Page 112 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 5350

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Fair enough. But frankly, the mythos and characters represent different things to different fans. There's a diversity of opinion within the fandom. I've been kinda apprehensive to share some of my opinions on this thread because it seems like y'all agree on alot stuff that I vehemently disagree on (for example: I'm in love with the Intergalactic Empire and I don't get the Storm hate, like at all).

And I really don't think Nnedi is the kinda writer that would be too lazy to research the characters or the mythos, its possible that she just didn't want to be shackled by it and wanted things to go in another direction. Thats gonna upset some people, but its also gonna make some people happy. I'm clearly in the happy camp.

From the stuff I've read of hers, I'd say Shuri is perfect for her, especially since it appears they're trying to fold in some aspects of the MCU version. I don't think she would fail at a Moongirl, she could probably do a good job. But if I was making the decisions I woulda put her on Shuri, and clearly marvel's thinking along the same lines
    Thing is, whole yes the mythos means different things to fans, there are also things it doesn't mean. Like Wakanda is not a place that has gender inequality, Coates showed this kn order to push an agenda. Same with making Wakanda a Columbus analog.

At its core intergalactic Wakanda is cool and something many of us here have wanted to see.. however, how it's being done (being an allegory for the slavee trade) is whst people dislike. With Storm most people here don't hate Storm, however at this point it's time to move on. Storn had been allowed to move on but Tchalla has to be waiting for return?

More so then anything it's how Coates and Nnedi have handled situations. They force the characters to behave how the plot deems, Characteristics be Damned. That's what is happening.

Of you like it that's fine but most people aren't going to be Keen on their favorite character being dumbed down or weakened because the writer doesn't want to play up the situation to their level

It all hinges on a very basic question. Does past characterization actually matter? Or does authorial intent supercede what went before?

Our new friend Pumbaa has never read Shuri before, so from their perspective, what Nnedi is doing is simply her vision of the character, and if you happen to LIKE that vision, it's all good.

But Shuri has been around for over a decade. And some folks have an emotional attachment to how she has been portrayed before. And when all that is disregarded by some newbie outsider with an agenda, it naturally rankles.

The exact same event (writers writing what they want to write) and two utterly different, and yet (to be fair) equally valid perspectives
    Last edited by DigiCom; 09-21-2018 at 05:26 PM.

siblings awww
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    It all hinges on a very basic question. Does past characterization actually matter? Or does authorial intent supercede what went before?

Our new friend Pumbaa has never read Shuri before, so from their perspective, what Nnedi is doing is simply her vision of the character, and if you happen to LIKE that vision, it's all good.

But Shuri has been around for over a decade. And some folks have an emotional attachment to how she has been portrayed before. And when all that is disregarded by some newbie outsider with an agenda, it naturally rankles.

The exact same event (writers writing what they want to write) and two utterly different, and yet (to be fair) equally valid perspectives
    It's a little bit of both.

Stories should in theory be built on continuity... but writers do have the power to retcon things. When you have characters been written by dozens of different writers spanning decades, characterization and history will change.

Honestly I think it comes down to whether or not you like it. Sometimes retcons can be seen as improvements, and sometimes not so much. In BP's case, because a lot of the more recent BP writers (Priest, Hudlin, Coates) have retconned so much, most recent retcons are just rectons of retcons.

But if push comes to shove then yes... current writers do supercede what went before at least until someone else retcons that. Doesn't matter if BUcky has been dead for decades. If Brubaker says he's alive, then he's alive. If Priest says T'CHalla is a spy in the Avengers, then he's a spy in the Avengers. It's the organic nature of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

siblings awww
    Unstoppable duo

Working in tandem as they always should've been

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's a little bit of both.

Stories should in theory be built on continuity... but writers do have the power to retcon things. When you have characters been written by dozens of different writers spanning decades, characterization and history will change.

Honestly I think it comes down to whether or not you like it. Sometimes retcons can be seen as improvements, and sometimes not so much. In BP's case, because a lot of the more recent BP writers (Priest, Hudlin, Coates) have retconned so much, most recent retcons are just rectons of retcons.

But if push comes to shove then yes... current writers do supercede what went before at least until someone else retcons that. Doesn't matter if BUcky has been dead for decades. If Brubaker says he's alive, then he's alive. If Priest says T'CHalla is a spy in the Avengers, then he's a spy in the Avengers. It's the organic nature of the genre.
    it goes back to Again what MoS said. If your changing so much or ignoring what came before, why not just write a different Character? Abd Shuri doesn't have decade's of different characterizations and different takes. She has been around for 13 years.. sorry to ignore Everything and completely 180 the Character to a point ofbbot being recognizable... Why not leave the character alone and write a different hero all together?

