Page 735 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 2356356857257317327337347357367377387397457858351235 ... LastLast
Results 11,011 to 11,025 of 19298

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    As for Cody vs. Jericho, because elsewhere some people are a, ready complaining about Cody getting this shot. People are going to have to get used to Elite winning matches and titles. That's what happens when they're also your biggest stars. As long as they're not ALWAYS hogging the top spots, then it's not a big deal imo. Also he went to a draw with Darby Allin so he's not beaten everyone, and it made sense for him to win his other matches. Plus I doubt that he's beating Jericho anyway.

Cody's their most over babyface right now as well, so it makes sense to push him.
    I think Cody deserves a title match and anything else he's gotten thus far. His stuff has been some of the best we've seen in AEW. Not because of the moves he performs in the matches, but because of the story and drama he brings to them. Cody doesn't deliver 150 moves and 99 miles an hour, but his performance arguably gets the fans more emotionally invested than any other performer in the company.

And honestly I doubt he's even going to win.

Extraordinary Member

Supposedly the reason he's getting the show is because of AEW's "Win-Loss rates actually matter"

Cody's got the best Singles record in the company, hence he's number one contender

Ultimate Member

Agreed. Plus they seem to be doing this Jericho vs. The Elite thing, and he's already beaten Kenny and Page. So Cody being next makes sense on that level as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Agreed. Plus they seem to be doing this Jericho vs. The Elite thing, and he's already beaten Kenny and Page. So Cody being next makes sense on that level as well.
    They need to create a new stable. Technically, SCU is one, but a group with more heat would be nice.

Jericho
    MJF
    LAX
    Ivelisse

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Supposedly the reason he's getting the show is because of AEW's "Win-Loss rates actually matter"

Cody's got the best Singles record in the company, hence he's number one contender
    Why is that in quotation? You don't expect AEW to keep their word?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Honestly, every time this has been tried by various wrestling promotions in the past it eventually gets abandoned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Honestly, every time this has been tried by various wrestling promotions in the past it eventually gets abandoned.
    Because it's easier said then to do.

I put in WWE terms.

Braun Strowman,Drew Gulak,Erick Rowan, and Big E have not lost a match in two months.Who gets the title shot? Who gets the long fued? There are too many moving pieces to just go off wins and losses.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Because it's easier said then to do.

I put in WWE terms.

Braun Strowman,Drew Gulak,Erick Rowan, and Big E have not lost a match in two months.Who gets the title shot? Who gets the long fued? There are too many moving pieces to just go off wins and losses.
    Yeah, I think ultimately wrestling is entertainment rather than a sport. So you do what better fits the narratives, and that SOMETIMES can conflict with win/loss records. Which isn't to say that you can't book things in a way which better reflects wins and loss... but ultimately it can't and shouldn't be the deciding factor in these sort of things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think ultimately wrestling is entertainment rather than a sport. So you do what better fits the narratives, and that SOMETIMES can conflict with win/loss records. Which isn't to say that you can't book things in a way which better reflects wins and loss... but ultimately it can't and shouldn't be the deciding factor in these sort of things.
    No one should get a title after a losing streak. You should have to do more than hit the champ with a chair, cut a promo on them, or win one non title match to get a championship shot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Nah, I was trying to say "Win-Loss Rates Actually Matter" thing, but forgot to type the word Thing.

I was using the sentence as an adjective

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Starting with All Out all the talent had their win/loss records displayed on their name graphic. That tells me they are serious about it. Seeing how Cody is getting a title based on his record they are putting it to practice

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Years ago , many moons ago ...back in early 1990's WCW had the Top 10-20 I believe. Listing who the number #1 contenders was on down to the World , US and Tag Team titles. As time passed it died out. I remember that TNA tried its point system as an attempt at the whole win/loss record meaning something and using it to build towards Bound for Glory. (I think Anthem dropped that concept though).

Gonna be interesting to see this play out on AEW TV soon.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Years ago , many moons ago ...back in early 1990's WCW had the Top 10-20 I believe. Listing who the number #1 contenders was on down to the World , US and Tag Team titles. As time passed it died out. I remember that TNA tried its point system as an attempt at the whole win/loss record meaning something and using it to build towards Bound for Glory. (I think Anthem dropped that concept though).

Gonna be interesting to see this play out on AEW TV soon.
    Top 10 ranking never really made sense as far as reflecting booking, because OBVIOUSLY the US champion is pretty much always number one contender. But historically mid-card champions almost NEVER got world title shots. There were exceptions... Luger got a bunch against Flair. But generally mid-card champs defending their own title despite being number one contender.

I actually liked how in Lucha Underground their secondardy title could be traded in for a world title shot (though the entire process was overly complicated the core idea was good). I think if you're going to have the IC or US champ be considered number one contender, the mid-card champ should have the option of surrendering the belt for a world title shot.

Which is why you MIGHT want to avoid having them feud with Sasha and Bayley in the near future. That's why Charlotte and Becky are a good initial first feud.. they can not only take the loses without being hurt, but actually help elevate Sasha and Bayley.

You want Sasha and Bayley to win right out of the gate for their big push, so whoever they're going to face early on will lose when it counts. If you want the Kabuti warrior to both feud and flat out BEAT Sasha and Bayley, you probably wanna wait at least until the Rumble if not Wrestlemania. Sasha and Bayley are both deserving of good solid runs, so you don't want to end it prematurely. Not when they're both hot.
    so you think becky and charlotte should lose when it counts in this program??

I think Cody deserves a title match and anything else he's gotten thus far. His stuff has been some of the best we've seen in AEW. Not because of the moves he performs in the matches, but because of the story and drama he brings to them. Cody doesn't deliver 150 moves and 99 miles an hour, but his performance arguably gets the fans more emotionally invested than any other performer in the company.

And honestly I doubt he's even going to win.
    i think you're giving cody a bit too much credit. dustin bled buckets in that match, darby did his suicide bump stuff in that match, and the last match had MJF, tully, arn and even earl bringing drama and story to the match.

even if they abandon the displaying of win loss records they can still remain true to the ideal of wins and losses meaning something, various promotion have and still do.

Sure, they can win a tag match. That's what I meant by saying they should lose when it really counts. It would be normal booking to have some sort of tag match building up to the PPV title defense with the Kabuki warriors winning to establish them as credible threats... but by hook or by crook Bayley and Sasha probably should be able to get out of the arena with the belts somehow when the titles are actually on the line. Because they are heels they don't have to win clean... though in Bayley and Sasha's case it wouldn't be entirely unjustifiable if they did win clean. Works either way.
    why not have the k.warriors win the tag match at the PPV rather than building to it?? wouldn't hurt sasha & bayley especially if they're going to defend their singles titles successfully.