Page 104 of 357 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 5350

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Isn't there a panel where he does that in Priest fighting Namor? And a none energy version in that animated avengers movie?
    I thought those were energy daggers he threw at Namor.. unless I'm mistaken? I haven't seen the Avengers cartoon movie so I can't comment there

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I thought those were energy daggers he threw at Namor.. unless I'm mistaken? I haven't seen the Avengers cartoon movie so I can't comment there
    priest artist would sometimes draw the daggers coming out of the claws for whatever reason
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I'll try my best to summarise my issues with advancing T'Challa's tech to certain levels.

It's very tempting to do so. There are very few characters like T'Challa that I know of. He's the leader of the most technologically advanced nation in the world, and is a genius capable of inventing technological marvels. Priest once posed that T'Challa can invent his own Iron Man suit if he wanted to. I don't think Priest went on to answer why T'Challa chooses not to, but I think I would give same answer he would:

That's not who T'Challa is.

Right from a young age, T'Challa was trained to be the best warrior he could possibly be in order to be worthy of the Black Panther mantle. Yes, Wakanda is advanced (or became advanced under his rule depending on your continuity) and he was given the best education possible with his mind being conditioned to perform at the highest levels. But the mantle of the Black Panther isn't passed down by mental tests or displaying what a person is capable of inventing. The mantle is won by besting the current Black Panther in ritual combat. Good ole' fashioned hand to hand, martial arts fighting. Earning that mantle and becoming the Black Panther is (in my opinion) the very definition of who T'Challa is. Winning that mantle with his skills in combat and then earning the powers of the Black Panther (after being deemed a worthy warrior and person of upholding that mantle by the Panther God/Bast) is T'Challa's superpower.

The Vibranium Panther habit is his costume, and the symbol of his status as Black Panther and authority as King of Wakanda. Yes, the suit provides defence and offence like most superhero costumes do. But the suit is not his superpower. Kinetic energy is not his superpower. Advanced tech is not his superpower. T'Challa's superpower is that he is one of the best warriors walking the Earth because he he has been trained to possesses those skills, has the sharpest mind to formulate strategies and tactics on the spot and in preparation, and is further enhanced.

Sometime ago, MoS posted a poll on HEF allowing us there to vote for our favourite things about T'Challa and the BP mythos. One of the sections was for feats, which listed some of the most notably badass things T'Challa has ever done in comics. You had an option to pick three you loved I think, and I remember immediately picking T'Challa besting the Super Skrull in "See Wakanda and Die". That is perhaps T'Challa's most definitive and badass modern feat. In the issue where the feat occurs Wakanda's advanced tech is shut down by the invading Skrulls, leaving the Wakandans to fight with crude sword and shield. T'Challa comes face to face with a Super Skrull with the abilities of Captain America, Daredevil, Shang Chi, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Elektra and T'Challa himself and wins by figuring out that the Skrull cannot use two powers at the same and there's a window of opportunity when he switches. He exploits the weakness and proceeds to brutalise the Skrull, ripping his arm off, breaking his leg and removing one of his eyes. That's what an enhanced and highly trained warrior would do, and that's what T'Challa is.

Now suppose the conditions were different, and in that same fight versus the Super Skrull T'Challa has energy daggers and the energy spear, Dboi's guantlets, the bead tech I've suggested, kinetic energy hadoukens and claw attacks, and all the other tech advancements. I mean, why not use all those things in whatever combination to defeat the Skrull, right? It makes sense too, as the Skrulls has a whole bunch of enhancements like Luke Cage's skin and the Iron Fist technique, so why not match that with advanced weaponry? Sure it can lead to a cool fight and give great tech feats, but it all just leads to a conundrum:

• First, it's a question of "Who did it? The tech of T'Challa?" Giving T'Challa such powerful tech means he will be dependent on it.
    • Second, the question then becomes "Why doesn't he use it all the time?" It's like Iron Man choosing to take out goons with punches and kicks, but saves his repulsor rays for bigger threats, when we can just use the repulsors all the time. Someone will be right to ask why T'Challa doesn't just start a fight with energy guantlets, or just stand in one place so he can absorb enough energy and do a hadouken.
    • Third, you then have a point in which T'Challa has lost his purpose as a character. If you can give him such tech upgrades, why not go all out? If you make kinetic absorbtion capable of giving T'Challa burts of speed, then why can't he find a way to release it bit by bit so he runs like a speedster? If you're gonna give him energy guantlets, why not give him energy armour or something as well, complete with an energy absorbing sword?

Thus, you end up with a character that's no longer "Black Panther" but might as well be "Vibranium Man", "Kinetic Man" or "Wakandan Tech Man" since his approach to fights depends on exploiting the unique properties of Vibranium and whipping out the fanciest of technology.

