Page 577 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 774775275675735745755765775785795805815876276771077 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,655 of 19298
    Ultimate Member

RE: Double or Nothing, I think Cody breaking the "Triple H" chair was a bit corny.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post
    nice to see xia li stick around play cheerleader
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    RE: Double or Nothing, I think Cody breaking the "Triple H" chair was a bit corny.
    Considering how Triple H and DX took repeated shots at AEW during their HOF speech, I'd say that turnabout is fair play in this case.

As for WWE's talent, they have 5-7 HOURS of programming every single week, so there's no excuse for them not to feature their talent better. Heck Impact does a better job of it with far less time per week. And when point to the current champions, the problem there is that they're not being booked any differently. Becky is a great example, how she's been booked since the RR shows that Vince and co do NOT understand what made her current character so over to begin with, and they've squandered multiple opportunities to really cement her as a top babyface in favor of "generic WWE booking." Then you have the same old people still in the title picture (Brock and Charlotte specifically) despite fans being tired of them ALWAYS being there.

Meanwhile so much other talent is being held down/not used as a result. I mean they had a golden opportunity at MITB to do something new or make some new stars, and instead they went with the same old same old again. And that's what they've been doing since Mania actually, sliding back into the same old habits that people have been getting burnt out on.

THAT'S why AEW has such excitement about it. The hope that there might finally be a major viable alternative coming and, perhaps, it might force WWE to change and try new things (because Vince has shown before that he's more inclined to do that when he has viable companies to challenge him).
    Last edited by Punisher007; 05-27-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This confused me thoroughly.

I thought he signed a multi year deal with AEW?

I guess their contracts are not exclusive.
    The big name talent don't sign exclusive contracts. Jericho and Omega can still work New Japan if they want. Jericho is wrestling Okada in two weeks.

When it comes to WWE I've reached a point where I don't think I can enjoy the main product unless Vince finally steps down. The company refuses to fix it's fundamental problems and it never will with Vince in charge.

Ultimate Member

Apparently according to NJPW, their deal with Moxley is independent of his deal with AEW and they sealed it with him awhile ago.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Considering how Triple H and DX took repeated shots at AEW during their HOF speech, I'd say that turnabout is fair play in this case.

As for WWE's talent, they have 5-7 HOURS of programming every single week, so there's no excuse for them not to feature their talent better. Heck Impact does a better job of it with far less time per week. And when point to the current champions, the problem there is that they're not being booked any differently. Becky is a great example, how she's been booked since the RR shows that Vince and co do NOT understand what made her current character so over to begin with, and they've squandered multiple opportunities to really cement her as a top babyface in favor of "generic WWE booking." Then you have the same old people still in the title picture (Brock and Charlotte specifically) despite fans being tired of them ALWAYS being there.

Meanwhile so much other talent is being held down/not used as a result. I mean they had a golden opportunity at MITB to do something new or make some new stars, and instead they went with the same old same old again. And that's what they've been doing since Mania actually, sliding back into the same old habits that people have been getting burnt out on.

THAT'S why AEW has such excitement about it. The hope that there might finally be a major viable alternative coming and, perhaps, it might force WWE to change and try new things (because Vince has shown before that he's more inclined to do that when he has viable companies to challenge him).
    and it sucks because the main roster has so much talent but they either don't get used or don't get used properly. shinsuke nakamura used to be one of the biggest guys signed to the E and now, he barely comes on screen.

hopefully, this forces vince to change because it's all on him. we know trips has a vision for the company and a solid understanding for booking talent on nearly all levels. so at this point, it's all on vince to either evolve the E or watch it rot and die.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Didn't Billy Gunn bring them up since he was going to be working for them and Hunter just decided to bust his balls about it? Getting in your feelings over that is pretty pathetic. 'Course, Cody's not much better for that cheap shot he took at Bayley and the half-assed Twitter apology afterwards.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The WWE really has this weird thing about competition. They need it clearly to help themselves. Yet hate sharing that "spotlight" and effect it causes. The WWE is likely viewing the AEW deal as a serious one. Unlike where Dixie Carter was a smart business woman who helped do TV deals , she didn't know the actual wrestling business and as we saw it finally played a part in her downfall (she trusted the wrong people in Hogan/Bischoff and lost the company) . Khan seems to be handing things to guys who know the business (Rhodes , Bucks , Gunn and Jim Ross). Plus he has a billionaire family behind him so he has the pockets to compete.

