Page 18 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228681185181018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WWE isn't New Japan. Not every main-event title match needs to go 30 minutes. Going that long doesn't guarantee a good match.
    Ppv main events are usually 20-30 minute long. If he can't deliver I that regard the he shouldn't be put a position where he is expected to.

Keep him as a special attraction and push someone else to be the face of the company if Braun isn't up to it. Or t least until he's up to it.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-14-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Ppv main events are usually 20-30 minute long. If he can't deliver I that regard the he shouldn't be put a position where he is expected to.

Keep him as a special attraction and push someone else to be the face of the company if Braun isn't up to it. Or t least until he's up to it.
    Brock is the current champion and when he shows up his matches don't even go that long. His match against Joe at Great Balls of Fire was 7 minutes long. His solo match with Braun was 10 minutes. The triple threat at this year's Royal Rumble was ten minutes long. Going 20 minutes is not a hard rule.

Brock is the current champion and when he shows up his matches don't even go that long. His match against Joe at Great Balls of Fire was 7 minutes long. His solo match with Braun was 10 minutes. The triple threat at this year's Royal Rumble was ten minutes long. Going 20 minutes is not a hard rule.
    Yes, and Brock is a terrible champion that delivers bad main event matches.

But to a degree he can get away with it because he's Brock Lesnar.

But the truth is you are almost certsinly right. He almost certainly will be champ, and when he does he almost certainly will give us relatively short bad championship matches. And after awhile people will complain about, as the internet often does when we get a bad champ who delivers bad matches. We'll get the same complaints about Vince big man fetish and how the locker room talent is being buried for Vinces boy, all the while forgetting this was exactly what people were asking for.

Ultimate Member

But the truth is you are almost certsinly right. He almost certainly will be champ, and when he does he almost certainly will give us relatively short bad championship matches. And after awhile people will complain about, as the internet often does when we get a bad champ who delivers bad matches. We'll get the same complaints about Vince big man fetish and how the locker room talent is being buried for Vinces boy, all the while forgetting this was exactly what people were asking for.
    Apart from Cena and Roman when did this happen? Fans don't just turn on people they like. Reigns was booed as soon as he won the Royal Rumble way back when. The fans didn't exactly turn on him as much as they didn't want him there in the first place.

We also can't count guys like Jinder because they were never over in the first place.

It's also important to note that the problem with Cena wasn't just down to him, it was how his booking was done and how ridiculously long he was in the main event spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Apart from Cena and Roman when did this happen? Fans don't just turn on people they like. Reigns was booed as soon as he won the Royal Rumble way back when. The fans didn't exactly turn on him as much as they didn't want him there in the first place.

We also can't count guys like Jinder because they were never over in the first place.

It's also important to note that the problem with Cena wasn't just down to him, it was how his booking was done and how ridiculously long he was in the main event spotlight.
    Fans turn on people they like all the time in wrestling. Ever see the first time Rock faced Brock? Or Rock against Hogan? Hbk vs Sid. You can go back to freaking Ronnie Garvin vs Flair at Starcade. Random things get fans to flip the script all the time. Sometimes it's something you can see coming and sometimes it's not ... I think in this case it's the former.

To me the cycle forking is obvious. You have a green wrestler who isn't that good yet being pushed to the main event.

Once he's there we will likely get crappy main event matches the fans will complain about while completely forgetting that they pushed for this guy to be in the main event in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll improve (Roman did a little and scene did a lot), or maybe fans won't complain about having crappy matches in the main event. We'll see ... all Im saying is that IF it happens and people do end up complaining about crappy main events from a poor in ring worker they were pushing to be in that position in the first place, no one should be all that surprised.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-14-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Ultimate Member

Fans turn on people they like all the time in wrestling. Ever see the first time Rock faced Brock? Or Rock against Hogan? Hbk vs Sid. You can go back to freaking Ronnie Garvin vs Flair at Starcade. Random things get fans to flip the script all the time. Sometimes it's something you can see coming and sometimes it's not ... I think in this case it's the former.

To me the cycle forking is obvious. You have a green wrestler who isn't that good yet being pushed to the main event.