Back to my favourite feat of T'Challa when he beat the Super Skrull, the alien tells him that he has trained his entire life to face the true Black Panther. T'Challa responds with a quote that every person working on a project in the BP mythos needs plastered on their wall:

"Then you have already lost. For I have trained my entire life to face the unknown."

Emphasis on the word "trained" because that evokes the image honing one's skills. Considering that T'Challa was first and foremost trained to be a warrior, this is what makes him special. So T'Challa doesn't "have their right gear for the right time" to face the unknown. What he has are his skills. His mental and physical conditions to be one of the greatest warriors on Earth. On the battlefield his mind is clear, sharp and focused, and his mastery of combat is almost unparalleled. Add to the fact that he is beyond the confines of human capability, he becomes the most dangerous man alive. The suit is just protection and weapons.

So when giving T'Challa tech upgrades, this discipline should be kept in mind. His tech gear in my opinion should bring in abilities T'Challa does not otherwise possess or can't use with his powers and skills. Why does he need energy knuckles when he punches people harder than any normal man could (with a fist already covered in Vibranium)? Why does he need energy gauntlets if his claws should be able to exploit weakness in almost any armour or flesh? Why does he need kinetic energy for bursts of speed when he's been known to fight fast enough that human eyes can't follow and runs at 50mph? Why does he really need anything that just hits harder when he's been known to wrestle down a charging rhino? He doesn't need things like that.

Which is why I like the beads as tools and can tolerate the energy daggers. T'Challa on his own can't shut down machines, so give him EMP beads. T'Challa on his own can't take control of technology, so give him remote access Kimoyo beads. T'Challa on his own can't provide quick medical assistance, so give him stabilising beads. T'Challa on his own can't counter energy signatures, so give him energy daggers/beads. That's functionality, and how he uses these can emphasise how good of a trained warrior and superhero he his, rather than diminish his abilities. I also prefer handheld grenade or throwing knife-like gear as it hearkens back to Ninjutsu techniques that undoubtedly would have been part of T'Challa's training.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Looks like Acuna is already gone. What a damn shame. He was holding the book together
    I suspect gone for the middle and then returning for the end if past has been any indication. But I will definitely be curious to see how much the book is affected.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

To be fair, that's not who T'Challa is.. is an opinion everyone has the right to have, but still opinion and subjective, unless we're talking about his most top level traits of being noble, cunning, and intelligent. But even with his nobility, some writers interpret that as him being a super nice guy.. others interpret that as a guy who will literally stop Tony Stark's heart to get his way. We all have our own T'Challa.

Priest has said (paraphrasing) that MCU T'Challa is not his T'Challa. And i understand. I could care less about Priest's feelings in that regard, but i understand. The first 12 or so issues of Hickman's T'Challa (or up until daddy-gate) was one of my favorite written BP's. It wasn't just his gadgets but it was the swag he had when using them... the same swag i felt in See Wakanda and Die when it was just h2h. I felt he was Reed's peer in intelligence, Namor's equal in brawling, and an overall calculating mofo as well.

If they're creating a David and Goliath moment with T'Challa, for me it doesn't matter the level of tech as long as the opponent is scaled up appropriately (instead of scaling BP down) and that BP still has to outthink him. He out-thought Killmonger, who was scaled up to wear an equally OP-vib suit that i wouldn't trade for the world.

Long story short, i have no issues with BP having a bunch of cool afrofuture tech within certain parameters (in prev post). That's just who T'Challa is to me, subjectively.

Cant post the pics right now, but Shuri #3 and Ghost Panther #2 come out in December as well. The solicit for #3 does not sound promising. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Cant post the pics right now, but Shuri #3 and Ghost Panther #2 come out in December as well. The solicit for #3 does not sound promising. lol
    Oh lord, what’s the solicit for #3 like?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'll try my best to summarise my issues with advancing T'Challa's tech to certain levels.

It's very tempting to do so. There are very few characters like T'Challa that I know of. He's the leader of the most technologically advanced nation in the world, and is a genius capable of inventing technological marvels. Priest once posed that T'Challa can invent his own Iron Man suit if he wanted to. I don't think Priest went on to answer why T'Challa chooses not to, but I think I would give same answer he would:

Right from a young age, T'Challa was trained to be the best warrior he could possibly be in order to be worthy of the Black Panther mantle. Yes, Wakanda is advanced (or became advanced under his rule depending on your continuity) and he was given the best education possible with his mind being conditioned to perform at the highest levels. But the mantle of the Black Panther isn't passed down by mental tests or displaying what a person is capable of inventing. The mantle is won by besting the current Black Panther in ritual combat. Good ole' fashioned hand to hand, martial arts fighting. Earning that mantle and becoming the Black Panther is (in my opinion) the very definition of who T'Challa is. Winning that mantle with his skills in combat and then earning the powers of the Black Panther (after being deemed a worthy warrior and person of upholding that mantle by the Panther God/Bast) is T'Challa's superpower.