HHH may make jokes on TV and act like its nothing. But he likely knows AEW raiding Malenko , Ambrose and Jericho is a sign...things are getting serious. Plus a lot of young guys in WWE likely are tired of waiting for their spots and chances. Your gonna see disgruntled guys see AEW and think...we can go there and get our chance. So yeah its one of those things that its talking tough onscreen and all..but inside the company is likely thinking , uh oh.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The WWE really has this weird thing about competition. They need it clearly to help themselves. Yet hate sharing that "spotlight" and effect it causes. The WWE is likely viewing the AEW deal as a serious one. Unlike where Dixie Carter was a smart business woman who helped do TV deals , she didn't know the actual wrestling business and as we saw it finally played a part in her downfall (she trusted the wrong people in Hogan/Bischoff and lost the company) . Khan seems to be handing things to guys who know the business (Rhodes , Bucks , Gunn and Jim Ross). Plus he has a billionaire family behind him so he has the pockets to compete.

HHH may make jokes on TV and act like its nothing. But he likely knows AEW raiding Malenko , Ambrose and Jericho is a sign...things are getting serious. Plus a lot of young guys in WWE likely are tired of waiting for their spots and chances. Your gonna see disgruntled guys see AEW and think...we can go there and get our chance. So yeah its one of those things that its talking tough onscreen and all..but inside the company is likely thinking , uh oh.
    Honestly I still think WWE believes AEW will be out of business in like 5 years. Their entire business model of paying as much (or more) while providing benefits and running less shows with an off season just seems super risky. Khan has money sure, but unlike Vince he likely won't put every cent he has into making sure his wrestling company survives because its' frankly just a side project.

Again, I'm not HOPING AEW crashes and burns... I'm just saying that's what I think the WWE thinks long term. I think WWE probably does have some concern over AEW taking their spotlight... and they will. But as a long term threat, I'm not sure they are as worried.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I still think WWE believes AEW will be out of business in like 5 years. Their entire business model of paying as much (or more) while providing benefits and running less shows with an off season just seems super risky. Khan has money sure, but unlike Vince he likely won't put every cent he has into making sure his wrestling company survives because its' frankly just a side project.

Again, I'm not HOPING AEW crashes and burns... I'm just saying that's what I think the WWE thinks long term. I think WWE probably does have some concern over AEW taking their spotlight... and they will. But as a long term threat, I'm not sure they are as worried.
    AEW is likely looking at what TNA did successful in a way while gaining new and older talent from 2006-2009 before the spending and decision making went to ****. TNA was running few live shows and managed to run them outside Orlando wisely then. They also were using TV deals to help them as we saw. Jarrett himself said the company was turning an ok profit in that period in an interview.

AEW can start working on TV deals outside the US market and grow the company that way to pay costs etc. They can continue to hold 3-4 PPV's a year and judging from the attendance at Double Or Nothing they seem to draw very well. Its slowly growing that TV audience and doing shows wisely that will be the big things. But if I was the WWE I wouldn't be thinking how AEW won't be around in 5 years. They have a man already who loves competition in Ted Turner.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Didn't Billy Gunn bring them up since he was going to be working for them and Hunter just decided to bust his balls about it? Getting in your feelings over that is pretty pathetic. 'Course, Cody's not much better for that cheap shot he took at Bayley and the half-assed Twitter apology afterwards.
    Cody never took a shot at Bayley. Frankly, the inflatable tube men are dumb. That's not Bayley's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

If you look at WWE's earnings they are ain't making their money on live attendance or house shows. It's mostly been TV deals and ad revenue. WWE themselves don't need to do all the live shows they do to stay in business. Especially how much live attendance for TV, PPVs and house shows have been dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If you look at WWE's earnings they are ain't making their money on live attendance or house shows. It's mostly been TV deals and ad revenue. WWE themselves don't need to do all the live shows they do to stay in business. Especially how much live attendance for TV, PPVs and house shows have been dropping.
    Wwe doesn't need house shows because they're getting like a billion dollars from Fox alone. But wwe is in a different category thsn sny other wrestling promotion. Not everyone is going to be paid 200 million dollars a year.

But we'll see. Wrestling right now isn't hot, so I wouldn't expect AEW to necessarily having massive ratings. But if they can ignite another Monday night wars with WWE, maybe that can change. Hopefully.