character, but Hulk Hogan sparked the two biggest boom periods in the history of wrestling and there's no one else that can even come close to a claim like that.
    that part. and i HATE to admit that. i've hated hogan since i was a child and only hate him more now but the truth is the truth.

And THE GUY has changed 3 times since then, all getting bigger than Hogan.

Vince is the common thread. No Vince, no WWF.

Hogan is important in the run up (definitely on the Mount Rushmore of wrestling) but I don't think if you erase Hogan from history, the WWF dies. Andre and Macho were primed to go.

I do, however, think if you erase Bruno ... the WWF dies. Not even Austin (Rock was still there) would have that impact. Same with Cena. Vince always has backup plans.
    i have to say no way on andre, and as much as i'd like to believe(and would've loved to see) macho could've ran with the ball i have serious doubts he could've done so as successfully as hogan did. there's just no way of knowing how that would've turned out.

Astonishing Member

mr. 100k subscribers

justified ranting?
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

BANNED

It's now emerged that Bryan had made up his mind not to go to Saudi Arabia before the whole matter of the journalist's murder came up. Bryan was unhappy with the country's persecution of homosexuality and he took issue with Sammy Zayn being left off the card. He didn't want the win over the Miz at Super Showdown either

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone...we-crown-jewel

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's now emerged that Bryan had made up his mind not to go to Saudi Arabia before the whole matter of the journalist's murder came up. Bryan was unhappy with the country's persecution of homosexuality and he took issue with Sammy Zayn being left off the card. He didn't want the win over the Miz at Super Showdown either

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone...we-crown-jewel
    Good on him.

My respect for Mr Danielson has gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    Sammartino was crucial but his drawing power was limited to the Northeast. Also, Andre served in the special attraction role, not as the main guy. Matter of fact if you look at a lot of old WWF posters he was headlining mostly B house shows. As for Savage, he wasn't coming off the popularity from a movie like Hogan. Hogan was so important b/c WWE's main source of revenue then was house shows.

BTW, that's Silver Surfer in your avy, no?
    Without Bruno creating the big bucks in the NE, Toots and Jess would never have had the capitol from CWC to give Senior for WWWF and later, the ability to eat territories under Senior and Vince. And get out from the thumb of the NWA.

Macho was more of a friend to Vince than Hogan ever was, so If Hogan was never around, I don't think it's hard to speculate that he could've been big, too. Andre still would've been there to help boost.

But we'll never know.

And yes, my avatar is the Silver Sentinel of the Spaceways!
    Andre was almost as in bad a shape then as he was at WM 3 when he could barely move and he'd already been working for the WWWF/WWF well before then. Also, why Savage was a fantastic talent, he wasn't pulling the same star power that Hogan was and he benefited a lot from working in the midcard until his WWF Title push. I wouldn't disagree about Bruno.
    Let me rephrase what I meant about Andre. He still would've been there just that some of his later feuds probably could have been pushed to Macho. Macho was in with Vince and family better than Hogan at the time, so I really don't think it's hard to believe that Macho would've been given the chance to shine like Hogan.

But it's something we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

but would the 90's have even been possible w/o the success of hulkamania in the 80's??
    I think so. Vince probably would've tried some crazy stuff sooner perhaps. I think the real question about Hogan's impact on the 90s is ... would WCW have lasted as long or still be around had Hogan never come knocking? That's the one I can't wrap me head around. Part of me thinks WCW would still be alive had Hogan not come over or had left sooner. But then you still have other hands still stirring the pot that did worse damage than Hogan dig politically. The other part of me thinks Hulkamania becoming the nWo is the only reason we got the mega boom in the 90s.

i have to say no way on andre, and as much as i'd like to believe(and would've loved to see) macho could've ran with the ball i have serious doubts he could've done so as successfully as hogan did. there's just no way of knowing how that would've turned out.
    That's what TNM7, Extreme Wrestling Warfare Revenge, FirePro, and TEW are for!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    really, hogan's the deal breaker there?? i mean don't get me wrong, crown jewel and hogan can both eat a dick but still.

can't see how ANYBODY could feel bad for hbk there. he got just a little taste of his own medicine and acted like the complete bitch he is.

that part. and i HATE to admit that. i've hated hogan since i was a child and only hate him more now but the truth is the truth.

hey, never said shawn was a saint. we all know he was a ******* back in the day. just calling it like i sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner
    Without Bruno creating the big bucks in the NE, Toots and Jess would never have had the capital from CWC to give Senior for WWWF and later, the ability to eat territories under Senior and Vince. And get out from the thumb of the NWA.

Macho was more of a friend to Vince than Hogan ever was, so If Hogan was never around, I don't think it's hard to speculate that he could've been big, too. Andre still would've been there to help boost.

But we'll never know.
    Rogers was the reason that Senior and Mondt were able to leave the NWA and form the WWWF. He was such a big draw that Senior preferred him as champ as he had his booking rights. Bruno wasn't yet Bruno in the CWC years. In fact, he was paired w/ Rocca in tag matches to give him the rub.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner
    Let me rephrase what I meant about Andre. He still would've been there just that some of his later feuds probably could have been pushed to Macho. Macho was in with Vince and family better than Hogan at the time, so I really don't think it's hard to believe that Macho would've been given the chance to shine like Hogan.

But it's something we'll never know.
    Gotcha! FWIW Savage did have matches against Andre during his IC and World Title reigns, which I'm sure served to give him the rub.
    If you ever attended a WWE house show, PPV or non-TV taping live event take this survey: https://forms.gle/vov5q3465p2GrJq68

BANNED

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Just what we needed in this thread: someone else posting that dipshit's videos.

Just what we needed in this thread: someone else posting that dipshit's videos.
    It wasn't Gryph, either!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I don't like JD either, just thought there was an audience for him (hence the reason they're uploaded all the time here)

I'd best stick to something I like more

It wasn't Gryph, either!
    I don't think I ever have posted those

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I don't think I ever have posted those
    You haven't link dumped in a long time.

And you have grown to have good taste.

I enjoy your posts.