Once he's there we will likely get crappy main event matches the fans will complain about while completely forgetting that they pushed for this guy to be in the main event in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll improve (Roman did a little and scene did a lot), or maybe fans won't complain about having crappy matches in the main event. We'll see ... all Im saying is that IF it happens and people do end up complaining about crappy main events from a poor in ring worker they were pushing to be in that position in the first place, no one should be all that surprised.
    I agree that in one off events fans do turn on people but I’m talking for extended periods like what’s happening with Roman. The Rock and Shawn Michaels still came back to massive cheers and we’re still ridiculously over in subsequent matches, Roman still gets roundly booed (unfairly at times) a good chunk of the time. It all comes down to the booking. A guy like Randy Orton is still very popular despite being a WWE product, a big guy and a person who’s been in the main event scene multiple times, this probably because his character has genuinely evolved over the years from his evolution days to the crazy head kicking character.

I’m not saying that Braun should be champion but I’m arguing against saying that he shouldn’t BE champion because the fans MIGHT turn on him. Everyone knows what kind of wrestler Braun is and the folks cheering him are doing so for exactly what he’s doing right now. He’s a monster face and WWE should simply book him like one (and not like someone like the Big Show that flipped dozens of times and lost his luster as the big monster type). Putting the strap on someone new is always a risk that could either way but the easier thing to do is do it when said superstar is hot. Braun is white hot right now and it might make sense to try him out now.

Astonishing Member

an ok show FINALLY FORUM
    Last edited by steve2275; 08-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Ultimate Member

-Joe really should win this. He needs it more than AJ and they've even built in an explanation for it (AJ's anger costing him).

-The Women's stuff has me dreading that they're doing the "build Becky up just to have her lose in the end" thing yet again, which would suck.

-Hey still no Asuka, what a freaking surprise,

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -Joe really should win this. He needs it more than AJ and they've even built in an explanation for it (AJ's anger costing him).

-The Women's stuff has me dreading that they're doing the "build Becky up just to have her lose in the end" thing yet again, which would suck.

-Hey still no Asuka, what a freaking surprise,
    I hope Joe wins too. The guy has put in the work.

The women's stuff is a lost cause. Carmella is basically Alexa 2.0 with the whole "mean girl" routine that WWE apparently love. I'd be surprised (pleasantly so) if Becky wins.

It's obvious they don't have a clear idea of what to do with Asuka. It's just the unfortunate truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's a different world than it was 10 years ago. Back then you 2005-2009 etc you had to go out of your way to find ROH tapes and old stuff from other countries. Nowadays you see more people wearing NJPW or Bullet Club shirts casually than you would see TNA merch in the 2000's when it was at it's hottest point and the clear number 2 in America. It's not hard to find this **** and everybody reports on it. The industry is a lot more globalized. Guys like Ross do NJPW stuff, Jericho travels there, they brought Nak in because of how hot he was after that WrestleKingdom match with Ibushi.

Most people in general are on the internet, it's not a niche thing like before when there was the IWC. Nearly every wrestling fan is part of the IWC now because nearly everyone is on the internet now. It's just different.
    well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Braun is super-over. It's time to pull the trigger and give him the belt already.

Hopefully there's more to the Heyman/Brock stuff because otherwise, what a gigantic waste of time/potential it all was.

Dean looking jacked, impressive.

Ronda also really needs to win at SS as well.
    which shows how fukt the booking of the womens division has been. she should definitely not need to win the title yet.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    They ruined Ryback the same way.
    true, rybread pretty much sucked anyways but still true none the less.

