Page 658 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 1585586086486546556566576586596606616626687087581158 ... LastLast
Results 9,856 to 9,870 of 19298
    Ultimate Member

TNA used to push things a bit further than WWE. Like I distinctly remember several Raven matches where he got his forehead sliced open with a pizza cutter, and one with Sean Waltman where Waltman used a staple gun on him. Also Abyss and Sabu had a barbed wire match, etc.

But still, not nearly on the level of what Ian Rotten and co do. Also some fans seem to forget that ECW wasn't JUST about hardcore and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about this.

As much as people look back at the Attitude Era with rose tinted glasses, there was a lot more junk and rubbish on the shows displayed just for shock value. In my opinion, the Ruthless Aggression Era was a far better era than the Attitude Era (although that era still had a lot of female objectification).

I’m not against an edgier WWE but I honestly feel they just need better booking and more equity in said booking.
    My biggest issue of the attitude era (which was super fun, but I'll agree overrated in a lot of aspects) was that the actual wrestling took a backseat to Russo's crash TV. But Heyman I think does a much better job at balancing the wrestling with the shock value than Russo ever could, so I'm somewhat optimistic that we'll get a better ratio here.

And FOX seems to want a more legitimate sports looking product, so I don't think they'll go full attitude era either.

We'll see of course,

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    TNA used to push things a bit further than WWE. Like I distinctly remember several Raven matches where he got his forehead sliced open with a pizza cutter, and one with Sean Waltman where Waltman used a staple gun on him. Also Abyss and Sabu had a barbed wire match, etc.

But still, not nearly on the level of what Ian Rotten and co do. Also some fans seem to forget that ECW wasn't JUST about hardcore and blood.
    Yeah, ECW wasn't just about hardcore stuff... they just popularized it for a whole generation of wrestling fans. Even ECW was tame compared to some of the junk stuff we can see on youtube. But I just know in the back of these guys minds, they're hearing the chant "ECW" echoing as they're jumping off a barn roof into a truck bed filled with light bulbs or whatever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Speaking of the Attitude era and WWE its being reported by Meltzer that the WWE now wants the teenage audience back. They are worried they will lose it to AEW when it launches this fall.
    Frankly I think that's Meltzer talking nonsense for his friends at AEW. there is no way that WWE are worried they will loose the teenage auidance to AEW.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    My biggest issue of the attitude era (which was super fun, but I'll agree overrated in a lot of aspects) was that the actual wrestling took a backseat to Russo's crash TV. But Heyman I think does a much better job at balancing the wrestling with the shock value than Russo ever could, so I'm somewhat optimistic that we'll get a better ratio here.

And FOX seems to want a more legitimate sports looking product, so I don't think they'll go full attitude era either.

We'll see of course,
    Heyman is more about edginess than trash TV. Heyman isn't known to push things to the point where they feel exploitive.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Frankly I think that's Meltzer talking nonsense for his friends at AEW. there is no way that WWE are worried they will loose the teenage auidance to AEW.
    It's not nonsense. The WWE's primary TV demographic are people in their 50s. If you look at the crowds of the two AEW shows they are far younger. Anywhere from mid 20s to early 30s. It's not difficult to believe that a company run by young people can attract young people.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Honestly I don't think WWE is THAT worried per say... AEW isn't real competition for them yet and likely won't be for a long long time, if every.

That said, I do think WWE is probably aware that AEW's core base is likely younger, and WWE probably does want to challenge them for that to some degree. I think WWE might be more motivated by competition than legitimate fear.

But I suspect Heyman in particular would be targeting that demo even if AEW didn't exist. I think that's likey more in Heymans comfort zone over a PG product anyways.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's not nonsense. The WWE's primary TV demographic are people in their 50s. If you look at the crowds of the two AEW shows they are far younger. Anywhere from mid 20s to early 30s. It's not difficult to believe that a company run by young people can attract young people.
    but i'm only 45 LOL
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

What is amazing is even Jeff Jarrett would bleed. In fact people always would say what an ego Jeff had and how he was HHH of TNA . But I just Genesis 2009 where he was playing the face to Kurt Angle. And he literally bled like crazy after taking a head shot with a ring bell. I mean bled so much the blood literally dried on his face by the end of match and took some major bumps. (He at one point took an Angle slam off the entrance ramp and half missed the table as his body landed with a thud on floor)

The match was good for what it was and Jarrett even sold a post match beat down as well to Kurt. To sell him as this huge heel.

Heyman is more about edginess than trash TV. Heyman isn't known to push things to the point where they feel exploitive.
    I fully expect Heyman to really do his Smackdown type run in a way from early 2000's. He will have some backstage stuff but he will have his product mirror what he was doing on Smackdown for 2+ years (and Vince later admitted he fucked up removing Heyman off it due to issues he had with him) .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Watching the first night of G1. Man, this should have booked a smaller venue for this. It kills me to see how empty the arena is

Extraordinary Member

So, what is the Thread's consensus on Jushin Thunder Liger?

Watching the first night of G1. Man, this should have booked a smaller venue for this. It kills me to see how empty the arena is
    Yeah it's really shocking how empty it is. It's a shame cause the A Block is gonna have some awesome matchups tonight. Can't wait for Kenta/Kota.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Living Legend,pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    My favorite japanesse wrestler as a kid. I'm shocked he's still going

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    What is amazing is even Jeff Jarrett would bleed. In fact people always would say what an ego Jeff had and how he was HHH of TNA . But I just Genesis 2009 where he was playing the face to Kurt Angle. And he literally bled like crazy after taking a head shot with a ring bell. I mean bled so much the blood literally dried on his face by the end of match and took some major bumps. (He at one point took an Angle slam off the entrance ramp and half missed the table as his body landed with a thud on floor)

The match was good for what it was and Jarrett even sold a post match beat down as well to Kurt. To sell him as this huge heel.

I fully expect Heyman to really do his Smackdown type run in a way from early 2000's. He will have some backstage stuff but he will have his product mirror what he was doing on Smackdown for 2+ years (and Vince later admitted he fucked up removing Heyman off it due to issues he had with him) .
    Jarrett's rep comes from many of the early years of TNA. The two that stand out to me as the most egregious were Raven and Rhyno's NWA title reigns being cut short just to put the belt back on Jeff (and neither ever held the title again which made it worse). But it got toned down considerably later on, starting with Christian debuting.

Also even the Women in TNA/Impact have had many brutal and nasty matches with each other over the years.