The Vibranium Panther habit is his costume, and the symbol of his status as Black Panther and authority as King of Wakanda. Yes, the suit provides defence and offence like most superhero costumes do. But the suit is not his superpower. Kinetic energy is not his superpower. Advanced tech is not his superpower. T'Challa's superpower is that he is one of the best warriors walking the Earth because he he has been trained to possesses those skills, has the sharpest mind to formulate strategies and tactics on the spot and in preparation, and is further enhanced.

Sometime ago, MoS posted a poll on HEF allowing us there to vote for our favourite things about T'Challa and the BP mythos. One of the sections was for feats, which listed some of the most notably badass things T'Challa has ever done in comics. You had an option to pick three you loved I think, and I remember immediately picking T'Challa besting the Super Skrull in "See Wakanda and Die". That is perhaps T'Challa's most definitive and badass modern feat. In the issue where the feat occurs Wakanda's advanced tech is shut down by the invading Skrulls, leaving the Wakandans to fight with crude sword and shield. T'Challa comes face to face with a Super Skrull with the abilities of Captain America, Daredevil, Shang Chi, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Elektra and T'Challa himself and wins by figuring out that the Skrull cannot use two powers at the same and there's a window of opportunity when he switches. He exploits the weakness and proceeds to brutalise the Skrull, ripping his arm off, breaking his leg and removing one of his eyes. That's what an enhanced and highly trained warrior would do, and that's what T'Challa is.

Now suppose the conditions were different, and in that same fight versus the Super Skrull T'Challa has energy daggers and the energy spear, Dboi's guantlets, the bead tech I've suggested, kinetic energy hadoukens and claw attacks, and all the other tech advancements. I mean, why not use all those things in whatever combination to defeat the Skrull, right? It makes sense too, as the Skrulls has a whole bunch of enhancements like Luke Cage's skin and the Iron Fist technique, so why not match that with advanced weaponry? Sure it can lead to a cool fight and give great tech feats, but it all just leads to a conundrum:

• First, it's a question of "Who did it? The tech of T'Challa?" Giving T'Challa such powerful tech means he will be dependent on it.
    • Second, the question then becomes "Why doesn't he use it all the time?" It's like Iron Man choosing to take out goons with punches and kicks, but saves his repulsor rays for bigger threats, when we can just use the repulsors all the time. Someone will be right to ask why T'Challa doesn't just start a fight with energy guantlets, or just stand in one place so he can absorb enough energy and do a hadouken.
    • Third, you then have a point in which T'Challa has lost his purpose as a character. If you can give him such tech upgrades, why not go all out? If you make kinetic absorbtion capable of giving T'Challa burts of speed, then why can't he find a way to release it bit by bit so he runs like a speedster? If you're gonna give him energy guantlets, why not give him energy armour or something as well, complete with an energy absorbing sword?

Thus, you end up with a character that's no longer "Black Panther" but might as well be "Vibranium Man", "Kinetic Man" or "Wakandan Tech Man" since his approach to fights depends on exploiting the unique properties of Vibranium and whipping out the fanciest of technology.

Back to my favourite feat of T'Challa when he beat the Super Skrull, the alien tells him that he has trained his entire life to face the true Black Panther. T'Challa responds with a quote that every person working on a project in the BP mythos needs plastered on their wall:

"Then you have already lost. For I have trained my entire life to face the unknown."

Emphasis on the word "trained" because that evokes the image honing one's skills. Considering that T'Challa was first and foremost trained to be a warrior, this is what makes him special. So T'Challa doesn't "have their right gear for the right time" to face the unknown. What he has are his skills. His mental and physical conditions to be one of the greatest warriors on Earth. On the battlefield his mind is clear, sharp and focused, and his mastery of combat is almost unparalleled. Add to the fact that he is beyond the confines of human capability, he becomes the most dangerous man alive. The suit is just protection and weapons.

So when giving T'Challa tech upgrades, this discipline should be kept in mind. His tech gear in my opinion should bring in abilities T'Challa does not otherwise possess or can't use with his powers and skills. Why does he need energy knuckles when he punches people harder than any normal man could (with a fist already covered in Vibranium)? Why does he need energy gauntlets if his claws should be able to exploit weakness in almost any armour or flesh? Why does he need kinetic energy for bursts of speed when he's been known to fight fast enough that human eyes can't follow and runs at 50mph? Why does he really need anything that just hits harder when he's been known to wrestle down a charging rhino? He doesn't need things like that.

