Page 558 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 584585085485545555565575585595605615625686086581058 ... LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 19298
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    And frankly, I don't blame them. Page feels like a guy that you build up gradually, having him win here feels like jumping the gun too soon. Also it was probably a bit foolish on AEW's part to expect that the champion of one company, was going to lose to a lower-midcard guy on a debut show. That almost NEVER happens and for good reason.
    The guys of AEW already trying to get their mates over at expense of others then...

You know, if it was Nash, Hall etc rather than internet favourite Cody and the Young Bucks, running this new promotion doing exactly the same thing the criticism and hate would be everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    The guys of AEW already trying to get their mates over at expense of others then...

You know, if it was Nash, Hall etc rather than internet favourite Cody and the Young Bucks, running this new promotion doing exactly the same thing the criticism and hate would be everywhere.
    This is pretty much what happens when wrestlers book. History has proven that time and time again. Nothing against Page, but I don't think anyone should be THAT surprised that he was going to go over PAC. We all know what core group of guys will be the focus of the company. Not that they're not good enough to justify their spot... but everyone outside of that inner circle will probably spend a good deal of time on the outside looking in unless their last name is Jericho and their first name is Chris. Putting wrestlers in charge doesn't eliminate politics... it usually makes it worse.

Astonishing Member
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So PAC vs Hangman Page has been removed from the Double or Nothing card.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

on one hand, i can see why pac didn't want to job out to page, which has already been said.

on the other, i can see why they would want page to go over on pac. they are really trying to build him up to ME status and pac is one of the big stars on the indie/international scene. not sure who else could do the job needed to get page over right now.

but it's a shame. i was really looking forward to this match.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    on one hand, i can see why pac didn't want to job out to page, which has already been said.

on the other, i can see why they would want page to go over on pac. they are really trying to build him up to ME status and pac is one of the big stars on the indie/international scene. not sure who else could do the job needed to get page over right now.

but it's a shame. i was really looking forward to this match.
    In hindsight, you can pretty easily see why this would be a problem though. If they couldn't come up with a finish which works (maybe a screwjob ending or whatever that gives someone a protected loss), then they should have simply given both different opponents.

Usually I'm not a fan of catering to wrestlers who don't want to job, and in the long run it's probably better for PAC to walk earlier than later if this is going to be an issue. That said, I would think they would want to avoid this sort of drama before their very first show. It already seems like we're getting backstage politics issues and they haven't even gotten out of the gate yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In hindsight, you can pretty easily see why this would be a problem though. If they couldn't come up with a finish which works (maybe a screwjob ending or whatever that gives someone a protected loss), then they should have simply given both different opponents.

Usually I'm not a fan of catering to wrestlers who don't want to job, and in the long run it's probably better for PAC to walk earlier than later if this is going to be an issue. That said, I would think they would want to avoid this sort of drama before their very first show. It already seems like we're getting backstage politics issues and they haven't even gotten out of the gate yet.
    A screwjob finish is the worst thing they can do as their match was allegedly for the AEW world title. You can't establish your top title on the wrong foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A screwjob finish is the worst thing they can do as their match was allegedly for the AEW world title. You can't establish your top title on the wrong foot.
    Page was seriously their top guy? That was the guy they were going to put the belt on and build the company around? Hmmm... okay.

Either way I think they're already starting out their top title on the wrong foot.

Page was seriously their top guy? That was the guy they were going to put the belt on and build the company around? Hmmm... okay.

Either way I think they're already starting out their top title on the wrong foot.
    They seriously want to build Page as a top guy and that's why they wanted him to go over PAC. Since PAC doesn't want to do jobs while he's Dragon Gate's champion that hit a roadblock. It was something they should have taken care of months ago.

They seriously want to build Page as a top guy and that's why they wanted him to go over PAC. Since PAC doesn't want to do jobs while he's Dragon Gate's champion that hit a roadblock. It was something they should have taken care of months ago.
    I get wanting to build a guy up, but giving a mid-card level guy the world title on your first show doesn't really qualify as building him up.

Not that the guy doesn't have talent, but it almost screams nepotism. Have him chase at least a LITTLE bit.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post
    I wonder why
    Gryph's sources are dubious, so who knows the real reason.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

I get wanting to build a guy up, but giving a mid-card level guy the world title on your first show doesn't really qualify as building him up.

Not that the guy doesn't have talent, but it almost screams nepotism. Have him chase at least a LITTLE bit.
    What's there to chase? It's the first show and there is no champion. The tournament format is unfeasible unless they have a series of shows lined up or are ok with their guys working 2 or 3 matches on the same night. Better off picking who they want their top talent to be and have the match be for a title. They have a pre-show battle royale to determine who will be #1 contender. With how they book this there's no time for chasing.

What's there to chase? It's the first show and there is no champion. The tournament format is unfeasible unless they have a series of shows lined up or are ok with their guys working 2 or 3 matches on the same night. Better off picking who they want their top talent to be and have the match be for a title. They have a pre-show battle royale to determine who will be #1 contender. With how they book this there's no time for chasing.
    Have him chase by giving the title to a more established guy first, like Jericho or Omega or Cody or whatever and then have Page beat that person down the line. Just because you want this guy to be a main eventer and champion doesn't mean you necessarily have to accomplish it all in one night on your very first show.
    Last edited by XPac; 05-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

According to another report, Pac was actually supposed to beat Page, but lose to Kenny later on. But Dragon Gate wasn't cool with this either because, well they've given him this unbeaten streak since his return and want him to look like a monster so that whomever does eventually beat him will be a new top guy. So letting that all get spoiled on another show, made no sense form their perspective.

Also AEW wants "wins and losses to matter," hence why they didn't want to do a DQ/screwy-finish (Pac's matches in places like Rev-Pro and OTT have tended to end in DQ's and/or time limit draws). AEW also didn't want to do the draw because they don't think that it would be received well by the fans.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Could be a work, or it could be due to PAC having Visa issues.

From what I understand, in kayfabe anyways, Hangman and PAC has a fight at some other wrestling event and PAC ends up crippling him with a chair. He says "I wanted to hurt you, to cripple you, to beat you, and I've done just that. I'm not going to Vegas, I'm not going to Double or Nothing, I'm not going to AEW'.

So it could all be a work to either have him show up anyways, or have Nox show up in his place as a big surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ve5r1r076Q
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/