You mentioned BP's case but with Priest had to rebuild the character after years of bad treatment and returned him back to Lee and Kirby's interpretation. Hudlins "retcon" wasn't even supposed to be Canon until marvel made it so due to how well WitBP sold, do it's not as though he purposely changed things, and even then, like Priest he focused on the original incarnation created by lee and Kirby.

And some changes are not organic and come as hamfisted, usually in those cases it serves to change the story from Character driven, to plot driven

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Unstoppable duo

Working in tandem as they always should've been
    New Avatar picture.. badass

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    New Avatar picture.. badass
    I damn near made it my new avi as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    it goes back to Again what MoS said. If your changing so much or ignoring what came before, why not just write a different Character? Abd Shuri doesn't have decade's of different characterizations and different takes. She has been around for 13 years.. sorry to ignore Everything and completely 180 the Character to a point ofbbot being recognizable... Why not leave the character alone and write a different hero all together?

You mentioned BP's case but with Priest had to rebuild the character after years of bad treatment and returned him back to Lee and Kirby's interpretation. Hudlins "retcon" wasn't even supposed to be Canon until marvel made it so due to how well WitBP sold, do it's not as though he purposely changed things, and even then, like Priest he focused on the original incarnation created by lee and Kirby.

And some changes are not organic and come as hamfisted, usually in those cases it serves to change the story from Character driven, to plot driven
    I personally agree that if you're going to completely change a character, you might as well simply write a different character. That's why I don't feel comic Nakia needed to resemble movie Nakia like some wanted. If they want a character like the movie character in the comics, simply create a completely different character.

But like I said, ultimately it's up to marvel. Because this is faction, marvel can frankly do whatever the heck they want. If a writer can change stuff, they can. And either it'll work or it won't for the readers.

But as far as Shuri goes, I'm not sure the writer had an option to write a different character if they are hired to write a Shuri book. If they're paying you to write Shuri then you're obviously going to write Shuri. Not that I'm necessarily a fan of altering a characters personality in the general sense... but again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

In the near future all writers of Black Panther will be required to cosplay in full vibranium gear as a show of support and commitment!

https://www.iamsuperhero.com/search?...black+panther+

https://www.gamestop.com/collectible...-helmet/161198

No exceptions... Get to shopping!

This new mandate should weed out writers that might be infiltrating while secretly loving X-men characters more than established Wakandan citizens!

Interviewer: "Tell us about your new writing gig on Black Panther."

Writer: "I mean, Storm is such a wonderful character I'm really looking forward to writing her!"

Interviewer: "Okay... So which character in Black Panther is you favorite one to depict?"

Writer: "The way Storm flings her hair it's like WHOOSH and then the rain comes down!"

Interviewer: "Right... So how will T'challa factor in to your story arc?"

Writer: "Storm is like soooooo in love with Logan so I'm looking forward to exploring their relationship much deeper!"

Interviewer: "Uhm... I got nothing!"

Writer: "I'm going to dye my hair white and get blue eye contacts!"

Any questions...

guess who made the list
    The J-man

I thought Nakia was vastly underpowered in Infinity Wars... Oh wait!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get a Wakandan flag? I wanna put one up in my weightroom garage

Here is my problem with bold

- gets Venomized panther, kills T'challa off for her own character.
    - gets a chance to write Malice, she is unrecognizable
    - gets a chance to write shuri, she is apparently going to be unrecognizable to comic Shuri

Which is worse... researching and ignoring it because you think your idea is better or not researching at all?

At what point do you go, "if you don't like anything in the mythos... go write something else and leave it alone?"
    Thats a fair perspective. But I don't think she doesn't like ANYTHING in the mythos. She just believed those changes were necessary for the story she wanted to tell. I had no problem with any of those changes. I approach this rather from the perspective of "Why get a new writer if they're not going to make the series their own".

If I feel like reading Hudlin's version of Shuri, that comic still exists and I can go read it whenever I want. But if I'm reading Nnedi's comic, I want Nnedi's version of the character. Lets not act like the Black Panther mythos is even remotely recognisable to the way it was originally conceived in 1966. I'm sure every change over the years has been met with some backlash. This is nothing new. Hell, Shuri didn't even exist 2005.