Which is why I like the beads as tools and can tolerate the energy daggers. T'Challa on his own can't shut down machines, so give him EMP beads. T'Challa on his own can't take control of technology, so give him remote access Kimoyo beads. T'Challa on his own can't provide quick medical assistance, so give him stabilising beads. T'Challa on his own can't counter energy signatures, so give him energy daggers/beads. That's functionality, and how he uses these can emphasise how good of a trained warrior and superhero he his, rather than diminish his abilities. I also prefer handheld grenade or throwing knife-like gear as it hearkens back to Ninjutsu techniques that undoubtedly would have been part of T'Challa's training.
    I get this and I understand where your coming from. And it IS a problem (or potential problem) when you give a character a lot of tech for any or nearly any given situation. As some writer's will get lazy and substitute creative thinking for the quick response, Which is why I was so annoyed by Coates use of the force push and applaud Coogler for his use. Thing is at this point it's not ton give him Tech for any situation, but rather I feel Tchalla works best when he had tech that can be used in unorthodox ways to achieve his goals something priest did very well. Or the other option, on the fly genius that Liss incorporated.

However, Hudlin's anti gun tech is also something useful despite it being a little redundant to the habit, it had an additional function that the habit didn't do. So that's a reasonable addition.

Back to the force push. Having it enhance his dash or throwing capability or jumping wouldn't diminish his skills unless it's done intentionally. But having the Kinectic energy being stored and released in blasts prevents your fears from happening, on top pf the suit being overloaded as well Which discharges the energy are counters.. the Burst of speed I mentioned as well wasn't for running faster per se but more so it would be for close quarters. Like in BvS when supes rushed the dude intothe wall to save Lois.

Basically I find Tchalla ro be alot of things. And it doesn't matter how much Tech he has as three things should always be consistent:

1 his nmind is is his true superpower

2 his tech is an extension of himself at most, supplemental at least

3 he uses his tech in an Orthodox and unorthodox manner

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Oh lord, what’s the solicit for #3 like?
    SHURI #3

NNEDI OKORAFOR (W), LEONARDO ROMERO (A) Cover by SAM SPRATT

I AM...SHURI?

A little Wakandan magic, a little astral projection and a very confused tree. Shuri cast her mind into the depths of space in a desperate bid to find her missing brother--and instead she landed in the mind of Groot! Who's about to become a crunchy snack for a huge, energy-sucking alien! Rocket Raccoon's best guns won't get them out of this one. Is Wakanda about to lose its only remaining heir to the throne?!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I mean, it doesn't appeal to me, but it feels bland and inoffensive. This feels like a book targeted at a younger audience.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    To be fair, that's not who T'Challa is.. is an opinion everyone has the right to have, but still opinion and subjective, unless we're talking about his most top level traits of being noble, cunning, and intelligent. But even with his nobility, some writers interpret that as him being a super nice guy.. others interpret that as a guy who will literally stop Tony Stark's heart to get his way. We all have our own T'Challa.

Priest has said (paraphrasing) that MCU T'Challa is not his T'Challa. And i understand. I could care less about Priest's feelings in that regard, but i understand. The first 12 or so issues of Hickman's T'Challa (or up until daddy-gate) was one of my favorite written BP's. It wasn't just his gadgets but it was the swag he had when using them... the same swag i felt in See Wakanda and Die when it was just h2h. I felt he was Reed's peer in intelligence, Namor's equal in brawling, and an overall calculating mofo as well.

If they're creating a David and Goliath moment with T'Challa, for me it doesn't matter the level of tech as long as the opponent is scaled up appropriately (instead of scaling BP down) and that BP still has to outthink him. He out-thought Killmonger, who was scaled up to wear an equally OP-vib suit that i wouldn't trade for the world.

Long story short, i have no issues with BP having a bunch of cool afrofuture tech within certain parameters (in prev post). That's just who T'Challa is to me, subjectively.
    I agree with this too
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I mean, it doesn't appeal to me, but it feels bland and inoffensive. This feels like a book targeted at a younger audience.
    That is what I mean. Based on the description, to integrated movie Shuri and make this as light as the solicit suggest, Nnedi would have to erase everything from Dark Reign to present and start almost fresh.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That is because next to Strange and presumably Carol, T'challa is a freaking light weight power wise lol. That just says more about them than him though. IW Strange was just on another planet power wise.

Playing up his ability to lead and stratagize just works for a King and General of a warrior advanced nation.

yeah... just remember the first trailer...

goosebumps
    Epic

Man I hope to see the extended version of the movie someday. Also I agree with Blind that the earlier trailers seemed to have even better coloring and CGI.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Feige/Disney needs to cut the check and make a series based on Wakanda.
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/l...ce-1202947551/

As far as fight skills, weapons and playing up to the level of your competition goes either Black Panther is cosmic level or street level!

Anti-metal claws, energy daggers, Kimoyo beads or stored kinetic energy for redistribution is load dependent... That means it's whoever he is fighting at the time!

You could end up having him fighting on this level...