Braun is ready now! Waiting for a Rumble or WrestleMania is boneheaded as you risk your audience not giving a crap. That's what currently fucked over Reigns in his Lesnar feud. Braun already won a Rumble, he got the MitB, he's the most over guy in the roster. There's no reason for him not be given the belt on some b PPV if you need Lesnar to drop the belt.
    timing is so important in wrestling.
    the notion that if somebody who is over now isn't still over after 6-9 months of spinning their wheels probably never should've been in the main event imo is ridiculous.

i believe the thing with braun is less people wanting him to be champion so he can have great championship matches and cut great promos every week because we're all such big fans of his and more about just wanting there to be a point to his push and all the work people have put in to make him look good. like **** or get off the pot with the guy. whether he's good enough is an assessment that should've been made before he won the rumble or MitB.

so slapnuts is suing anthem/impact. that's what they get for ever even doing business with a flim flam man like him.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 08-15-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree that in one off events fans do turn on people but I’m talking for extended periods like what’s happening with Roman. The Rock and Shawn Michaels still came back to massive cheers and we’re still ridiculously over in subsequent matches, Roman still gets roundly booed (unfairly at times) a good chunk of the time. It all comes down to the booking. A guy like Randy Orton is still very popular despite being a WWE product, a big guy and a person who’s been in the main event scene multiple times, this probably because his character has genuinely evolved over the years from his evolution days to the crazy head kicking character.

I’m not saying that Braun should be champion but I’m arguing against saying that he shouldn’t BE champion because the fans MIGHT turn on him. Everyone knows what kind of wrestler Braun is and the folks cheering him are doing so for exactly what he’s doing right now. He’s a monster face and WWE should simply book him like one (and not like someone like the Big Show that flipped dozens of times and lost his luster as the big monster type). Putting the strap on someone new is always a risk that could either way but the easier thing to do is do it when said superstar is hot. Braun is white hot right now and it might make sense to try him out now.
    I'm not arguing he shouldn't be champion because fans will turn on him either ... I'm simply saying saying fans shouldn't push s very green so-so worker to the main event THEN turn around a year later and complain about the main events not bring that good. Which is what I think will happen.

Yes, he's a monster face and should be booked like one. But when we start getting bad match after bad match, and when he essentially puts no one over because that's how monster faces are booked, the complaints will come. He'll likely have,a long reign with bad matches where the entire lockeroom is held down to keep him strong, and then internet fans will complain about it because that's what internet fans do.

But I hope I'm wrong. If he improves great. Or if he doesn't improve but fans don't complain about it because they are getting what they asked for I can live with h that too.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-15-2018 at 05:51 AM.

BANNED

Brock Lesnar to have a special meeting with WWE officials an hour prior to Summerslam

https://411mania.com/wrestling/brock...or-summerslam/

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

He's not getting away with it because he's Brock Lesnar. The truth of the matter is that match quality isn't important to the WWE. If it were then we wouldn't have to suffer having Jinder Mahal as champion for 6 months. All of his championship matches were crap.

He's not getting away with it because he's Brock Lesnar. The truth of the matter is that match quality isn't important to the WWE. If it were then we wouldn't have to suffer having Jinder Mahal as champion for 6 months. All of his championship matches were crap.
    Having the best workers isn't necessarily the most important thing to the WWE ... but it's a pretty big deal to a very vocal portion of the internet wrestling Fan base. I can easily go back into this thread and pull out a dozen posts tells us how bad Romans Ppv or raw match was. Go back a few years and I could easily do the same with Cena. I'll just have to get used to the idea of reading the same stuff from about Braun, who is frankly worse than Cena and Reigns at this point.

Unless of course Braun improves, or internet fans stop complaining about Vinces love for pushing big dudes who don't work well and hold down other talent. But I don't think wrestling fans will ever get tired of complaining about that.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    well said.

which shows how fukt the booking of the womens division has been. she should definitely not need to win the title yet.

true, rybread pretty much sucked anyways but still true none the less.

timing is so important in wrestling.
    the notion that if somebody who is over now isn't still over after 6-9 months of spinning their wheels probably never should've been in the main event imo is ridiculous.

i believe the thing with braun is less people wanting him to be champion so he can have great championship matches and cut great promos every week because we're all such big fans of his and more about just wanting there to be a point to his push and all the work people have put in to make him look good. like **** or get off the pot with the guy. whether he's good enough is an assessment that should've been made before he won the rumble or MitB.

so slapnuts is suing anthem/impact. that's what they get for ever even doing business with a flim flam man like him.
    as good as ronda has shown herself to be in the ring, she's still only had 3 matches to her name and 2 of them were singles. and it doesn't help that she's against alexa who has been in the main event scene for too long.

it's not a good choice either way.